Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3974 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2015, 16:04 Wowbagger_TIP

If water wasn't used in a ridiculously wasteful way by the ag industry there, but instead reflected something at least close to a market value for water, then maybe those crops could be grown somewhere more suitable. Rice paddies and other highly water-intensive crops shouldn't be grown in a place that doesn't have the kind of consistent rainfall needed to support them.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 20, 2015, 12:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, from what I've read, a pipeline wouldn't cut it. It would have to be insanely huge to move enough water to make a dent. Desalination isn't going to work either. Too expensive for the amount of water needed. The only way they can fix this is to get their agricultural use under control, and nobody seems to be interested in talking about that.

Edit: Found a pretty good article on desal.
article

This comment was edited on Apr 20, 2015, 12:49.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Age of Wonders III Expands; Adds OS X & Linux Support
8. Re: Age of Wonders III Expands; Adds OS X & Linux Support Apr 15, 2015, 23:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Thanks for the info. I may have to pick this up now. I'm on the fence though, since I know I've still got quite a backlog. I could wait until the Summer Sale I suppose...  

News Comments > Age of Wonders III Expands; Adds OS X & Linux Support
4. Re: Age of Wonders III Expands; Adds OS X & Linux Support Apr 15, 2015, 13:49 Wowbagger_TIP

Dunkirk wrote on Apr 15, 2015, 13:32:
So did the balance pass make it a worthwhile game? It's currently on sale on Steam, and I presume that's to raise awareness and move copies of the not-on-sale expansion pack. I'm on the fence about it. Can someone actually recommend it?

Yes, someone who has played this, please weigh in. It's been on my wish list for a while. Didn't want to buy until i saw some recommendations. At least then i know who to blame if it sucks.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: Evening Mobilization Apr 14, 2015, 23:08 Wowbagger_TIP

ViRGE wrote on Apr 14, 2015, 22:31:
Hearthstone wasn't playable on mobile devices before? Huh. That really surprises me given the nature of the game.

It was only available for tablets before, now it's available on phones as well.

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book
5. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Will Be Ghostable; Free E-Book Apr 13, 2015, 19:47 Wowbagger_TIP

I just started playing through the Director's Cut of HR this weekend. Having fun with it, but haven't hit the first boss fight yet, so not sure how that's going to go this time around.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month
70. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 17:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Redmask wrote on Apr 13, 2015, 14:36:
Talkin about the game for a change, I didn't like Path of Exile. The gameplay is flat and unentertaining, it felt like a bare notch above your average Kickstarter project. What it did have was great depth in mechanics, I had more fun reading and planning builds than I did actually playing the game. Depth of systems is great and this is where it excels but you need more than that. I hear they have been patching in new content additions all the time and thats great but I've got 5 other great games to play and this one didn't grab me. Diablo had the opposite problem, enjoyable gameplay but shallow as a puddle.

Maybe one day I will play an ARPG that doesn't bore me to tears, hell I can't even play Diablo 2 anymore and the Grim Dawn alpha I played wasn't much fun. The Japanese ARPG games offer a much more visceral and challenging experience.

ARPGs aren't everyone's cup of tea. That said, I found GD pretty underwhelming too, but then it was still alpha when I tried it last too.

Like others have said, I think the early game in PoE is kinda slow, but really only for the first character you make. After that, you generally have decent gear and cheap uniques to boost you through those early levels on future characters. I kinda wish they'd find a way to let us do that on the first char as well, while still letting new players adjust to the mechanics.

Things don't really start getting interesting until you're in the 30s at least and start getting support gems and start picking up more build-defining tree nodes. They've added a lot of cool stuff in the past year. It's so much better now than it was at release.

This comment was edited on Apr 13, 2015, 17:35.

62. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 13, 2015, 14:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Jesus fuck. This thread went to crap. I was wondering how it picked up like 20 more posts since I checked last.

I'm guessing it was the comment about kids on Twitch that set Axis off. Depends on whether you take it as a purely factual statement, or as snark (i.e. Seems popular with the Twitch kiddies.) Obviously he took it as the latter.

In my experience playing over the past couple years, it's mostly adults playing. Have hardly run into any kids at all. All the streamers I've watched are adults as well. Don't have any scientific data to back it though.

Doesn't really matter anyway. Maybe D3 animations appeal more to the kids. I enjoy the gameplay in PoE.

Gotta keep focused on my backlog now until I get my beta invite!

News Comments > Diablo III Season 3 Begins
6. Re: Diablo III Season 3 Begins Apr 11, 2015, 22:25 Wowbagger_TIP

nin wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 20:38:
peteham wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 20:29:
HC certainly changes how you gear your chars, and adds considerable fear of dying, but I'm not really finding that tension enjoyable. It's been more of a limiting factor that's kept us playing on fairly safe (and boring) difficulties so far.

Precisely why I don't play HC. Some may like it, and more power to them, but to me the idea would lead towards playing much more conservatively.

Same here. I haven't played HC at all, in either D3 or PoE. Not the kind of tension I enjoy. Hitting a leveling wall is enough punishment for me, thanks

26. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 11, 2015, 20:57 Wowbagger_TIP

Brumbek wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 19:45:
rist3903 wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 18:48:
This game definitely doesn't put its best foot forward. It only really starts to shine once you get to around level 31 to 34 or so.
Very true! The early game is a slog...you move so slow...you have no skill syngeries. And technically D3 blows it away since PoE is a bit clunky, poorly animated at times, and visually questionable.

All that being said we live in a golden age with both PoE and D3 being incredibly amazing games. This expansion is set to make PoE the best it has ever been, and the new D3 2.2 patch has also made that game so, so fantastic.

It's true that things move slow early game, especially your char. Definitely take advantage of the crafting recipe to create +move-speed boots. Check shops between levels to look for better ones. If you join a guild, you can usually get hooked up with some decent early game gear from the guild stash too, which lets you get through that part a bit quicker.

17. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 11, 2015, 17:19 Wowbagger_TIP

I rarely play any PoE characters long-term. More fun to build new ones. I still keep some of the old ones around though. They give you like 24 character slots for free, so plenty of room to try new things. Every time they make a significant change to the passive tree, all those old characters get a free total respec as well, which is nice when you want to try something different on a higher-level character.

The game has gotten a lot less clunky over the past few seasons too. The new netcode and options in this expansion should go a long way towards making it feel even better to play. If you haven't played for a while, there's a lot that's been added in recent seasons too (seasons run 3-4 months).

10. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 11, 2015, 14:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Vio wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 13:55:
If I liked diablo 2, will I like this? Basically a average weekend of diablo 2 consisted of joining games named Baal Run 1 through 700 ;D

I think PoE is more interesting than D2, but then I was never a hardcore D2 player either. While you can party up for Dominus split runs all day long if you like (maybe Beast runs after Act 4 is out?), or focus on farming Atziri if your build and gear are good enough, I enjoy just running maps, with or without a party and trying new builds. Looks like this expansion is going to create a whole new level of build diversity too.

Someone was trying to get Pillars abbreviated as PoEt to differentiate. Doesn't look like it stuck

7. Re: Path of Exile Expansion Closed Beta This Month Apr 11, 2015, 13:47 Wowbagger_TIP

Vio wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 13:26:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 11, 2015, 12:58:
Have strange urge to want to discuss Pillar of Eternity in this thread.
Same urge strangely.

That being said is Exile any good? I've been ignoring it for a long long long long time.
I think it's a great game. I pick it up again every time a new challenge league starts, just to play with all the new stuff they add each time, like new mechanics, uniques, Masters crafting, etc. It's always a good time even though I'm a casual player. I usually get a couple of characters up into the 80s. I take breaks to play other stuff between leagues. If I don't get into the beta for this, I'll keep working on my backlog in the meantime, but I REALLY hope I get into the beta

All the stuff they're adding this time is just incredible. A whole new act with NINE new bosses!! From what I read, they've had a team working on this since the original release and kept it secret while they had a second team creating the smaller updates for each league since then. Can't wait to get into this!

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 10, 2015, 20:29 Wowbagger_TIP

I swear ICANN must be run by a collection of idiots. How they didn't see this coming just boggles the mind.  

News Comments > Act of Aggression Trailer
4. Re: Act of Aggression Trailer Apr 10, 2015, 13:39 Wowbagger_TIP

I definitely liked Act of War better than the C&C games. Hope this one lives up to that standard. I do remember some missions in the expansion being pretty hard. Very fun sort of near - future sci-fi RTS.  

News Comments > Free Elder Scrolls Online Weekend for Beta Players
3. Re: Free Elder Scrolls Online Weekend for Beta Players Apr 8, 2015, 19:36 Wowbagger_TIP

Only for beta players? I've been interested to try it. Don't really want to buy it until I get a shot at it first.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Cinematic
4. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Cinematic Apr 8, 2015, 13:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Looks fantastic. I need to go play through HR again before this hits. Haven't played the Director's Cut version yet. Didn't they add some ways to avoid the boss fights?  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Apr 6, 2015, 17:02 Wowbagger_TIP

I figure that a year from now I can pick up the CV1 Rift and E:D and have a great time. I'm willing to wait until then. Hopefully it'll be a lot more fleshed out by then. Should be a good first game for the Rift.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 6, 2015, 14:12 Wowbagger_TIP

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 14:23:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 13:20:
Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2015, 12:27:
It's just that most of the content is so bad it makes you wonder why people even try. Unless you can knock it out of the park with something genius like Burger King's Left Handed Whopper don't bother. Most of them come off as sad little cries for attention.

I thought there was some funny stuff this year. Sorry that eraser is so down on the day.

It's because some idiot modder for KSP (Construction Times) made on April 1st a "fake Nag screen" in KSP that broke my entire first start procedures after a 15 minute load time. Fuck that guy and fuck April first ,) *cough*

Maybe next year my experience will be better.. ^^

Ps.: Just one of many examples why April First is bad
Automated trading scripts can't tell a joke

Seems more like a reason that automated trading is bad. Automatically initiating trades based on information that your algorithm can't understand the context of is just stupid. Anyone trading like that deserves to have their bots screwed with.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 4, 2015, 12:02 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2015, 19:20:
$47B. That's a lot of desal plants for SoCal. Also a lot of libraries.
Cali needs to fix their retarded water rights system. Nothing else is going to fix the problem for them.

3974 Comments. 199 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo