Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Game & Mod Development
2. No subject Jan 19, 2006, 18:48 VoodooV

maybe kotor 3?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Poll...Shmole Dec 21, 2005, 18:49 VoodooV

bingo.

its referring to satisfying instant gratification. having DVD players in cars and calling them 'essential' shit like that.

comparing cars to mp3 players is a bit of a stretch though. transportation technology will always be essential as we progress. mp3 players, xboxes and all of our entertainment technology is just that...entertainment...not essential. a few years ago, I would have agreed that cell phones are just a luxury...not so much now that I've had one for a while...they are bonafide essential tools in emergencies.

I think the psych was mainly referring to some people use these things as a substitute for human contact. hopefully we know the answer to these questions but:

why go to a party when you have a chat site?
why go outside when you have a console game to play?
why read a book when you can watch a DVD of the book...etc etc?

some people just don't understand stuff like that. Its like the preacher dude in the movie Contact said...we buy all this junk we think will fill this void in our lives and it ends up making that void bigger, so we try and buy more shit..etc etc.

yeah, Asia is full of way more techno-whores than Amercia.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Xbox Shortage Dec 16, 2005, 13:22 VoodooV

I do wish people would stop confusing want with need. Short of a promise to a dying child, I cannot think of a "need" here.

a-friggin-men

4. No subject Dec 15, 2005, 23:40 VoodooV

I agree that I want Nintendo in the game in order to provide competition to MS and Sony.

just can't help thinking the controller will flop though. I just don't see motion sensors being effective....I know, I haven't played it...but its just a gut feeling.

even though I think the controller will flop, its not a huge insurmountable deal....enough people hated the duke....the duke didn't kill the Xbox though.

News Comments > StarForce Challenge
51. No subject Dec 15, 2005, 15:51 VoodooV

who the fuck writes these antipiracy programs: former pirates.

antipiracy is such a big industry now, do you honestly believe its in their best financial interests to truly, effectively stop it?

bull, its now a part of the circle of capitalism. the more people pirate, the more the companies will complain they're losing profit and thus justify the latest, most expensive, most elaborate anti-piracy scheme which also justifies a higher price, which in turn, forces more people to pirate...lather rinse repeat.

pirates love the challenge of cracking the newest stuff, and companies, in truth, profit from piracy. its win win for both sides...who gets screwed? the legit customer. hate to sound like a conspiracy nut but the 'threat' of piracy is such a hoax.

News Comments > UFO: Afterlight Announced
21. Re: No subject Dec 13, 2005, 18:17 VoodooV

I can understand its roots in real table top games, but now your on a multiprocessing fast gaming machine..turn based games are redundant now.

you obviously dont understand - tabletop wargames will NEVER EVER GO AWAY

but they will migrate onto computers and beyond

so when are they going to finally make a faithful rendition of the Battletech table top game. I want an updated graphical MMO version of all those old MU* games I used to play. Real time, but still faithful to the tabletop game.

4. No subject Dec 13, 2005, 17:14 VoodooV

I agree with Tumbler, I think they're blowing smoke up our asses with this weekly refresh BS.

Has anyone seen ANY store get weekly shipments of the 360? of course there is high demand with supply is pathetic.

if every store were getting weekly shipments..I doubt this shortage would be as bad as it is

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
7. Re: Consolidation Dec 5, 2005, 03:36 VoodooV

Called up my brother in law (Best Buy Store Manager) to ask him when they are going to get the first shipment scince the launch. He tells me he already has them but Best Buy is holding them back due to some sort of advertising scheme they got going and he wouldn't tell me date, but just said to keep my eyes open.

Its shit like this that should remind everyone that it really is consumers vs companies. nothing against your brother or anything, cuz I'm sure he's just doing his job. it just pisses me off to no end the schemes these assholes come up with. I mean c'mon, someone high up came up with that 700 dollar bundling idea..I know they're trying to say it was just a case of some rogue managers being naughty..but c'mon, that's bullshit.

someday enough people are going to say, "fuck this...its just a toy" and stop being slaves to "me too"-ism sadly, I doubt it will be in our lifetimes.

News Comments > Illinois Gaming Law KOed, Appeal Planned
51. Re: No subject Dec 4, 2005, 12:54 VoodooV

And how is a parent - busy as they are - supposed to have the time to monitor every piece of music and video games the kid wants? Christ, the kid doesn't even have enough time for that himself.

gasp!! maybe they should have thought of that before having kids? who the fuck said you HAD to have kids?! or are you just having kids cuz of peer pressure and this perception that our society seems to have that if you're not married and a parent by 30 that somehow something is wrong with you?

you also mention of the things the kid *wants.* Wait a minute...aren't you the parent? aren't *YOU* supposed to decide what the kid gets...not the kid? who's running the show here...the kid..or you?

I reject the idea that parenthood is a right Parenthood is the singlemost important job in this universe and if you don't have the time, the money, and the emotional awareness to care for your offspring...then you simply shouldn't be a parent...end of story. Too often people allow themselves to become parents because its apparently a social rite of passage in today's society...*FUCK THAT*

the burden is on the parents...end of discussion.

This comment was edited on Dec 4, 12:58.

4. Re: Xbox 360 Nov 29, 2005, 17:06 VoodooV

cyberball?

f'n sweet!

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
16. Re: No subject Nov 24, 2005, 00:00 VoodooV

I only have one thing to say to that MF:

Gooniegoogoo!

14. Re: No subject Nov 23, 2005, 15:40 VoodooV

You're not wrong Parallax. At the same time though, I can't feel too bad about these people crammed in these long retail lines.

cuz really

1. they were dumb enough to pre-order. there were rumblings of shortages for a long time. Not only that, but pre-orders in general are a harmful thing for the industry, they do nothing but signal to the company "Hey, I'm stupid, im going to buy this no matter what state you ship it in...fuck testing...fuck patches...gimme gimme gimme NOW! /end tantrum

2. lets keep it real here....this is a game system here...its not like they're lining up for food they're fighting for the priveledge of winning the "oneupmanship" war "look at me, I'm special, i've got an 360 and you dont, you therefore are inferior to me." fuck them and their petty selves, they deserve what they get.

so yeah, Gates and Allard may be screwing them, but its the pre-orderers that pulled down their pants so that they CAN be screwed.

9. No subject Nov 23, 2005, 10:02 VoodooV

It's shit like this that really make me disgusted at our whorish consumerism. All those people crammed in the retail store lines not unlike a mosh pit. It's depressing.

do they even remember why they're buying the stupid thing? are they gamers..or are they parents just wanting to shut their kids up for the next month or two until they get bored of it and whine about wanting some other useless gadget?

6. No subject Nov 23, 2005, 09:48 VoodooV

I have to think it *is* an artificial shortage.

I know this is a flimsy arguement, but I remember watching a clip of them being made *months* ago. at one point they pull back and you just see this huge warehouse full of them

and again, this was months ago...so how can they not have enough now. Its the same thing with the whole premium/core bullshit. we've been bitching for months that the core unit being without a hard drive was an idiotic move so I just don't buy it that they're suddenly shocked to find out that they didn't see it coming.

I would say Allard's been smoking too much crack at raves, but something tells me there is nothing extreme about Allard except when it comes to being a poser. How can he call himself a gamer and pretend he's just like us and yet be so clueless as to why us gamers don't want the core unit.

and c'mon, this is MS we're talking about. Could they do something like this? most importantly, would they?

News Comments > Babylon 5 MMORPG?
21. No subject Nov 18, 2005, 02:17 VoodooV

at some point, they sold the mousepads for five bucks each so I nabbed one. no beta required

but yeah, screw the MMO, release the game that was what..90% finished...I'd rather have that.

just update it for current platforms and current tech and we'll be golden.

News Comments > UFO Aftershock to Land in N.A.
12. No subject Oct 27, 2005, 12:07 VoodooV

I'll probably buy this game, but not until it hits bargain bin. I'm still sore by being ripped off by Aftermath...god that game sucked.

just blows my mind how after all this time, X-com reigns supreme and this game just attempts to clone it, but no one can beat it. it just doesn't seem like it should be that hard of a task....to surpass a game decades old

cept maybe Silent Storm.

News Comments > Steam 3 Cometh
183. No subject Oct 15, 2005, 15:08 VoodooV

I think the moral of the story is:

you can't stop piracy...but if you keep your customers happy, they'll be less inclined to. treat your customers like criminals, and they'll pirate just to spite you.

legit customers shouldn't have to pay the price for anti-piracy schemes either. That's like saying we're responsible.

180. Re: No subject Oct 15, 2005, 11:18 VoodooV

Our primary concern is our customers Ė- the people who pay my salary. Theyíre my overlord and I donít want to inconvenience them. Moreover, piracy is really about how many sales are actually lost. What we do is put out free updates after release. We got "Editorís Choice Awards" from most of the major game magazines for the original Galactic Civilizations, and that was on the 1.0 version in the box. However, we put out tons of updates after release that greatly enhanced that experience.

So letís say someone got a "warez" copy. If they like the game, theyíre going to want the updates, and to do that, they have to have a valid serial number that is verified on the server side (i.e. no cracks). So at that point, weíre going to get that sale. Or we would have never gotten the sale.

I donít like game companies treating me like a criminal. If Iím paying $50[US] for a game then I better well be able to put it on my laptop and PC and not have to futz around with keeping track of the CD. Besides, I end up losing my CDs anyway.

BINGO!

that's how you fight piracy. copy protection just eggs crackers on cuz its a challenge to tear down the latest greatest protection scheme. take away the thrill of it and that severely puts a dent in the reasons why people do it in the first place.

fight the motivation to pirate, not the action of pirating. you can't fight pirates with technology, cuz they'll just eventually crack it. what gets built, gets torn down. So the answer, in my opinion, is to fight piracy with psychology.

176. No subject Oct 15, 2005, 02:01 VoodooV

just as long as you realize that I wasn't specifically referring to *you* I'm just making an argument. I'm not Riley. I'm not going to pretend that I'm better than you, or that I have the answers, or that I have to convince you. I'm just talkin' here.

There is obviously going to be a difference in opinion in that regard of what is tolerable copy protection. I disagree though, I don't think there is a hard-set line of what is (in)tolerable. If someone makes some drastic changes. people complain, but if you do it over time. slowly convince people bit by bit that certain things are acceptable...tolerance then changes.

I'll take physical copy protection (dongle, code phrases, whatever) over apps that phone home for approval *any* day. That's just me, I'm not trying to make the argument that one is better than the other. Just trying to show that we've been dealing with various forms of copy protection for a long time now, and its been sold to us as part of the "war against piracy" I sincerely question if that is the true motive at work here. copy protection is no longer just some program tacked onto a game at the last minute by a clever programmer so that little Billy doesn't make illegal copies for the rest of the clubhouse. Its a business.

And relating this back to Steam, it just seems to me that Steam is more of a copy protection device than it is a digital delivery device. It doesn't matter if you buy HL2 in the store, or through DD, you still have to authenticate through Steam. And so when people focus on "Steam as DD" I consider that an irrelevant issue when compared to the rest of what Steam is.

Tangent: I'm told that steam's friend list still doesn't work even in this new client. Seems like fucked up priorities to me.

Valve: "Yeah yeah yeah, we'll get to the friends list thing later, but damnit, we gotta push out this new GUI!!"

News Comments > UFO: Aftershock Demo
16. Re: Sweet Oct 14, 2005, 19:47 VoodooV

is the AI still horrible? There was such little point in moving most of the time as the enemies would move straight line to you and all you'd have to do is stand there and pick em off one by one. The only time you'd have to dance is when they got those rapid fire rocket launchers

The final mission of Aftermath pissed me off, it was no different from a base mission, cept with an added room and the boss required no more strategy than knowing which magic weapon actually hurt him as all others did virtually no damage.

This comment was edited on Oct 14, 19:57.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo