Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3790 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > EA Dropping Licensed Firearms
1. Re: EA Dropping Licensed Firearms May 7, 2013, 19:52 Wowbagger_TIP

They say recent shootings and the NRA's attempts to shift blame for them onto the games industry did not factor into this

Yeah... I don't buy that at all, but whatever. I wouldn't blame them at all for wanting to kick the NRA in the nuts for that BS. Then I remember this is EA, and I wish they'd just pummel each others' nuts mercilessly.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Torment Kickstarter Makes Final Goal
17. Re: Torment Kickstarter Makes Final Goal May 1, 2013, 19:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Julio wrote on May 1, 2013, 18:52:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on May 1, 2013, 08:48:
So DRM-free for backers. This is different than SRR how?

It's clear in what they wrote. Not to mention they're being much more honest and upfront about things. No mention of DRM at all, unless you would prefer it on Steam than GOG.

"For both Torment and Wasteland 2, we're not using Steamworks and you won't be forced to use any single retailer option to access any part of the game or be able to use modding. We'll put the game on retailers that use DRM, like Steam or Origin, sure, because our backers can decide for themselves if they prefer that option, and we're agnostic to where you get the game."
So they're promising more than SRR did. Good for them. Still don't get the whining about SRR though. People seem to have made up their own ideas of what they should deliver rather than what they said they'd deliver.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: Torment Kickstarter Makes Final Goal May 1, 2013, 08:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Julio wrote on May 1, 2013, 08:10:
Fibrocyte wrote on May 1, 2013, 05:40:
Julio wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 19:50:
A KS that over delivers when they don't have to. Glad to have funded this.

Did you read about the DRM fiasco going on with this game? You better back out, Julio! Dun dun dun...

There's no DRM fiasco for this game. Good try though.

"For both Torment and Wasteland 2, we're not using Steamworks and you won't be forced to use any single retailer option to access any part of the game or be able to use modding. We'll put the game on retailers that use DRM, like Steam or Origin, sure, because our backers can decide for themselves if they prefer that option, and we're agnostic to where you get the game."

So DRM-free for backers. This is different than SRR how?

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Flashback Supporters Get Classic Pack
2. Re: Jagged Alliance: Flashback Supporters Get Classic Pack May 1, 2013, 00:10 Wowbagger_TIP

gilly775 wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 10:02:
They could get even more funding by offering something around the $15.00 tier. There are many other TBS kickstarter games that offered that tier, even if limited, yet these guys said they didn't think it was fair to have a tier at that level, especially a limited one.

That's just kind of dumb. Most every other KS has done that, and people don't seem to find it unfair. We all want to see the game get made. Some are just willing and able to kick in more than others, and get a few extra perks for it.

9. Re: Torment Kickstarter Makes Final Goal May 1, 2013, 00:07 Wowbagger_TIP

The ideas they've talked about for the strongholds sound pretty cool. I'm really excited for this game. Just glad I'll have Shadowrun, Wasteland 2 and Grim Dawn coming out before then to keep me busy while I'm waiting...  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Preorders
9. Re: Shadowrun Returns Preorders May 1, 2013, 00:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on Apr 30, 2013, 23:19:
The DRM fiasco always struck me as silly. They never promised that the game would always be DRM-free. They just stated that backers would be able to choose a DRM-free version of the game. They also never said that the DRM-free version would get access to all the post-release content.

Julio and some others have been in non-stop bitch-mode since they clarified the DRM issue. They somehow interpreted it to mean something other than what they actually said during the KS. I couldn't care less if they ever buy the game or not. I'm glad it's getting made, and I hope we see more SR games, or at least DLC.

Saw the matrix demo they recently posted too, and now I'm really looking forward to seeing what kinds of stuff will be done with the editor.

News Comments > Worlds of Magic Kickstarted
5. Re: Worlds of Magic Kickstarted Apr 25, 2013, 23:04 Wowbagger_TIP

Keith wrote on Apr 25, 2013, 21:03:
I'm already in. Looks solid and I've been getting an almost daily "World of Magic" kickstarter update that has all the latest details. I've kickstarted a couple of other projects and this is the first one to keep me in the loop. Although I didn't play the original Masters of Magic this game is based on, I am a total Age of Wonders fan. Since Elemental sucks, I am hoping this or AoW III will fill my TBS void.

Elemental sucked, but by all accounts, Fallen Enchantress/Legendary Heroes is quite good.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 23, 2013, 23:01 Wowbagger_TIP

Cutter wrote on Apr 22, 2013, 22:10:
How could that idiot not think she'd get caught? Oh right, she works in PR to begin with.

Good on the judge for jailing that clown!

And good on the other judge for fining himself.

She should've gotten jail time. That's kind of bullshit that you can steal that much money and not do any time.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 18, 2013, 23:40 Wowbagger_TIP

HBO and Showtime have some of the best shows on TV right now, and profanity and nudity definitely play a part. But then they play a part in real life too, and the way some regular TV shows try to walk the line without going over just comes off as contrived usually.  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified
107. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 15, 2013, 08:49 Wowbagger_TIP

Julio wrote on Apr 15, 2013, 06:03:
Flatline wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 21:40:
Because you're a dipshit.
And I think you're one. Though shockingly I agree with Beamer on something that there is no real recourse.

So to sum up this thread:
-DRM is good (if its Steam)
-Steam is good
-Any thing not mentioned by someone running a kickstarter is a mistake/the backer's fault for not knowing and good
-Save points are good
-Anything SR is good no matter what
-Loot is bad
-Anyone who disagrees is bad

I think I've got the general opinion down
Well, that pretty much solidified my opinion of you, so thanks for that.

83. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 13:37 Wowbagger_TIP

Kajetan wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 12:00:
Krovven wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 11:29:
That's irrational and an extremely thin argument. You and a few others are reading into something that isn't there and never was there, simply to justify your irrational whining.
You, sir, are the winner of this discussion. Your interpretation of reality is by far the weirdest shit i've read in this thread. You simple define the facts you have presented yourself as not existant, because these facts dont fit into your world view. Not bad, sir, not bad ...

Crown
Except that he's exactly right. You ARE assuming things that were never said by HBS. And KS is based on donations, not investments, not purchase transactions, just donations. They offer rewards for those donations you make in the hope that they will be able to deliver the thing you want. HBS is delivering on exactly what they said they would to those that donated. Nothing was promised to be DRM free beyond the Berlin campaign, and nothing at all was promised to non-backers. If you don't like it, you can get a refund.

You seem to be the one with the weird interpretation here.

82. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 13:35 Wowbagger_TIP

Julio wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 13:12:
Harlequin wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 12:37:
One could argue well they should have been more careful with the fine print. And that's probably a valid issue. But saying or implying they held this info back knowingly is incorrect unless you are saying this wasn't human error but out right lying.

I think they're lying. But who knows, maybe they're just completely incompetent and can't read a contract.

Because contracts are always clear and comprehensive about everything, right? There's never a need to ask for additional info or to negotiate things that weren't explicitly covered in detail in the contract, right? No... of course they're just lying...

And of course this comes on the heels of the other news about how nobody knows who owns the NOLF license. Because, you know, contracts are always so clear about everything and lawyers never make mistakes...

49. Re: Shadowrun Returns DRM Clarified Apr 14, 2013, 01:02 Wowbagger_TIP

nin wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 00:42:
jacobvandy wrote on Apr 14, 2013, 00:13:
I wasn't following the KS for this, but am I correct in gleaning that they never disclosed a licensing agreement with Microsoft, and what strings were attached to that? If so, I'd go so far as to say I couldn't trust them for any future projects...

It's mention in the pitch video (@1:55) that they had to get a license (not MS specifically), as well as the front page:
The game we want to make is very humble by modern blockbuster game standards but it is still way beyond the ability of a small start-up to fund by itself. The restraints on the license from Microsoft made it impossible to get established publishers interested in Shadowrun and so it remained just a dream for a long time until Jordan saw the recent successes of some other veteran designers on Kickstarter.

Also mentioned in Update 41

So basically this stuff has been known from the start, if you read what they posted on KS. So people are bitching about nothing. They are delivering what they said they would deliver, and if for some strange reason you still feel cheated, you can get a refund.

What the hell is the problem?

News Comments > New Jagged Alliance Coming
10. Re: New Jagged Alliance Coming Apr 11, 2013, 19:26 Wowbagger_TIP

What I really didn't like was that stealth never really seemed to work for me as a viable approach to a map. It always devolved into luring them to snipers and hoping they didn't get lucky headshots when they sprayed auto fire at me. They could seem to detect you no matter what you do to be stealthy.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
15. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 11, 2013, 19:07 Wowbagger_TIP

Julio wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 15:44:
Waiting on this one and didn't back it, seemed very pay-to-win.

Yeah, I did get that impression. Although for me it was more like "pay A LOT to win". Those ships they were offering were expensive!

News Comments > Morning Interviews
9. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 11, 2013, 13:25 Wowbagger_TIP

I didn't back this, since it was obviously going to make a ton of money anyway, and I really had no idea what would come out of it. I figure I'll just wait and see. I'm hoping for some kind of happy medium between X3 and Freelancer.  

News Comments > PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild
4. Re: PlanetSide 2 Certs Gone Wild Apr 11, 2013, 13:10 Wowbagger_TIP

DG wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 13:00:
I play PS2 a lot. This is a really bad fuck up.

Sure there's not much freak out nerd rage, but that's the sign of it being a genuine problem. Its the people who have been putting real money and huge playtime into the game that are pissed off.

Anyway, I guess all the folks here who tried out this game for a few days could try logging in to see if they've won the cert lottery.

After trying the game a couple times, I can't make myself care enough to login and check.

News Comments > Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer
24. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Preorders; Trailer Apr 11, 2013, 13:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 12:52:
Cutter wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:46:
avianflu wrote on Apr 11, 2013, 11:28:
looks like the devs played saints row the 3rd and then made this.

I take it you missed the 80s entirely.

I don't remember the 80s being THIS fucking wacky.

Creston

Yeah, but as an 80s parody, it was pretty awesome I'm now interested in this game and hope that the gameplay lives up to what it looks like it could be from that trailer.

News Comments > New Jagged Alliance Coming
1. Re: New Jagged Alliance Coming Apr 11, 2013, 12:42 Wowbagger_TIP

Well, the last one was disappointing for me. They really need to work on the AI, from what I was seeing.  

News Comments > Stardock Plans "At Least" Two Game Announcements
45. Re: Stardock Plans Apr 11, 2013, 11:39 Wowbagger_TIP

draginol wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 19:59:
Beamer wrote on Apr 10, 2013, 19:39:

Though it amuses me that UPS said they were boycotting Fox News, and, annoyed at this censorship, Brad had his corporation boycott UPS.
Isn't that just a tiny bit hypocritical?

"Your corporation is practicing censorship with its boycott, so my corporation has to boycott yours!"

I tend to think of boycotts as being about giving something up. If I have two shippers to choose from and one of them is using their advertising dollars to try to influence someone else's speech then I'll pick the one that doesn't. UPS was trying to use their ad dollars to influence speech. I don't like that.

I'm not trying to stop a company or a person from saying whatever they want. That was my point. The answer to speech you don't like is more speech. At the time, I time, I hadn't really heard of Glenn Beck. I don't watch much TV. Why people think I'm a fan of Glenn Beck is beyond me.

While I agree the whole thing was overblown, I'm really failing to see how this approach is any different than what UPS was doing. They didn't want their money being used to support a racist jackass saying all kinds of retarded things on TV. How is it not their absolute right to redirect those dollars to someplace where they won't have to be associated with the kind of toxic craziness promoted by Beck?

3790 Comments. 190 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo