Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3780 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Newer AMD/ATI Catalyst Beta
3. Re: Newer AMD/ATI Catalyst Beta Oct 24, 2012, 09:45 Wowbagger_TIP

Ripperjack wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 09:21:
Fantaz wrote on Oct 24, 2012, 02:58:
Funny, they called it the "never settle" driver...

Indeed. I'll never settle for ATi again, and go team green from now on!

I've had ATI/AMD for the last few cards I've owned, and aside from one card's 3D capability dying, I haven't had any problems. Of course I've heard horror stories about both ATI and NV, so I just do a lot of research on the current cards before I buy. Maybe it helps that I don't tend to buy on the bleeding edge either. My current card is an Asus HD7850 DirectCU II 2GB. Had it for a good 6 months or so now. No problems so far.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Oct 24, 2012, 00:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Sepharo wrote on Oct 23, 2012, 22:32:
So what did all you independents think of the "Third Party" debate tonight?
I think it was like the pres debating himself for the most part. I cringed when he made that corny 80s foreign policy joke though. Ouch.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
8. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 21, 2012, 01:05 Wowbagger_TIP

Funny how the kids act all innocent though. Like they didn't know what they were doing. They probably know how to use the thing a lot better than the teacher and were only supposed to be using a couple of specific apps, but were instead apparently doing other things that they weren't supposed to be doing. I remember being a kid. I did crap like that plenty often, so it's not surprising. Of course the parents get all self-righteous about it though.  

News Comments > etc.
17. Re: etc. Oct 19, 2012, 14:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 11:34:
"Investment" isn't quite right, either. Think a donation instead. An investment comes with a return. You're not getting a return with Kickstarter. Best case scenario you're saving 20% on a title. Often Steam will give you near that for preordering, and often it will hit that price within 6 months anyway.

I consider it an investment in the sense that by investing, I may get the return of a game that I want to play, but that wouldn't be made otherwise (or at least that nobody else seems to be willing to make). So, if I have some confidence in the team, and their goals seem realistic, I'm willing to risk $50 or so to give them the chance to make the game I want.

That said, I've only committed to a few of them so far, because many seem like they're too ambitious, or they don't have a clear idea of what they're building, or they just don't have the experience or track record of actually completing games.

News Comments > Path of Exile Act 3 Details
13. Re: Path of Exile Act 3 Details Oct 19, 2012, 00:51 Wowbagger_TIP

I've been playing PoE off and on for several months now. I really don't understand the complaints about it not having a story, as it's been in closed beta and they've intentionally been withholding the story elements until open beta. I still don't expect it to be anything amazing, but probably on par with most arpg fare.

The passive skill tree is a bit daunting at first, but they've done a lot in the last few patches to make it easier for those starting out so that they don't gimp their chars right from the start. They've also done more to make it easier to navigate and added icons for skill clusters to show what they pertain to. Just go to the website and check out their passive skill tree tool there. It's fun to just plan out a build with the tool.

The skill gem/support gem system is a lot of fun and they've been continually adding more all the time. There's like 9 more skill/support gems being added in the minor patch coming out either Friday or Monday, along with some more unique items as well.

I kind of like the currency system. Currency items are useful rather than just a number. They do need a better way for players to trade items with each other rather than just dropping things on the ground, but they are planning to have that in place by the time open beta starts.

It's a very different game from BL2 or TL2, but I think it's more engaging in a lot of ways. There's definitely a lot more flexibility and room for creativity in creating your build. I've seen some crazy stuff, and the cool thing is that even a lot of those crazy builds work pretty well. I'm sure it's a game I'm going to be playing for a long time.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Patch Plans
15. Re: Torchlight 2 Patch Plans Oct 18, 2012, 16:20 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 16:13:
Axis wrote on Oct 18, 2012, 16:04:
Ya it's a real longevity game. Out of the 74 steam friends who own the game, I may see 1 playing any given night, usually afk bullshitting to me or someone else...

H a r d c o r e!

Oh look it's the Path of Exile snob. Yep - everything else sux except for PoE!

Have you tried looking at the total hours played for those friends of yours? Most of my friends who own it have played it for 30+ hours, often more than 60.

I've been bouncing around between BL2 and TL2 lately, but somehow I keep getting sucked back into PoE. It's not even done, and open beta is still a couple months away, but it has a powerful draw...

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North This Month
17. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North This Month Oct 17, 2012, 16:56 Wowbagger_TIP

avianflu wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 16:53:
I sorta agree with that but in 2 specific instances for me in "princess" there were no more troops on the map that I could defeat without losing loads of my troops (and importantly -- easier enemies dont ever respawn on a map) and I had no money. At that point you are truly stuck.

That's pretty much the situation that I seem to end up in eventually whenever I try one of these games again. Only way to deal with it is to go back to a (usually MUCH) earlier save and try to do better, but since you're essentially re-fighting each of the same battles again, it gets kind of boring. And you're still not sure if you'll be able to do well enough to get past the part where you were stuck.

News Comments > King's Bounty: Warriors of the North This Month
10. Re: King's Bounty: Warriors of the North This Month Oct 16, 2012, 15:46 Wowbagger_TIP

Love the gameplay in this series, but I think I just suck at these games. I inevitably end up hitting a wall at some point where I just can't beat some creature blocking my way, and don't have a way to put together a good enough army to beat it. I tend to wander off to some other game at that point.  

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed
1. Re: MechWarrior Online Open Beta Delayed Oct 16, 2012, 15:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Probably a good thing. I got into the beta a little while back, but couldn't even get into a match because of some black-screen bug, as they were calling it. The match would start to load, and then... nothing.

From what I've seen of it, it looks very promising. Hope they take the time to get things right.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 10, 2012, 23:55 Wowbagger_TIP

Bhruic wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 16:39:
Cutter wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 15:26:
It all comes out in the wash IMO. However, as you said, serious pirates are going to take the necessary steps not to get caught so all this is for naught.

It's only "for naught" if their intention was to completely eliminate piracy. It's not for naught if their intention is to cut down on piracy. In the last, what, 5-10 years, it's gotten significantly easier to get illegal stuff than it used to be. Back when you had to use irc, ftp sites, newgroups, etc, there were a lot fewer people doing it. If - and it's a big if - they can once again make it more difficult, then that'll cut down fairly substantially. Regardless if the "serious pirates" can still get stuff.

And just like before, that'll last maybe a year before technology catches up yet again and you can get a auto-proxy-encrypted-torrent app with a catchy name and download all you want again

News Comments > Steam Top 10
153. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 7, 2012, 21:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Sep 30, 2012, 13:32:
Btw, I found that Badass Pyre Thresher that someone was talking about a few days ago. (he never showed up the first time I started that mission in the Caustic Caverns) I agree, he is fucking ridiculous. 2 hits and I'm dead.

I was finally able to get rid of him by running away until I came across a Crystalisk. The Thresher and the Crystalisk will start fighting each other, and because the Crystalisk is immune to all damage except to its legs, the Thresher can't do shit against him. So stand some distance away, and just unload until he's dead.

But yeah, Gearbox went WAAAAAY overboard with boss difficulties, imo. The mission is listed for level 21. I'm level 24, and it's 2 hit dead. So at level 21, I imagine you die just from watching him spawn??

Creston

Lol.. yeah, that was me that was talking about it earlier. Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to give that method a try. I've been on vacation and haven't played for a while. I think the break was good for me in that I may now have the patience to go back to that area.

News Comments > On Sale
13. Re: On Sale Oct 7, 2012, 21:14 Wowbagger_TIP

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Oct 6, 2012, 14:35:
I don't know who Stormpowered is, but they pretty much guaranteed they'll never get my business with this dumb-as-fuck sales title.

Here's some advice for this dumbass company: don't assume your customer base is men or that the little women only play casual games. What century is this again?

Goddamn, I think I need to go back to Borderlands 2 now.

As soon as I read the sale title I knew it was gonna piss some people off. Wonder who they have doing marketing that didn't have alarm bells going off in their head on that one.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
226. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 6, 2012, 03:12 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 14:37:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 12:48:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 11:33:
I actually pretty much agree with all of this verno, but you have to do it smartly on both ends, we can't just raise taxes and continue to spend hand over foot, regardless, be it military or social handouts or whatever senator's pet project etc etc.

At the end of the day cuts WILL have to happen somewhere.

I think we all agree that there need to be cuts. But there also needs to be tax increases. Those can come from actual increases, or from a (desperately needed) simplification of the tax code that removes loopholes and deductions. Romney talks a lot about that, but refuses to put out an actual plan, which makes me think he doesn't actually have one. Leaving it to Congress to work out is not a plan.

Cutting social programs and things like PBS that don't even show up as a blip on the national budget is just pandering and not a serious attempt at fixing the problems. Putting two wars on the national credit card, while simultaneously giving a tax cut, really hurt us. If we don't have social programs to help people get back on their feet so that they can have at least the bare necessities that will allow them to look for jobs and show up looking halfway decent for interviews, we're never going to get out of the funk we're in. For all the rhetoric we've heard about Obama giving handouts, the welfare rules are about as tough today as they've ever been, aside from waivers that were granted to the states (most of them under Bush, btw) that gives people more time. This is all controlled by the states though. They determine how best to handle it, but it allows people time for re-training and such so that they have a better chance of getting off of unemployment.

We also still need to do more to fix SS and Medicare, but I don't see either side talking about that seriously. I'm totally not shocked.

Health care is still a problem. Obamacare has helped some, but doesn't do nearly enough. Romney doesn't appear to even have a plan. He's just made a lot of statements about how his plan would be run by the states and would totally have all the stuff we like from Obamacare, like covering pre-existing conditions, but it wouldn't have a mandate, so how it gets paid for is anyone's guess. He sure isn't saying.

I'm basically just frustrated with the choices we have. Neither party is doing what needs to be done. I'm only leaning to the Dems because they actually have a middle in addition to their left wing. The GOP really needs to clean house and get some moderates back in the party. Have you listened to these guys talk on the floor of the House? It's nuts. Most of them don't have the brain cells required to lead a trip to McDonald's, let alone lead this country.

Again well said, cept the part about Obamacare, it hasn't helped at all, it's making health insurance costs more across the board, and really, it abuses the commerce clause and is unconstitutional.
Well, the USSC disagrees about the constitutionality. Republicans never seem to be concerned about abusing the commerce clause when it suits their purposes anyway, so why the fuss now? As for whether it's helped, most of it hasn't even gone into effect yet, so I don't see how it could have done much at this point. Costs have been on the rise forever now, so what increases are you attributing to it at this point? It's still a lousy plan overall, but it's somewhat better than what we've had up til now.

Romney at least is talking about fixing the tax code, something Obama said he would do 4 years ago, and we're still waiting for that to happen.
Yeah, well everything takes longer when you've got a party in charge of the House who have explicitly stated their goal of making you fail at every turn. Is it really that surprising?

I'm fine with raising taxes, but I'm not fine with raising taxes unless there are major cuts across the board on what we're spending.

There's no easy way, sadly there really isn't but unless we want another great depression and ultimately becoming a 3rd world shit hole, it has to happen.
Cuts have been put on the table at something like a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio with tax increases, but the new tea partiers in the Congress weren't willing to even discuss it. Somehow Romney thinks he doesn't need a plan though and can just pitch it all over the fence to Congress to sort out. Why anyone wants to vote for that I can't understand.

223. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 5, 2012, 12:48 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 5, 2012, 11:33:
I actually pretty much agree with all of this verno, but you have to do it smartly on both ends, we can't just raise taxes and continue to spend hand over foot, regardless, be it military or social handouts or whatever senator's pet project etc etc.

At the end of the day cuts WILL have to happen somewhere.

I think we all agree that there need to be cuts. But there also needs to be tax increases. Those can come from actual increases, or from a (desperately needed) simplification of the tax code that removes loopholes and deductions. Romney talks a lot about that, but refuses to put out an actual plan, which makes me think he doesn't actually have one. Leaving it to Congress to work out is not a plan.

Cutting social programs and things like PBS that don't even show up as a blip on the national budget is just pandering and not a serious attempt at fixing the problems. Putting two wars on the national credit card, while simultaneously giving a tax cut, really hurt us. If we don't have social programs to help people get back on their feet so that they can have at least the bare necessities that will allow them to look for jobs and show up looking halfway decent for interviews, we're never going to get out of the funk we're in. For all the rhetoric we've heard about Obama giving handouts, the welfare rules are about as tough today as they've ever been, aside from waivers that were granted to the states (most of them under Bush, btw) that gives people more time. This is all controlled by the states though. They determine how best to handle it, but it allows people time for re-training and such so that they have a better chance of getting off of unemployment.

We also still need to do more to fix SS and Medicare, but I don't see either side talking about that seriously. I'm totally not shocked.

Health care is still a problem. Obamacare has helped some, but doesn't do nearly enough. Romney doesn't appear to even have a plan. He's just made a lot of statements about how his plan would be run by the states and would totally have all the stuff we like from Obamacare, like covering pre-existing conditions, but it wouldn't have a mandate, so how it gets paid for is anyone's guess. He sure isn't saying.

I'm basically just frustrated with the choices we have. Neither party is doing what needs to be done. I'm only leaning to the Dems because they actually have a middle in addition to their left wing. The GOP really needs to clean house and get some moderates back in the party. Have you listened to these guys talk on the floor of the House? It's nuts. Most of them don't have the brain cells required to lead a trip to McDonald's, let alone lead this country.

217. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 4, 2012, 22:11 Wowbagger_TIP

People always wonder why the Dems can't seem to get their shit together in Congress. It's mostly because we only have 2 parties, and anyone that isn't batshit insane at this point isn't part of the GOP, so they end up either as a Dem or independent/3rd party but caucusing with the Dems. So the Dems end up with a wide variety of folks in their party with a wide variety of opinions, priorities and constituencies. They just can't move in lock-step like the GOP does. That means they're far less effective than their numbers would seem to imply too. I'm still on the fence as to whether that's a good or bad thing.

I really hate the two-party system. That, along with gerrymandering, the fixed number of congressional seats, and unlimited corporate money (even from international corporations), are really fucking up our democracy.

News Comments > XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer
22. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Launch Trailer Oct 4, 2012, 17:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Rhett wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 15:03:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:43:
Whiskers wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 14:18:
They said something in an interview somewhere that there are a decent amount of maps and that in one playthrough, which usually last 30 missions or so, that you would not see the same map twice and that each map has random starting points so it'll be a little different as you move through a game. I think all the starting positions for everything are random every time.

My memory could be off but I believe they have somewhere around 90 maps. I'm not all that worried about seeing the same one twice.

I have not looked this forward to a game since maybe Dragon Age:Origins. Absolutely cannot wait for Tuesday.

80+ maps, different layouts for each map. Different alien spawns. Different starting spawn for you. Different alien patrols/reactions/squads. Probably more to it, but that's what I remember about it.

Looking forward to the game. A lot.

They've also said that you won't be able to research everything or build everything in your base in one playthrough. You'll have to tailor it to a certain play style each time.

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews Sep 28, 2012, 17:01 Wowbagger_TIP

Cutter wrote on Sep 28, 2012, 16:50:
What's wrong with pentagrams? They're an entirely neutral symbol. Oh wait, that is they were until the xtians co-opted those too and decided they were evil because they were pagan.
It's typical kneejerk reaction. Devoutly religious folks aren't known for their capacity for rationality.

News Comments > Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt
35. Re: Notch Knocks Win8: Minecraft Certification in Doubt Sep 27, 2012, 12:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Not sure what the issue is for everyone. The twitter embed looks fine to me. No extra spacing or any weirdness at all (Firefox 15).

Anyway, I think I agree with him that anything that contributes to a more closed environment in Windows is a bad thing. It should remain an open platform. We have plenty of closed platforms already.

He doesn't have an issue with closed platforms, only with Windows moving in that direction, as it has always been open.

129. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 12:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Bhruic wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 01:39:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 27, 2012, 01:24:
That mission was a real pain as Zero, until I got my hands on a good rocket launcher. The one that's got me blocked right now is the damn Badass Pyre Thresher. That thing is just an insane beast and I can't even begin to do enough damage before he pummels me into paste. Plus he doesn't seem to have any elemental weakness.

Hard to give advice without knowing which Badass Pyre Thresher it is, but yeah, they are, well, fucking insane. I think I've had more deaths to them than everything else in the game combined.

The best "tips" I can give is they are much easier to defeat from a distance with a sniper rifle if you have something you can hide behind, and they aren't chasing you. You just have to dodge the shards they throw your way inbetween shots.

Alternately, you can actually do some considerable damage with a shotgun up close, and revive yourself by shooting the tentacles. The downside there is you die really fast, and your revive timer goes faster and faster each time you do, so you have to be able to dish out a lot of damage insanely fast (hence the shotgun being almost a necessity).

Best option is to kill it with a vehicle, as long as you don't get too close, you can usually outrun it. But a couple of them definitely aren't in areas that you can get a vehicle to.

In this case it's Caustic Caverns, and there doesn't seem to be any cover that he can't get to me through. I did upgrade my weapons since the last attempt, so I may have a little more of a chance this time.

125. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 27, 2012, 01:24 Wowbagger_TIP

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 26, 2012, 21:14:
Made it pass that dang robot mission in solo!
Took out some badass robots and they've dropped a sniper rifle that does electric damage. Found a good spot where the robots had a hard time to get to me and I was just sniping the shit out of the "eye" of the construction robot. Took a full clip but it went down.

Can't believe what a difference a single weapon can make to a mission.

That mission was a real pain as Zero, until I got my hands on a good rocket launcher. The one that's got me blocked right now is the damn Badass Pyre Thresher. That thing is just an insane beast and I can't even begin to do enough damage before he pummels me into paste. Plus he doesn't seem to have any elemental weakness.

3780 Comments. 189 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo