Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3806 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Far Cry 3 Delayed
38. Re: Far Cry 3 Delayed Jun 25, 2012, 23:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Axis wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 20:24:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 17:34:
Axis wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 16:34:
I don't use Win Vista/7 unless it's required. DirectX had nothing to do with it's horrid controls.

If a company can't implement solid controls that veteren PC users expect - it's in the garbage bin no matter what else the game features.

A good majority of people these days have no idea what PC controls are supposed to feel like - they are just as happy to put on an xbox controller and call it amazing. These same people would load up a game of quakelive and quit within a few minutes convinced everyone was hacking or just annoyed at how terrible they are then blame the game.
I was gaming before mice were even used for FPS games, so let's cut the bullshit "people these days have no idea" nonsense. There was nothing wrong with the control system for FC2. As for the "I don't use Win Vista/7 unless it's required" statement that just means you don't play games as they're supposed to be played - heck, you can't even run games like BF3 on XP. Anybody that still uses XP for gaming has zero credibility. Still, I'd expect nothing less from someone with a post history as questionable as yours.

FC2 had plenty of gameplay issues - most of which have already been mentioned - but the PC version was excellent. It was well optimised, had superb graphics and DX10 features exclusive to PC, it had excellent controls, it had incredibly short load times and aside from the overly elaborate menu system (which was a design decision not an issue) couldn't be faulted. Initially it didn't allow you to change the FOV but that was patched in and was changeable manually beforehand. You can complain all you want about the game but don't spread bullshit lies about control issues.

So you were one of the nubs using a keyboard in QWTF crying "CHEATERS!!" while I was mouse hunting you over and over...

Google is your friend, use it. Try "far cry 2 mouse problems" and shut the hell up about 'my lies'.

And you sound like a complete moron when you disregard XP. Newsflash genius - it's STILL the best system for gaming on. 11 processes, 140m pf usage. I'll bet your Vista/7 system has a minimum of 30 processes running on bootup, most of which you don't even know what they do, all of which you had no hand in optimizing.

Grow up butthurt boy, don't get all defensive about your lack of dissecting facts - it only makes you look more stupid.

Play with XP all you want, it's going away whether you like it or not. I like Win 7 with all the RAM I can stuff in it because I can (and almost always do) have several large memory consuming apps running in the background while I take a break to do some gaming. So I can play Skyrim without a hitch and then go right back to what I was doing before. Try that with your puny XP Mwahaha

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Far Cry 3 Delayed Jun 25, 2012, 17:21 Wowbagger_TIP

ItBurn wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 16:42:
I've personally never had any problem with the game. Sure it had some flaws, but come on. It was a fully open world with non-linear gameplay, exploration, you could play the way you wanted and it had a ton of crazy and original features like the insane fire and foliage destruction effects.
I guess you guys would rather have call of duty 58, the wonderful 100% scripted shooting gallery. I'm sure it has no bugs.

Yeah, all that cool stuff is nice, but when the game has so many annoying features that it's just not fun to play, it's not really a good game.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

19. Re: Far Cry 3 Delayed Jun 25, 2012, 16:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:21:
Kythlyn wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 14:15:
Far Cry 2 is STILL a mess on PC. Bugs everywhere.

I didn't really put much time into FC2, what specifically were the problems? Just curious, I vaguely remember the respawning enemies being obnoxious and hated the malaria implementation but that was more my opinion than actual bugs.
Yeah, I don't really remember any bugs, just a lot of really annoying gameplay design decisions that made it feel like the game just wanted to make me quit. The fact that those things couldn't be changed or modded out was probably the most frustrating thing about it. I played it for a little while and then moved on to something fun. Too bad, because it had a lot of potential. Hope that designer never gets involved in another FC game.

Annoying things, off the top of my head:
  • malaria crap

• respawning enemies (I just fucking killed you 2 minutes ago!!)

• ridiculously frequent and repetitive car chases

• omniscient enemies

• BS "secret mission" crap to justify everyone trying to kill you

• interface still felt kind of console-y (minor thing.. but still)

• This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2012, 16:14.

News Comments > Meet the Pyro & Team Fortress 2 Features Near
    10. Re: Meet the Pyro & Team Fortress 2 Features Near Jun 25, 2012, 16:01 Wowbagger_TIP

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:16:
    Verno wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 15:14:
    deqer wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 14:42:
    Although their "Meet the *" videos are nice, the game TF2 still remains to be overly balanced to the point of being handicapped with it's newbie classes like Spy, or it's random critical hits mechanism; it's just so boring now because there is no sense of skill or control or dominance when you have so many shit random factors like that in the game.

Hahaha come on, in what universe is Spy a newbie class? It is one of the most difficult classes to play effectively and requires a lot of foresight and strategy. Opposition teams are well trained to shoot first on many servers so you have to effectively imitate other players, their routes and know where what class will be when which requires a well rounded understanding of class balance in general. You also need good timing and instinct to pick your goals to best help the team, not to mention a bit of luck.
    deqer's definition of a newbie class is probably "whichever class usually kills me in something that I think wasn't a fair fight." He probably imagines that spies just walk around cloaked or disguised, killing whoever they want instantly with bacstabs.
    No kidding. I've tried playing a spy occasionally, but I've found that I don't have the patience for it. It really is a difficult class to play well. I see lots of really lousy spies though, and they tend to get repeatedly killed in humiliating ways on most servers

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
    7. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 25, 2012, 13:14 Wowbagger_TIP

I still use Winamp, but find myself listening to Pandora stations more often these days.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 25, 2012, 13:10 Wowbagger_TIP

LurkerLito wrote on Jun 25, 2012, 11:31:
    My biggest complaint about it is that it's only console, so my PS3 is the only way to play it. I'd LOVE to have this on PC running at a better resolution, with a significant increase in drawing distance with reduced pop ups and faster loading.

I tried the 360 demo, but hated the controls. I'll wait and see if it ever comes to PC. I hate playing anything that requires aiming on the console.

News Comments > Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained
    5. Re: Scrolls Alpha Nears; Beta Plans Explained Jun 25, 2012, 11:31 Wowbagger_TIP

I would definitely be on board for a new Etherlords-like game. Not sure if this is that though.  

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo
    7. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 23:12 Wowbagger_TIP

MisterBenn wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 19:30:
    MTG Online is the money sink, not this one. Duels of the Planeswalkers was incredibly cheap for 2012, the game itself was under 15, I don't recall, and there were 3 DLCs of 1.99 each that added a total of 8 new decks. I played that over 100 hours and much longer than that modding in more cards and decks with the unofficial tools, it's the best value for money game I've played in a while.

The 2013 iteration is 6.99! Even with just the vanilla decks I'd recommend this straight away to someone who enjoys playing Magic. I've never touched a real card in my life, I just play this on the basis of it being a turn based strategy game with very good rules and AI.
    Yeah, you're right. I was thinking MTGO. This is the one that I wasn't big on because it doesn't let you build your own decks. I guess it's ok if you don't care about that part and just want to play with the decks they give you. I remember trying the demo for last years' version, but it seemed like the second (iirc) opponent was almost impossible unless you got really lucky with your draws.

News Comments > Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo
    2. Re: Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 Demo Jun 24, 2012, 18:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Money sink.  

News Comments > Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise
    101. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 24, 2012, 18:47 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 17:53:
    Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 19:15:
    I can't think of much of anything that Romney would do that would be any better than Obama. I can think of plenty of things that he'd do that would be worse, given what we heard from him during the primaries. I'm no fan of either, but given the choice, I'd rather vote for Obama. He's just the lesser evil in this case.

THIS EXACTLY.

Obama is an intelligent, pragmatic moderate centrist. There are some liberal things he does like Lilly Ledbetter. There are some compassionate things he does like deprioritizing illegal immigrant children deportations (children who are Americans in all but name and not here due to any fault of their own). There some centrist things he does like supporting gay marriage (after more than 50% of the population came out in support). There are some conservative things he does like implementing a Republican healthcare law (all private, no public option, no single payer). And there are some very neocon things he does: order the execution (not capture) of OBL. Increasing the defense budget. Expanding the war in Afghanistan. Expanding illegal monitoring of his own citizens even more than Bush. Supporting an attack on Libya in an illegal war. Killing American citizens without due process. Ordering the creation of viruses to destroy Iran's infrastructure, something if done to use would be an act of war.

Romney's administration would be a disaster. His budget would drastically increase spending while slashing revenues adding trillions to the debt, which is typical during Republican administrations, despite their claim of being fiscally conservative. Romney has said he would bypass congress to start war with Iran, showing he gained no lessons from our debacle in Iraq.

Yes, it just shows that that is how deep the ridiculous "sports team" mindset goes. People will engage in all sorts of mental gymnastics to condemn the "other guy" for things that they would applaud if they were done by someone on their team. It's just so utterly stupid, but that seems to be how the majority of the country sees things.

I assume that's why people like RT here will make all sorts of claims, but not back them up with actual substance. They usually form the opinion first (often cribbed from pundits), and then their confirmation bias takes over to rationalize it. This is why he had no evidence to point to. Even he isn't sure why he believes what he does, as he just has anecdotes and hearsay to support it.

96. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 24, 2012, 12:45 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 12:12:
    Dades wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 10:47:
    Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 02:09:
    I'm simply asking what you're basing your beliefs on this subject on. I don't think that's too much to ask, do you?

He retreats from details at every opportunity and speaks in vague, second hand talking points. I'm starting to doubt he even has beliefs of his choosing. This is the danger of politics really, people so intensely fervent yet they can't even explain how they arrived at that basis. It's yours, own it!

Prez wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 08:19:
    The reason I don't get bent out of shape about it is two-fold. First, given that these people are essentially the product of a failed "nanny state" initiative, it is not their fault - it's the fault of the government and society at large that created the dependency in the first place. Secondly, census data shows that at any given time, there are about 1 to 2 million welfare recipients in America. While that's probably too many, given that it's less than 1 percent of the country's population and a great many of that number are certainly not abusing the system, the number almost ends up being too small to worry about.

Precisely. If only people got that worked up over banking deregulation or our burgeoning military spending. I lean pretty far toward the right but we have many people with their political priorities all out of whack. Political tit for tat is the name of the game. People no longer seem to actually understand the things they rail against. It's not about oh I hate the idea of healthcare because insert reason here, its about hating healthcare because the other party likes it. People aren't even in the drivers seat anymore, they form their beliefs based on the oppositions actions, its disgusting.

How is pointing you to google's many cases vague? Listen, you folks can enjoy your nanny state initiatives, and let me know when Barry sends you a mortgage check. I'm over it at this point.
    I already told you why. Because those cases don't tell us the extent of the issue or how it affects the budget and economy. I can point to cases of all sorts of crime, but without knowing the statistics behind it, we don't know how bad the problem is. You seem to be going off your gut rather than facts. I certainly don't like the idea of people getting a free ride on my tax dollars either, but I'm looking for the facts about the extent of the problem, not a bunch of ranting, assumptions, and Google anecdotes which seems to be all you're willing to provide.

Unless you'd like to provide us with some evidence that supports your belief that this is such a huge issue, I don't see any reason to continue this. At this point, I don't think you're being even remotely rational.

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter Funded
    26. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 24, 2012, 11:19 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 10:17:
    Bet wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 19:49:
    nin wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 19:01:
    zombiefan wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 15:17:
    I guess it was only a matter of time before the DLC/nickel-and-diming mentality hit Kickstarter too.

Yeah, who the fuck uses stretch goals?

Er, wait...

The entire post from the poster name down doesn't make sense. zombiefan bashing potentially good/great zombie game stretch goals adding more goodness/greatness. WTF?

Noticed that myslef. I found it quite ironic too.

DLC has been around since the early 90's when it was routine for game developers to add content to their games via free downloadable updates. It just wasn't called DLC back then. I can see having an issue with paid DLC, as a lot of it is of dubious value to say the least, but that's not even remotely close to what's being done here.

Alpha Protocol had the best implementation of choice & consequence of any RPG.

Yep. It was definitely criminally underrated in that regard, though perhaps understandable considering how undercooked the game was overall.
    It had a few annoying bugs, like mouse sensitivity issues in the mini-games, but overall it was a great game. I think it deserved a lot better than it got in reviews. I played through it three times in a row when I first got it. Very few games manage to hold my attention that well. The dialog was pretty well-written too.

91. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 24, 2012, 02:09 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 24, 2012, 02:03:
    I think it comes from doing IT in a school system and watching kids get constantly coddled left and right. The administration is more worried about bullying rather than actual teaching most of the time.

Not only that but they tend to put the cart before the horse often, most of the computers in this system are nearly 10 years old, years out of warranty, but instead of trying to get grants or using the money in the budget to replace them, they'd rather spend it on infocus projectors and shit like that, that said machines can barely function while using. Constantly using the mantra of "21st century technology!" um no sorry your Pentium 3 800 mhz machines are not 21st century technology.

Dude google is your friend, there's tons and tons and tons of documented welfare fraud out there.

Your guess is as good as mine as to what a solution would be, however between loopholes in the welfare system and loopholes in our current tax code the route we're currently going is not sustainable. We'll end up a Greece type of situation eventually, it's only a matter of time no matter what party is running the show.

I'm sure there are schools that have screwed up spending priorities. That's not what I'm trying to discuss right now.

I know I can find all kinds of stuff with Google. I'm asking where you, specifically, got the information that has you so riled up about this. You just refuse to provide it. From what you say, it's like you've read some stories about welfare fraud, and seen kids get "coddled", whatever that means. I'm sure there are lots of cases of welfare fraud, but you haven't given me any reason to believe that they make up anything like a significant percentage of welfare recipients or spending. Yet you seem to think there is some sort of epidemic that is a threat to our economy.

I'm simply asking what you're basing your beliefs on this subject on. I don't think that's too much to ask, do you?

89. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 24, 2012, 00:37 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 23:05:
    Do a google search for welfare fraud, look at the 1000's of cases. To pretend it happens to little that it's insignificant is silly. I've said more than a couple times in this thread I have no problem with helping people via social programs that really need it and who do their best to contribute back into the system.
    Looking at cases doesn't tell me where you're getting your statistics from. You seem to think it's a large problem. Why do you believe that? Where do you get the numbers? How many cases are there? What percentage are they of the whole?

Then, there's also the question about what to do about it. Are there sensible fixes that can be put into place to improve the system without turning it into a bureaucratic nightmare that is so top-heavy with red tape and layers of review that it becomes a textbook example of an inefficient government program? Can we fix it in ways that don't cost more than they're worth, and don't screw over the people that actually need the help? All your ranting about liberals so far has addressed none of this.

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 23:05:
    I just can't stand the entitlement/PC mentality we have now in the US however. Granted since liberals pretty much run most of the public school systems at this point, I can't say I should be too surprised.
    Right, because liberals love welfare fraud. They don't care how many people are mooching off the system, they just want everyone to have whatever they want for free. You really need to get off this kick of generalizing about the beliefs of this vaguely defined group you call "liberals". I notice you weren't too keen on the generalizations about conservatives earlier either. Maybe you should think about it a bit before you slap labels on people. I wonder if you'd consider me a liberal? I mean, we obviously do disagree on some things...

86. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 23, 2012, 22:20 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 21:10:
    Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 19:12:
    RollinThundr wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 17:35:
    descender wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 17:31:
    Capitalism is the way to live prosperous? Greece went bankrupt because of capitalism. Spain went bankrupt because of capitalism. The entire Euro Zone is going to collapse because of capitalism.

Capitalism creates divide, nothing more. Haves and have nots. That's a better life?

Not everyone using the public systems available to them are "leeching. Yes, leechers should be dealt with. Most people use those systems to vault back into the mediocrity of the lower middle class.

Go capitalism.!

Greece wasn't/isn't capitalistic.

I didn't call everyone a leech, but to pretend there isn't many out there abusing the system is flat out laughable.

Are you ever going to provide any actual evidence for this massive number of leeches that you keep talking about? How many are there? How much are they consuming? You want to cut all these services, but you haven't actually shown any reason to cut them, nor any rationale for how much they could be cut without essentially throwing more people out into the street than we already have.

I see plenty of people living on the street around here. They don't seem to be getting much in the way of help either. Not more than they can fit in their shopping carts or trash bags anyway. Where are you getting your info from?

I never said I wanted to cut all of it, I said fix the loop holes so people that ARE CAPABLE OF WORKING. Who refuse to can't take advantage forever.

(edit) I didn't mean you want to cut all services, but that you want to cut a variety of services. I'm asking you to provide evidence for this massive fraud that you're talking about. You keep claiming that there's so many people just living high on the hog on the backs of taxpayers. Where's your evidence? Which specific loopholes are you referring to?

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 21:10:
    I'm sorry that that idea doesn't mesh with the bleeding heart liberal utopia of the rich paying for everyone else to live. Real life doesn't work that way.

Then you have someone say that hard work doesn't get you anything. Which is another line of flatout bullshit. Stop being entitled brats and earn a life.
    And this is just a bunch of non sequitur crap that has nothing to do with my question.

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2012, 22:47.

News Comments > Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change
    51. Re: Diablo III 72 Hour Restrictions to Change Jun 23, 2012, 19:19 Wowbagger_TIP

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 19:05:
    Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:21:
    AngelicPenguin wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 14:15:
    Luke wrote on Jun 22, 2012, 13:19:
    talk to kotaku but not the d3 forum ok ok

So many of your posts are like fun little riddles. I'm thinking "what is he trying to convey here" with your short little sentences with words that don't quite fit together.

Seems pretty obvious. He's annoyed that they will talk to Kotaku, but not answer these questions in the D3 forums where actual D3 players are asking them.

Ahh - except they have a giant sticky in the forums about this saying what looks like the same thing as Kotaku has. ok ok.

Never said he was right. Just that his post wasn't difficult to understand. I haven't been to the D3 forums, so I don't know specifically if there are things that Blizzard isn't answering there.

83. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 23, 2012, 19:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 06:21:
    I think Obama has been a terrible President. I agree with almost nothing that he has done or stands for (although the libertarian in me appreciates some of what he is trying to do with gay marriage and easing up senselessly harsh drug laws). His predecessor was an unmitigated disaster, as much as I wanted to like him (and did in the beginning). I also think McCain would have been just as much of a disaster. With Romney as my alternative to Obama, I don't have much hope going forward, at least in the short term. I'll vote for Romney I guess but only because I object to not voting at all. I view voting like jury duty - a required civic duty that I'd really rather not do, but I always will do it because it's my civic duty.
    I can't think of much of anything that Romney would do that would be any better than Obama. I can think of plenty of things that he'd do that would be worse, given what we heard from him during the primaries. I'm no fan of either, but given the choice, I'd rather vote for Obama. He's just the lesser evil in this case.

82. Re: Curt Schilling on 38 Studios' Demise Jun 23, 2012, 19:12 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 17:35:
    descender wrote on Jun 23, 2012, 17:31:
    Capitalism is the way to live prosperous? Greece went bankrupt because of capitalism. Spain went bankrupt because of capitalism. The entire Euro Zone is going to collapse because of capitalism.

Capitalism creates divide, nothing more. Haves and have nots. That's a better life?

Not everyone using the public systems available to them are "leeching. Yes, leechers should be dealt with. Most people use those systems to vault back into the mediocrity of the lower middle class.

Go capitalism.!

Greece wasn't/isn't capitalistic.

I didn't call everyone a leech, but to pretend there isn't many out there abusing the system is flat out laughable.

Are you ever going to provide any actual evidence for this massive number of leeches that you keep talking about? How many are there? How much are they consuming? You want to cut all these services, but you haven't actually shown any reason to cut them, nor any rationale for how much they could be cut without essentially throwing more people out into the street than we already have.

I see plenty of people living on the street around here. They don't seem to be getting much in the way of help either. Not more than they can fit in their shopping carts or trash bags anyway. Where are you getting your info from?

News Comments > Dead State Kickstarter Funded
    15. Re: Dead State Kickstarter Funded Jun 23, 2012, 19:02 Wowbagger_TIP

Liked the video for this one. Gonna have to read through some of the info on it to decide whether I want to buy in or not. So far I've only contributed to Shadowrun, Wasteland and Grim Dawn.  

News Comments > 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo
    9. Re: 3DMark DirectX 11 Tech Demo Jun 22, 2012, 14:27 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow. I am the opposite of blown away. I am unblown here.  

3806 Comments. 191 pages. Viewing page 35.
    < Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo