Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3791 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 12:52 Wowbagger_TIP

I have Sprint Galaxy S III, and love it. Battery life is awesome, and it's very smooth and responsive. Haven't had any problem with it so far. Screen looks great too.

Apple really has no room to bitch about ripping stuff off anyway. Their company was built on that too. Most of their patents are ridiculous and should never have been granted in the first place. The patent office is full of morons (or at least run by them) and the whole system is out of control.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > More on New Black Isle
12. Re: More on New Black Isle Aug 23, 2012, 12:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Hyatus wrote on Aug 23, 2012, 11:52:
I'm sure there will be a kickstarter for this just around the corner.
I look forward to not contributing, and to badmouthing it at every opportunity.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Max Payne 3 Disorganized Crime Next Week
1. Re: Max Payne 3 Disorganized Crime Next Week Aug 21, 2012, 23:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Battling in his apartment? So we're talking seriously close-quarter combat. Dive behind the couch, use the fridge door as a shield, that sort of thing?  

News Comments > Gone Gold - Borderlands 2
85. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 21, 2012, 00:03 Wowbagger_TIP

NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 20:12:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 19:34:
NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:51:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 14:13:
Again, does this apply to all media or just games? We've had violent stories and books forever, violent movies for many decades, and violent games for over 20 years. Aside from the aforementioned insane people, about which there's no telling what will set them off, what exactly are you predicting will happen to society, and what evidence do you have to support that hypothesis?

Of course it applies to all media!

This is a gaming board though ... I'll spare you the ranting about other forms of mind-killing.

I notice you didn't answer my question there at the end...

Human beings react to various stimuli. Society similarly churns about in the ocean of stimuli from the single person, to the group, and on up.

By your suggestion can I assume that you are of the mind that 'man lives in a bubble, and nothing external changes the mind'?

Is that the precept behind your question, or am I wrong?

Because it seems pretty obvious what the current (and past) stimuli have been... and the outcome has been war/rape/pillage.

But now we enter a new period where there is an increase in negative stimuli, and decrease in the age it is aquired (en masse, via easily absorbed entertainment)

Do the math.
Wow, you have a seriously warped perspective. If you aren't serving in the military and actually seeing combat, then you aren't likely to be involved in much violence in your lifetime in this country. While videogames have been on the rise for the past 20 years, violent crime has been dropping during that same period. How does your hypothesis account for that?

Actual violence, like many people around the world experience every day is a real problem. Quit inventing garbage like this and trying to call it the downfall of humanity. It's not. It's simple fantasy, and there's no evidence that it causes anything like what you're suggesting. Maybe try to focus your concerns on actual violence happening to real people every day. That's the kind of thing that seriously fucks people up. Those of us with the luxury to indulge in gaming as a hobby are not the problem.

75. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 19:34 Wowbagger_TIP

NicklePop wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 16:51:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 20, 2012, 14:13:
Again, does this apply to all media or just games? We've had violent stories and books forever, violent movies for many decades, and violent games for over 20 years. Aside from the aforementioned insane people, about which there's no telling what will set them off, what exactly are you predicting will happen to society, and what evidence do you have to support that hypothesis?

Of course it applies to all media!

This is a gaming board though ... I'll spare you the ranting about other forms of mind-killing.

I notice you didn't answer my question there at the end...

62. Re: Gone Gold - Borderlands 2 Aug 20, 2012, 14:13 Wowbagger_TIP

NicklePop wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 23:36:
Prez wrote on Aug 19, 2012, 23:18:
Fair enough. But at what point do we say 'this is dumb, and counter-productive'?

Should thinking be invalidated because this is a 'video game website'?

Note that I'm only talking about Pitchford and the moronic paragraph appearing with this article.

Seeing as how you aren't a raving lunatic like Hellbinder, I guess you are least worth talking to. The problem is not so much that people disagree with you that society is fubar, but that they are being lectured that somehow their choice of entertainment is indicative of their own moral depravity. A morally depraved person may well get an inordinate amount of jollies from running over people and other virtual violent behavior, but that is not anything close the the majority of us here. The insinuation that if you enjoy violent gaming then you must be predisposed to violent behaviors in real life is naive at best and insulting at worst. There is no moral equivalency between shooting a person in a game and shooting someone in real life, and someone not insane is not in any way made more capable of committing acts of real violence through their videogame experiences. For normal people (the VAST majority of gamers) the enjoyment of playing a violent game does not equate to enjoyment of real violence, and no correlation has ever been made or ever will be made.

TL;DR version: Lighten up. It's just a game, not some deep social commentary.

I absolutely agree that 99% of people can process this, for the time being (in our culture), without becoming violent themselves.

The social commentary comes when the culture has absorbed these subtleties into their reality; that is the analogy of the toilet bowl coming into full force, where we may not see the true effects for another generation. (my parents were 'good people', so I have context to understand violence etc)

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2012, 14:04 Wowbagger_TIP

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:26:
West Nile aerial attack creates controversy in virus-stricken Dallas.

Dallas is suffering from the nation's deadliest outbreak of West Nile virus this year. Ten people have died and more than 200 others have fallen ill in less than two months, prompting leaders to declare a state of emergency. But aerial spraying is controversial because of safety concerns, cost and effectiveness.

How many people live in Dallas?
I think there are worse things to worry about than West Nile......

I do, but haven't really worried about this. Mosquitoes generally don't bite me anyway. My wife is a different story. She has to hose herself down with bug spray.

Was listening to someone talk about it on NPR yesterday. Apparently it's a pretty small percentage of people that will have any serious problem from the virus. Most won't have symptoms at all, some will just get a slight fever or headache. A small percentage will get a really bad headache and flu-like symptoms. The really bad cases (in the low single digits %-wise) can develop Encephalitis or Meningitis, which is where you get the fatalities. Glad they're spraying, but it will likely get worse before it gets better.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos
4. Re: Borderlands 2 Weapons Videos Aug 17, 2012, 13:55 Wowbagger_TIP

I just played through Borderlands and half the DLC again. Definitely fun, but I hope they cut back on all the driving/running back and forth over and over stuff. If it's just a few times, that's fine. But it got pretty monotonous. Game is a blast though, and BL2 looks even better. Never really had too much problem weapon-wise, but maybe I was just lucky. I usually had enough to at least get by, or I was able to buy something better.

Loved the Tannis audio log things too. I hope whoever did those is working on the script for this one!

News Comments > Heroes of Newerth Core Pool Launches Today
3. Re: Heroes of Newerth Core Pool Launches Today Aug 17, 2012, 13:49 Wowbagger_TIP

I played a bit of LoL, and it was a mixed bag for sure. Probably about 30% of the time there was at least one guy being a complete dick. Luckily there were also some helpful people giving pointers and such, rather than just screaming at you for feeding.  

News Comments > Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion
28. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 01:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 00:28:
I'm sorry, but in order for customers to have "easily been misled", they would have had to know that something known as "rebellion developments" existed.

I imagine few people did. Ergo, your lawsuit is a bunch of fucking horseshit. Like 99% of all lawsuits in this country.

Creston

Yikes. That's almost exactly the words I was going to write, including the horseshit part, verbatim. Good job Creston!

News Comments > Trine 2 Expansion Announced
7. Re: Trine 2 Expansion Announced Aug 16, 2012, 18:00 Wowbagger_TIP

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:06:
Oh my [insert deity of choice here]. Frozenbyte's art team is just getting more ridiculously talented with every release. Eyegasm^infinity.

That said, Trine 2 is a great game too. I wonder if Frozenbyte is ever going to revisit another Shadowgrounds type isometric shooter? They seem to have defined the genre on sick platform puzzle/fighters, and could probably hit a Shadowgrounds type game out of the park at this point.

I'd love to see another Shadowgrounds game. Those were fun.

News Comments > TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live
27. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 17:58 Wowbagger_TIP

So are the items you get in Mann Up mode just cosmetic, or are they weapons and such?

24. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 16:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Seems like it'll be at least next week before it's relatively easy to get into a game.  

21. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 14:50 Wowbagger_TIP

DG wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 14:41:
Far as I can tell -
Q: What is Mann Up Mode?
When you play Mann vs. Machine on an official Mann Co. server, this is called Mann Up Mode. Mann Up Mode allows you to earn special item rewards and track your progress through various Missions. To enter Mann Up Mode, you must possess a Tour of Duty Ticket.

Q: What is a Tour of Duty Ticket?
A Tour of Duty Ticket gives you access to Mann Up Mode, and can be purchased from the Mann Co. Store for $0.99. You do not need a Tour of Duty Ticket to play Mann vs. Machine on non-Mann Co. servers (i.e.: not in Mann Up Mode).

- basically translates into "optionally, pay $0.99 to play on a Valve official server".

Is that ticket a one-time purchase that gives you unlimited access or what?

News Comments > World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic
3. Re: World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Cinematic Aug 16, 2012, 11:14 Wowbagger_TIP

So they made a whole expansion out of Kung Fu Panda?

News Comments > More TF2 Mann versus Machine Details
12. Re: More TF2 Mann versus Machine Details Aug 16, 2012, 00:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, looks like no playing tonight. Can't connect to the server manager thing for the new mode. Guess I'll try again tomorrow  

10. Re: More TF2 Mann versus Machine Details Aug 15, 2012, 22:29 Wowbagger_TIP

TF2 just started downloading the update for me. Should be playable soon!!

2. Re: More TF2 Mann versus Machine Details Aug 15, 2012, 13:57 Wowbagger_TIP

When does this go live?  

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 15, 2012, 10:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Didn't Max Payne 3 already do that?

News Comments > Op Ed
46. Re: Op Ed Aug 15, 2012, 01:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 23:38:
Sadly, it is often a lose-lose situation for PC gamers. If we buy the crappy ports, the publishers get the message that it's okay to make crappy ports. If we don't buy the crappy ports, the publishers get the message that there's no PC market for their games. Publishers with lots of experience on the platform are less likely to believe the latter, since they have examples of PC games that sold well. However, given Namco's inexperience with the platform, I wouldn't be surprised if they misconstrued Dark Soul's failure as a lack of interest from PC gamers rather than a lack of quality on Namco's behalf.

Seems bizarre that they are incapable of reading reviews and forums to see what people hate about their game. But then I've never worked for one of these publishers. They could be run by monkeys in suits for all I know.

3791 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo