Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3810 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
162. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 16, 2013, 17:35 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 17:20:
Beamer wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 13:26:
Fun fact: the US isn't even in the top 30 for debt as a % of GDP.

It's standard for debt whiners - they complain about the absolute value without actually putting it relative to anything (numbers alone are meaningless unless they're anchored to something. % of GDP is a good one. $ per capita is a good one. Absolute value is not a good one.) And none of them can ever explain why the debt will hurt us. In general, they complain about things like China owning us (without understanding how much China owns and why it isn't really a pressing concern.)

No one will say our debt is good. No one will say we shouldn't make broad moves to stem it from growing. But it isn't our most pressing concern. That debt has next to no impact on our domestic economy. That debt doesn't contribute to our country being a crappier place to live. Let's focus on things that do.

Except you offer zero ideas on how to keep the debt from growing, I've yet to see one person that I would consider a liberal by their opinions posted, ever offer once instance of how to trim our debt aside from gutting the military. Just once I'd love to see what things you asshats would actually trim.
it seems to me that democrats want big government, they obviously love being told what to do as well by said big government. Because they never make the argument that a slimmer more efficient government would save money in the long run. Instead they want the opposite. Blows my mind.

Lol @ the hyperbole "gutting the military". You get annoyed at others for ad hom and such, but apparently you aren't any better at discussing things than they are. Do you have to straw-man any position you don't like?

There's plenty that can be done to trim down defense spending without coming anywhere near "gutting" it. You don't seem to be interested in that conversation though.

Anyway, I need to go read up on this apparent resolution and see what happened.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

155. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 16, 2013, 11:35 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 10:41:
I think military spending should be higher than hand outs. Is that a good enough example for you?

But why? Rather than having a list of who gets more and who gets less, how about we determine what each area actually needs in terms of resources and capital then pay them accordingly. If their needs to be a heirarchy of importance of what gets cut first if the money runs out before everyone is paid, then so be it. But it seems laughably simplistic to flatly say "Whatever public welfare gets in federal money defense needs to exceed it!"

I hate deadbeats who do nothing but get fat on the public dole as much as you but, despite your constant derision of "hand-outs", the fact of the matter is that most good people will need some kind of help some time in their life. How can we be called a "civilized nation" if we don't see that they get the help they need to get back on their feet?

I don't get upset about said deadbeats like you do (as evidenced by the constant harping on it) because it is a relatively small number of Americans who do so.

From Statistical Information and Demographics derived from the latest national census:

If you use those who are supported by Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)--best described as a federal largess to indigent families with dependent children--as stated by the Dept. of Health the data suggests 1.7% of the total population that derive over 50% of their income from Welfare supports.

The number stated that receive any portion of their support from from welfare assistance--including food stamps--it is 29,900,000 or roughly 8% of the total population in the United States.

This breaks down to:

39% white 11,661,000 of 29,900,000 recipients

38% black 11,362,000 of 29,900,000

17% Hispanic 5,083,000 of 29,900,000

That's only 8% of Americans according the the data. And many of those people work but have jobs that pay too little to support themselves - hardly deadbeats.

That leaves the stated 1.7% of Americans who basically live off of Federal Welfare. That's less than 2% for heaven's sake. It's too many to be sure, but in the big scheme of things, with all the problems we have in the US, is it worth the amount of ranting and screaming people do when it is less than 2% of Americans doing it? That conceivably means 98% of Americans are NOT doing it and are trying to eek out an honest living. It's really a matte rof perspective for me. My annoyance about an issue is commensurate with the size of the issue as much as anything else, and for me it's just not worth getting all bent out of shape over.

Not to mention that many of those that get assistance but don't have jobs, either can't find one since hiring has been way down, or have mental health issues that make them unable to hold down a job. Many of these folks are military vets too. A big chunk of the homeless population are vets for this very reason. It's also something that a better health care system could help to remedy.

There are always going to be some that just live off of the government. To think that it's a comfortable living and that people will just start choosing to do so is just not accurate. To deny the assistance to the vast majority that need it for good reason, just to prevent a few hangers-on from getting a handout is both cruel and extremely unhelpful for our economy.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

141. Re: Internet abandons the US Oct 16, 2013, 02:11 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 16, 2013, 01:39:
Redmask wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 20:40:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 20:00:
You also seriously can't say "Hey I'm a fiscal conservative!" while in the same breath advocating bigger government and more government spending. Does not compute.

Yes actually you can. You can be a fiscal conservative and believe that some areas of government need to be larger while others need to be smaller because not all things are created equal. Sorry your brain can't process such a simple concept.

Who knows what Obama could have done if there wasn't gridlock. Who knows what any president could have done due to gridlock, yet another thing both parties have had to face usually with sad results. It's hard to judge what any president truly is when both sides won't work together.

The sad part is that this sort of political gridlock will be met with the same in return if we ever manage to finagle our way back into office, as doubtful as that is considering how toxic the republican brand is becoming.

More adhom thanks asshat, love you too buddy. Personally I think military spending should be higher than hand outs. Is that a good enough example for you?

It's funny that budget proposals can sit on Reid's desk, never get voted on the Senate floor, and it's still the republicans. Guy, they both do it. Neither this congress, nor the senate, nor this administration has made one effort to work together period.

The Dems have tried to enter conference on the budget with the House 21 times, and been rejected 21 times. That Boehner could call for a committee on the budget is just beyond belief. They've completely gone off the deep end.

Mad Max RW wrote on Oct 15, 2013, 16:51:
So how many of you signed up for Obamacare?

I'm neither required, nor eligible to sign up through an exchange. So I didn't. What difference does it make?

News Comments > Space Rangers HD Next Week
3. Re: Space Rangers HD Next Week Oct 10, 2013, 10:41 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Oct 10, 2013, 10:05:
AWESOME! One of my favorite games ever!
Yeah, I spent a lot of time with this one. Looking forward to this update!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Serves Microsoft right Oct 9, 2013, 21:07 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Oct 9, 2013, 20:10:
A good company doesn't always listen to its customers, though. Again, it drives me nuts when people say otherwise. Yeah, for some things you need to, but for other things you need to trust that your engineers know better than your customers. Customers hate change, customers hate new ideas, customers have no clue what they want, customers don't stop and think about how and why they use things.

A company that trusts its customers over its engineers ends up with The Homer car.

The problem is more that the Microsoft engineers aren't making good decisions, or whomever is making the decisions is listening to the wrong motivation.

I'm thinking that XBone sales are going to show that people do know what they don't want.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 5, 2013, 21:21 Wowbagger_TIP

Choobeastia wrote on Oct 5, 2013, 20:37:
What I hear from this? "NSA has great success cracking Tor, plants honeypot story."
Maybe that's just what they want you to hear...

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
47. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 3, 2013, 23:59 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 08:26:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 3, 2013, 02:35:
RollinThundr wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 11:52:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 15:56:

I don't like either party, but in the case of the financial crisis, Republicans deserve a much larger portion of the blame.

So Bush repealed the Glass–Steagall act and forced banks to loan to people who never should have gotten said loans in the first place since they couldn't afford them? Clinton and the democrats are the major reason the housing bubble burst. Yet it's the republicans fault, just like the gov shut down is the republicans fault, just like the Senate failing to vote on a budget is the republicans fault. ETC ETC ETC

Notice a trend there? Everything is always the big bad evil republicans! damn them! /shakes fist
Actually, no, I wasn't even talking about Glass-Steagall, I was talking about things like the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, and other atrocities, likely to have Phil Gramm's fingerprints on them. I don't think you have looked any further into this than maybe the CRA and just decided that it's all the Dems' fault. You really should do a LOT more reading on the subject.

The Commodity Futures Modernization Act of 2000 (CFMA) is United States federal legislation that officially ensured the deregulation of financial products known as over-the-counter derivatives. It was signed into law on December 21, 2000 by President Bill Clinton.

And?
I never said the Dems had nothing to do with it. But this was a bill authored, pushed and sponsored by Republicans. It passed during Clinton's lame duck period in a Republican-controlled Congress. Care to tell me again how the Republicans aren't primarily responsible for that?

It was not the only piece of legislation they pushed for that enabled all the Wall St. crap either. So yes, both parties are responsible, but the Rs did far more to allow this stuff to happen.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 3, 2013, 10:19 Wowbagger_TIP

If it's realism they're going for, then maybe only the losers should be tried for their crimes. Don't worry guys, you'll respawn in like 20 years  

44. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 3, 2013, 02:35 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 2, 2013, 11:52:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 15:56:

I don't like either party, but in the case of the financial crisis, Republicans deserve a much larger portion of the blame.

So Bush repealed the Glass–Steagall act and forced banks to loan to people who never should have gotten said loans in the first place since they couldn't afford them? Clinton and the democrats are the major reason the housing bubble burst. Yet it's the republicans fault, just like the gov shut down is the republicans fault, just like the Senate failing to vote on a budget is the republicans fault. ETC ETC ETC

Notice a trend there? Everything is always the big bad evil republicans! damn them! /shakes fist
Actually, no, I wasn't even talking about Glass-Steagall, I was talking about things like the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, and other atrocities, likely to have Phil Gramm's fingerprints on them. I don't think you have looked any further into this than maybe the CRA and just decided that it's all the Dems' fault. You really should do a LOT more reading on the subject.

42. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Oct 1, 2013, 15:56 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 08:58:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 23:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 22:51:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 20:08:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 20:09:
Funny that even when the liberals have all 3 branches they still accomplish nothing, yet the republicans still get all the blame. Wonder why that is?

Cool story, too bad it isn't true in the sense that they actually would control all three. They don't have the house. Anything less than all 3 is gridlock and typically if it is 2 Dem - 1 Rep it's always gridlock. If it were 1 dem and 2 rep, that has proven to work much better.

To the other poster we all get both sides are a mess. File it under "lesser of two evils".

For the first two years of Obama's presidency they had both the house and senate. Still got zero done. The republicans also got the blame for that as well.
That's crap as well. They had maybe a few months of actual control due to some congresspeople not able to be present for various reasons. Oh, and having to clean up the wreck of an economy that Bush left us with. (I just threw that in since you seem to like wild over-generalization and over-simplifications when you're not just outright lying).

Bush left a mess for sure, Clinton got the ball rolling on the recession however in multiple ways. Junior was just left holding the bag when it exploded so of course he's going to get 100% of the blame.
However here's what gets me, how many more terms does Obama need to have in office before he's a tiny bit responsible? As for your fact check bullshit on the messiah's promises, when you put things like the cost of college as a win in Obama's book and something he's fulfilled as a campaign promise among others, make sure it's true. College tuitions certainly aren't going down.

Both parties suck, Republicans would spend us into bankruptcy at a slightly smaller rate than the Democrats yet either way we're not following the Constitution at all.

While I don't disagree that the Democrats share some of the blame for the financial mess, they were only a part of it. The Republicans took the ball and ran with it, paving the way to make all the ridiculous crap we saw the banks doing essentially legal. It would be one thing if they had called the Dems on what they did and fixed it. But it's quite another to call them on it and then proceed to make things 100x worse. Had they not deregulated practically everything involved in the disaster, the banks wouldn't have been able to do nearly as much damage as they did. AIG would not have been handed a license to print money, and we wouldn't have been held hostage by Wall St., demanding that we bail them out or see the country burn. Funny how they only care about moral hazard when it's not their livelihoods on the line.

Oh, and Junior didn't just get stuck holding the bag. He was very much a contributor, both in giving Wall St. anything and everything they ask for, and in racking up a shitload of debt for no good reason.

RollinThundr wrote on Oct 1, 2013, 08:58:
Instead of pissing all over the document that makes this country great perhaps we should start honoring the fucking thing.
That's just a meaningless platitude. Neither party gives a damn about what the Constitution says when they're serving their benefactors. They both have a long history of undermining and finding loopholes in parts that they find inconvenient at the time. Each one just pays somewhat more attention to certain parts that their base cares more about. Even then, that only applies as far as it gets them re-elected.

39. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 23:55 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 22:51:
HorrorScope wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 20:08:
RollinThundr wrote on Sep 29, 2013, 20:09:
Funny that even when the liberals have all 3 branches they still accomplish nothing, yet the republicans still get all the blame. Wonder why that is?

Cool story, too bad it isn't true in the sense that they actually would control all three. They don't have the house. Anything less than all 3 is gridlock and typically if it is 2 Dem - 1 Rep it's always gridlock. If it were 1 dem and 2 rep, that has proven to work much better.

To the other poster we all get both sides are a mess. File it under "lesser of two evils".

For the first two years of Obama's presidency they had both the house and senate. Still got zero done. The republicans also got the blame for that as well.
That's crap as well. They had maybe a few months of actual control due to some congresspeople not able to be present for various reasons. Oh, and having to clean up the wreck of an economy that Bush left us with. (I just threw that in since you seem to like wild over-generalization and over-simplifications when you're not just outright lying).

34. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Sep 30, 2013, 19:59 Wowbagger_TIP

RollinThundr wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 07:28:
It's also funny for all the promises Obama made during campaign mode. He's fulfilled zero of them. Oh wait he's still in campaign mode? Halfway through his 2nd term? You don't say?
You're lying.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/

Axis wrote on Sep 30, 2013, 07:53:
Yes Obama/dems stole the idea and made it into a FEDERAL monster in disguise with the purpose of single-payer -- Obama's ultimate goal. Just do s simple comparison search and you'll find many significant differences, none of which should have been implemented state-wide.
If you can't even do your own homework, why do you expect anyone to care about the crap you're spewing?

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
26. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 20:10 Wowbagger_TIP

edit: dupe  

25. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 27, 2013, 20:09 Wowbagger_TIP

Redmask wrote on Sep 27, 2013, 15:54:
I don't even want to know what happened here, do I?

I really have no idea. It was a discussion about the ACA, but it didn't seem any more heated than any other similar discussion around here, and those don't usually get blown away. I don't think there were even any personal attacks really. At least not in the ones I was responding to.

21. removed Sep 27, 2013, 09:45 Wowbagger_TIP

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 27, 2013, 10:06.

16. removed Sep 26, 2013, 16:47 Wowbagger_TIP

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 27, 2013, 10:07.

14. removed Sep 26, 2013, 15:52 Wowbagger_TIP

* REMOVED *

11. removed Sep 26, 2013, 13:54 Wowbagger_TIP

* REMOVED *

8. removed Sep 26, 2013, 12:27 Wowbagger_TIP

* REMOVED *

4. removed Sep 26, 2013, 00:46 Wowbagger_TIP

* REMOVED *

3810 Comments. 191 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo