Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3818 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

News Comments > On PC Dragon Age II
19. Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 14:53 Wowbagger_TIP

Steele Johnson wrote on Feb 9, 2011, 14:38:
For every pc-only gamer who refuses to buy games like this, there's probably 20 new consoles gamers who will. lol
Fine. Hopefully we'll get some more indie developers to create real RPGs for the PC again. I don't need something with a huge budget. It could have the graphics of something like Magicka for all I care. The important thing is to get the gameplay right.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On PC Dragon Age II
18. Re: On PC Dragon Age II Feb 9, 2011, 14:51 Wowbagger_TIP

For what it's worth, Giantbomb has a quick look of the game. http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-road-show-dragon-age-ii/17-3772/
Good video. The combat looked lame, but he was playing on the easiest skill level, so it's hard to tell anything from that. I hate the lack of a tactical view though.

I noticed that there don't appear to be any non-combat skills (Persuasion, Lockpicking, Pickpocketing, Poison-making, Trap-making, etc) when he browses the stats menus. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they were removed.
Yeah, didn't see anything like that. Did notice that the Cunning attribute says it contributes to a Rogue's lockpick or trap disarm ability. I assume there must be some way to look at the level of that ability somewhere. I could be wrong though.

Love how the guy says they removed the "fiddly bits", like positioning your party. Now you just hit the button and stuff dies! Sigh

He does say that there will be banter while running around. That doesn't seem to jive with the other info we've heard up to now. I like that it gives you dialog options for party members, but I'm not sure if this stuff will be as extensive as it was in DAO.

He says there will be later consequences for decisions as well. That's a good thing, but will ultimately come down to how many of your choices actually have consequences, and how well they implement those consequences.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Op Ed
43. Re: Dickwolves Feb 9, 2011, 01:30 Wowbagger_TIP

For you little fucking morons around here that think this is simply a free speech issue you need to repeatedly bash your head into a wall untill some sense gets knocked into it. God forbid anyone you know ever gets raped but if their comes a day it happens you'll be singing a very different tune. Show some goddamned respect for the victims out their you dumb fucks.
Right. Rape should never be mentioned in any context outside of a Lifetime movie. Cutter says he'll kick your teeth in otherwise. Hope he doesn't go to prison for that. Sorry, but people don't have a right to not be offended. If we did, most everyone on TV would be yanked off the air.

News Comments > Volition Would Kill to Make FreeSpace 3
18. Re: Volition Would Feb 8, 2011, 22:59 Wowbagger_TIP

Hey! My friend was murdered! What an asshole for making a joke like that! I'm calling for a boycott of Volition games and Jim Boone should personally apologize to anyone who knows anyone who was murdered! What an asshole!  

News Comments > Op Ed
29. Re: Dickwolves Feb 8, 2011, 18:30 Wowbagger_TIP

Beamer wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 18:11:
The problem isn't that the first comic was triggering, as I don't think it was particularly offensive and I don't think you can necessarily foresee any mention of the word as triggering, but the response pretty much made a joke of rape victims.
No, the response made a joke of people who tried to turn some passing mention of rape into a major offense that required apologies from PA and the removal of the strip. There's a difference.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 8, 2011, 17:30 Wowbagger_TIP

You'd think that teaching evolution and other important aspects of science would be a major goal of schools these days. The biomedical industry is one of the bigger growth industries out there. You'd think we'd want to prepare our kids for the jobs of the future.

Instead we have schools that are afraid to teach science because they might piss off people who still believe in some mythology or other and can't figure out how to separate that from the real-world where we see this stuff working every day to help extend our lives and improve our standard of living.

News Comments > Op Ed
24. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2011, 17:07 Wowbagger_TIP

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 16:32:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:28:
Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:23:
I can't decide whether PA's numbers were down and they decided to make a controversy to cash in, or they just got too big for their britches and started liking the smell of their own farts.

Either way their handling of the dickwolf thing was unprofessional and remains so. Penny Arcade ain't Penn and Teller - not even close.

Huh? What are you even talking about? Unprofessional? They do a fucking web comic, about video game culture! What exactly should they have done?

Any number of things?

Ignore the furor and let it die down quietly?

Make a quick apology and move on?

Pull the strip like they've done in the past?

That's just off the top of my head. There are so many ways they could have come out ahead on this.

Think a little.
Apologize for what? They didn't do anything wrong in that strip. People get offended by all sorts of things, but that doesn't mean they're owed an apology for it. There's no reason to pull that strip. Ignoring it is an option, but the complaint was rather ridiculous to begin with. The mere mention of rape in any context, even that of a fantasy world of mythological creatures that have no basis in reality is enough to set someone off?

I'm thinking they should be avoiding video games, TV, movies, books, the Internet, and certainly PAX as well. Even then I'm not sure that they would be safe from triggers. They might see a dog humping another dog in the park or something. That might make them think of the dickwolves. I'm sorry that horrible things happen to people. I'm sure most people are. I don't see a need to sanitize the world for them though. Should we also ban mention of violence in deference to those who have experienced assaults or war? Where does it end?

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2011, 15:29 Wowbagger_TIP

elefunk wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 15:19:
Good writeup of the whole "dickwolf" thing here. Very few people are actually upset with the cartoon. It's all about the response that followed it and how douchey people were being douches.
WTF are people who are so easily offended doing reading PA in the first place? It's like they're looking for something to be offended by. Gabe had a good point about the people who wrote in to protest the comic. How in the hell is that the first PA comic to offend them? It's just incomprehensible. The author of that article you linked says he (I think it's a he anyway) avoids comedians, comedies, etc., but somehow was a fan of PA. Ok, I don't get it.

edit: Also, they are apparently no longer selling the t-shirt from the PA store.

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 15:35.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2011, 14:28 Wowbagger_TIP

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 8, 2011, 14:23:
I can't decide whether PA's numbers were down and they decided to make a controversy to cash in, or they just got too big for their britches and started liking the smell of their own farts.

Either way their handling of the dickwolf thing was unprofessional and remains so. Penny Arcade ain't Penn and Teller - not even close.

Huh? What are you even talking about? Unprofessional? They do a fucking web comic, about video game culture! What exactly should they have done?

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed Feb 8, 2011, 10:36 Wowbagger_TIP

Maybe I'm siding with the dickwolves, but I just can't really believe that the world should be sanitized for the comfort of the most fragile among us. I think the world is a tough place, and you just have to learn to deal, even if you've had horrible experiences in the past. I really hope these folks don't watch TV, or read books, or surf the net. If a Dickwolves t-shirt is a trigger, I find it hard to understand how they can possibly go through a single day without running into several more.

edit: Didn't hear about the death threats. That's just fucked up, as were the calls to sexually assault that chick for wanting the shirts banned. WTF are people thinking?

This comment was edited on Feb 8, 2011, 10:42.

News Comments > Magicka Patched
3. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 7, 2011, 21:36 Wowbagger_TIP

The problem with the checkpoints is that if you exit the game, you have to start the entire level over, rather than just picking back up at the last checkpoint. They need to persist the checkpoints as an actual save file.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 7, 2011, 13:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Creston wrote on Feb 7, 2011, 11:58:

315 million dollars for a group of whiny left-wing bloggers? Where does AOL keep finding all this money?

Creston
According to those whiny left-wing bloggers, it's mostly from very confused old people.

News Comments > New CrimeCraft Episode Tonight
6. Re: New CrimeCraft Episode Tonight Feb 6, 2011, 02:30 Wowbagger_TIP

No kidding. rmb for run? WTF?  

3. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 5, 2011, 01:34 Wowbagger_TIP

Yeah, I thought about that too, but I haven't noticed any new issues cropping up.  

News Comments > Dead Money and More Fallout: New Vegas PC DLC Plans
17. Re: Dead Money and More Fallout: New Vegas PC DLC Plans Feb 5, 2011, 00:07 Wowbagger_TIP

StingingVelvet wrote on Feb 4, 2011, 15:48:
I have the "Knights of the Nine" disc for Oblivion with all the little DLCs on it but the only ones I use are Knights of the Nine itself and Mehrune's Razor. All the little house DLCs and shit are pointless and stupid.

Fallout 3 had DLC that was more along the lines of "mini-expansions" rather than little house mods and shit, and was much better for it.

If you want to get some actual use out of the lame ass house mods that Bethesda created, you should download some of the mods that actually make them into awesome dwellings rather than boring empty places. I was using Frostcrag Revisited and it made a HUGE difference.

1. Re: Magicka Patched Feb 4, 2011, 20:13 Wowbagger_TIP

If nothing else, they're certainly fixing things pretty quickly.  

News Comments > Morning Previews
1. Re: Morning Previews Feb 4, 2011, 12:39 Wowbagger_TIP

Nice Deus Ex preview. Really looking forward to it.  

News Comments > Crysis 2 Trailer
7. Re: Crysis 2 Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 21:29 Wowbagger_TIP

I just hope this game is more like the first half of Crysis rather than the second half or Warhead. I like the more open feel and being able to approach areas the way I want rather than following the pre-defined path from one group of enemies to the next.  

News Comments > Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer
12. Re: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Trailer Feb 3, 2011, 17:44 Wowbagger_TIP

Well, I can't tell much from the approximately 2 seconds of gameplay footage there. The cutscenes look nice though. I hope they don't fuck this up.  

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Feb 3, 2011, 15:16 Wowbagger_TIP

Elf Shot The Food wrote on Feb 3, 2011, 13:57:
Christ Centered Gamer's reviews are generally quite good.
I may have to start reading them if they all contain such delicious irony. If they happen to be fairly accurate on the game itself, all the better!

3818 Comments. 191 pages. Viewing page 65.
< Newer [ 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo