Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Piracy versus PC Gaming
289. No subject Mar 11, 2007, 15:11 VoodooV

When you're already pulling down a wealthy salary Mr CEO Todd Hollenshead, and you have the gall to cry about the impact of piracy and the made up economic losses when its dubious whether or not these people would buy the game if piracy were to magically disappear.

....Mr. Hollenshead's cries are falling on deaf ears. Woe is me...I'm rich...but I could be more rich. No one is forcing us to buy games, true, but neither is anyone forcing him to take an oversized paycheck when he's already got plenty.

again, call me when you have some real problems Mr. Hollenshead. Till then, I make the claim that the PC gaming industry's problems are of their OWN DOING.

They take away fun, engaging games like space sims and flight sims and turn based games in favor of dumbed down shooter after dumbed down shooter. They keep pushing out the same tired gameplay over and over with nothing but updated graphics engine that forces us to keep buying more and more ridulously priced hardware to keep up? Anyone remember the days when the most cutting edge video card only cost you 200 bucks? and you wonder why people aren't as interested anymore? Color me surprised.

Greed is why we are here bitching gentlemen. You can argue who is more greedy, the pirates or the companies, but who pays? US. You can't attack the Pirate, because he's going to remain hidden and will always pirate no matter how cheap a game might get. but you can do something about the companies for playing their part in the cycle. Neither side is innocent, admit it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

277. No subject Mar 11, 2007, 11:41 VoodooV

Why do you believe that you are entitled to such a special privilege (risk-free, satisfaction guaranteed money spending) when it comes to games?

I think a better question is why do the publishers and developers feel so entitled to get so much of the money I spend?

Its one thing to earn a wage so you can live a comfortable life and have money you need to take care of the daily issues that come up. But its quite another to scream at me that piracy is hurting the industry when you're living in a mansion and have multiple exotic cars. Look at yourself before you start throwing judgement around.

Call me when these publishers and developers can't afford to pay their rent or put braces on their kid. Then we'll talk about how piracy is hurting the industry.

222. No subject Mar 10, 2007, 19:54 VoodooV

yes lets degenerate into calling those who don't agree with us or see our points imbeciles and morons...cuz that accomplishes so much

Riley, you are a smart person, surely you can refute his points without the name calling eh?

217. No subject Mar 10, 2007, 18:18 VoodooV

Even if piracy were to somehow stop. Do you honestly believe that companies wouldn't find a new excuse to raise their prices?

Steam has proven that prices don't magically drop for the consumer once you've cut out the middleman of the publisher. So why do you believe things would be better if pirates were to somehow go away?

At some point when you're pondering why stuff costs so much. You have to eventually come the fact that at some point, the guy selling you the product has decided that earning a modest wage is somehow not good enough and that he needs more and the consumer pays for that and you have to decide if that's justified or not.

Pirates. Are. Not. The. Problem. They are merely the easy scapegoat.

This comment was edited on Mar 10, 18:21.

216. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2007, 17:56 VoodooV

Ok, you obviously aren't in business. "Everyone" won't have it, because you don't sell it to "everyone". You license it to Publishers. They, in turn, pay you either a yearly fee, or an amount based on the number of games they protect with it. It's not like it's a non-renewable commodity.

You're proving my point, you've just turned it back into an issue of greed where you illustrate you're not about solving the problem, you're just out for a paycheck. Which is fine, but man up and admit that piracy isn't the problem you're concerned about, that you're just looking for a continued paycheck.

What do you not understand about this system Bhuric?

A company releases a game. someone pirates it. eventually enough people pirate it to prompt some beancounter to say: "Hey, if we could somehow stop people pirating our game, we'd make much more money" The company comes up with a way to stop pirates. Lets suppose this system is successful for a time and people stop pirating. But inevitably, someone beats the system and piracy resumes. Which again prompts someone to say the same thing, that if they could somehow stop the piracy, they'd make more money. They have to pay for these anti-piracy systems, so they charge more money. eventually the whole anti-piracy system becomes so complex that they make entire businesses around it. Lather rinse repeat.

So yes, I equate stopping piracy to a magical hypothetical, because there will ALWAYS be piracy. Whatever is made by humans will be undone by humans. To believe otherwise is moronic.

The question is, do you want that cycle to perpetuate? or stop? If you want it to perpetuate, then you can't complain about piracy, as they are part of the system. They aren't the problem. If you want the cycle to stop, great, but if you're going to target the pirates, either you have to somehow use magic to get pirates to stop, because pirates will always eventually circumvent technology. Or you have to find a psychological solution that makes pirates not want to pirate in the first place. How do you go about that? lower prices? make better games that people WANT to buy? the possibilities are endless. But the bottom line is that you don't blame pirates. They're just part of the system. They'll pirate just for the challenge of it. Who are the ones actually raising prices in order to maintain their already wealthy lifestyle?

In addition, how do you think these anti-piracy companies get their talent? They recruit former pirates. So the idea that pirates are the source of the problem is just insane.

So don't try and pretend to have this noble goal of trying to eliminate a crime, when that crime actually enables you to earn more money.

News Comments > C&C3 Audio Sync Fix
1. No subject Mar 10, 2007, 17:25 VoodooV

when I tried to alt-tab out of the demo, I couldn't alt-tab back in. the game would just freeze Anyone else have this problem or do I just need to reboot and free up memory?

212. Re: No subject Mar 10, 2007, 16:38 VoodooV

If a company came up with a system that eliminated piracy, they most certainly wouldn't be out of a job, they'd have more customers than they could count. The fact it elimated piracy would sell the product for them. So I'm not sure how you think your argument makes sense.

Think about it over a longer timeline. yeah, people have purchased your magical unbreakable piracy scheme and you're filthy rich. Guess what, even rich people run out of money. but you can't sell more of your product, because eventually everyone will have it and there will be no new customers and your revenue will dry up. And that's just assuming no one copies your magical unbreakable anti-piracy scheme.

If there was suddenly no crime or war..who goes out of business? The same applies here. If there suddenly were no more pirates. anti-piracy also goes out of business. They don't want that so they're always going to scare you into thinking you NEED their next product so that they can get a slice of that imaginary 3 billion pie.

always bet on greed.

211. No subject Mar 10, 2007, 16:32 VoodooV

Let us continue to explore this magical world in which piracy no longer exists. So you've got a punk kid who wants to play a game, he can't pirate it because of this imaginary unbreakable anti-pirate scheme. So what does he do? Mug someone? commit to REAL stealing? Before you laugh at the idea that someone would commit violence in order to play a game. Consider that desperate people have done far more, for far less like cigarettes and alcohol and shoes. So you better believe the idea that someone would commit a violent crime in order to play a game to be true.

So really, what would you have, a bunch of non-violent, white collar copyright infringers which a smart person can also use for free marketing. Or a bunch of violent thugs itching for their next gaming fix?

209. No subject Mar 10, 2007, 16:14 VoodooV

anti-piracy is a full fledged business now that peoples' entire livelyhood depends on now. Do you honestly expect then to want to find a way to truly eliminate piracy? Why should they? If they did, they'd be out of a job. So of course they're always going to say that piracy is a problem and hurts the industry. They have to sell their anti-piracy product. They have mouths to feed and lives to lead and that costs money.

You're delusional if you believe that if piracy were to magically disappear that all the broke college kids would pull 3 billion out of their ass to make up for that imaginary "economic loss"

The problem isn't piracy. If anything the "threat" of piracy is integral to the gaming business.

you fools are being played

83. Re: Pirates=Losers Mar 10, 2007, 01:27 VoodooV

fuck this association game. They take a white collar crime and give it these dark foreboding names such as piracy.

Its copyright infringement, not stealing, not piracy. If you commit copyright infringement, yes you are guilty and you should be punished. But I'm sick of the gaming industry trying to spin its little propaganda machine in order to justify inflated prices. people have their entire livelyhoods invested into anti-copying technology. tell me. does that give one real incentive to eliminate copyright infringement? If they really made ANY progress in stopping infringement. They'd be out of a job. So let's all admit it right here right now. The title of this article shouldn't be Piracy vs PC gaming. It should be Piracy AND PC Gaming. they go hand in hand now and if there were no infringement, there would be no excuse to raise prices to pay for these overly complex schemes that do nothing to stop the true hackers, but inconvenience the legit user, which is stupidly still handing over money to pay for this needless crap.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
5. Re: No subject Mar 9, 2007, 12:55 VoodooV

I have to agree, after saying that their goal (not a guarantee I know) was to get all xbox games compatible on the 360. They really haven't given it much effort IMO. Granted there have been a lot of games that have been updated, but its always been a little here, a little there. Nothing to really indicate they consider that goal important. Meanwhile the PS2 and the Wii have huge selling points with their 100% backwards compatability and Virtual console. Compared to that, MS's efforts to make games BC appears half-assed

They haven't shown that they are committed to meeting their goal. And its not like they're just missing some obscure games and we're being nitpicky. The MechAssault games still haven't been updated and im sure others can list off droves of popular games that have no updates.

Yes I know software emulation is tougher than HW, but hey they should have thought about that before making those goals. They need to make a renewed effort to at the very least get the more popular games updated. I personally could care less if my copy of "Enter the Matrix" never gets an updated. But I would like the Mechassaults and NBA games and Full Spectrum Warrior updated.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
5. Re: City of Hero's Feb 15, 2007, 23:59 VoodooV

That's pretty much when the game started to drag on me. I stuck with it until about lvl 31 I think...then I just gave up

I totally agree about Shadowrun...the last thing the gaming industry needs is another flippin' generic shooter. BOOOORING

News Comments > Gears of War PC... Eventually
6. Re: Pass Feb 15, 2007, 00:19 VoodooV

control scheme will probably be crap

14. No subject Feb 12, 2007, 23:43 VoodooV

relax....its just good funny.

12. No subject Feb 12, 2007, 19:06 VoodooV

Christ, at one point there were 60 PS3s sitting on the floor of my local BB

ill take my $72,000 dollars now please

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
6. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2007, 15:03 VoodooV

someone forgot to take their meds today

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. No subject Jan 11, 2007, 10:47 VoodooV

stupid fanboys....

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
18. No subject Dec 31, 2006, 00:45 VoodooV

just curious, but has anything come out of TB's mouth that doesn't make him sound like a shill for Sony?

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
14. Re: No subject Dec 24, 2006, 03:47 VoodooV

yeah, luck is the only reason Ill be getting a Wii on Monday. someone posted at Penny-Arcade that Circuit City had some in stock online immediately after I made a post so I saw it right away. I clicked the link and got my order in. a few seconds after I placed the order, It was sold out again.

I tried getting up early to get one at Walmart that very same morning. It was a joke, they only had 9, and there were about 50 people there I had no chance.

12. Re: No subject Dec 15, 2006, 23:38 VoodooV

you just know that some people have to be exploiting this. find a broken TV, buy a Wii and claim the Wii broke it

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo