Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3932 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
8. Re: Into the Black Mar 28, 2015, 01:29 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 01:16:
1badmf wrote on Mar 28, 2015, 00:53:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 27, 2015, 21:06:
I'm waiting to see what materializes.

the idea of Trek has always been grand, but i've always found the implementation to be rather bland and uninspiring, with the exception of a few eps here and there. to me there's no surprise that it never lasts - until they get writers and producers that really embrace the inspirational human side of the show, it'll just remain schlocky scifi that most people ignore. that's why i always hated it when enterprise and crew went down the warpath with alien race A, B, or C. it abandoned what made it potentially great in favor of cheap drama.

It would be awesome if they did it like Game of Thrones, with say maybe a 10-12 episodes per year, but each of higher quality. I think the show suffered when they had to put out 24 per year. And as long as they're emulating GoT, maybe they can add some bewbs.

mmmmmm.... green bewbs...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 24, 2015, 11:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Speaking of supercells, Bing looks pretty cool today. Hover over the little boxes and one has a link to some rather mesmerizing time-lapse videos.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Into the Black
5. Re: Into the Black Mar 19, 2015, 01:21 Wowbagger_TIP

IAMLIT_REFLEX wrote on Mar 19, 2015, 00:50:
Am I the only one here who thinks it's really shitty that movies like Bladerunner and The Matrix blatantly rip off pre-existing works such as the book Bladerunner about underground medical practices and the couriers who deliver the doctors' goods (yes, different concept, I know. They stole the name and that fucks up the chances of a REAL Bladerunner movie!!!) or The Matrix ripping off the concept of a virtual reality world (The Matrix from Shadowrun)?

Now you know that the people behind The Matrix movie paid FASA/Microsoft a good deal of money for such a blatant rip off....

I couldn't care less. Bladerunner is a great movie. First Matrix was pretty good too. Plenty of room for everyone.

News Comments > etc.
6. Re: etc. Mar 9, 2015, 15:22 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeahyeah Yeah wrote on Mar 9, 2015, 12:46:
you mean actual real scientists doing actual real scientists and not shills paid by

"Real scientists" does not define an elite, pure breed, devoid of flaw. The shitty scientists who do work people hate or who people regard as dishonest are as real as the ones they idolize.

No one ever says that a given politician they dislike is not a REAL politician, or that a corrupt CEO is not a REAL CEO. Let's cut this shit out.

Both sides have their uninformed cheerleaders rooting for their team. Can't do much about that. One side has actual science supporting its claims, and > 97% of actual climate scientists supporting those claims. The other side relies on manufacturing doubt and delay through any means possible. Just like we saw with the tobacco industry for decades. Many of the same people involved, in fact.

News Comments > NVIDIA SHIELD Console Announced; GRID Launch in May
34. Re: NVIDIA SHIELD Console Announced; GRID Launch in May Mar 5, 2015, 11:44 Wowbagger_TIP

loomy wrote on Mar 5, 2015, 07:50:
let's take a poll, guys. these are the people who have used GRID and therefore know what they're talking about:

loomy

no one else? has not ONE of you blowhards used GRID? silence from the crowd.
So, how did nvidia manage to overcome the speed of light in transmitting control inputs to prevent input lag in action games?

News Comments > Magicka 2 in May
5. Re: Magicka 2 in May Mar 5, 2015, 00:23 Wowbagger_TIP

I liked the idea and the mechanics were interesting, but I found myself using only a few spells most of the time, because it was too hectic to remember other combinations quick enough for them to be useful. I liked the humor in the game too, so I may eventually pick this up if it gets good reviews.  

News Comments > Gigantic a Windows 10 Launch Game
1. Re: Gigantic a Windows 10 Launch Game Mar 4, 2015, 19:07 Wowbagger_TIP

Sounds like they didn't learn much from their Shadowrun debacle.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 15:37 Wowbagger_TIP

Tumbler wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 15:11:
The most likely scenario I see is Barrack Obama giving him a full pardon as he leaves office. If I was Snowden I don't think I'd take the chance on anything less.
As anti-whistle-blower as the Obama administration has been, I'd be pretty surprised if that happened.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
12. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2015, 13:39 Wowbagger_TIP

• nin wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 12:12:
    Darks wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 12:04:
    Once he lands, grab him and toss him in the deepest darkest pit and throw away the key.

Exactly how many deaths has the information he revealed led to?
    I haven't heard any numbers, or even anecdotes, have you?

News Comments > The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage
    10. Re: The Witcher 3 Gameplay Footage Mar 4, 2015, 13:26 Wowbagger_TIP

WaltC wrote on Mar 4, 2015, 13:14:
    Poor design bottlenecks that interrupted the flow of both games, I thought--in W1 it was the Hell-dog fight, followed by the Spider Queen cave attack sequence--the game would stop as I save and reload until I could get the timing of my button-presses correct--so that I could get through the sequences.

Yeah, I remember the hell-dog fight being the thing that caused my interest in the first game to drop off rapidly. Once I got past it, I didn't get very far before I moved on to another game. I think I was just expecting that that's what the whole game was going to be like. Tedious, in a word.

News Comments > Trine 3 Announced
    15. Re: Trine 3 Announced Mar 2, 2015, 19:05 Wowbagger_TIP

My wife has finally started getting into games lately. (Before now it was just mobile or tablet games). She's been playing some stuff on Wii U, like SM3DW and SSB.

She likes to play co-op with me, so I think the Trine games would be something she'd love, for their beauty at first, but hopefully for the game play as well. I just haven't come up with a good way to play PC games on the living room TV with wireless controllers. If I can get that worked out, we'll be all set!

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2015, 21:45.

News Comments > FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband
    159. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 28, 2015, 14:28 Wowbagger_TIP

descender wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 13:06:
    No, it's not pointless at all. People seem to be pretending that only Republican politicians are corrupt corporate shills, and that's simply not true.

It was just a single post among 150 others. You guys are turning it into an argument for no reason. You have also contributed 2 complaints about other posters to this thread, and nothing involving the discussion going on... so who's making pointless posts?
    I think both of my posts had very clear points. I'm not here to repeat what others have already said. I don't see anyone saying that only Republican politicians are corrupt corporate shills, so that's just a straw man you've constructed for your own purposes. The argument absolutely was pointless, since it's only useful against that straw man.

157. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 28, 2015, 12:56 Wowbagger_TIP

descender wrote on Feb 28, 2015, 10:49:
    Well, I didn't say that either, the other guy did... and he wasn't wrong. The straw man is strong with this one. So... back in the deep in with you!

Pretty sure he's just making an obvious statement that they are all corrupt, and pretending that one party takes more money than the other just makes you look extremely naive. If you need to pretend that he meant "don't vote it's a waste of time" just so that you can argue against it, then you need to take a step back. No one but you is making that arguement.

Obviously you should simply vote for who you feel is the "least corrupt" person... but you clearly feel too strongly about this to speak on it rationally.

So it was pretty much a pointless, useless argument that ends up with us doing exactly what most people already do, vote for the least corrupt guy? Glad you could clarify that.

93. Re: FCC Reinstates Net Neutrality; Unfetters Local Broadband Feb 27, 2015, 01:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Zanthar wrote on Feb 26, 2015, 21:02:
    Yeah, that was all Al Gore wasn't it? Read a book about how the internet was started some day. I've been on the Internet since I had to pay delphi $3/hr for 2400 baud access. I can assure you that the government had nothing to do with it's birth, and has only put up roadblocks in it's way ever since.

Zanthar wrote on Feb 27, 2015, 00:38:
    The basic framework for the Internet was created by government funded programs, but it was all the open source contributions from students and entrepreneurs that brought it from a shitty UNIX shell command prompt and 2400 baud dial up to what it is today. Not the government.

Funny how you've gone from your earlier statement to this now. One wonders exactly how far you plan to carry those goalposts. One might even think you don't really know what you're talking about on this subject, and probably not on the others you've commented on either.

Edit: messed up quotes
    This comment was edited on Feb 27, 2015, 01:37.

News Comments > SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week
    38. Re: SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week Feb 24, 2015, 23:57 Wowbagger_TIP

Redmask wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 20:09:
    Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 12:58:
    That, and I've never been able to get my wireless 360 controller to work with my pc. Gave up on that and just started using a wired XBone controller.

This is the first time I've ever heard of someone having that problem. If you have the official base then it just does it automatically. If you're using a knockoff chinese one then you just go to Microsoft Gaming Devices or whatever the driver tab is called and select Wireless Controller for Windows. Then hit the sync buttons on both of them.

Yeah, mine's a knockoff. I tried everything I could think of or find online to fix it. No go. I think maybe it's just defective.

36. Re: SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week Feb 24, 2015, 12:58 Wowbagger_TIP

Frags4Fun wrote on Feb 24, 2015, 08:39:
    Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 20:09:
    The mention of Steam machines reminded me that I was looking for the current best way to stream games from a PC in another room to the TV in the living room. I'm thinking mainly of console-ish games like Rogue Legacy, Monaco, SpeedRunners, etc., that we can play with a controller. I've been looking at Razer Forge TV as a potential solution, but not sure what else might work. Just needs to support wireless controllers and be low-latency enough to play action platformer type games where timing is important. Anyone know of any good solutions?

I simply ran a $30 50' HDMI cable from my PC upstairs down to the living room TV. I then ran a USB cable to the living room as well but I need 2 cheap $10 USB hubs in the middle to keep the signal alive. The only reason I ran the USB was for mouse and keyboard. The wireless 360 controller worked even with the controller plugged into the PC upstairs. I just set my 1080P monitor and TV to duplicate.

It worked very nicely.

As far as streaming games with something like splashtop, don't bother. It's terrible. I wasted a lot of time on that.

Not sure if that would work for me, given the layout of our house. The cabling would be pretty tough I think. That, and I've never been able to get my wireless 360 controller to work with my pc. Gave up on that and just started using a wired XBone controller.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released
    2. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC Released Feb 24, 2015, 12:11 Wowbagger_TIP

I really need to get a new vid card to replace my lemon r9 280x. I haven't even finished the main game yet, and I would love to get back into it. I just need to figure out what card to get though.  

10. Re: SteamVR Hardware Reveal Next Week Feb 23, 2015, 20:09 Wowbagger_TIP

jdreyer wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 19:15:
    Redmask wrote on Feb 23, 2015, 18:52:
    Awesome, more stuff I will see once and probably never again.

Oh, you'll see it. Might just take a while though. Remember, everyone there works on "Valve time."

Honestly, I'm glad there's competition, and that Gabe is using his money for innovation rather than just hookers n blo. Some of these initiatives will probably fail, or may have already (Steam machines?). But I think that controller concept has promised, and I'll be glad if the OR isn't the only choice in VR hardware.

The mention of Steam machines reminded me that I was looking for the current best way to stream games from a PC in another room to the TV in the living room. I'm thinking mainly of console-ish games like Rogue Legacy, Monaco, SpeedRunners, etc., that we can play with a controller. I've been looking at Razer Forge TV as a potential solution, but not sure what else might work. Just needs to support wireless controllers and be low-latency enough to play action platformer type games where timing is important. Anyone know of any good solutions?

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
    2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 22, 2015, 14:20 Wowbagger_TIP

Cutter wrote on Feb 22, 2015, 13:31:
    Bullied by office jerks? Well tell them that the Jerk Store called and it's running out of them! Wry

But seriously, if you're good at what you do you don't get bullied. You're far too valuable to the organization for that to happen. Either these people aren't that good at what they do or they really don't understand their worth.
    People who get bullied, probably throughout their lives, don't understand their worth? Who woulda thunk it?!

News Comments > Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup
    2. Re: Sunday Crowdfunding Roundup Feb 15, 2015, 18:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Pineapple Ferguson wrote on Feb 15, 2015, 13:42:
    Woohoo! I have high hopes for this game and am glad I backed it.

Same here. Really looking forward to the new magic and matrix gameplay. Should be a great game! Hope they keep producing more campaigns and improving the underlying game with each.

3932 Comments. 197 pages. Viewing page 2.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo