Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3791 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

News Comments > FTL: Faster Than Light This Week
59. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 01:31 Wowbagger_TIP

Just watched the TB video. Sold! Should make a great travel game for my crappy work laptop

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Path of Exile Free Weekend
35. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 17:40 Wowbagger_TIP

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:34:
I was being facetious - the design requirements of the F2P model obviously preclude making the game singleplayer-friendly. My statement was supposed to be the equivalent of "I'll embrace the F2P model when hell freezes over".

Yeah the problem with F2P games is they are free for a reason (that being they aren't good enough to get people to buy them). I've tried a lot of them anyways (hey it's free and my time is worthless) and at least PoE manages to be really unobtrusive about it. F2P games love to bombard you with ads and shiny buttons urging you to spend money. But hey, this is as people keep stating still a beta so maybe they just haven't gotten to that yet.

Really the only F2P I've tried which can stand up to boxed games is Blacklight, but they can get a little overzealous on the P2Win front at times.

I think T:A does a good job of being F2P without being P2W, and it's a fun game too. If anything, PoE looks to be steering even farther away from P2W than Tribes. TF2 seems to do a pretty good job of not being P2W too. I think F2P can be done well as long as the devs are realistic about it and plan from the start to avoid any P2W elements.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

34. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 17:36 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:00:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 00:48:
Methinks many people fail to understand the point of a closed beta. Baffling. Huh

Nice canned response.

I know full well the point of a closed beta, as I have been a part of many in the past, and am currently participating in several, including PoE. Generally one can be pretty sure that by the time a game enters beta the core game mechanics are locked in with little chance of changing. The problem I have with PoE, as well as TL, is that the "new" features they have added are nothing but fluff. I do like PoE's passive "skill" web, I do like their ability gem system, and I like what they're doing with their economy. However, on that note, I thought the abilities were trite and uninteresting, which makes the combat boring and shallow. These are core game mechanics that Grinding Gear has decided they want their game to be centered on, they will not change, and in that regard I can be reasonably certain that the game will be just as boring an uninteresting post-launch as it is right now. That's perfectly fine, Grinding Gear decided they wanted to make a Diablo 2 clone, and that's what they did. More power to them. I also sincerely hope they are successful as a new developer. I just don't care to be a part of it.

Exactly which new mechanics or abilities were trite and boring? Totems? Traps? New passive keystones? Maps? You're being so vague that I have no idea what you even have a problem with.

News Comments > BIS Arrests Follow-up
3. Re: BIS Arrests Follow-up Sep 12, 2012, 11:54 Wowbagger_TIP

ASeven wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 11:40:
Fucking insane. Then again Turkey and Greece hate each other with a passion unseen in this world. They have been enemies since a long, long time ago and the terrible wound of the Armenian genocide Turkey perpetrated on the Balkans and on Greece will never heal by the looks of it.

Hence Greece is VERY serious about people snooping on their military. Still, this is insane.

Yeah, if it can be seen from outside of the grounds of the base, it ain't a secret. This kind of hypersensitivity is ridiculous, both there and here in the US as well.

28. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 08:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 04:19:
...besides the cash shop button.

And that's enough for me to despise it. I have tried many F2P games, and in every single one the items, loot, drops, upgrades, unlocks, etc. feel arbitrarily limited to encourage use of the cash shop. Maybe it's painting with too broad a brush, but generally if a game has a cash shop or auction house I'm not going to bother with it. I have hated every single game that I have played that has one, in all different genres (even the supposedly good ones like Tribes). I absolutely loathe the intrusion of such things as cash shops and auction houses in my game world. They weaken and devalue every game they are included in for me, often to the point of ruining it completely. Until someone figures out how to make a F2P singleplayer game where I am not being pitched to, sold to, or forced to grind for shit so I get frustrated and break out the wallet I am going to continue to despise F2P games. That's just me though - it's a personal pet peeve.
From what we've heard so far, the only things they are planning to sell in the cash shop are stash pages, character slots (you get 25 already though), and cosmetic items like dyes, taunts, etc. Nothing at all to do with drop rates of anything or actual useable items. They've been pretty adamant about that all along. You get the game free, they have to have some way to make a few bucks off of it. I don't begrudge them that, as long as they don't let it impact the fun of the game, which this doesn't do at all IMO.

26. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 00:48 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 22:51:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 22:18:
WyldKat wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:43:
PoE bored the crap out of me after awhile. All the classes played more or less the same. The animations were bad, especially kill/death animations (no physics, just the same canned death anims). The trading system, while I thought I liked it at first, quickly became frustrating. The story was forgettable too but mostly it was the combat that turned me off. Genderlocked characters were another turn off, along with bad (i.e. no) customization. No different hairs, armor dyes, nothing.

Let me guess. You are an under 30 gamer.

I'm a 30 year old gamer and I think the game is boring as shit.

I don't want Diablo 2.5, I had enough of Diablo 10 years ago. I want something new. Diablo 3 wasn't it either, it was a good effort, it just missed the mark (by a wide margin). At this point my only hope for ARPGs is Grim Dawn. At least those guys have Titan Quest under their belt, which is easily the best post-Diablo 2 ARPG.

Methinks many people fail to understand the point of a closed beta. Baffling. Huh

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC Pricing
23. Re: Mechromancer DLC Pricing Sep 11, 2012, 22:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Sempai wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 21:19:
What about those of us who purchased a new nvidia card(gtx680)and received a copy with our purchase?

Will this be eligible as a pre-order or will we be forced to purchase this day one dlc?
No idea, but if I had gotten the game for free, I wouldn't be too worried about it anyway.

News Comments > Mechromancer DLC Pricing
21. Re: Mechromancer DLC Pricing Sep 11, 2012, 19:53 Wowbagger_TIP

Buy the game, get it free. Works for me. Won't cost me another dime.

21. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 18:09 Wowbagger_TIP

WyldKat wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:43:
PoE bored the crap out of me after awhile. All the classes played more or less the same. The animations were bad, especially kill/death animations (no physics, just the same canned death anims). The trading system, while I thought I liked it at first, quickly became frustrating. The story was forgettable too but mostly it was the combat that turned me off. Genderlocked characters were another turn off, along with bad (i.e. no) customization. No different hairs, armor dyes, nothing.
When did you play?? They really haven't even added most of the story elements yet. That's not what the beta is about. Were you expecting a finished game? They've had less than half of the content available, and hardly any of the story elements. More of that will be released when the open beta starts.

Granted the animations aren't the best, but they've improved those lately as well. Cosmetic improvements for characters will be coming later as micro-trans purchases. Seriously, the game hasn't even hit open beta yet, but the last couple of patches have included a ton of major improvements to all parts of the game.

News Comments > BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage
24. Re: BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage Sep 11, 2012, 17:29 Wowbagger_TIP

Quboid wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:14:
Tumbler wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 16:45:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 10:48:
"Hey what you doing tomorrow? Wanna take pictures of Greek military bases right when they have the biggest crisis in the history of the nation?"

I'm confused. What is the crisis in greece that warrants them freaking out about pictures of their military bases? Is the population attacking these installations on a routine basis? Last I heard the currency was in trouble but what exactly would be the point of being so secretive about your military bases...you can't exactly pay for a standing army with promises.

Greece worried about invasion from their neighbors?

Their politicians will be extra keen to find someone to blame for something - anything - to distract from the real problems. Incidentally, eRe4s3r didn't say it was warranted.

This seems like the most likely explanation. Jackasses trying to distract from their jackassery.

18. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 17:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 16:10:
I love ARPG's but I despise F2P games. What do I do now??

I still don't understand the automatic opposition to F2P games. As long as they're done right, they can be very good. It's really a case-by-case thing. PoE and Tribes:Ascend are both pretty good examples of it done right. I suppose TF2 is an example now as well. I get to try for free, and I have no problem coughing up some cash for various non-P2W things to support the devs. If they make a good game, they deserve it.

14. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 15:47 Wowbagger_TIP

Slashman wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 15:24:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 14:15:
Oh, I just realized I have a spare beta key. Who wants it?

I'll take it!

Just emailed it to you. Have fun

12. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 14:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Oh, I just realized I have a spare beta key. Who wants it?  

News Comments > BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage
14. Re: BIS Devs Arrested for Espionage Sep 11, 2012, 14:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow. Who the hell cares about Greece's military anyway? Maybe they're afraid they'll sell the info back to the Greek government, seeing as they're their own worst enemy lately.

7. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 12:16 Wowbagger_TIP

ASeven wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 11:00:
InBlack wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 10:53:
I tried this, but it felt so underwhelming and overwhelming at the same time...

This is nowhere near the quality of Diablo2:LOD or even D3 in its current state...

...gotta look elsewhere for that ARPG fix...

It has changed in major ways and still does, the game is pretty much unrecognizable from 3 months ago. When did you play it?

Seriously, this. The game gets better by leaps and bounds. I started playing around off and on with it several months ago. It's almost like a different game now. If you really want more, wait until open beta starts later this year, as that's when they're adding the third act to the game, but I think it's a fantastic game already, far superior to D3 in all but graphics/animation, and even those have improved from when I started. They've done a few major re-workings of the skill tree since then as well, all improvements IMO.

Try the free weekend. It's free And you can get in permanently for just $10. A total bargain for a game like this. I've already purchased a few point packs to support them, since they're very responsive to feedback and every major patch seems to be quickly followed up with a few minor ones addressing feedback on the patch.

I'm having a blast with it. Only thing that may pull me away for a while is BL2, but I'm sure I'll be going back and forth.

News Comments > Thunder Wolves Announced
6. Re: Thunder Wolves Announced Sep 6, 2012, 15:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Wildone wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 11:24:
god...*face palms*

this, exactly. Wtf

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
57. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 22:11 Wowbagger_TIP

finga wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 21:02:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:21:
I missed the GMG pre-order sales. I would have picked it up at $40 or less. Guess I'll wait for another sale.
It's back for $37.50 with a coupon code. You should, like, read this site I've heard of called Blue's News more often!

Fine, here's a link.
Thanks. Didn't see the coupon code before. Just ordered.

News Comments > Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month
48. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 20:21 Wowbagger_TIP

I missed the GMG pre-order sales. I would have picked it up at $40 or less. Guess I'll wait for another sale.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 11:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow, tragic news. I always liked seeing Duncan in movies. He was a really good actor and just fun to watch. So sad to see him go so soon.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 28, 2012, 17:13 Wowbagger_TIP

Steele Johnson wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 14:51:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 28, 2012, 12:52:
I have Sprint Galaxy S III, and love it. Battery life is awesome, and it's very smooth and responsive. Haven't had any problem with it so far. Screen looks great too.

Apple really has no room to bitch about ripping stuff off anyway. Their company was built on that too. Most of their patents are ridiculous and should never have been granted in the first place. The patent office is full of morons (or at least run by them) and the whole system is out of control.

Apple doesn't set the patent laws.

Also, if you designed something that took you years to complete, using all your time, energy, and money, and then someone copied it in just a few months and started selling more than you, would you be happy? I think not. Copying innovation, blocks advancement. If Samsung has to redesign to sell phone, who knows, maybe they're come out with something groundbreaking. That's the idea. Copying doesn't do any good at all.

Aside from already made point that Apple has done this themselves plenty of times, you're talking about actual innovation, not ridiculous software patents or these design patents that are so over-broad as to cover practically anything. I never said Apple made the rules. I said the patent system is broken and it's currently doing more to restrict innovation than to help it. Smaller players can't do anything without the threat of a lawsuit, either by a company like Apple or Samsung, or one of the ubiquitous patent trolls, hanging over their head. If you don't have a huge portfolio of defensive patents, you can't even attempt to compete these days.

3791 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 25.
< Newer [ 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo