Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Arthur Dent

Real Name Arthur Dent   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Wowbagger_TIP
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 3, 2001, 22:20
Total Comments 3840 (Veteran)
User ID 9540

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Titanfall Deluxe Edition Released
6. Re: Titanfall Deluxe Edition Released Nov 20, 2014, 00:47 Wowbagger_TIP

I wonder if they'll get the message about the game's failings and produce a sequel (or some sort of follow-on) that will get these things right.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
9. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 19, 2014, 13:20 Wowbagger_TIP

Seems to me that Uber is essentially a largely unregulated taxi service. So, cities should either deregulate other taxi companies, or explain clearly why such regulations are necessary, and that they should apply to all taxi services, regardless of what they call themselves.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 17, 2014, 20:31 Wowbagger_TIP

xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 08:54:
Creston wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:51:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Nov 16, 2014, 18:12:
I don't think any of you would do it, but watch Steam messages that say "hay bro did you see this" and send you a fake link that looks like a screenshot.

Word is it will steal all of your stuff.

REMOVED IT SO IT DOESN'T LINK (prtn-screenshot.com/lolsmem.png)

That's a funky little script that Steam allows to run. Thanks for the heads up!

Got another one that is a lot better disguised, starts with "hay is that you in this pic?".

Be careful guys.

It's times like these that I can be thankful that I'm a social hermit when it comes to gaming

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 17, 2014, 14:59 Wowbagger_TIP

WaltC wrote on Nov 17, 2014, 14:22:
The Internet, however, is much different from a national long-distance phone service--the Internet is a bunch of decentralized servers all over the world. The ISPs don't own the servers, either. So, a slow/down server before "net neutrality" is still going to be a slow/down server after net neutrality...;) Most people who talk about this issue don't know that, though. They think that net neutrality is going to bring them, personally, a big bunch of goodies and benefits that they don't have now, and that's exactly why they support this thing they call "net neutrality," even though they don't know what it will *really* bring: taxes, lawyers and lawsuits, and ever-degrading service.

Many of these people are too young to remember how bad the old AT&T government-protected monopoly got--just how bad things got and how long they stayed bad before the government finally said "Uncle! OK, we admit we screwed it up and so we're going to deregulate." I for one sincerely hope the Internet is spared the fate of being run by politicians, *shudder*. If that happens you won't have to be satisfied with stories and homilies about "killing the goose that laid the golden egg"--you'll get a ringside seat!

What nonsense is this? None of this has anything to do with down/slow servers or free stuff, and I don't know of anyone who thinks it does, aside from you apparently. Maybe back this garbage up with something, so at least I'll have some idea how deep the crap is before I wade in.

This comment was edited on Nov 17, 2014, 20:20.

News Comments > Defenders of Time Demo
2. Re: Defenders of Time Demo Nov 15, 2014, 01:06 Wowbagger_TIP

Cutter wrote on Nov 14, 2014, 20:07:
If I could turn back time....
If that gets stuck in my head tonight, I WILL come back here and kill you.

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
16. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 13, 2014, 09:51 Wowbagger_TIP

shihonage wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 03:37:
Liberalism was not always a mental disorder. Old-school liberals provided a much needed balance,a humane counter to worker abuse, greedy corporations, and to bible-thumping cults. Sexual liberation, and all that.

That time is long over. Modern liberals are Statists who have been defending a totalitarian President. Demagogues who prey on emotion and race to sway low-information voter.

The country has finally woken up. Thus, their asses have been kicked during the 2014 elections, and in 2016 elections, the other shoe is going to drop.

Modern conservatism is not about bible thumping. It's become about fact and reason, the ability to do math and act rationally in the interests of this country and its allies in the world. A candidate that stops dropping Jesus into every sentence, and shows themselves to be resolute, informed, sober, experienced, and optimistic, is going to win.

We're going to have a conservative President. And one day, your children will be thankful for this.

Shocked

Rotfl

You forgot to add a /s on that post. I almost thought you were serious for a second there.

9. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 13, 2014, 00:41 Wowbagger_TIP

HorrorScope wrote on Nov 13, 2014, 00:28:
Cutter wrote on Nov 12, 2014, 22:51:
And you guys just let the GOP take over congress yet again. Six years of digging you out of the shit you they put you in the first place and now you're right back in it. You guys are so screwed.
Toff

What happens is they played the only card they had, we have one branch and shit we can't agree on things to make things look functional, otherwise they'll just keep voting the same way.

So they gridlocked the system to the point the bottom line is "who's president is responsible", so time and beat-down wins again.

Like this we know this is going to fail "net-neutral", it's about time and beat-down. When we are finally tired of talking about it, then it will happen, in the meantime it will stay in a hold state. It is holding until we tire.

Well, that, and the fact that the Democrats refused to back anything the President has done, or take credit for the recovery we've had, along with pointing out that the recovery could have been better had the Republicans not blocked damn near everything they tried to do.

Of course they might have to fess up to being idiots for trying to do anything in a bipartisan manner for the short period when they actually had control, like passing a stimulus bill that was 1/3 of what the economists were saying was needed. So no wonder the recovery has been slow. It was just unbelievably stupid of them to try to create a bill that would get Republican votes, when the Republican leadership was on record saying they were going to do everything possible to ensure that the President's term is a failure.

How stupid do you have to be to try to work with people like that? I understand they had to compromise with some in their own party, since Dems cover a much wider political spectrum than Republicans do, but 2009 was a time they needed to get their shit together and get something done for the country and they failed to do it.

I think our electoral system sucks, and I hate having to vote for Democrats, but the fact is we don't really get much of a choice, and that's the way they like it. I vote for the ones I think will do the least damage, even if I don't really like them and think they're opportunistic cowards.

5. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 12, 2014, 22:08 Wowbagger_TIP

AT&T threatening to "pause" a buildout that they really haven't done much of anything on, isn't much of a threat. Aside from cities where Google Fiber is competing, they haven't been doing much at all.

They're full of shit.

And of course Verizon halted their fiber efforts a long time ago. I don't see NN having anything at all to do with either.

62. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 11, 2014, 20:42 Wowbagger_TIP

This discussion sure went off into the weeds. Regardless of LittleMe's dislike for (aka burning hatred of) government, this is one of those areas where we have what is essentially a natural monopoly, evidenced by the fact that you don't see cable companies competing with each other just about anywhere. Even Comcast and Time Warner have admitted this. They stay out of each other's areas.

While I'm all in favor of competition at all levels, especially the last mile, we're not going to get that today. In the meantime though, we need to prevent the egregious abuses that come from having these huge corporations with a lock on their customer base. We already saw Comcast screw over Netflix. We need to put a stop to that crap now before it gets worse.

Treating them as an essential communications service, disallowing any preferential treatment of the data, is exactly what is needed. I just don't have much faith in the FCC actually doing that, given Democrats' and Wheeler's ties with the industry.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P)
8. Re: Just Cause 3 Announced (Not F2P) Nov 11, 2014, 20:13 Wowbagger_TIP

Quboid wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 20:06:
I hate that it's come to this but:
"It is not a Free To Play game. It does not feature in-game micro transactions."

Thank you!

That screenshot a few days ago had me worried because the "Buy More" button appeared to refer to buying currency. I'm glad this won't be the case.

Just Cause 2 wasn't quite as good as Far Cry 3 IMHO, but it did many of the same things first and surpassed FC3 in some ways.

I just want grappling hook + parachute and a new world to destroy with prettier graphics Anything beyond that is gravy!

34. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 11, 2014, 02:05 Wowbagger_TIP

LittleMe wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 01:35:
Nothing there about congress. It does look like a decree do me, and an unlawful one at that. I think especially since that the Internet is so proving so key to nearly everyone's hour-to-hour modern lifestyle that the FCC, on it's own decision, could effectively take it over is scary. I find that notion repugnant. And yes you've not seen any written regulation or law so presume the worst. They could really harm the Internet with Verizon, Comcast, etc writing nearly whatever they want in there as a "compromise".
Take it over? What are you even talking about? Do you have even the foggiest idea what Title I and II are?

26. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 11, 2014, 01:20 Wowbagger_TIP

shihonage wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 23:46:
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 22:31:
About the only thing I can say about Ted Cruz is what an idiot. His views only represent a tiny minority in this country.

Yeah dude, totally, that's why we just had Democrats' assed kicked in the election.

Oh wai-

As for net neutrality, I'm pretty sure it's a good idea in theory.

However I wouldn't trust a an incompetent egomaniac like Obama to implement it properly without jumping on the opportunity to over-regulate.

He's a thin-skinned child with a recently bruised ego who will jump onto any opportunity to unsully his name, and after these elections he's only going to get more unhinged.

In Obama's hands, any regulation can in fact become the same disaster as Obamacare.

Do you think Obama is gonna be shuffling packets around himself or something? You've obviously got a touch of the ODS going on, but maybe step back a bit and educate yourself on the topic before deciding that it must be a terrible thing.

22. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 11, 2014, 01:03 Wowbagger_TIP

TangledThorns wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 00:45:
The Oatmeal cartoonist must be pissed about last week's election to post that kind of garbage. That being said he has no clue on how the Internet is run as not all data is the same. The key words he is missing is 'paid peering.' Content providers like Netflix is taking up a lot of bandwidth and its costing ISPs a lot of money to keep up so Netflix should pay. Also, the Oatmeal claims Comcast is Cruz's buddies but in reality they're very close pals of Obama and the Democrats, see MSNBC.

All that data that Netflix is "taking up"? That's data requested by Comcast. They sell their customers a certain amount of bandwidth. Then they balk at providing the interconnects necessary to deliver it and want to charge at the other end as well. Netflix was delivering the data to Comcast's door, but Comcast doesn't want to provide a door big enough to fit the data that their customers are requesting through it. They want to make Netflix pay for that too. This kind of stuff shouldn't be allowed to happen.

19. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 11, 2014, 00:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 00:26:
I can see this issue eventually making its way to the Supreme Court. In the event that it did, would the Supreme Court ruling be the final word on the matter? While I do understand how government works I have to admit I too get confused when it comes to independent agencies like the EPA, the FDA, and FCC.

Verizon is going to sue no matter what happens.

It's what they do.

17. Re: tougher Internet regulation. Nov 11, 2014, 00:44 Wowbagger_TIP

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Nov 11, 2014, 00:22:
LittleMe wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 20:37:
But last January, a federal appeals court struck down the regulation because the court said the FCC didn't technically have the legal authority to tell broadband providers how to manage their networks.

The proper way to go about this sort of thing would be to pass a law. I saw no such language in the article. So it appears the pres doesn't care about the rule of law but his supposed authority over the FCC to enforce a 'rule' already found to be not within their lawful authority. This is how kings operate.

The government can only do so much here. This is where a free-er market would give consumers what they want - Internet access without being under the thumb of government-sanctioned monopolistic internet providers. Obama just loves to be the center of attention here as usual. It's superficial flair with no substance.

There is a law -- the Telecommunications Act -- and it is the whole basis of the current state of the Net Neutrality discussion. You don't seem to understand the difference between legislation and public administration. Law cannot, does not, and will not ever, describe every detail, with precision, of how the government does its job; this is the difference between law and administrative rules, a difference which should be civics 101. The Congress writes laws, but the Executive branch determines how to "execute" and administer those laws. For example, the Congress passes the Clean Water Act, a law mandating improvement in water quality and authorizing the EPA to administer those mandates; the EPA, in turn, studies the requirements, brings their own expertise to bear, determines the exact regulatory rules necessary to implement those legislative mandates, determines the details of how to enforce those rules, and establishes metrics to measure how well the new regulatory regime is actually achieving the goals set down in law by Congress. Again, this is Civics 101. In the case of Net Neutrality, the FCC has the authority to classify broadband Internet as a Title II Public Utility under the Telecommunications Act. As a regulatory body responsible for the actual implementation of said law, the FCC has administrative discretion on whether or not broadband Internet should be so classified, and whether or not the rule making authority granted by such a classification should be used to write rules which enforce Net Neutrality. The President, who is the head of the Executive Branch, of which the FCC is a part, has come out in favor of classification of broadband Internet as a public utility subject to Title II regulatory authority. This is how government is supposed to work. It's called separation of powers. The Executive branch makes the administrative decisions which actually implement laws, and whether or not broadband Internet is a Title II utility or an information service is one such administrative decision. If Congress determined the precise details of how to run government, government would cease to function because a deliberative body is completely ill suited to solving administrative problems; imagine if the management at your company took a company wide vote on any decision no matter how minute.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at your ignorance of 8th grade Civics, given your complete ignorance of how the Internet developed and how Net Neutrality does and does not relate to government regulation and the free market, but I guess I'm just galled that someone who is always first to pipe up on political topics doesn't seem to know much about government.

Love Kiss

Was about to deliver some of the same info. Glad I read down first, since you explained it more thoroughly and with fewer expletives than I would have

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 10, 2014, 09:33 Wowbagger_TIP

Alamar wrote on Nov 10, 2014, 01:29:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 9, 2014, 23:39:
I'm thinking about picking up CoD, but I think I'm going to wait for a sale. Don't really want to pay full price for it. Maybe 20-30% off would be ok. Same with Mordor really.

But everything is nearly always 20% off on GMG...
I seem to always miss the codes for GMG when they get posted. I can wait for the Holiday sale. I'm still finishing up Wolfenstein right now, and have Transistor and a couple other things on deck.

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Nov 9, 2014, 23:39 Wowbagger_TIP

I'm thinking about picking up CoD, but I think I'm going to wait for a sale. Don't really want to pay full price for it. Maybe 20-30% off would be ok. Same with Mordor really.  

News Comments > Blizzard Announces Overwatch
63. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 9, 2014, 01:48 Wowbagger_TIP

Osc8r wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 17:49:
Even the trailer looked unbalanced. Oh look, i stealthed into a group of players and clicked one button and killed 5 players.

Sounds like a MMO trying to be a FPS.

Yay?

Like FPS's need to be more accessible or dumbed down. But hey, thats blizzards specialty!

No idea how easy or likely that is to happen. I'm sure the spy would look seriously OP if you didn't have the context to understand how to counter them in TF2. We don't have nearly enough info to determine much of anything about the balance in this game. Seems silly to rip on it before at least seeing some actual matches played.

Besides, there are more than enough non-stylized or pseudo-realistic shooters out there already. A lot more of those than there are of this sort of game anyway.

59. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 8, 2014, 15:39 Wowbagger_TIP

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Nov 8, 2014, 09:11:
It's TF2.5 with Pixar style cinematics. It's not even close to as innovative as TF2 was for its time.

Have we even seen nearly enough to know whether it is innovative or not? Really, how innovative was TF2? It was just a well-polished and pretty well-balanced team shooter with a fun art style. This one looks to be much the same in the visuals and gameplay concept, but beyond it being a team shooter with more classes than TF2, we don't know much. Definitely a wait and see thing, but it looks promising.

54. Re: Blizzard Announces Overwatch Nov 8, 2014, 00:57 Wowbagger_TIP

I'll give this a try. Looks pretty TF2-ish, but I liked TF2, so that's not really a bad thing. Not sure what some people have against stylized characters. They seem like they'll be pretty interesting and fun to play.

I like the verticality of the game, which is something we didn't get enough of in TF2. The grappling hooks and other abilities should add a lot of variety to the gameplay. I haven't been much into MP shooters for a while, so I'll probably get my ass handed to me, but hopefully it'll be fun anyway

Just hope they don't make a mess of this one the way they did with D3!

This comment was edited on Nov 8, 2014, 01:06.

3840 Comments. 192 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo