Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3789 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt
11. Re: Ships Ahoy - Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt Jan 15, 2013, 12:11 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 11:53:
Claptrap's "minion" thing didn't bug me because Claptrap is a deluded idiot. Him thinking we're his minion was funny because it was so clearly wrong.

Brick calling us "Slab" bugged me more. Claptrap being dumb and thinking we work for him was funny. Brick not being as dumb and thinking we work for him (and being right, but working for him isn't the same as joining his stupid bandit tribe) was less so.

Totally agree. Claptrap = funny. Brick = not funny. Tannis wasn't bad this time, but not as funny as the first game IMO. I kinda liked Lilith's personality in this one. Her and Roland's awkward relationship and all the bits you get to hear were kinda funny. The fire cult missions were pretty funny too. Jack was pretty hilarious all the way through for me. I would've liked to hear more about him working for Hyperion though. We get that one glimpse of him and his boss talking, but that was about it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
50. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 15, 2013, 12:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jan 15, 2013, 10:11:
One issue often overlooked here is also the media. Each killing gets covered more and more in-depth. Each shooter becomes more and more a household name. This just leads to more shootings.

But how do you stop that?

We don't know. It's not an easy thing to change. Of course the networks won't stop covering - it's huge ratings. The government doesn't have a leg to stand on to stopping them. And people just tune in.

So there's really nothing we can control there, and that's probably the single biggest factor in why this happens - people wanting to be famous.

Ultimately we can't stop these. All we can do is lessen their frequency and their damage. Hence: smaller clips. Hence: more restrictions on getting guns.
Haven't really seen a case where smaller clips would have mattered. Even the Newtown guy was dropping them half-used. Shotguns can be reloaded on the fly, while always being ready to shoot. Speedloaders and speedstrips make reloading even revolvers very quick. Most shooters carried more than one gun too, so they always have at least a backup. This is all pretty common sense for anyone that plans to get into a firefight.

The only times I can think of where magazine size has figured into the equation was a couple of times when the guy tried to use one of those 100 round drum mags and it caused the weapon to jam, as would be expected by anyone that's familiar with the track record of those things. I think that happened with the Aurora shooter.

So, no, reducing mag size would just be an inconvenience to law-abiding owners. Anyone else doesn't care that they're against the law. They are plentiful around the world and could be had fairly cheaply if someone so desired. We'll just end up creating yet another black market trade across our borders, which, predictably, we'll be completely unsuccessful at stopping. It will, however, give the government all sorts of reasons to infringe on the liberties of citizens in the name of the War on Guns. Yeah, we need another one of those...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 15, 2013, 09:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Six strikes "could" affect businesses, but in reality, it won't affect any that are big enough to fight back. Selective enforcement is the name of the game.  

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial
2. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines Commercial Jan 15, 2013, 09:26 Wowbagger_TIP

Not being able to skip commercials does suck. We just relocated for work and are currently in a temporary apartment while we look for a house. No DVR here, so I was watching live TV for the first time in who knows how long. Every time it hit a commercial break, I was reaching for the remote... then I'd remember... then I was sad...  

News Comments > etc., etc.
26. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 14, 2013, 23:49 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 23:18:
Axis wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 20:32:
Disarming 99% of law abiding citizens against the 1% criminals who would get one anyway is not the answer. Go ask the Swiss.

Much of the problem is medication, lots of research out there but the liberal media wants to keep this about gun control - another 'excuse' it's not them or their actions, its the guns. Another 'lets pat ourselves on the back we did the first thing that comes to mind' it's the guns.

Almost every mass murder was done by someone who was seriously medicated either currently or shortly after stopping, and anyone who knows anything about these meds knows that the latter is the most dangerous part.

Go to any other country and you'll see a general aversion and reluctance to medicate and far less medical 'problems', especially when it comes to mental health.

America by FAR the most medicated country, it's absolutely ridiculous. Some medication is needed, but much is not. America has everything, the 'poor' in America have everything they need to live a good life and people medicate for shit like depression? Go to any of the low crime rate countries and ask how many get medicated for depression - ya a ridiculous notion.

Do you know that WATER fixes a shit ton of ailments and imbalances? Amazing, our bodies are mostly water and it's water that fixes them. But... water isn't profitable. Go do research, I might have just changed your life. I know mine was changed about 8 years ago armed with this information and a bug to find out more.

Anyways guns aren't the problem, it's a fact backed by all available research out there.

That's because the big pharma lobbyist are even stronger than the NRA lobbyist. Plain and simple our heath care in general is a joke, sadly Obamacare will do more to make it worse than better.

Don't think that's even possible. Our health care system has been an embarrassment for a while. We lead the world in research and development of medical treatments and techniques, but lag far behind in actually making care available to the people who need it. It's pretty pathetic.

46. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 14, 2013, 15:01 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 14:14:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 12:23:
I realize you need to periodically update, I have no problems with that. The issue I have with this whole debate is they should be looking at the mental health aspect and ways we can improve that. Instead we're looking to ban clip sizes which won't make one lick of difference.

No, that's not what I take from this at all. Clip size bans might have an effect, I'm no expert in this stuff so I can't make a definitive statement and I doubt you are either which calls your conclusion into question. It goes without saying that mental health issues need to be tackled but it's the same types of voters who don't want health care that also don't want any gun control. There's no reason we can't do both either.

Not all of us are in that same group. I'm an independent, and against the pointless gun control laws they're proposing now, in favor of some reasonable changes to gun laws that actually could help, and very much in favor of better mental health care (and better health care in general). I do think you're right that there are a lot that are against both though. I don't understand those people though, so I certainly can't speak for them.

Seems like the media is fixated on putting as many whackjobs on the air on this topic as they can find, so you end up with guys like Alex Jones getting interviewed. He sure as hell doesn't speak for me. Neither does LaPierre, for that matter.

Edit: Nice to see at least some of the nutjobs out there getting called on it.

44. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 14, 2013, 12:36 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:56:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:42:

A handgun can fire blistering fast as well. A vehicle can be used as a one ton projectile of death, and was I believe the leading cause of death last year, so should we ban cars? Maybe just the fast vroom vroom red ones? And again the 2nd amendment is not there for "hunting" But you know that.

This argument doesn't make any sense, it's not about determining the leading causes of death as those are known quantities. You're also ignoring that a great deal of prevention measures have been and continue to be enacted for things like cars, roadways, chemicals, etc. Gun control debates are pointless anyway, people on both sides get too emotional and are way too invested in their position to ever be reasonable about it.

Updating and modifying gun control happens all the time and I would think any responsible gun advocate will appreciate that. It's not a catch all to stop random violence though, people need to realize that. Just like updating health care will not guarantee that a sick person won't get a gun and do this again. There are no fixes, all we can do is strive to do better and hope that it works.

There are things we can do that may actually help. Improve reporting by the states to update NICS. Enable NICS use for background checks for private sales. Improve access to mental health care, and work to de-stigmatize it. Require that weapons be locked up in homes where there is a resident with mental issues that would disqualify them from ownership (and depending on the details, this could be applied more broadly).

Most of the ideas being considered for legislation right now are just worthless and will only affect law-abiding gun owners. It's political pandering and grandstanding. They're not going to make anyone safer.

43. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 14, 2013, 12:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 11:44:
We make it difficult to get cars, take licenses away all the time, and have an enormous amount of restrictions on them that we don't have on guns.
Getting a car is not very hard at all actually. It basically just costs money. Driving tests are very easy to pass, and once you pass one, there's little chance you'll ever be tested again.

For all the regulations on them that we do have, we still have tens of thousands of vehicle-related deaths every year. Those restrictions don't prevent people from driving intoxicated, tired, or from road raging or racing or other dangerous behavior. We do very little to take bad or impaired drivers off the road too. How many accidents are caused by old people who shouldn't be driving anymore for various medical reasons? It's not until they cause an accident that anyone even tries to evaluate their abilities or take away their license.

The point is that if people are willing to break the law, then the law is no longer an impediment to them. You can stack 20 more laws on top of that, and it's really not going to make a difference. Just like designating places as "gun-free zones" isn't going to do anything to improve safety. You've basically stopped anyone with the intent to abide by the law from having a weapon there. Congrats on that.

36. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 14, 2013, 10:12 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Jan 14, 2013, 08:21:
I call what they're proposing knee jerk because it won't help at all and they're using these victims as a platform to justify more control for the sake of it.
Right, and I tried to give examples of a couple of non-knee-jerky things that could be done to improve the situation. The biggest elephant in the room is still the rather appalling state of mental health care in this country. Until we start doing something about that, instead of just dispensing pills to anyone with insurance, anything else we try is just a band-aid at best. Unfortunately, that hasn't been a priority for either party, but the Republicans are generally much more opposed to broadening access to health care. Time for them to face up to it.

Regardless of its flaws, Obamacare is better than what we've had up until now, and certainly better than the huge nothing that Republicans did over the 10 years or so that they were in control. As far as I'm concerned, they had their chance to do something constructive and passed on it, so they can quit whining now and start cooperating and working to improve it. Particularly focusing on improving mental health care. Then maybe we could start getting somewhere.

34. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jan 14, 2013, 00:54 Wowbagger_TIP

StreetPreacher wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 01:09:
PropheT wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 23:17:
NewMaxx wrote on Jan 12, 2013, 22:50:
What was the statistic? Oh right...more people were killed last year by bludgeoning than guns in this country.

Um...bullshit.

Not for last year, but you get the idea that it isn't even a LITTLE close: FBI Expanded homicide statistics for 2007-2011

I seem to remember the quote you're talking about somewhere, though, and they didn't say "guns" they said a specific type of rifle.
Assault rifles. More people are killed each year by bludgeoning (and bicycles, interestingly enough) than are killed w/ assault rifles, which comprise a fraction of 1% of homicides.

Actually, according to the FBI statistics (latest that I can find), more people are killed by unarmed people than by all kinds of rifles and shotguns combined.

33. Re: More Big Picture Details Jan 14, 2013, 00:53 Wowbagger_TIP

HorrorScope wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 14:43:
RollinThundr wrote on Jan 13, 2013, 13:43:
I don't however 99.99% of the time liberals propose knee jerk reactions

20 kids mowed down and you throw out knee jerk reactions. How many have to die for you? Probably doesn't matter... until it hits home.
How many have to die until what? Until we do something stupid, pointless and knee-jerky? That seems to be about all that's on the table right now. Hasn't helped in the past.

All 3 mediums can give some, doesn't mean it won't happen, but we can do better. Assualt, clip size, banning gun shows and registration are all things that can be put on the table, not meaning all are gotten.
Opening up NICS for use in private sales would be a good thing. Improving reporting from the states about those who should be listed as a prohibited person in NICS would also be a good thing. The reporting is pretty bad right now. That stuff also needs to be maintained. Maintenance costs money. But money doesn't seem to be an issue to those calling for new laws anyway.

This week in CA a person goes in with a shotgun, only shot one and they are are in critical but stable. That is the difference between handgun/rifle/shotgun vs spray and pray guns. Not that someone won't die, but it does limit it. Hence... doing a little better.
Wow. That's a pretty dishonest portrayal of the incident. The kid went in with the intent to shoot a couple of specific people, who he called out by name. He shot one before his teacher intervened to try to talk him down. He even said he didn't want to hurt the teacher. He wasn't a spree shooter out to kill as many as possible. Trying to paint him as such to help your argument is pretty weak.

News Comments > MechWarrior Tactics Closed Beta; Founder's Program
10. Re: MechWarrior Tactics Closed Beta; Founder's Program Jan 10, 2013, 23:53 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm wondering how P2W this game will be. From what I've read, it sounds like they're almost going for a CCG type of game, but you can still earn cards in-game. Not sure how much grinding you have to do to get stuff though. The synergies between equipment from the same manufacturer, for example, could give an advantage to someone who can buy a bunch of stuff up front. Not sure how significant it will actually be in the game though.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDP Reveal Next Month?
28. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Trailer - New CDR Reveal Next Month? Jan 10, 2013, 23:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Not sure what to expect from the game, and I really wish it wasn't so far off, but I love the art style and the kinds of tech they're using. Mission accomplished, I have been teased.  

News Comments > Path of Exile Open Beta This Month
13. Re: Path of Exile Open Beta This Month Jan 10, 2013, 13:20 Wowbagger_TIP

Played the beta off and on over the last year. The game has really improved a lot over that time. The skill tree used to be a crazy mess, but now they've really made it much more interesting and balanced, but still allowing for all sorts of builds. Love the skill tree tool they have on their website for planning your build too!

There are a ton of skills and skill supports now, and they can completely change how you play. Everyone should be able to create a character that works for them and the style of play they like. I'll definitely be playing again when OB starts.

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 3, 2013, 16:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jan 3, 2013, 11:32:
I still fail to see how allowing Mickey Mouse or the Beatles catalog to be public use encourages innovation. It seems to actually do the opposite.

Yes, Walt Disney is still sitting on Mickey Mouse rather than creating new characters. But other people are forced to create new characters rather than use Mickey Mouse.

To be fair, people can do anything they want with Santa Claus and other non-copyrighted characters, and we have a wide variety of creations that do make some use of them, including porn. I don't see why other creations should be locked up forever either.

5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jan 2, 2013, 14:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:32:
At this point even a Half Life? Half Life 2 is over 3 years old, so we should legally have a Half Life 3 sex game with Alyx and Dog?

oh hellz yeah...

Beamer wrote on Jan 2, 2013, 13:32:
Half Life should be public domain so we should just be able to get it off the internet without paying Valve? EA should be able to sell it on Origin without paying them?

If something still has value the creator should still be able to get value. I can't think of a single argument for how society would be better if Gordon Freeman was public domain. Or if every shitty amusement park in every backwoods part of the country suddenly had Mickey Mouse walking around.

Seriously though, I agree with you. I actually think copyright should last a default of about 10 years, and then allow for renewals that must be paid for, and probably with an increase in cost for each renewal. That would keep people from just sitting on things forever, hoping they may come back into vogue at some point, and allow access to things that really aren't worth much to the creator anymore. The pricing would be tricky to work out, as would a lot of other details, but I'm sure it could be done.

News Comments > New Year's Metaverse
5. Re: Broadband price hikes. Jan 2, 2013, 04:14 Wowbagger_TIP

Kitkoan wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 21:54:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 21:18:
Kitkoan wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 20:24:
jdreyer wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 17:43:
Why? Because they can. They're a monopoly in most places.

Hey, according to their highly paid lobbyists, they are in a healthy competition environment...

The world would be abetter place if they couldn't lobby. It has gotten so far out of control. I don't see how it is even legal, laws are now written by special interest groups....so sad.

The reality of it is the US isn't a democracy anymore and hasn't been for years. Its a crony capitalist nation borderlining a corporatocracy. More and more laws are made for the big business against the people, and will continue until there is a major shake up. But for that level of a shake up, it would take almost a revolution (which is what big business it trying to make sure can't happen, with more and more control over the internet and personal devices.)

The game is definitely rigged for the corporations.

News Comments > Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM
33. Re: Torchlight 2 Sells 1MM Jan 2, 2013, 03:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Dev wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 19:26:
PHJF wrote on Jan 1, 2013, 18:47:
Heck why stop at hundreds of thousands? I say a minimum of four hundred trillion. That's not too much of a reach, really.
Since thats just a bit more than the population, I'd say it is.

Not really. I pirated it 59254 times. I'm sure that's about average for most people.

News Comments > Dune II Web Revival
8. Re: Dune II Web Revival Dec 30, 2012, 21:46 Wowbagger_TIP

I remember spending countless hours playing Dune II back when it first came out. I tried it again years later, but yeah, the interface is painful, and it's been surpassed in gameplay many times over since then. Great game in its time though.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
13. Re: Randi Zuckerberg Dec 27, 2012, 14:04 Wowbagger_TIP

@Sepharo
I was about to mention that point as well (and someone else already mentioned it below). I think the main issue here is that this kind of thing happens all the time to all kinds of people. People have been complaining to FB about it for years. So it's easy for someone to be especially frustrated to hear it coming from her, especially claiming that it's just simple human decency after all the very non-decent things FB has done.

Edit: quotes seemed to be jacked at the moment

3789 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo