Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3779 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed May 20, 2012, 03:46 Wowbagger_TIP

briktal wrote on May 19, 2012, 19:36:
Why didn't everyone flip out about Guild Wars not having offline single player? Aside from everyone being too busy arguing if it should be called an MMORPG or not. There's no real reason why GW couldn't have a separate offline mode, but it didn't and everyone was fine with that.
Actually, that was the main reason I never played it, so not everybody was fine with it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend
135. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 21:55 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on May 19, 2012, 20:35:
ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 20:18:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 19, 2012, 19:37:
ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:12:
Dades wrote on May 19, 2012, 16:34:
All things considered, the game to me is not better than Diablo 3. It's not even better than Torchlight 1, it's just the same with a larger game area. But what do I know? I'm just a Blizzard shill who can't see how amazingly brilliant Runic is for using 16 year old game design choices. At the very least they have the decency to not charge more than $20 for it.

Anyone who disagrees with your take on the game is obviously accusing you of being a shill, that's totally the same thing Rolleyes

And most of the downsides he mentions for T2 can be easily assigned to D3 as well.
Yeah, had to remind myself he was talking about TL2 rather than D3 once I got past the Alchemist point.

To be honest, Path of Exile has the best implementation of potion using IMO. You only get 5 flasks, period, which can be used for healing or mana or special powers but you only get 5 of them. You can drink them anytime but are only replenished by killing enemies. At least this way potions are limited to 5 slots only and it adds quite an edge to the gameplay.

I know I mentioned earlier that I hated Path of Exile when I played it, but the potion system I actually really liked... I also liked that the entire economy was based on a barter system rather than gold.

Now, if only someone could make a game with Diablo's story and art style, Path of Exile's potion system and economy, and Torchlight's pets... and an abilities/skill system that is both varied and meaningful... well that would be the pinnacle of ARPGs.
I'm wondering if PoE might eventually have pets anyway. They already give you those Kiwi things that follow you around, they just don't do anything yet. Seems like they could make them useful at some point.

I like PoE's skill system better than either D3 or TL2 as well. I'm curious what it will be like by the time we get to open beta, which will probably be early July. The game has been getting better by the week lately. Fun to see it evolving.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

131. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 19, 2012, 19:37 Wowbagger_TIP

ASeven wrote on May 19, 2012, 17:12:
Dades wrote on May 19, 2012, 16:34:
All things considered, the game to me is not better than Diablo 3. It's not even better than Torchlight 1, it's just the same with a larger game area. But what do I know? I'm just a Blizzard shill who can't see how amazingly brilliant Runic is for using 16 year old game design choices. At the very least they have the decency to not charge more than $20 for it.

Anyone who disagrees with your take on the game is obviously accusing you of being a shill, that's totally the same thing Rolleyes

And most of the downsides he mentions for T2 can be easily assigned to D3 as well.
Yeah, had to remind myself he was talking about TL2 rather than D3 once I got past the Alchemist point.

118. Re: Got it! May 19, 2012, 10:53 Wowbagger_TIP

The only key I've gotten is the one for the beta weekend event. I assume I won't be able to play again after that. Would like to get a full beta key so I could have some time to play around with the other classes. Unfortunately this weekend is a busy one for me.  

News Comments > Project Copernicus World Trailer
10. Re: Project Copernicus World Trailer May 19, 2012, 10:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on May 18, 2012, 23:27:
shinchan0s wrote on May 18, 2012, 19:44:
Well, it looks like they definitely had talent working for them.

It's funny, it just hit me, but I think WoW marked the end of the MMORPG golden age. I can't see any of these games being successful post-WoW. Before? Yes. The genre felt so wide-open. After? No. I can't get excited for any new MMO nowadays.

The MMO market has become stagnant because everybody is just copying the WoW formula. For the genre to be revived, developers need to try new things. Things that emphasize the whole "multiplayer" part of MMO. Players need to be able to make more meaningful choices and have more complex interactions with other players. Grinding and farming need to go away entirely. DayZ is a really good example of what MMOs should aspire to be. Player-driven experiences that explore the human condition and engage players with more than just loot and leveling.

Sounds kind of like EVE. One of the few MMOs that's broken from the formula. Unfortunately it broke from it in a way that made it far too much of a time-sink for me, but maybe that's inevitable. At least they did something different.

112. Re: Signed up! May 19, 2012, 02:31 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on May 19, 2012, 01:26:
I didn't know that, and that is good to know, but overall it seemed like a much more shallow gameplay experience than Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2. I honestly can't fathom what anyone sees in that game, other than the skill web, which while a decent enough replacement for a skill tree still seems convoluted and superfluous.

They've been adding stuff and making a lot of changes lately. Game got a lot harder after the last major patch too. Was funny watching the stress test weekend people freak out when they got their asses handed to them constantly. Still has a ways to go in terms of balancing things and adding more skills and such, but the devs have been very responsive to the issues that have been pointed out in the forums, and have made a lot of good changes.

110. Re: Signed up! May 19, 2012, 01:11 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on May 18, 2012, 21:51:
That is why I hated Path of Exile so much when I tried the beta. It was everything that was terrible about Diablo 2 without anything new. It was like the developers saw how "different" Diablo 3 was and decided to make a re-imagined Diablo 2, but without the good story and interesting classes, abilities, and enemies. All you're left with is a Skinner box without any veneer to hide the fact that it's a Skinner box (as Diablo [all three of them] has done).

Not that you don't have a point about the D1/2 devs not guaranteeing a good game, but Path of Exile hasn't even introduced the story elements into the game yet. They're still in closed beta and have deliberately left a lot of stuff out so as not to ruin the story for everyone. So passing judgement on that at this point is just nonsensical. Right now it's just basic quests and mechanics in the game.

85. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 18:45 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on May 18, 2012, 17:46:
ASeven wrote on May 18, 2012, 17:13:
(Coincidence or maybe not?)

Yes, it is. Now, if they had suddenly met all of their stretch goals (though they are close to meeting all of their goals) and jumped to 30k+ backers, then I'd call it a correlation.
Well they did meet all their stretch goals. They had to add new goals for beyond $500K (actually i don't think they even had goals near $500K originally).

On the subject of TL2, I'm having fun so far as an Outlander. Funny thing (spoiler-ish):

I found Chester Copperpot!

This comment was edited on May 18, 2012, 18:52.

65. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 14:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Apparently the TL2 login servers are stressed out at the moment :-/

Mission accomplished!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation May 18, 2012, 14:01 Wowbagger_TIP

Rhett wrote on May 18, 2012, 13:03:
Damnit, Lionhead! Quit making garbage and give us another Black & White!
Black & White was like a tech demo. They forgot to add a game!

59. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 13:41 Wowbagger_TIP

xXBatmanXx wrote on May 18, 2012, 13:22:
Hay, someone who has BETA time already in TL2, or after this weekend, let me know if the game is still "zoomed in"? The only thing that bothered me about TL was the mega zoom in feel of the game. I don't like being so close, and like to see around a lot more. Didn't matter what resolution you put the game into, it was still really zoomed in (TL1).

Already got my pre-order in for TL2.

D3, TL2, Grim Dawn.
Going to be a kickass summer!

10 hours left on Grim Dawn kickstarter too. Looks like they might even hit $500K. It's like an ARPG Renaissance right now...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

Oh, and TL2 stress test should be starting in about 5 minutes??

This comment was edited on May 18, 2012, 13:56.

15. Re: Torchlight II Stress Test This Weekend May 18, 2012, 10:56 Wowbagger_TIP

deqer wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:49:
"more beta codes to those who have already made their Runic Games Account."

and create an account on the runicgames forums and link it to your runic games account using link button in runic games account page.

it was mentioned that people should link their accounts for increased chances of receiving a key.

my runicgames account was created 2 weeks ago, but soon as i linked it to my runicgames forum account(2 days ago), I got beta key right away.

nin wrote on May 18, 2012, 10:18:
Dear god, my mouse won't be able to take all the abuse from this clicking...

kjasdaksdhasldhasdklj

Created and linked my account last weekend. Still no beta key

News Comments > Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced
46. Re: Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced May 18, 2012, 03:53 Wowbagger_TIP

Teddy wrote on May 18, 2012, 02:26:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 17, 2012, 23:55:
Teddy wrote on May 17, 2012, 20:43:
RailWizard wrote on May 17, 2012, 19:56:
That's some nice backwards logic there since I'm the one with the money, and therefore, the reason said companies exist in the first place.

No, sir. The reason said companies exist is for people who are willing to SPEND the money. So either you bitch and buy anyways, making your opinion void, or you bitch and don't buy, making you a non-customer for said companies, and thus irrelevant to them.
So by your logic we should either praise and buy every piece of shit that publishers shovel to us, or we're irrelevant? Wow. That's just beyond retarded.

And what part of that can you refute, exactly? If you bitch about their decisions but still buy their products, then they don't need to bother changing. If you don't buy their products, then you're not a customer. Businesses are generally interested in acquiring customers, hence they MIGHT care, but once they've deemed your demands will cost them more money than they'll make from the few ranting internet lunatics like yourself, then you are for all intents and purposes, irrelevant.

It's really very simple. If what you want will cost them money instead of make them money (and it will)
And let me stop your self-righteous ranting right there. You've not presented the slightest bit of evidence that wanting a complete game in the box when we buy it will cost them money rather than making them money. Companies have made great profits for many many years now doing just that.

, then they don't give a flying fuck what you want, and frankly, neither do I.
And I care about what you or they think, why? I'm not buying their crap if it's not a product that I want. If they don't want my money, then they've figure out exactly how not to get it. Most companies want my money and behave in reasonable ways in order to get it. Like selling me a product that I want without a bunch of strings or caveats or other bullshit along with it.

For every one of you that rants inanely about free DLC provided with pre-orders, there's 10 more people thinking, "Hey, I should pre-order that game to get the DLC for free. Was going to buy it anyways."
And what ridiculous internet post would be complete without statistics pulled directly from the ass? And it's not just "free DLC" with pre-orders. It's the fact that you can't even get all the content in one box because they've decided that different vendors get different stuff in their boxes.

I'm not going to buy into that sort of crap. I'll buy from those that don't do it, or at best I'll wait until their games are on sale with all of the content for half the price. If that's how they want to make money, fine, they can make their money off of others that are dumb enough to buy into it. If you want to talk numbers, the idiots of this world certainly vastly outnumber the non-idiots. I'll hang onto my money until they offer a product that I actually want. I'm not jumping through their hoops or paying for something sight unseen just because they want me to. I'll leave that to the idiots.

News Comments > Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced
41. Re: Two Borderlands 2 CEs Announced May 17, 2012, 23:55 Wowbagger_TIP

Teddy wrote on May 17, 2012, 20:43:
RailWizard wrote on May 17, 2012, 19:56:
That's some nice backwards logic there since I'm the one with the money, and therefore, the reason said companies exist in the first place.

No, sir. The reason said companies exist is for people who are willing to SPEND the money. So either you bitch and buy anyways, making your opinion void, or you bitch and don't buy, making you a non-customer for said companies, and thus irrelevant to them.
So by your logic we should either praise and buy every piece of shit that publishers shovel to us, or we're irrelevant? Wow. That's just beyond retarded.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 17, 2012, 11:08 Wowbagger_TIP

InBlack wrote on May 17, 2012, 10:51:
At least two of my friends bought new graphics cards (and one of them a new monitor) because of Diablo3.

Never underestimate the power of the dark side

New graphics cards for D3? Amazing...

News Comments > Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Prequel Movie
9. Re: Ghost Recon: Future Soldier Prequel Movie May 16, 2012, 18:04 Wowbagger_TIP

Kinda sad that the marketing budget for these games is probably at least twice the development budget.

That said, it was a pretty sweet short film. This is how action films should be done Get these guys a budget to do a full movie like this and I'm there.

This comment was edited on May 16, 2012, 18:23.

News Comments > Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy
82. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 16:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Quinn wrote on May 16, 2012, 14:37:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 16, 2012, 10:42:
TheEmissary wrote on May 16, 2012, 01:52:
This isn't an MMO for crying out loud.
Actually, this is a MMO. That's how they built it, that's how they are marketing it. THAT is the problem.

Hit the nail on the head with that comment. I wrote almost literally the same on their facebook page this afternoon.
Yeah, they made an MMO that most folks just want to play by themselves or with a couple buddies. Then to add insult to injury, they decide to blow off having the resources to let you play it. Way to go Bliz. But, as it's been pointed out, people buy their shit anyway.

76. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 14:02 Wowbagger_TIP

On a happier note, Grim Dawn just passed $400K today

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

72. Re: Diablo III Launch: Error 37 Gains Infamy May 16, 2012, 11:01 Wowbagger_TIP

MisterBenn wrote on May 15, 2012, 22:20:
Prez wrote on May 15, 2012, 21:51:
I'm still stunned Blue actually used the "arrow to the knee" line after his comment. UGH!

In fairness he referred to the phenomenon, he didn't use it.

With all the new dungeon crawlers coming out I will definitely be buying one of them... but which? D3 is out, the previous videos I saw showed very little new and exciting, and there is already a growing collection of feedback along the same lines. Also looking for single player I hate the online DRM so that makes the decision even easier.

I love the skill web and graphic style of Path of Exile but I understand it's currently crude in places. I'm not the biggest fan of the cartoon style of Torchlight 2 and I agree with TB that the tech tree seems dated now, but hearing him rave about the main combat mechanics being so satisfying I think that's probably out on top at the moment...

It is as least a health time for these games, competition breeds quality!
At least PoE is still in beta. They've been doing stress-test weekends lately. The devs are responsive and communicate with players a lot both in the forums and in the game. They tend to fix issues pretty quickly as well. Asked for a minimap, we got a minimap. Asked for better UI features for leveling skills, got them like a week later. Still has some issues, but at least they are still testing and trying to prevent these issues from impacting players. Will probably be playing this (and Warlock) until TL2 comes out.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Diablo III
248. Re: Ships Ahoy - Diablo III May 16, 2012, 09:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Krovven wrote on May 16, 2012, 04:50:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 16, 2012, 03:05:
Not trolling, just a good ol' fashioned "told ya so" to all those fanboys who were blaming all the issues during the open stress test weekend on the fact that it was beta and a stress test, and claiming that everything would be fine at release. You know who you are.

Having to deal with losing progress in a single-player game because some server puked or your net connection got screwy for a minute is just really really stupid.

And do you know what caused the outages? Most likely hardware failure. You can test and test and test...something will always fail and have to be replaced. Or, simply bugs. If the final boss isn't giving loot, you think that's worth them taking the servers down to do maintenance? Or should people that kill the final boss continue to get nothing?
Someone's in denial... but then, you live there.

Krovven wrote on May 16, 2012, 04:50:
There is no lost progress. You start from the last checkpoint, which they are frequent, just like most other games. As usual the idiots that didn't buy the game are talking out of their ass.
Getting dropped before you get to the next checkpoint is most certainly lost progress. The difference between D3 and a regular offline single-player game is, of course, the number of issues that can cause you to lose progress is multiplied greatly when you have to have a constant connection to a server which must never fail in any way, rather than just relying on your own system.

3779 Comments. 189 pages. Viewing page 39.
< Newer [ 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo