Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3818 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
62. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:44 Wowbagger_TIP

RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:37:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:36:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:20:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:52:
You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with.

On the internet, everybody bullies everybody. Gays just think they can leverage their new found sympathy to receive some special treatment where everybody still gets bullied except for them.
Right. Because everybody gets bullied like they do. Because bullying gays is just as unacceptable to most people as bullying blacks, hispanics, christians, jews, etc, right? What planet do you live on?

Well to paraphrase previous posts... How would you know?
How would I know what? Whether they get bullied more? Whether its accepted more? What planet you live on? What exactly are you asking?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

61. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:43 Wowbagger_TIP

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:01:
Ohhhhh... how perceptive of you. You've foiled my diabolical plan by carefully discerning my "bigotry." How about you explain it to everyone else? With quotes! Because otherwise, if you can't directly quote where I have blindly held to my beliefs without hearing or addressing the opposing viewpoints (that being the definition of "bigot"... sound familiar?), then your entire screed is nothing more than your own delusional projection.

I look forward to the quotes.
I'm not bothering to pull the quotes. Anyone who cares to can go back and read what you wrote. You seem to think it's fine for Chick-Fil-A's CEO to speak against gays, but bad to boycott them because of it. You've made several comments about how gays being open about their sexuality are inviting the abuse. You concede a point about how incidental comments can out someone as gay, but then simply dismiss it, claiming they shouldn't have their own gathering. Try making a decent argument that isn't bigotted on its face.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

59. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:36 Wowbagger_TIP

RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:20:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:52:
You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with.

On the internet, everybody bullies everybody. Gays just think they can leverage their new found sympathy to receive some special treatment where everybody still gets bullied except for them.
Right. Because everybody gets bullied like they do. Because bullying gays is just as unacceptable to most people as bullying blacks, hispanics, christians, jews, etc, right? What planet do you live on?

54. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:52 Wowbagger_TIP

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:20:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:09:
WarpCrow wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:50:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:48:
And all from a simple, yet irrefutable, idea: "On the internet, they only way someone knows you are a gay gamer is if you decide it's so important that you must tell them..."

Or if you mention your SO, or if you happen to remark that someone or a character in a game is attractive, or if you mention in passing any number of things from your daily life that identify your sexuality but you have the luxury of taking all of that for granted. So yeah, if you just ignore anything but talking about games, you could probably hide it. Most people, straight and gay, don't do that, nor should they have to.

Exactly. He believes that it's ok to speak out against gays and slander and defame them all you want, because they have it coming for not hiding it well enough apparently. Yeah, he doesn't really make any sense. He sure thinks he's some kind of intellectual giant making these ridiculous arguments though.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the textbook example of the strawman logical fallacy. Tell me, oh great mind-reader, what the rest of the mere mortals here are thinking right now... Worship
Keep dodging buddy... you've revealed your own bigotry time and again here. You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with. You just don't like the fact that they don't hide the fact that they're gay. If incidental exposure didn't lead to all manner of abuse, they wouldn't need their "safe place". It's assholes like you that make that necessary.

48. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:09 Wowbagger_TIP

WarpCrow wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:50:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:48:
And all from a simple, yet irrefutable, idea: "On the internet, they only way someone knows you are a gay gamer is if you decide it's so important that you must tell them..."

Or if you mention your SO, or if you happen to remark that someone or a character in a game is attractive, or if you mention in passing any number of things from your daily life that identify your sexuality but you have the luxury of taking all of that for granted. So yeah, if you just ignore anything but talking about games, you could probably hide it. Most people, straight and gay, don't do that, nor should they have to.

Exactly. He believes that it's ok to speak out against gays and slander and defame them all you want, because they have it coming for not hiding it well enough apparently. Yeah, he doesn't really make any sense. He sure thinks he's some kind of intellectual giant making these ridiculous arguments though.

20. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 12:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 11:37:
LOL! Pot, meet kettle.

I think it is hilarious that you would advocate for tolerance while being totally intolerant of opposing viewpoints.

Let's take your first complaint, shall we? If gay people would like to express their heartfelt beliefs that what they do is normal and natural, I think we'd both agree they have every right to do so in the public square. If they wanted to do so in a gathering designed to make them feel comfortable, we'd also agree. But do those who believe that what they do is not normal have to be silenced? Do those who don't agree have to acknowledge and approve?

Would you agree that a person who feels that gay behavior is not normal has just as much right to speak about it in the public square? To create places where they feel able to gather and feel "safe" in their opinions? Of course, there would be consequences. Would you support someone being fired or their business being boycotted because they support gay marriage? So how about Chick-Fil-A?

My biggest problem with those who wish to show how much "better" they are than everyone else through their "tolerance" is that they are just hypocrites. Discussion of social issues (especially stuff having to do with gay issues) usually ends up being free-speech-for-me-but-not-for-thee.
You've established already that you're not ok with people being openly gay and "making a big deal of it". But you're ok with Chick-Fil-A making a big deal of being against them? You have no room to call anyone hypocritical.

No one is denying anyone's basic civil rights in this argument. There are no laws that treat gay people differently (cite one if you disagree... I want to see the "if you are hetero then X, if you are homo then Y").
No, the laws are simply written in such a way as to preclude consideration of those who are gay. Much like if we had laws that said you can marry any person of the same color as you. We all still have the same rights, but it's quite obviously a discriminatory law. You can continue to be willfully obtuse about it, but there's really no hiding the fact that it's discrimination, plain and simple. There's no argument against it that isn't based, at its core, on simple prejudice.

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 01:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 21:23:
How would I even know? Unless, of course, someone makes a big deal out of it...

Nice to see you are against harassing people based on their group membership! I agree. Which reminds me, I'm a little hungry. I think I'll go grab a Chick-Fil-A sammich...
Yeah, so nice that their CEO didn't make a big deal out of it. Oh wait...

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 01:24 Wowbagger_TIP

Veterator wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 23:27:
Well if we're basing it on what kind of insults get thrown out.

We'll need safe places for:

30+ or 40+ yo virgins.

People who live with their parents.

People who live in their parents basement.

Anyone who works in fast food.

Each and every racial group, because they kinda throw those out like candy.

Rednecks, people with heavy southern accents...etc. Just so people don't assume they are hooking up with family members or animals.

Furries.

Asians who are bad at math.

Fat people, everyone hates fat people now.

And probably a whole lot of other insults/stereotypes and what not that are throw out to upset people in games.

Some of the above are things you can't keep to yourself (race, accent, fatness), unlike your sexuality, but even the people part of those groups and insulted by the barbs online probably would feel silly setting up a special game event.

Are they going to test your gayness? What if you're a gay that
insults gays?

I mean more power to them, but a whole lot of people get insulted in games in a whole lot of ways. Showing you are intimidated/affected by it just means they win.

Hell I had a relative who was deaf with other handicaps and people used to make fun of the deaf group he hung out with....until they picked up a big bulky deaf member who threatened to and started beating the shit out of those people. That's what those kind of people respond to, having their face smashed.

Not everyone is equipped to smash faces. Sometimes safety in numbers and the protection of others is the best you can hope for. Of all of those groups you mention, how many cases of "hate-crime" violence are there for them in recent years? I bet only one or two stand out. There's a difference between being laughed at and having people believe you're an abomination in the sight of God, deserving of death and eternal damnation. Yeah, those people are insane, but there happens to be a lot of them that fall near that end of the spectrum.

11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 01:18 Wowbagger_TIP

RailWizard wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 23:57:
I'm getting real tired of the "anyone that harasses gays does so because they are afraid of being one. ergo: Homophobic".

Seriously, whoever came up with that is a fucking moron. It's hate, pure and simple.

Do you think Hitler gassed the Jews because he was secretly worried he was one of them?

People have all sorts of low opinions about outside groups, but when it comes to this one in particular, it gets turned into some Freudian fallacy. I call it trolling, which is what this particular group is really about.

lol and that's just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to how stupid this all is.

Methinks he doth protest too much... Grin

News Comments > Dishonored Creative Kills Trailer
11. Re: Dishonored Creative Kills Trailer Aug 10, 2012, 14:10 Wowbagger_TIP

Aero wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 10:59:
This trailer does, more than anything else I've seen of it so far, give the impression that it's going to be one of those games espousing giving the player lots of freedom, though it's really just the freedom between two or three obvious and prescribed solutions.

Seems kind of like the recent Syndicate game in that regard.

News Comments > WARFRAME Trailer
3. Re: WARFRAME Trailer Aug 9, 2012, 22:27 Wowbagger_TIP

F2P or not doesn't really matter much. We've seen good F2P games. I didn't see anything that great in the trailer though. Looks like a shooter crossed with a brawler, and probably just button-mashing chaos. At least you can try it without paying though. That's one nice thing about F2P.  

News Comments > BioShock Infinite Gets GoW Producer
11. Re: BioShock Infinite Gets GoW Producer Aug 9, 2012, 18:33 Wowbagger_TIP

Bioshock 2 was so underwhelming gameplay-wise that I didn't have any desire to play it, even for free. I guess that's one solution to piracy problems.

News Comments > MS TMs Galactic Reign
9. Re: MS TMs Galactic Reign Aug 7, 2012, 14:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Damn, that's just a terrible name for whatever this is, unless it does turn out to be a 4x game. No, it would still be bad for that too.  

News Comments > Diablo III Hero Profiles Live
16. Re: Diablo III Hero Profiles Live Aug 7, 2012, 01:38 Wowbagger_TIP

DarkCntry wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 22:46:
eunichron wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 21:27:
Doing one thing well doesn't mean the game is devoid of any problems. The gameplay is straight out of 1999. No amount of intricate-to-the-point-of-convolution skill trees makes up for boring gameplay.

Did I say the game was devoid of problems?

Just because the gameplay is, as you subjectively put, straight out of 1999 doesn't make it bad, just not your 'thing'. I found the gameplay fun, but I don't expect others to think the same way as I do.

Not to mention that the game is still very much in beta, and a lot has changed since the spring. I think it's coming along very nicely.

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: so dont twist ya eyes, i'll be the one ya saw Aug 6, 2012, 00:16 Wowbagger_TIP

space captain wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 22:38:
eunichron wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 21:18:
Just about every single gamer out there has played it beyond the free month, and a huge majority will continue to play it for the foreseeable future.

ive never played it. not even for a free month.

im so rare and unique!

I've never played it at all, ever. Or any other MMORPG for that matter. I think I was put off them long ago after I watched a friend of mine get sucked into EQ. I watched him playing sometimes and could never understand the appeal of it. So I just kind of promised myself I wouldn't ever start playing one.

Closest thing to playing one now would be Path of Exile. I guess that's for the Diablo fix that D3 just couldn't provide.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Aug 3, 2012, 17:17 Wowbagger_TIP

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 12:38:
I could see it being an issue with the bigger studios and publishers but smaller devs and indies seem to do just fine with community interaction. Hell look at kickstarters, just about the exact opposite of what Kotaku describes. Maybe it's a console problem, I'm mostly PC. Or maybe it's the older studios and they've become cynical in their old age.
Kickstarters only allow posts from people who've contributed right? I would imagine that those would be overwhelmingly positive.

News Comments > Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits
71. Re: Steam Precludes Class Action Lawsuits Aug 1, 2012, 01:24 Wowbagger_TIP

I'd be fine with this as long as I get to pick the arbitrator. Since they are paying for it, if they get to pick the arbitrator, then that person is essentially on their payroll at their discretion. That's a serious conflict of interest IMO.

Class action suits are generally a load of crap anyway. The companies get off with a relative slap on the wrist, the lawyers get rich(er), and the customers get something akin to jack squat in return.

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Orcs Must Die! 2
24. Re: So you can actually remap your keys in this one? Jul 31, 2012, 15:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jul 31, 2012, 10:06:
I find it so counter-intuitive that mousewheeldown is next weapon, but that's the standard...

It's the only way that makes sense to me. To go to the next whatever is mousewheel down, like going to the next page in a document. Previous is up. Makes perfect sense to me, and games that reverse it drive me nuts. Go figure

News Comments > Morning Previews
2. Re: Morning Previews Jul 31, 2012, 12:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Started playing again over the weekend. Game is definitely coming along nicely. I like the changes to the skill tree, and the game has definitely gotten tougher too. There's a lot of depth to be found here, and it's one of those games that I can see playing for quite a while with different chars.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent
7. Re: PlanetSide 2 Beta Imminent Jul 31, 2012, 11:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Got mine from Twitter too. Had to bug them several times over a couple days, but finally got it. Gotta be persistent, but not annoying, or just lucky  

3818 Comments. 191 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo