Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
West Point, NE 02/20

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3881 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

News Comments > Op Ed
12. Re: Op Ed Mar 22, 2011, 12:59 Wowbagger_TIP

I have a 360, but it hardly gets touched other than for Last.fm. I think the last game I bought for it was GTA4, which I played for about a week before going back to PC games. I just don't enjoy console gaming nearly as much as PC gaming. When I can play a game like Oblivion with a keyboard/mouse and all the mods I care to use, then I'll consider the console a contender. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Consoles are becoming more PC-like with each generation, but they're like little gimpy PCs, hobbled by all the restraints that the creators heap on them.

I hope that research into better control schemes for consoles continues. Maybe someday they'll come up with something that can actually replace the keyboard/mouse for gaming. Still seems a long way off though.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer
25. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Walkthrough Trailer Mar 22, 2011, 00:12 Wowbagger_TIP

Lol... crate stacking, check. Air vent crawling, check. All we need is a hacking method and we've got full Deus Ex stealth repertoire. Love how she hides the body behind a fence door. Nobody will ever find it! Owell. Guess we can't expect this one to be better than the first. We're lucky if it can get the basics to be on par. I'm still wondering if they're gonna manage to get the atmosphere and characters to be as good. I doubt anything can match my nostalgic vision of DX though.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > On Sale
1. Re: On Sale Mar 19, 2011, 00:12 Wowbagger_TIP

Tempted to pick up Evochron, but not sure if the combat aspects are any good. Seems like it's in the same vein as Elite.  

News Comments > AMD Knocks DirectX
21. Re: AMD Knocks DirectX Mar 18, 2011, 15:32 Wowbagger_TIP

Coming from the "bootable floppy for cd game era",...if a dev really wanted to squeeze the most,...why not dev a game with it's own API and runtimes and make the game boot around the OS.
Probably because that would be extremely expensive compared to using a well-tested set of APIs like DX.

News Comments > Op Ed
20. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2011, 15:29 Wowbagger_TIP

But dropping out of school, getting pregnant in high school with some random guy, doing drugs, etc will lead to poverty. While doing well in school, and working hard can lead to becoming wealthy.
Unless your family is wealthy already, in which case the consequences of bad judgement are usually much, much lighter. The poor have no room for bad judgement, and even one or two bad decisions can often destroy their lives.

News Comments > Op Ed
5. Re: Op Ed Mar 18, 2011, 11:36 Wowbagger_TIP

There is something called ROTC, and the fact that recruiters are in every high school, both targeted at teenagers. I think the ACLU is just bored.

What's funny is that the Air Force JROTC program at the high school I went to for freshman year was actually called "aerospace science", and the description talked about learning about the history and mechanics of flight. Not a word about ROTC or uniforms or marching or any of that. It was a bit of a surprise to find out that it wasn't at all what it was made out to be. Bit of bait-and-switch there.

I stuck it out for that year, but didn't go back. I was actually interested in being a pilot, but was told that it wouldn't really be an option for me in the AF because I didn't have perfect vision (I wore glasses in HS).

News Comments > Monday Night Combat Free Weekend
8. Re: Monday Night Combat Free Weekend Mar 18, 2011, 00:12 Wowbagger_TIP

The announcer is pretty hilarious too. It's just an all-around fun game. Total steal at $15. I'd say pick a class and learn to play it well to start out. There are even some class-based strategy guides online. Once you figure out how best to contribute with a certain class, it becomes even more fun

Oh wow, and it's on sale on Steam right now for $10!!! That's a no-brainer must-buy!!

News Comments > Violent Game Restriction Debate
15. Re: Violent Game Restriction Debate Mar 16, 2011, 13:01 Wowbagger_TIP

Well, a quick google search shows again that violence is on the rise in America and Worldwide. I don't recall posting over the past 30 years.
If it's been going down over the past thirty years, then it certainly can't be said to be "on the rise". Post some fucking links to these "facts" you keep spewing or GTFO. You're not contributing anything worthwhile here.

News Comments > Gold - Starpoint Gemini
1. Re: Gold - Starpoint Gemini Mar 10, 2011, 22:04 Wowbagger_TIP

Cool game with some real potential, but it still needs some work.  

News Comments > EA: PC Gaming May Become Their "Biggest Platform"
57. Re: EA: PC Gaming May Become Their Mar 10, 2011, 22:01 Wowbagger_TIP

The only way they'll get me to move to a console is if they come up with a controller that can equal the precision and flexibility of the kb/mouse, and the console is not a locked-down box that I have no control over. So basically when they let me use a PC with a controller that I can sit on the couch with. I don't see that happening anytime soon.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: 2 hours gaming=line of cocaine Mar 10, 2011, 21:53 Wowbagger_TIP

From the article:
“Spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces in the brain," Pope told BBC Radio 5Live in an interview last night. “It's the silent killer of our generation.

“We're now onto second generation game station players who have always grown up with it. Computer game addiction can also spiral into violence as after playing violent games, they may turn their fantasy games into reality.

"It is the fastest growing addiction in the country and this is affecting young people mentally and physically."

There, now nobody needs to even follow the link. Of course he offers nothing to back up his statements. He doesn't mention consoles by name either, as he is on such flimsy ground he'd probably end up owing MS or Sony both kidneys and a leg.

News Comments > Hawken Announced
7. Re: Hawken Announced Mar 10, 2011, 19:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Well, it definitely got me interested. Hope the gameplay is deeper than most of the other mech games we've seen. Looks like it could be. Have to keep an eye on this one. Beautiful to look at at least.  

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Mar 8, 2011, 15:26 Wowbagger_TIP

I sometimes have to put a game down for a few weeks at a time. Especially those that tend to demand a longer playing session in order to enjoy. I can't really enjoy a game like Oblivion or Fallout 3 unless I have time to get re-immersed in it. That's the point of those games for me. If I only have half an hour a night, that's just not going to work.

So I tend to play something more casual when I have limited amounts of time. Something like Just Cause 2 or Monday Night Combat. When I come back to the bigger game, the only real problem I have is getting back into the story and remembering what I was doing and why I was doing it. Sometimes they have journals or something to help with that. But mostly it just takes a bit of time to get back into it.

I really agree with InBlack though. The games industry has already adapted to this, which is why there are so many games out there that can easily be played in small doses. They're dead simple to just pick up whenever and play. Unfortunately I tend to like deeper, more involved games. That's just something I have to deal with though.

News Comments > Technology of Dragon Age II
47. Re: Technology of Dragon Age II Mar 7, 2011, 00:51 Wowbagger_TIP

Somehow I doubt we'll see those sorts of choices and consequences in DA2. It's sad. I wonder if any other developer will step up and create the next worthy Baldur's Gate successor.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
13. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 7, 2011, 00:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on Mar 6, 2011, 22:08:
Guys, these changes are all for the better. I mean, really, who wants to worry about skills anyway? It's hard enough figuring out the difference between attributes and talents. Hell, I was hoping they'd remove attributes as well. All those numbers are confusing and detract from the visceral and cinematic flow of the game! And thank goodness for the dialogue wheel. This is a videogame. If I want to read full sentences, I'll stick with books thank you very much. The tone icons make the dialogue much more visceral and cinematic. And I'm glad they're making the combat more visceral and cinematic. Having to manage my party and use tactics was boring and tedious. This isn't a strategy game. Now I can just press a button and something awesome happens! Oh, and the new influence system is so much better. It was lame when my companions got pissed off at me in DAO and wouldn't tell me about their backstory or ask me to help them with their quests and stuff. I mean, come on, how is that visceral or cinematic? This is an RPG! I should be able to do everything and everyone should help me even if I represent the antithesis of their beliefs and principles.

DA2 gets rid of all the outdated and silly things that made DAO suck. DAO felt like something from the 90's and it's time to move on to something more visceral and cinematic where awesome stuff happens whenever you push a button on your gamepad.

Thumbsup

News Comments > On Loot Drop
24. Re: On Loot Drop Mar 3, 2011, 21:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2011, 18:12:
That's a lot of hate there.

Doom was a masterpiece, and Romero largely crafted it. Doom wouldn't have been nearly as popular without the atmosphere. It went beyond technology.

And, despite id not releasing a decent game in over 10 years, I'd still take them over Raven's games using their engine.
That was almost 20 years ago. What's he done since then? While Doom was a great game for the time, that was still largely due to the technology and the fact that the entire concept was still new. He doesn't seem to have evolved with gaming.

News Comments > Quote of the Day
26. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 2, 2011, 21:40 Wowbagger_TIP

Some people just collect games to collect games. I have boxes upon boxes of games I will probably never play from years past. I'm sure there are plenty of pirates who do the same thing except they were smart enough not to waste their money.
That's actually a pretty big part of the whole piracy scene. Digital packrats are rampant. They collect anything and everything, books, comics, magazines, movies, games, music, whatever. Shit they will never read, watch, or listen to. They download it because it's there. Because they feel that at some point in the future they might want it and they might not be able to get it for some reason. But it's available now, right there for download, so they get it. It will end up sitting on a hard drive until it dies, or burned to some disc that will never see the light of day again. At least if you're just a digital hoarder, you're not as likely to drown in a pile of filth in your apartment.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
53. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Mar 2, 2011, 21:36 Wowbagger_TIP

Shataan wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 20:00:
I agree that humans are greedy. But the real power lies with those who have the power to exploit these tendencies. So??? Don`t blame the individual. Blame the power players. Those who exploit. I blame Battlefield 3!!!! So wtf are they gonna exploit me, and release the demo?????
So you're saying that the problem isn't the greedy people, it's the other greedy people? Wow.

News Comments > Battlefield 3 Trailer
42. Re: Battlefield 3 Trailer Mar 2, 2011, 17:15 Wowbagger_TIP

Hump wrote on Mar 2, 2011, 16:44:
New Ghost Recon....nice
Lol... that's exactly what I thought while I was watching it... looks and sounds really nice... hope it doesn't suck

News Comments > Quote of the Day
13. Re: Quote of the Day Mar 2, 2011, 13:50 Wowbagger_TIP

I wonder if someone made MyCraft, an exact replica of MineCraft, and distributed it for $1 if he'd be as ok with it.
I heard they're actually calling it "World of Blockcraft" internally. I'm gonna sign up for the beta!

3881 Comments. 195 pages. Viewing page 65.
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo