Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3800 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Valve Counters EA Jul 12, 2012, 02:40 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 00:54:
I was listening to the PCG podcast (UK edition) and they were talking about Spec Ops: The Line. And it sounds pretty good. And I realized, I'd never pay $50 for a game like that. I just never would, b/c I wouldn't play it enough to justify the price. So, if it never came down in price, that company would be getting 0 of my dollars. I just don't play shooters that much.

However, if it comes down to $15 or $10, I would buy it. The amount I would play it would then justify my spending that money. For example, COD games take forever to come down, so I only own the older ones. I just don't buy them.

So it comes down to this: Does EA want $10 of my dollars, or $0? That's the question.

Pretty much. These guys are usually republicans, hard core capitalists, you know? They talk a good game about "growing the pie" rather than re-dividing it, but they're apparently too stupid to recognize when they actually see a case of that happening rather than it just being smoke they're blowing up someone's ass.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Secret World Content Plans
26. Re: The Secret World Content Plans Jul 11, 2012, 22:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Nomaar wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 20:46:
6) You're complaining about the tutorial? Are you serious?
Why is that somehow an invalid complaint? A lousy tutorial can be a real turnoff for new players.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

19. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 17:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 13:58:
Enahs wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:41:
PA is the most overrated thing on the internet anyway.

They have some amusing comics from time to time but I don't know how that translates into "Give us a quarter million dollars every year". Yeah...no thanks, you guys aren't that essential.

I suppose they could go back to this idea if this doesn't work out.

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears
17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 11, 2012, 17:24 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 15:35:
Send them a bunch of tweets even, they will give you a key for "enthusiasm", I've seen it several times. For the notifications I just meant turn off the non-essentials so your phone/email doesn't get flooded with crap.
I've sent about 4 tweets so far... I guess I'll just keep trying every now and then until I can get one...

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 11, 2012, 15:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 14:13:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 13:56:
I signed up, and pestered and got nothing

Did you other guys just tweet to @planetside2 and ask for a key? I just signed up, but wasn't sure what to do to get a key...

I just signed up and started bugging them for a key. "Give me a key please, this beta sounds really good" type stuff. Make sure you are "following" them and your first visit upon registering for Twitter should be turning off all notifications other than Direct Messages. They usually DM you the key.

Ok, I'm following them. Not sure what you mean by turning off all the notifications. I turned off some of the email notifications, and just left the "email me when" type of notifications on. Sent them a tweet... now I just wait I guess...

8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 11, 2012, 13:56 Wowbagger_TIP

I signed up, and pestered and got nothing

Did you other guys just tweet to @planetside2 and ask for a key? I just signed up, but wasn't sure what to do to get a key...

17. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 12:50 Wowbagger_TIP

space captain wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 09:30:
its pretty slimy.. these guys are already an established business, and i seriously doubt they are hurting for cash in terms of income OR budget

reminds me of Molyneux and his new "game"

i never pegged these cats for moneygrubbing shitmongers... oh well, learn something new everyday

I don't know why they decided to use KS for this. I think a premium version, like Ars and some other sites have, would have been a better option.

I think it may be due to the fact that they tend to do a lot of game/industry review and commentary, and they don't want to appear biased due to the ads. So the solution to that for them is to remove the dependence on ads for running the site.

Starting a premium version wouldn't really accomplish that, because they'd still need the ads for all the non-premium people, which would be the vast majority, I'm sure.

16. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 12:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 10:03:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 09:28:
Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 08:27:
It's not as bad as that girl that funded her dream home/farm via KS (which got funded somehow) but it seems a very distinct violation of the KS spirit.

"Guarantee us money, easily, all in one lump sum, for something you're already getting and will continue to get regardless of whether this gets funded!"
Not exactly though. It's for what they're already getting, but without the ads. Essentially like paying for an app-store app.

No, that's still exactly it. Paying for a premium version of an app that's already free is exactly what they're doing (though it's a community thing with free-rider issues if you really want to get into it.) But that's not what Kickstarter is for. If you want to launch a premium version of something free you just do it. You just put it on the app store and charge $2.99.

Kickstarter is for projects. This is in no way a project.

I'm not disagreeing that it's not what Kickstarter is for. I'm just saying that what they get if it gets funded is not the same as what they're getting now.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
62. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 11, 2012, 12:44 Wowbagger_TIP

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 11:33:
And 15% of a game the size of Diablo 3 to simply integrate with a payment system seems a bit of a high estimate. I've actually done that work myself as a developer and it's not particularly difficult.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were 10+ % of the project schedule with coding and testing. You are looking at possibly millions of people banging on the RMAH and trying to hack it etc. Acti-Blizz has to be VERY careful with $$$ transactions (legal issues). Thats great that you have developed before, but I doubt you have handled code for thousands of $$ transactions. I'm sure it's more then "it's not particularly difficult". Hell, even PvP didn't make it into release...

Given all the years this game was in development, I have to wonder how many times they started over. There's no way the game they released should have taken anywhere near that long.

12. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 09:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 08:27:
It's not as bad as that girl that funded her dream home/farm via KS (which got funded somehow) but it seems a very distinct violation of the KS spirit.

"Guarantee us money, easily, all in one lump sum, for something you're already getting and will continue to get regardless of whether this gets funded!"
Not exactly though. It's for what they're already getting, but without the ads. Essentially like paying for an app-store app.

8. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 01:49 Wowbagger_TIP

Asmo wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 00:16:
I like PA but the ads don't bother me (srsly, PA's adds are relatively innocuous compared to some other sites...)

Incidentally, I still can't believe people are going on about the fucking dickwolf thing...
Yeah, the dickwolves thing was just retarded. But there's always someone, somewhere, that will be offended by damn near anything.

I may kick in on the lower end for this. I'm still not clear on whether Gabe will think about me during sex I'm having or sex that he's having. I'll have to seek clarification on that one.

50. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 11, 2012, 01:31 Wowbagger_TIP

AngelicPenguin wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 01:12:
Bhruic wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 00:17:
As much as people like to claim that Diablo 2/LoD had more character customization, no one likes to talk about how their first few characters were totally useless because they put a skill point or stat point in the wrong ability or stat.

That's nothing but hyperbole. There are no characters that become completely useless because of a single skill/stat point.

Whether you believe it or not there are a multitude of builds that are successful in Diablo 3, including melee wizards, ranged barbarians... hell I've even seen people mess around with melee demon hunters to some degree of success.

And what "degree of success" are you using? How far in the game do you have to get to be "sucessful"? You can't make the claim a single skill point gone awry will make a character "totally useless", and then claim that as long as you've got "some degree of success", the character is fine.

Go look at how many viable Hell builds there are for characters in D2, then go look at how many viable Inferno builds there are for characters in D3. You'll find there are more for D2 than D3.

Well to be fair, hell in 2 is far easier than inferno in 3

Mostly because Blizz didn't bother to playtest and balance Inferno before releasing.

48. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 11, 2012, 00:53 Wowbagger_TIP

For all the defense of D3 by some here, it's still mind-boggling that they spent so much time on it and then churned out broken crap at the end with game mechanics that they apparently slapped together over the course of the last month or so before release. No wonder things are so screwed up.  

27. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 10, 2012, 16:57 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 16:41:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 15:46:
eunichron wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 14:59:
Axis wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:53:
Glad I got to beta this pile of garbage. I put my money towards PoE and the devs who actually show passion for the genre.

You put your money toward a F2P game that's still in beta?

Either you're not very smart, or you're trying way too hard in your attempts at trolling.
A F2P game that's still in beta, yet still quite good, and cost 1/6 of what D3 costs to get early access. The devs there actually seem to know what they're doing, so the game will likely have a lot more longevity than D3 too.

I've been in the PoE beta for a couple weeks (no, I didn't pay to get in), and I guess I just don't see it. The skill web is a neat idea, albeit a little overwhelming, and I like that they've completely converted the economy to a barter system, negating the need for a gold treadmill/sink. The ability gem idea was cool, but the skills are just so... generic and lackluster.

It's like Diablo 3 tried to take the genre a few steps forward (whether they succeeded or failed is purely subjective), while games like PoE and TL2 are perfectly content with early 2000s design choices.
PoE is doing enough differently that it's actually interesting. Yeah, it still needs work, and they haven't added the story elements yet, but that's because it's still in beta. It's doing a lot more right, IMO, than D3, and I can definitely see it lasting longer once all the content is out. The TL1-like endgame stuff looks cool, and they even took that further by allowing you to mod and re-roll the maps. I'll grant you that D3's animations and environment interaction are better, but I think that's about all it really has going over PoE.

17. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 10, 2012, 15:46 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 14:59:
Axis wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 13:53:
Glad I got to beta this pile of garbage. I put my money towards PoE and the devs who actually show passion for the genre.

You put your money toward a F2P game that's still in beta?

Either you're not very smart, or you're trying way too hard in your attempts at trolling.
A F2P game that's still in beta, yet still quite good, and cost 1/6 of what D3 costs to get early access. The devs there actually seem to know what they're doing, so the game will likely have a lot more longevity than D3 too.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans
24. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Film Plans Jul 10, 2012, 15:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Seems like most game->movie projects just can't attract decent writers or directors, so they mostly end up sucking. If they can figure out some way to fix that, then maybe we'll get something worth watching.  

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Details
49. Re: Guild Wars 2 Beta Details Jul 10, 2012, 09:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 09:03:
The Curse public keys are up, grab em while they're hot.
Thanks! Got one. Now just have to wait til next weekend...

News Comments > Project Copernicus Trailer
11. Re: Project Copernicus Trailer Jul 10, 2012, 09:07 Wowbagger_TIP

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 06:37:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 00:44:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 23:52:
JohnBirshire wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 22:58:
They should have stuck to Copernicus and never bothered with Kingdom of Amalur: The Reckoning. Which, by the way, is an atrocious name. Even if it was the best game ever made, it wouldn't have broken even.

And a generic fantasy MMO would have been a success..? The MMO market is completely saturated, especially for a fantasy MMORPG. 38 Studios would have spent significantly more time and money developing Copernicus, only for it to inevitably fail and go F2P within six months. The whole reason they even created KoA was to help fund Copernicus.

No, what they should have done was stop wasting money on R.A. Salvatore and instead create a genuinely unique setting and lore, then apply it to a good, single-player RPG. There are so many unexplored settings or themes that could make for compelling RPGs. Ancient Rome, the Old West, '50s mafia, steampunk, noir, etc. But nope, they insisted on making yet another traditional fantasy game.

I agree with this. Only a dumbass company would invest in a current gen mmo, fantasy or not. The genre is done until something completely different comes along and replaces it.

I have to completely disagree with that. There is plenty of room out there to innovate, just that most of these big companies don't have the guts to try it, we just see the exact same formula over and over again.
Using the same kind of fantasy setting that has been done to death is just about the worst way to convey to people that you're trying something innovative and different.

News Comments > Guild Wars 2 Beta Details
42. Re: Public Beta? Jul 9, 2012, 23:59 Wowbagger_TIP

Fion wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 16:02:
Ant wrote on Jul 9, 2012, 14:03:
Still no public beta?

No but I've already seen sites around the web giving out tens of thousands of keys. So just snag yourself a key and you're set. :)
Aside from Curse.com I haven't found any key givaways going on. And the Curse giveaway is giving priority to "premium" (read: paying) members. Owell. Guess I'll just wait for it to be released and see how it pans out. That actually worked out well for me with D3 and I still feel like I dodged a bullet on that one.

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Jul 8, 2012, 23:22 Wowbagger_TIP

Dev wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 19:34:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 18:37:
Dev wrote on Jul 8, 2012, 15:58:
As well, amazon continues its sales.
Example:

THQ Action Pack (PC Download): Darksiders, Metro 2033, Nexuiz, Red Faction: Armageddon, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance $15 at Amazon.com
A $5 off digital download off coupon on a Pre-order of: Darksiders II, Metro: Last Light, or Southpark will be included with your order

Saw that - HUGE sale for those games. That is insane.

BTW, I hear they are the steam version and that they also include DLC for at least one of the games, the red faction one.

Yeah, great price for those, but unfortunately I already have RF:A, and it wasn't nearly as good as the previous game. Also have Metro 2033, so there's really nothing that I want from the pack at this point.

3800 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo