Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3791 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Videos
2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Videos Jul 17, 2012, 15:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Just waiting for the beta to start now...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Diablo III Game Limits Returning
41. Re: Diablo III Game Limits Returning Jul 17, 2012, 15:38 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:12:
KS wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 14:04:
leading to a reduction in its price, and of comparable items.

Except that's not what's happening. The "enterprising people" aren't generating more items, they're generating more gold, which is causing rampant inflation due to the rate at which bots can introduce new capital into the system. Regular, i.e. non-botting, players can't keep up.

Drops and gold seem to be limited in the game due to farming going on. This is to protect the online economy, but makes the game terribly boring for those that don't want to use the AH/RMAH. Even if they do want to use them, the rampant inflation makes it a ridiculous grind to get enough gold to buy stuff. Seems like players lose either way.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > On Sale
37. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 11:35 Wowbagger_TIP

mch wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:06:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 11:00:
dangit! Batman beat out Witcher 2 - would have been the perfect price point! ugh. Guess I need to wait. That is the 2nd time it has been up for vote I think.

I thought it already won once? I think it was down to $15.

I should have bought it...but convinced myself not to because The Witcher keeps crashing on me at one point in Act 3...and I can't finish it

It did go on sale on Saturday. I picked it up for $15.99. I suspect it will be on sale again before the week is out.

News Comments > On Sale
17. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 03:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Pretty slow sale for me so far. This is all I've grabbed:

Warlock + DLC
Trine 2
The Witcher 2
Borderlands DLC
Saints Row The Third DLC
Frozen Synapse Red DLC
Fallout New Vegas Ultimate (for the DLC)
Red Faction Guerrilla

News Comments > On Sale
9. Re: On Sale Jul 17, 2012, 00:41 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Jul 17, 2012, 00:17:
If it's still on, btw, Fear3 for 5 bucks is very, very good value. It's a solid shooter, even though the story becomes quite a bit naff. (yes, far more than in the first two.)

I quite enjoyed playing it.

Is it similar to FEAR 2? I loved the first game and hated the second, so I never really paid any attention to the third.

So glad I passed on Space Marine now too. Thanks for the info!

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Details
2. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Details Jul 13, 2012, 12:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 13, 2012, 11:54:
Awesome, been waiting for this one. A bunch of us joined Trev's C22 outfit if anyone else is looking for a home in PS2.
Oh yeah, I actually signed up on their forums, but haven't put in my recruit request yet. Have to do that when I get back on Monday. I just got a beta key yesterday!

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears
32. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 12, 2012, 18:34 Wowbagger_TIP

Sepharo wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 14:14:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 14:05:
Wow... I finally got a key! Just had to bug them some more this morning. Guilting them for making me join Twitter seemed to work

I've sent 5 now starting last night and continuing today. Still nothing.

Took me 8 total to get the key. Keep trying!

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Trailer
5. Re: Borderlands 2 Trailer Jul 12, 2012, 14:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Great trailer Really looking forward to this one. Hope they do a better job with the interface this time!  

30. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 12, 2012, 14:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow... I finally got a key! Just had to bug them some more this morning. Guilting them for making me join Twitter seemed to work  

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
13. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 11:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Tanto Edge wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 11:31:
A throwback to.. more like throw up on classic games.
Mechanics grounded in... wtf there's two 'classes.' There were never selectable player classes in Biow--Orig--..uhh, Garriot's games.
Closest you had was a bunch of tarot cards, questions and away you go!
The quote from the wikipedia page: 'It is the first in the "Age of Enlightenment" trilogy, shifting the series from the hack and slash, dungeon crawl gameplay of its "Age of Darkness" predecessors towards an ethically-nuanced, story-driven approach'

I have no problem with BioWare creating whatever. I have a problem with an EA subsidiary poorly rebooting and forever ruining Ultima.

But there's a map! And a gypsy! The gypsy will probably ask if you want to be a fighter or a mage. I'm sure that's what they mean when they say it's been "lovingly restored".

This is like a really cruel April Fools' joke.

News Comments > Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced
9. Re: Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar Announced Jul 12, 2012, 11:14 Wowbagger_TIP

ItBurn wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 11:01:
Ok I read all the data. Including joystiq interview with creative director

Free to play: Jesus, no.
Ipad and PC: Lowest common denominator. It's going to be a very simple game.
They compare it to a facebook game: Oh god no.
"for a more casual player": :'(
They say it's not an mmo, but everything sounds like an mmo. They're just trying to save face.
"We can't replicate the original game"..."The original game is lauded as very important": That's what the creative director said. He actually thinks that there was only one Ultima game. He clearly has no idea what Ultima was.

All in all, this is the polar opposite of what I would have wanted in an Ultima game.
The game might still be good, but it's just sad that because of this reboot, we might not get a real Ultima any time soon.

Given what you found out so far, I'd have to say that there's an almost zero percent chance of the game being good. I doubt it will even be recognizable as an Ultima game.

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: Valve Counters EA Jul 12, 2012, 02:40 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2012, 00:54:
I was listening to the PCG podcast (UK edition) and they were talking about Spec Ops: The Line. And it sounds pretty good. And I realized, I'd never pay $50 for a game like that. I just never would, b/c I wouldn't play it enough to justify the price. So, if it never came down in price, that company would be getting 0 of my dollars. I just don't play shooters that much.

However, if it comes down to $15 or $10, I would buy it. The amount I would play it would then justify my spending that money. For example, COD games take forever to come down, so I only own the older ones. I just don't buy them.

So it comes down to this: Does EA want $10 of my dollars, or $0? That's the question.

Pretty much. These guys are usually republicans, hard core capitalists, you know? They talk a good game about "growing the pie" rather than re-dividing it, but they're apparently too stupid to recognize when they actually see a case of that happening rather than it just being smoke they're blowing up someone's ass.

News Comments > The Secret World Content Plans
26. Re: The Secret World Content Plans Jul 11, 2012, 22:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Nomaar wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 20:46:
6) You're complaining about the tutorial? Are you serious?
Why is that somehow an invalid complaint? A lousy tutorial can be a real turnoff for new players.

19. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 17:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 13:58:
Enahs wrote on Jul 10, 2012, 22:41:
PA is the most overrated thing on the internet anyway.

They have some amusing comics from time to time but I don't know how that translates into "Give us a quarter million dollars every year". Yeah...no thanks, you guys aren't that essential.

I suppose they could go back to this idea if this doesn't work out.

17. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 11, 2012, 17:24 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 15:35:
Send them a bunch of tweets even, they will give you a key for "enthusiasm", I've seen it several times. For the notifications I just meant turn off the non-essentials so your phone/email doesn't get flooded with crap.
I've sent about 4 tweets so far... I guess I'll just keep trying every now and then until I can get one...

12. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 11, 2012, 15:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 14:13:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 13:56:
I signed up, and pestered and got nothing

Did you other guys just tweet to @planetside2 and ask for a key? I just signed up, but wasn't sure what to do to get a key...

I just signed up and started bugging them for a key. "Give me a key please, this beta sounds really good" type stuff. Make sure you are "following" them and your first visit upon registering for Twitter should be turning off all notifications other than Direct Messages. They usually DM you the key.

Ok, I'm following them. Not sure what you mean by turning off all the notifications. I turned off some of the email notifications, and just left the "email me when" type of notifications on. Sent them a tweet... now I just wait I guess...

8. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Nears Jul 11, 2012, 13:56 Wowbagger_TIP

I signed up, and pestered and got nothing

Did you other guys just tweet to @planetside2 and ask for a key? I just signed up, but wasn't sure what to do to get a key...

17. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 12:50 Wowbagger_TIP

space captain wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 09:30:
its pretty slimy.. these guys are already an established business, and i seriously doubt they are hurting for cash in terms of income OR budget

reminds me of Molyneux and his new "game"

i never pegged these cats for moneygrubbing shitmongers... oh well, learn something new everyday

I don't know why they decided to use KS for this. I think a premium version, like Ars and some other sites have, would have been a better option.

I think it may be due to the fact that they tend to do a lot of game/industry review and commentary, and they don't want to appear biased due to the ads. So the solution to that for them is to remove the dependence on ads for running the site.

Starting a premium version wouldn't really accomplish that, because they'd still need the ads for all the non-premium people, which would be the vast majority, I'm sure.

16. Re: etc., etc. Jul 11, 2012, 12:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 10:03:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 09:28:
Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 08:27:
It's not as bad as that girl that funded her dream home/farm via KS (which got funded somehow) but it seems a very distinct violation of the KS spirit.

"Guarantee us money, easily, all in one lump sum, for something you're already getting and will continue to get regardless of whether this gets funded!"
Not exactly though. It's for what they're already getting, but without the ads. Essentially like paying for an app-store app.

No, that's still exactly it. Paying for a premium version of an app that's already free is exactly what they're doing (though it's a community thing with free-rider issues if you really want to get into it.) But that's not what Kickstarter is for. If you want to launch a premium version of something free you just do it. You just put it on the app store and charge $2.99.

Kickstarter is for projects. This is in no way a project.

I'm not disagreeing that it's not what Kickstarter is for. I'm just saying that what they get if it gets funded is not the same as what they're getting now.

News Comments > Diablo III Patched
62. Re: Diablo III Patched Jul 11, 2012, 12:44 Wowbagger_TIP

Undocumented Alien wrote on Jul 11, 2012, 11:33:
And 15% of a game the size of Diablo 3 to simply integrate with a payment system seems a bit of a high estimate. I've actually done that work myself as a developer and it's not particularly difficult.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were 10+ % of the project schedule with coding and testing. You are looking at possibly millions of people banging on the RMAH and trying to hack it etc. Acti-Blizz has to be VERY careful with $$$ transactions (legal issues). Thats great that you have developed before, but I doubt you have handled code for thousands of $$ transactions. I'm sure it's more then "it's not particularly difficult". Hell, even PvP didn't make it into release...

Given all the years this game was in development, I have to wonder how many times they started over. There's no way the game they released should have taken anywhere near that long.

3791 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo