Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam 3 Cometh
173. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2005, 04:43 VoodooV

I hope you don't apply this thinking to life: you'll never be 100% successful, so don't even bother.

you're comparing life to fighting or not fighting piracy? no seriously, are you? cuz thats a stretch

I can see why someone would think calling Steam a slippery slope is an overreacting 'doom and gloom' statement. But ask yourself, why is there copy protection in the first place? So that pirates can't make illegal copies that threaten profitability. OK fine, but first you have to buy into the business's 'doom and gloom' argument of their own where they convince you of hypothetical situation where no one can make any money and businesses go bankrupt and people lose their livelyhood if everyone pirates stuff. That is the great myth if you ask me. There is always going to be someone to make something, there will always be someone to buy it, and there will always be someone to steal it. Show me a case where someone made something and not one person bought it cuz everyone pirated it instead It's a ridiculous scenario. But that is exactly what the copy protection pundits would have you believe.

I would even go as far as to argue that businesses profit more from piracy than they are hurt from it. If someone makes an illegal copy of something and gets caught..the business gets compensated for it right? they aren't recovering lost profits cuz nothing was actually stolen (stealing and copy infringement are NOT the same thing!)...they're profiting from the pirate's illegal actions, Which in my opinion, is wrong. Yes, if someone physically takes something, the business deserves to be compensated. But if someone merely copies something illegally, yes throw the pirate in jail, but the company should not be compensated.

bottom line is that clearly, the only one who gets the shaft because of copy protection is the legitimate user. So common sense says copy protection is not the answer. Copy Protection is a business by itself now, so by definition, someone is legitimately making money because of someone's illegal actions. So eliminating piracy really isn't in the business's best interest in the long run.

The system is broke

I agree completely with your last part about twisting the English language. They would have you believe that stealing and copy infringement are synonymous in order to fit their inflammatory needs.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

170. Re: No subject Oct 14, 2005, 01:41 VoodooV

I have a problem with the slippery slope argument, all it does is give justifcation for panic and despair prematurely. We're talking about software here, if people are really pissed, and the slope does go downhill, public outrage will make it go back up.

thats why its done over time, so people aren't outraged.

20 years ago, copy protection was a rarity, and it amounted to nothing more just checking pages in your game manual for key phrases or a silly cardboard dial with runes on it. now we have cd-keys and activation and more and more ridiculous methods. You're wishing for those simpler days right now, arent you. Too late!

tell me, are we really better off? has piracy been significantly hampered at all during all this time with these idiotic anti-piracy schemes....or is there some video game equivalent of Dick Cheney telling you that software pirates are in the last throes of their cracking insurgency?

we're already on the slope

PS and damnit, Riley won't draw your ire if you'd start ignoring him for christs sake! No wonder steam is a success, gamers are so easy to bait! See the pretty graphics? you like the pretty graphics dont you?

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 01:45.

166. No subject Oct 13, 2005, 19:10 VoodooV

and to be honest with you...the very brief time I had Steam on my computer...aside from insanely slow download times, and I don't think news worked for me half the time...steam never gave me much problem. I despise programs that try to run in the background and like to assume that they always need to be on. I don't think of gaming as a service. I think of it as a program that I run in order to play...and turn off when not playing...period.

I just dislike it in principle. were steam merely content delivery, or if you could strip off the parts you didn't want, I would have little or no issue with it.

I also dislike the double standard attached to it..as someone else said, if MS were to pull this, you know it would not be tolerated and rioting would occur. but:

1. it was bundled with HL2, so it could have ten times more problems than it did and the HL fanboys would still love it.

2. Steam sparked the whole Valve/Vivendi debacle, so naturally the average gamer will side with whatever Valve does cuz they're portrayed as the Rebellion and Vivendi as the evil empire.

love it or hate it, Steam was marketed brilliantly. you sell steam on its merits alone..and no one goes along with it. but you bundle it with a must-have game (still wasn't impressed with the demo, but meh, I accept that others like it) and put it at the center of a battle percieved as good vs evil and you have yourself a win.

problem is...too many people consider steam synonymous with digital delievery...but that's just not accurate. I have no problem with DD...its definitely something that will get bigger in the future, but there will always be a desire for professionally made physical media. Steam is too much of an 'all your eggs in one basket' approach that doesn't appeal to me.

Like someone else has mentioned. I think steam is a slippery slope, and if you accept it. warts and all without protest. things will get worse over time. companies need to conform to our wishes...voting with your wallet isn't the best way to look at it either, cuz too many people buy stuff without knowing what they're actually getting, so sales shouldn't really be interpreted as approval/votes of support

problem is, the only people with majority of the voice are from the 100% hate it or 100% love it camp. neither give an rational view usually.

163. Re: Lotta posts... Oct 13, 2005, 17:27 VoodooV

the opposite is true as well you know:

Me- "I hate my piece of shit car, it's slow and breaks down all the time. And I think this weird OnStar thingy is tracking where I'm going and taking naked pictures of my wife and posting them on the internet.

You-"Well it works fine for me, so the problem must be you."

Me- "Well, I just don't think it needs to do all that stuff"

You-"We'll you're refusing to accept change and unable to see the big picture you anachronistic piece of shit!"

FYI: don't take the Me/you thing literally, just hoping to voice a slightly more rational anti-steam arguement
This comment was edited on Oct 13, 17:32.

143. No subject Oct 13, 2005, 03:26 VoodooV

again I must bash both sides of this pathetic gay pillow fight.

one side trolls, the other side feeds the troll.

It's a Special Olympics extravaganza here tonight folks!

News Comments > More CA Gaming Law Reactions
3. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2005, 03:41 VoodooV

I think its stupid and heavy handed and there are many other more important issues to deal with

but at the same time, I don't have a problem with it, it still doesn't prevent parents from buying the games for their kids, so clever kids with idiot parents will still get around it, or parents who know their kids can handle it still are unhindered.

I agree, I wish stores would just enforce the existing ratings system, this legislation is unnecessary. instead of punishing the kid that got the game, society feels the need to punish the store, their employees, and the makers of the game. everyone except the kid who shouldn't have the game in the first place. The parents that are responsible for the kid never get punished either. But even if it is a heavy handed law, if it finally gets people to take the ratings seriously when it comes to minors...then fine.

but hey, I'm biased, I don't live in CA, so it doesn't affect me, and I didn't get into PC gaming till college, so i've never had anything but unrestricted access to any game i've ever wanted so I simply cannot sympathize. that and the idiot crusade against violent games wasn't a major issue back in the early 90s

so in summary, their reasoning is fucked up, but if it does get games out of the hands of kids whose parents don't want them to have that stuff, then fine.

News Comments > Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter Delayed
10. No subject Oct 8, 2005, 11:02 VoodooV

yeah that PR line was way too thick with bullshit.

they screw up and miss their deadline...now they're HAPPY to announce??

jesus christ. seriously, who the fuck tells these companies to say shit like that cuz they need to be fired..cuz if us gamers are supposed to be the audience...corporate marketing doublespeak is NOT the way to go.

seriously, how fucking hard is it to just say 'coming soon' and not say anything until the product is actually done? I fucking loved it when nVidia used to do that. you'd never hear any hype from them....then one day...bam, they've got brand new cutting edge graphics cards ready for you to buy NOW....that was the best, no hype, just products that kicked ass.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. No subject Oct 8, 2005, 01:36 VoodooV

All I can say is that I hope people aren't just talking out of their asses when they say that the core system is a waste and everyone buys the premium. I want those core systems collecting dust on the retailers shelves damnit!

but if allard's PR fluff piece is any indication, he'll just make another statement claiming that that was the plan along and gush over how they are so in tune with gamers.

I would trust companies so much more if they actually had the humanity to admit that they misjudged something or that they fucked up.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. No subject Oct 7, 2005, 14:58 VoodooV

So that seems like a win for developers--I'm not sure who's supposed to be disappointed."

god he sounds like an absolute tool when he says shit like that. he acts as he's just now hearing that people are disappointed in the dual SKU approach...jesus christ, does he use the internet at all? you read any thread concerning the 360 and you'll find someone bitching about the lack of HD

I hate it when consumers are disappointed in something, and the companies counter by telling us what we want, as if they know the jedi mind trick or something.

what? you wanted a HD in all configurations? wtf? no you don't you want what we want.

here he sounds like he time warped back into junior high:

He also added, "A lot of people have said: 'This is really confusing--you have different configurations and blah, blah, blah', and I'm like:

News Comments > CoV/CoH Pricing
14. No subject Oct 6, 2005, 18:00 VoodooV

yeah, I loved CoH, but now I'm feeling the level grind more and more now that I'm almost lvl 30

level grind = no fun, so its only a matter of time before I eventually cancel. no CoV for me.

News Comments > Best Buy's Pre-pwned Program
27. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2005, 12:59 VoodooV

don't pawn it off as if its somehow my fault that I buy a DVD that comes with some idiotic trinket attached.

I just want the movie, some overpaid marketing nitwit said, "hey, if we add this headband to our dvd, more people will buy our stuff"

they added that, not me. they keep adding and adding crap that consumers don't really want or need, then we complain when something costs too much....obviously something needs to go. I say all the marketing fluff and needless shit.

And why..why do they need to display THAT many copies at any one given time with those ridiculous stands. BB paid some kid money to move stuff from the back to the shelves...when it actually APPEARS that shelves might be getting bare, make that kid earn his money and go get some more!

I mean shit, sam's club and other bulk grocery stores have proven that consumers don't mind shopping in a place that looks like a warehouse where you need a forklift to get at something. take advantage of that.

Its just ludicrious to believe people will stop buying shit if they don't scale it back a bit. might even save a fuckton of money too. of course they'll pocket it, not give it back to the consumer.

there is just so much ridiculous excess when it comes to retail and marketing. trim the fat!

News Comments > Best Buy's Pre-pwned Program
20. No subject Oct 1, 2005, 11:23 VoodooV

my opinion is that they just need to reform marketing strategy. marketing is such a huge cost and supposed reason for why games cost as much as they do.

like someone said, BB often includes extras, bonus CDs, and extra little doodads. Seriously, who the fuck needs that shit? I got a gay little headband when I bought dodgeball, and a stupid stocking cap when I bought coach carter. Who actually keeps that shit? Making all those items had to cost money, eliminate shit like that.

eliminate the stupid things like the elaborate display stands. When did "I couldn't find the loud, obnoxious display stand, so I couldn't buy the item" become a barrier to buying stuff? someone had to design and mass produce those things....fire them!

streamline marketing is my solution. they do all these outrageous things just to get a few more buys and I just don't think its worth it. or how many times has someone NOT bought a game cuz they were sick of the hype? or the person sees the game in action, and the game doesn't live up to the hype?

I don't really care for Steam, but in general, I don't have a problem with digital delivery. but thats all...digital delivery fine, get me the game, but otherwise, hand's off bitch...let me play the game without approval from your bloated big brother delivery system.

That's what needs to be done with older games and abandonware. sell that shit on digital delivery. especially abandonware.

otherwise, in regards to Mark and his comments. I don't give a shit if you don't think you're getting money you're due. you got a problem with retailers? fine, be an adult and find a solution and shut the fuck up. consumers don't need to hear about how devs and retailers are having temper tantrums over who gets their share of the money. It makes them look immature and greedy.

News Comments > UFO: Extraterrestrials Delayed Again
5. No subject Sep 30, 2005, 00:56 VoodooV

I just don't get it..

Granted, X-com is one of the greatest games in gaming history, but damnit, its so ancient...why the hell hasn't anyone bested it yet....for christ's sake!

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Half-Life 2 GotY
198. No subject Sep 14, 2005, 01:18 VoodooV

jesus-fucking-christ, when are you guys going to start ignoring this troll...or better yet, when is blue or some mod going to finally intervene and put a stop to this crap?

Riley has become virtually a household name on this site, not because he's right, not because he's a moron, but because you guys keep feeding this super-troll.

he would have fallen into obscurity long ago were it not for you putzes.

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 01:18.

News Comments > Windows Gaming Revival?
26. Re: New Revenue Stream Sep 9, 2005, 13:09 VoodooV

I agree, its because of the xbox that there are fewer and fewer games for the PC, and those that do make it to PC, have a distinct console feel to them, or to use a less politically correct term: "dumbed-down"

21. No subject Sep 9, 2005, 12:32 VoodooV

The real money is in the games right? not the console by itself.

so I don't see why they Sony/MS/Nintendo don't make emulators for the PC.

cuz how many people have a PC, but don't think its worthwhile to buy 3 separate consoles just to play all the games they want to play. but if a PC could play games from all platforms, doesn't that mean people would buy more games?

Even MS should support that, cuz that means more people buying those expensive windows licenses so that more gamers can have that uber all-in-one gaming platform.

for budget PC gamers, the console is a barrier keeping you from playing some really cool games out there. If the money is in the games, and not in the console hardware, make the actual console an optional device and get those games out there to people who don't want to buy another box cluttering up their living room.

14. No subject Sep 9, 2005, 12:14 VoodooV

if MS wants to impress me, they can make it so that I can take my Xbox CDs, pop them in my dvd drive on my PC, have windows detect what is and run an official xbox/xbox360 emulator and play them on my PC

THAT would make me pay attention to xbox games more

they could also make their consoles able to read generic memory sticks instead of their proprietary usb plugs so that I could upload saved games from my PC to a stick..take them over to the console and load them in there and vice versa

you want cross-platform? fine...stop using proprietary interfaces. what's that? you don't want to cuz it hurts your bottom line when people stop buying your proprietary peripherals? Then FU!

News Comments > Microsoft Gaming Mouse
53. No subject Sep 7, 2005, 12:14 VoodooV

damn, that G7 is friggin sweet!

I love those dual battery packs, charge one while using the other...awesome!

wtf is that USB dongle for though? is the wireless *on* that dongle? why isn't it just integrated into the base? what else would you plug into that socket? or is that so you can quickly switch over to a wired usb mouse instead of fooling around on the back of the computer.

thank god for driverless mouse...hate mouseware!

News Comments > StarCraft & Brood Wars Patches
3. Re: Patch Notes Sep 7, 2005, 11:57 VoodooV

amen to that. I've never been a huge fan of RTS, but Starcraft was one of the exceptions.

time for something new!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
11. No subject Sep 2, 2005, 14:44 VoodooV

just cuz you can physically plug in a K/M..doesn't mean the game will support it though.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 20.
< Newer [ 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo