Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Why No KOTOR3?
30. Re: No subject Mar 31, 2006, 22:33 VoodooV

they need to make the next KOTOR more challenging, something that requires a few more synapses than just mashing the master flurry button. and its way too easy to become uber. There aren't enough moments in the game where you actually feel tension because you totally outclass every foe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. No subject Mar 28, 2006, 00:28 VoodooV

XP is useless fluff only if you had 2K and thats true even today. If you have 2K, there is NO reason to upgrade unless you're buying a new PC. yeah, if you're still running on 98, XP is awesome, but please, most people had started to move over to 2K, so the change was already happening when XP came out. when push comes to shove to your standard no frills gamer, there is no diff between 2k and XP, and thus, no reason to upgrade. Sure XP is the gold standard now, only because its been out for a long time now and people have had time to migrate to it and hardware caught up to it, we all bitched at one point about the, then, steep requirements for XP

Bottom line is that Gamers won't upgrade until they start to see more and more games that say Vista is supported on the system requirements. As much as I would like to play Halo 2 finally, ONE game isn't enough to make me switch. until then, I'll tinker with it at work, but it won't touch my home computer till things stabilize

XP is to 2K, the same way 98 was to 95. XPSP2 is to XP the same way 98SE is to 98. So if they follow true to form, Vista will be the new 95, it will inevitably be replaced by something that is essentially the same thing under the hood, but updated...which is exactly what 98 was to 95

News Comments > Koster Leaves SOE
13. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2006, 12:30 VoodooV

that's not really surprising though is it? does anyone ever make a speech about how something is their fault anymore? Its always something ELSE that seems to be at fault.

I'll admit that I know squat about that particular situation though.

News Comments > Koster Leaves SOE
10. Re: No subject Mar 24, 2006, 11:32 VoodooV

he always came across to me as one of those guys who is just convinced of their own intelligence. I remember the pre-release days of SWG when I was on their forums a lot, someone showed me a link to one of Raph's thesis on MMO design and it just seemed so full of himself. I cant help but to think you don't need a diploma to design a fun multiplayer game. so it seemed to me SWG's tragedy was an example of how one can overthink a problem when the solution needn't be so ridiculously complicated.

News Comments > Gold - Auto Assault
19. No subject Mar 22, 2006, 16:24 VoodooV

I was also in beta...fun game..but not 15/month fun. sorry NetDevil. I only got up to lvl 30 or so before I got bored. One thing I liked during the time I did play was that I never felt the grind. there were so many missions to do that I never really felt the need to go find some high XP area and farm. granted, many of the missions were repetitive...but if I had to choose between repetitive missions and mindless farming. I'll take the missions, at least they give you the illusion that you've got a purpose in the game besides mindlessly racing towards level X, only to do it again for level X+1

This comment was edited on Mar 22, 16:27.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. No subject Mar 22, 2006, 09:23 VoodooV

So at what point does it become illegal for someone to blackmail a corporation to stop Comedy Central from airing the scientology.

I mean I know there is no free speech over the airwaves (or here for that matter) but I'm just floored how Cruise doesn't seem to realize, or care how unethical his actions are. I mean seriously Tom, grow a spine.

118. Re: Southpark Mar 15, 2006, 22:58 VoodooV

I was referring to your statement that science can explain everything in the universe. Perhaps science can. But isn't it taking to an extreme (or maybe even taking a leap of faith) to say that science can explain EVERYTHING out there, despite the vast unknowns in the universe around us and that beyond the near? I believe science is the best belief system because it supports its assertions with fact but perhaps there could exist things beyond the scope and extension of science. My point being: science can be dogmatic, too. It's not just religious zealots who take things on faith. I think most people believe in Einstein's theory of relativity, but how many of us understand the mathematical proof behind it? The vast, vast majority do not. Yet we believe in it (even if it is somewhat counterintuitive) because big smart scientists told us it was so.

well put!

117. No subject Mar 15, 2006, 22:32 VoodooV

I find this contempt for science disturbing. Sure, there are a lot of nutjobs out there working 'in the name of science' but it doesn't change the fundamentals of what is good science and how it should be carried out. You can argue all you want, I'll still rather ascribe to the scientific process than accept things out of blind faith.

this is where you misunderstand. I have no contempt for science. I very much lean more towards science than faith As I have already stated, I just don't think its healthy to have one without the other.

I have contempt for those that believe that their understanding of our place in the universe is better or superior to anyone elses. I'm not saying you do. but as you have admitted, there are people like that out there. be they religious or scientific it makes no difference to me. a unethical priest may believe he is 'closer to god' than his followers are. in just the same way an arrogant scientist may believe that their knowledge makes them superior to the rest of us. THAT is what I have contempt for. Its these kinds of people that always seem to get the most press, while the rest of us who are closer to center go unheard.

116. Re: Southpark Mar 15, 2006, 22:20 VoodooV

I think a lot of people are mistaking faith for dogma. When I talk about faith. I'm simply refering to the belief in something you can't explain..you can't prove. yet you know is there. To borrow from the movie Contact I pose this to you: Do you love your parents?....Prove it. there is no equation for that shit.

I am by nature a logical person. but to say everything is science and nothing else. I find something lacking in that.
And to me, blind faith that science has the answers is no different from the blind faith in the idiotic dogma of some religions. It just seems obvious to me that science and faith have more in common that both of them would care to admit.

When I see the pundits on both sides arguing and debating over what should be taught in schools and the like. I don't see people searching for truth. I see people searching for power. Cuz see, we already have a choice in what we believe and how we are taught. if you are secular, you can go to a public school, if you're devoutly religious, you can go to a parochial school. If you don't like either one, you can be homeschooled. The freedom of choice already exists. Once again, why do we seem to be so concerned about what other people believe? These pundits are seeking the power to choose for you, and to say that their opinions on such personal matters are superior to yours. THAT's when I say to heck what they think. What are they going to do...outlaw schools that don't teach beliefs that aren't their own? That treads awful close to Isaac Hayes-ian levels of bigotry and intolerance

110. Re: No subject Mar 15, 2006, 16:00 VoodooV

Yes, there are some fundamental assumptions you have to make, but they are not based on blind Faith

there really isn't much difference between 'assumption' and 'faith' if you think about it.

if you're trying to tell someone to solve a problem and you tell them to assume X=3. What if that person asks you, "why is X=3, what do you tell them? you have to just take it on faith that X *IS* 3 you don't prove that X=3, it's just given to you. Faith is also just given to you you don't explain it, it just is. making assumptions is the same thing.

Another way to look at is this. Many people, including myself, believe that there must be intelligent life elswhere beyond our solar system. Prove it. you can't. We take it on faith that there must be something else out there besides us. Sure you could prove that given the probable size of the universe, that its statistically impossible for there to not be other life out there, but statistics is still just a guess...still faith.

I'm not saying one is right and the other is not. I just see the fanatics dancing around each other, fighting over who is right and I just have to ask, what does it accomplish? does it stop you from believing in science if the religious fanatics win...does it stop you from having faith if the scientific fanatics win? dont you think its awfully petty for these people to argue with each other and try and convince each other that they are right and the other is wrong when in the end, its still up to *you* to decide. fuck what the 'scholars' think.

and at the end of the day, does it make a difference? does knowing the meaning of life change the fact that you still have to go to work or school? does it help you do your taxes? I choose to believe there is room for *both* science and spirituality in my life. to eliminate one or the other seems stupid.

108. No subject Mar 15, 2006, 14:40 VoodooV

I used to be Athiest until I realized that believing that there is no god is really no different than beliving that there is a god. Both beliefs assume that one KNOWS the nature of existence. Its two sides of the same coin. you can argue that god created the universe or you can argue that the big bang did...both makes the assumption that you *KNOW*

science and religion are the same thing, they both try to explain the unexplainable, and both are interpreted by the same flawed humans. one is just a little bit more adaptable and open to change than the other fanatics from both sides claim that their side has all the answers

I am quite content in saying simply that I do not know.

71. Re: best duel ever? Mar 14, 2006, 18:05 VoodooV

Art of the Saber is pretty good mind you Space Captain,

I don't like the shades on those kids though...just looks lame and too scripted. I think I liked the music in 'best duel ever' better..I liked the way it meshed with the action. Gonna have to watch "Dark City" now

"best duel ever" while it too is obviously choreographed has a slightly more real feel to it though...Maybe I'm just being a Batman Begins whore, but I agree with Ra's Al Ghul, fighting is not a dance. and without the shades, you can see the kids' expressions and emotions better.

News Comments > Stargate MMORPG Announced
41. No subject Mar 13, 2006, 03:13 VoodooV

SG does need to die hard core.

I used to love SG-1, but its turned into another star trek where the answer for everything is once again, bigger and better technology. Every fucking season is about searching out some secret lost bit of Ancient technology and it just gets old ok? Suspension of disbelief is one thing, but Its getting harder and harder to believe that Earth can go from ignorant of life on other planets, and in 10 short years, be a significant power in TWO galaxies and have more ancient and asgard tech with every episode. Its just getting way too monty hall. They've got a working Ancient warship now for crying out loud...enough is enough. Its getting too ridiculous that Earth has been under attack at least twice, and the world at large is still ignorant of what's going on. They really need to let the Stargate program out of the closet. THAT would be an episode worth watching again.

I think the problem though is that they've become propagandists for the Air Force way too much now. They can't have any dark gritty episodes, cuz they're too busy being a recruitment show for the AF And they can't risk being 'real' or the AF might frown on it and pull support.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Armed Forces, but, I get a little tired of this "everything is perfect and honorable when you're in the military" recruitment spiel.

SG-1 and Atlantis need to end. or radically change

News Comments > Steam Plans
19. No subject Mar 13, 2006, 02:54 VoodooV

round and round we go.....

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode One to Stand Alone
46. No subject Mar 3, 2006, 01:38 VoodooV

Homeworld Catyclysm was standalone I think.

I never understood that.. They claim its so you can buy the sequel without having to buy the original...thats fine..but who does that? I can't even conceive of buying an expansion and not buying the original product...or buying the expansion 1st, original 2nd

If I'm even remotely interested in a sequel/expansion. I always start at the beginning.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
1. Star Trek Legacy Feb 24, 2006, 21:24 VoodooV

ok, so I haven't read the article, just the blurb on the main blues page. I'm reading the part about how hes a trekkie, and it just occurred to me. "so what?" how is him being a fan supposed to convince me they're making a good game? In fact, could it be quite the opposite...could being a fan be a detriment...could he get so caught up in one tiny aspact that he, as a fan, focuses on, while ignoring something that might be critical to good gameplay.

I mean shit, he could care more about making sure the Enterprise isn't travelling to Starbase 112 in the Who'Givss'A'Fuck Sector when any true diehard fan knows that Starbase 112 is actually in the I'Don't'gettalaid Planetary Cluster Region. meanwhile, in the real world, the game sucks ass and is boring.

how does being a fan make a good game? really.

News Comments > Boll Slams Games Industry (Really!)
77. No subject Feb 20, 2006, 10:20 VoodooV

I'm not denying that Wing Commander did suck..I'm just saying it had the largest potential to not suck of all the video game movies I can recall.

cuz seriously...Tomb Raider? Mario Bros? please..garbage in, garbage out

News Comments > Boll Slams Games Industry (Really!)
69. No subject Feb 16, 2006, 03:13 VoodooV

I still think the Wing Commander movie had a decent shot at being a first 'good' video game movie. It had such potential..lots of big star names.

but OMG did Roberts screw the pooch on that. Pilgrims, Kilrathi look nothing like cats...I mean WTF?

seriously, all he had to do is stick with what we loved about the games and he would have had a slam dunk. Cuz how often is the creator of the games also the director of the movie. But no..he had to take things in a new direction..argh!

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 1 Facts
48. Re: No subject Feb 13, 2006, 18:23 VoodooV

I'm not talking about Aftermath...I'm talking about HL2. I'm not going to rehash the previous thread's rant about whether or not episodic content is a good thing for consumers

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 1 Facts
39. No subject Feb 13, 2006, 17:41 VoodooV

glad I'm not the only one to look at the overview and selling points and scrunch my brow.

so, anyway, I still haven't played HL2 (I still really can't stand Steam, but thats not really stopping me) Exactly when do we see the cost cutting benefits of digital delivery? Last I checked, the price of this game still hasn't gone down significantly.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo