Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3797 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Crossfire Announced
11. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire Announced Jun 13, 2012, 19:32 Wowbagger_TIP

J wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 18:45:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 18:11:
J wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:23:
I want to revisit this game at some point. They did some major patchwork to introduce things like line of sight enemy reveal, sector inventory, traders restock, etc. - things which would have been awesome off the bat but were introduced some time afterwards. At the moment I'm being kept occupied with DayZ and Chaos Rising Co-op so it'll have to wait.

I tried the demo, but it seems like stealth is still not really an option in the game. Enemies seem to detect you no matter what you do. Only real way to win on the harder maps like that is to stand off and use rifles to pick off enemies as they try to close with you.

Well yeah, the demo was released before all the patching. I'd be surprised if they patched the demo half as much as the main game.

Well if they've improved the game then they should really update the demo. I'm not sure what version it was when I played it, but it sucked, and definitely didn't make me want to purchase the game. Since that's kind of the point of a demo, it's pretty stupid that they don't update it, huh?

If they ever release a good demo, maybe I'll decide to get this.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Crossfire Announced
7. Re: Jagged Alliance: Crossfire Announced Jun 13, 2012, 18:11 Wowbagger_TIP

J wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 12:23:
I want to revisit this game at some point. They did some major patchwork to introduce things like line of sight enemy reveal, sector inventory, traders restock, etc. - things which would have been awesome off the bat but were introduced some time afterwards. At the moment I'm being kept occupied with DayZ and Chaos Rising Co-op so it'll have to wait.

I tried the demo, but it seems like stealth is still not really an option in the game. Enemies seem to detect you no matter what you do. Only real way to win on the harder maps like that is to stand off and use rifles to pick off enemies as they try to close with you.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > "38 Studios Spouse" Speaks
34. Re: Jun 13, 2012, 18:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 15:49:
Cutter wrote on Jun 13, 2012, 15:41:
Something sounds very wrong with this story. I want to know why Atlas hadn't collected from 38 in 6 months. I don't know of any company that would let such a large bill slide that long. How could that not come to anyone's attention? Had 38 refused or even stalled they would have sent notice to the employees long before a final 10 day notice. And a 45 page moving contract? I find that highly unlikely. And Curt was entirely unaware of ANY of this??? Someone is either exaggerating or lying outright here. Several things about all of this are very rotten. I won't be surprised at all to find criminal wrongdoing here.

Not overly uncommon to have businesses behind on bills, especially for services rendered that don't need to be repeated. 6 months is a lot, but if Atlas assumed it would get paid they may not have forced it, at least for a few months, and when they got nowhere they apparently turned to the person they moved.

It all reeks of poor management, mismanagement, bad decisions, etc., but none of that is criminal wrongdoing. There's been zero sign of fraud or any other financial crime on 38s part, just a whole lot of bad decisions and broken contracts.

Could something surface? Sure. But nothing here is unusual. Companies implode daily. Employees and creditors don't get told until the day of regularly. I know people that have shown up to work and found the locks changed overnight. It's shitty and it sucks but it isn't criminal. Hell, changed locks often mean management was working as long as possible to find a way to keep it afloat (though they should have given up sooner to give employees a chance to move on.)

Seems like not paying them their wages should be criminal.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
19. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Jun 12, 2012, 21:41 Wowbagger_TIP

Tumbler wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 20:55:
Checking old emails, the $10 off pre order was for owners of trinity or diplomacy. No offer was made to owners of sins and entrenchment. (I believe) I have no emails regarding beta access being attached to anything besides preorders of rebellion. (pre purchases I assume, big difference) Doesn't seem like there was any offers made to the folks that bought the main game ages ago.
I only have Sins and Entrenchment, and I did get an email a while back (a couple months ago iirc) with the discount offer. Seems to still be available as long as you login to the site.

News Comments > Diablo III Patch Kills Error 37
4. Re: Diablo III Patch Kills Error 37 Jun 12, 2012, 16:50 Wowbagger_TIP

If the authentication service is busy, the login checkbox will now wait at "Authenticating Credentials" until a player's login attempt can be processed. As a result, players should no longer encounter Error 37 when logging in.

And then, since the servers are still busy, you'll wait 5 minutes and then get Error 38

News Comments > Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items
64. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 12, 2012, 15:11 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 14:50:
Listed an amulet for $60, come on internet, buy my silly stuff.

The default price is vendor price/100 which is scary btw.

Wow people are just mindlessly buying shit right now, this is stupid. My buddy sold a middling Justice Lantern roll for $50, gonna list these Stormshields I've been hanging onto and see what happens. I can't seem to sell gold though, it keeps giving me errors. Wonder if commodities are just down or something.

Wtf People are just retarded.

Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 14:50:
PVP is just going to be stupid in this game, its going to be Bank Account vs Bank Account.

Edit: thanks for paying for my copy of Diablo 3 internet

Great. Blizz figured out how to incorporate P2W into a non F2P game. That's innovation!

News Comments > Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator
123. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 15:06 Wowbagger_TIP

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 14:10:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 13:46:
AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:53:
Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:33:
and are going to add lots of interesting affixes to make items more fun.]

Hmm, where did they post this?

I read it on the discussion on reddit with Jay and some of the other designers/developers earlier this week. I would hate to misquote someone but I am almost positive they said they would have some cool affixes that no other items have to make them more legendary.
Only fixing legendary items doesn't sound like it will fix the fundamental problem of 99.9999% of loot being boring. Legendaries are so rare that changing those alone will have very little impact on the fun factor.

This was under the discussion about making legendary items cooler. I'm pretty sure there was more discussion about non-legendary items as well.
Ok, I've only heard that they were planning changes to legendary stuff. Haven't heard anything about other items.

News Comments > Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator
121. Re: Diablo III Item Duping Hotfixed? RMAH to Require Authenticator Jun 12, 2012, 13:46 Wowbagger_TIP

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:53:
Verno wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 12:33:
and are going to add lots of interesting affixes to make items more fun.]

Hmm, where did they post this?

I read it on the discussion on reddit with Jay and some of the other designers/developers earlier this week. I would hate to misquote someone but I am almost positive they said they would have some cool affixes that no other items have to make them more legendary.
Only fixing legendary items doesn't sound like it will fix the fundamental problem of 99.9999% of loot being boring. Legendaries are so rare that changing those alone will have very little impact on the fun factor.

60. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 12, 2012, 13:40 Wowbagger_TIP

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 11:22:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 10:35:
Turglar wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 08:51:
Yeah they sure are fucking us left and right trying to make a few bucks on modest fees on their optional RMAH in their non subscription based game with no microtransactions.
I've never heard a 30% fee described as modest before. Guess that's just how things are in the mind of a fanboi. I won't even call the fee the part that is fucking players, it's the horrible economy (due to bots and exploits), lousy loot drops, and lack of balance testing that is doing that.

Not that I care, as even if you are in the AH you are getting free money for things you found in a virtual world - but isn't it 15%?
From what I've read, there is a 15% transaction fee, and an additional 15% fee when you transfer funds from the RMAH to your own account (paypal or whatever). So, effectively a ~30% fee.

53. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 12, 2012, 10:35 Wowbagger_TIP

Turglar wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 08:51:
Yeah they sure are fucking us left and right trying to make a few bucks on modest fees on their optional RMAH in their non subscription based game with no microtransactions.
I've never heard a 30% fee described as modest before. Guess that's just how things are in the mind of a fanboi. I won't even call the fee the part that is fucking players, it's the horrible economy (due to bots and exploits), lousy loot drops, and lack of balance testing that is doing that.

PC Gaming > Skyrim Tweaks/Links/Info, etc
14. Quick Question Jun 12, 2012, 03:12 Wowbagger_TIP

Are the performance mods, like the CPU Patch still needed, or has something like that been released in an update already? I should get my new vid card tomorrow and I'm looking into the graphics mods to try with it. Just wanted to make sure I still get good performance.  

38. Re: Diablo III Asia Downtime to Remove Duped Items Jun 12, 2012, 02:41 Wowbagger_TIP

Kosumo wrote on Jun 11, 2012, 23:30:
Well to me, the proof will be in what they do, not what has happened.

If the fact that it is all ways on DRM/Single-player means that they have good data recording and can tell what is a dupe item and what is a ilget (true) item due to them generating all real items server side and they can manage what as happened, then anit that better than un-controlled item duping?

I just wish to ask those who are against the all ways on DRM, what would they have done to help keep the intergrty (lack of cheating) in an AAA (i hate that term) title that was design to be played online in co-op?

Cheating wreck a lot of online gaming and I'm happy that people are making an effort to combat it.

There will always be cheating thought.

Anyone got any answers to cheating other than always on?

If you can't do it right, then don't make that kind of game? And has Bliz actually made much of an effort to fight the cheaters? From all the stories we've seen so far, I'd say not really. The economy looks like it's gonna go downhill real quick with the inflationary prices. Why bother with an economy at all if you can't control it in a way that still makes the game fun?

They've got auction houses that look to detract more than add to the fun of the game, a hardcore mode that's worthless because of the online-only requirement, serious balance issues, and bots and other forms of cheating that they don't seem to be doing much about. I really don't understand what they're trying to do with this game, aside from making assloads of money. Maybe that's the only point to the whole thing?

Jerykk wrote on Jun 12, 2012, 00:51:
I've never really understood the point of having an auction house in a game that's entirely driven by loot. Really, the only reason people play it is to get loot. If you're just going to buy loot from the auction house, why bother playing at all?

Pretty much sums it up right there.

News Comments > Blizzard on Cheating
24. Re: Blizzard on Cheating Jun 11, 2012, 23:13 Wowbagger_TIP

Given the miserable job Blizzard did in testing the game before release, and their apparent lack of interest in doing anything to control the cheating that has been happening since day one, I sure wouldn't have any confidence in their Warden system to do much of anything to improve the situation. That would presume that they actually put significant thought and testing into it and that they'll actually follow through with enough banning to make a difference. What are the odds?

So glad I didn't buy into this game.

News Comments > Ken Williams Interview
6. Re: Ken Williams Interview Jun 11, 2012, 01:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Silicon Avatar wrote on Jun 10, 2012, 22:41:
All the text cursor really did was pad the gameplay with frustrating "guess the right word combination" frustration. Most people still just spammed combinations of items on objects in the room until something happened. All moving to a mouse interface did was highlight the fundamental flaw of Sierra adventure games..
This is pretty much why I never got into those kinds of games. They were far too random in what would work and what wouldn't. Not really my idea of fun.

News Comments > Diablo III Hotfixes and More
13. Re: Diablo III Hotfixes and More Jun 9, 2012, 19:34 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 18:00:
NKD wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:56:
eunichron wrote on Jun 9, 2012, 17:42:
The pots were the #1 spot for botting. You don't have to kill anything to get there, and there are no enemies in the area. You could make 40k+ gold in an hour doing nothing other than breaking pots totally unimpeded.

Oh no! 40k! We must stamp that out immediately. In two weeks, you might be able to buy a piece of gear.

It depends on who you ask, some people claim they could make as much as a million an hour, but the point is it was a nerf to try to stamp out bots, not people who were running it themselves.
With a disparity that big, somebody REALLY doesn't know what they're talking about.

News Comments > Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play
3. Re: Crytek Going Entirely Free-to-Play Jun 8, 2012, 21:47 Wowbagger_TIP

I really don't care about this. They'll either produce something good that I actually want to play, like Tribes:Ascend or they'll produce crap that I won't even bother with. The F2P thing is going to get bigger and more competitive. They'll either produce games that people actually want to play, or they'll fail. That's fine with me.

I even think there is a market for P2W games, as a lot of people seem to like playing them. It's just a market that I can safely ignore.

News Comments > FTL Closed Beta This Month
10. Re: FTL Closed Beta This Month Jun 8, 2012, 00:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Dev wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 23:58:
Sugarman wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 23:15:
How does stuff that looks like this get almost instant funding, and really good titles like "Nexus 2" can't even get to 1/4 of it's goal.
I think it was a combination of things, but probably timing was a big part of it. They also didn't use kickstarter, they used something else entirely. They should try again on kickstarter, they might get lucky now after the big DF kickstarter.
Maybe so. I never even heard about Nexus 2. I'm assuming it's a sequel to NtJI, which was pretty good, at least up until it became a just trial-and-error exercise to find a workable stealth approach. I remember that being about where I lost interest in what was otherwise a fun game.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Details
8. Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dawnguard Details Jun 7, 2012, 23:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Just started another play-through a couple days ago. Decided it was time to upgrade the old video card now too, so just ordered a new one so I can run with all the spiffy HD mods. Now I have this to look forward to as well. Can't wait. Insta-buy for me as long as there are no major technical issues.  

News Comments > Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes
17. Re: Diablo III Patched & Next Patch Notes Jun 7, 2012, 10:52 Wowbagger_TIP

briktal wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 09:49:
panbient wrote on Jun 7, 2012, 06:31:
The Pyro wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:46:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jun 6, 2012, 21:36:
No mention of interface changes yet?

For a game that's been in development for more than a decade I would certainly hope the interface was ironed out by now.

You would think so but how hard would it have been to implement a 2nd loadout for skills and weapons (kind of exactly like how you could have 2 weapon sets equipped in Diablo 2...)

Or maybe making potions auto-pick up.

Or better yet... how about making the Gems and Crafting Pages any other colour besides white when they drop.

Or maybe an option to not even display loot below a certain level. I think it gets kind of annoying to have to dump out white and grey loot I accidentally picked up while trying to collect gems and potions.

Nothing of what I just suggested is overly complicated nor hasn't already been done in either Diablo 2 or any of its derivatives.

From the AMA they did on reddit yesterday, they are planning on making potions/gems/pages a different color and also looking at adding options to filter out white/grey items.

Utterly amazing that they're just now figuring this out, given that D2 and other games have already done it. While I always thought the game was going to end up being pretty shallow, even by ARPG standards, I'm still amazed at how many things they screwed up in such a long dev cycle.

News Comments > Peter Molyneux's $78K DLC
13. Re: On Sale Jun 7, 2012, 10:49 Wowbagger_TIP

I can't imagine much of anything besides a huge amount of cynicism driving this idea. It's like some kind of blatantly obvious experiment to generate data that will help them figure out more efficient ways to separate gamers from their money. Fuck you Peter.  

3797 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 37.
< Newer [ 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo