Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 12, 2012, 13:44 VoodooV

Now in fairness, Firefox and Chrome make Google their default engine. The difference being that Firefox/Chrome doesn't come with Windows, so if you know enough to make the choice of a different browser, you're probably aware that you can make the choice of search engines.

If you're not computer literate, you're probably using Bing and THAT's assuming you even know what a search engine is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 12, 2012, 13:16 VoodooV

Merge the console and pc into one platform. That's all they need to do.

This whole Xbox version or PC version is BS. I should be able to take a game and play it on a console OR a PC

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 12, 2012, 13:04 VoodooV

I blame it on how MS "bundles" it with IE by making it the default search engine. If you're just a casual computer user that doesn't mess around with Firefox or Chrome, guess what, you're probably using Bing and you're not even aware that there are better alternatives out there.

MS is just cashing in on ignorance.

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Early Access Demo in January
11. Re: Mass Effect 3 Early Access Demo in January Oct 21, 2011, 20:20 VoodooV

ZeroCougar wrote on Oct 21, 2011, 12:13:
I dunno, I'm slightly more worried there trying to attract the Battlefield crowd into what is a sci-fi rpg game. Now some people do play FPS's and RPG's like myself and love both, but I have got to be in the minority on that. I don't have facts to back me up but it seems to me that people who play Battlefield will not be likely to buy into an SCI-Fi rpg.

I do see it as an attempt to lure more people into this Origin deal. It smells bad to me. Nothing about whats going on at EA seems like the best idea ever.

Are they still pretending that ME3 is still an RPG?

News Comments > Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins
25. Re: Portal 2 Countdown Ends, New One Begins Apr 16, 2011, 10:37 VoodooV

As someone who discovered Portal late, long after all the hype died down. I find all this launch marketing campaign for Portal 2 to be tiresome. I loved Portal and I definitely will buy Portal 2, but not until long after the fanfare has died off and the game is on sale for less than $20

This marketing blitz is a waste of time and money.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: President Obama complains White House technology is '30 years behind' Apr 16, 2011, 10:19 VoodooV

I suspect the prez is exaggerating a bit on how out of date the office is. I work in State gov't and, sure, we're definitely not bleeding edge, and sure we definitely have a few programs that are horribly out of date. but we manage to keep pace with technology for the most part.

I also suspect that the reasons why gov't tends to lag behind in technology is because they're too busy fighting over left vs right. Who's got time for technology leadership when you have to make the other side look bad and make your side look right and virtuous.

Sure, gov't as it stands now should not be in control of the Internet. But there is always going to be the need to have SOME form of regulation. Just like wall street and the private sector needs regulation, the internet requires some form of regulation. What form that takes is obviously debatable, but to argue that it should be devoid of any form of control is ridiculous.

News Comments > LEGO Star Wars III Trailer
4. Re: LEGO Star Wars III Trailer Mar 6, 2011, 11:48 VoodooV

Sorry, I've been lego'd out. It was fun while it lasted.  

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds
27. Re: Ships Ahoy - Angry Birds Jan 6, 2011, 17:30 VoodooV

I'm still shocked it's free on Android. I'd gladly pay the monies..even now after playing it a long time.  

News Comments > Back to the Future Episode 1 Released
5. Re: Back to the Future Episode 1 Released Dec 24, 2010, 11:40 VoodooV

|oR|jonvall wrote on Dec 24, 2010, 09:47:
When you're talking about being able to jump through time it doesn't matter when the Delorean was destroyed because it still exists in another timeline........theoretically.

That's heavy

News Comments > Mass Effect 3 Tease?
36. Re: Mass Effect 3 Tease? Nov 17, 2010, 18:08 VoodooV

Thinking makes my brain hurt.

ME3 needs to be nothing but QTE. Aiming and shooting is just so tedious. Pushing your stick forward to move forward? ugh..I just can't be bothered to do that. </sarcasm>

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 4, 2010, 22:18 VoodooV

so...they lose hundreds of thousands of customers...and they still make profit?

Nope! Nothing is wrong here.
/sarcasm

FWIW, ill be getting rid of TWC TV services next month. OTA HD is perfectly fine..and free. Anything else I can get online. fifty bucks or more a month will be back in my hands

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2010, 18:09 VoodooV

nice strawman. No one here was complaining about being forced to upgrade. It's an issue of cost and it's an issue of benefit.

In all likelyhood, Win8 will cost a lot of money, and it won't even be a major update to Win7. So why get it? On top of it, many people will need to upgrade their computers to run Win8 decently. so again..if you're not exactly hurting where you're at right now. Why the hell would you waste your money on a needless upgrade?

Most people don't even know what RAID is...so not very many people were hindered by the floppy disk limitation of WinXP RAID drivers. It didn't even become a mainstream issue until the last few years when SATA RAID controllers became commonplace on most motherboards.

There's this little thing called value for your money and MS doesn't seem to get that. I'd love to upgrade my home computer to each new OS that comes out, but it simply doesn't make financial sense for me to do so.

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 25, 2010, 14:10 VoodooV

well..it would be three years since Win7 is one year old..but yeah, I wouldn't want to upgrade an OS every three years either.

Is there any indication that Win8 be anything significantly different from Win7? If not then I'll probably leapfrog it and wait for Win9.

MS really needs to give customers a little better incentive to upgrade to new operating systems. It's just ridiculously too expensive as it is now especially when you consider the standard MS mentality of not making an operating system that works great on current computers, instead it's great for future computers.

This isn't the 1990's anymore.

...and space captain beat me to it. ipods are fine....until the battery eventually craps out. Then your expensive little trinket becomes a useless brick.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 23, 2010, 09:41 VoodooV

Wonder what happened to Win7 service pack 1? It seemed like Win7 was out for only a couple months and we were hearing talk that it was already nearly ready so that they could push out a token SP to satisfy all the "wait for the service pack" cynics

But lately, I haven't heard squat about it at all.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
18. Re: Evening Consolidation Oct 22, 2010, 17:24 VoodooV

why don't they stop beating about the bush and give up any pretense that you are buying anything and make it so that you merely rent the console.  

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
46. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 15, 2010, 17:14 VoodooV

StingingVelvet wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 17:09:
Rattlehead wrote on Oct 15, 2010, 16:51:
The planets in Mass Effect 1 were lifeless, dull and basically felt like someone took a terra former for each planet, closed their eyes and whatever they pressed on the keyboard they stuck with.

Indeed.

The real solution though would have been making 3-4 planets that each were an open world about 1/4th the size of Oblivion. One would land from the ship in a town, get quests and such, then go exploring in the countryside. That would have been a lot more unique than cover-based shooter #347. Bioware seem to want Mass Effect to be the RPG for Halo kids though.

And I'm not saying Mass Effect 2 was a bad game, it was actually a brilliant game, it just should have been more.

That sums it up pretty good. I lol'd at RPG for Halo kids part. so true I liked ME2...but just felt like so much was missing.

Story-wise, I don't really care for the collectors, I thought they were too much of a distraction from the reapers themselves. Im worried that ME3 is going to feel rushed because they spent ME2 focusing on the collectors instead of exploring the reapers more.

News Comments > Dragon Age II Signature Edition
39. Re: Dragon Age II Signature Edition Oct 15, 2010, 16:33 VoodooV

What I don't get is why they feel they need to re-invent the wheel for sequels. ME1 and DA:Origins was a hit. So why the hell would you mess up what works?

With sequels like this, All you should have to do is focus on story. From the technology side of things, all you should need are refinements. Improved graphics, improved interfaces, additional features. The code should be so polished that there are virtually no bugs. Things like that. The game should be pretty much the same as the original. Why would they screw with it? It was obviously a hit. Why did they have to completely re-define the game from the ground up with ME2 and DA2???

Wing Commander 1 through Wing Commander Prophecy all had virtually the same gameplay, just improvements in the graphics engines and additional features, but the whole saga had the same feel to it for the most part.

ME2 felt like a completely different game from ME1 IMO and it sounds like DA2 is heading the same way. WHY?!

News Comments > Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease?
15. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 14:14 VoodooV

I like how he keeps pointing the finger at their legal division. I have a weird hunch we're being set up for a fall..and the legal division is going to get scapegoated.

Gee, and we would have released it too...if it werent for you meddling lawyers!!!

News Comments > Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease?
13. Re: Wing Commander DOSBox Rerelease? Sep 28, 2010, 14:07 VoodooV

yeah I remember that there was one mission where you had to rescue a captured ralri from attack that was damned near impossible. I think I beat it once but only after a marathon gaming session and countless retries.

And yeah there was one mission in the secret missions pack where you had to beat two Fralthis in a broadsword that was insanely hard too.

The final mission in the original Wing Commander was cake compared to that. I remember it was tough, but you just had to fly conservatively like you were in a marathon and not a sprint. you had to be VERY careful with your afterburner usage or else you'd run out too quick

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 16, 2010, 17:23 VoodooV

Nah, the Wii has proven that only the niche self-proclaimed "hard core" gamers care about high end graphics. The vast majority of gamers don't even know what chipset is in the 360, nor do they care. The PS3 has proven this. It has the best graphics of the current generation...very few people care.

And really. What is the next generation consoles going to offer us that make gaming inherently better. We already have built in wireless networking, internet services and stupid gimmicks like kinect and waggle. Aside from better graphics and more gimmicks like kinect, what would the next generation of consoles have to offer?

Personally, I want them to open up the console more, allow K/M, allow some form of modding of the games. If the goal is PC/Console convergence so that it doesn't matter if it's PC or Console and it's the same game regardless, then that's what they need to do. I just don't see them doing that...at least not with the next gen console. They're going to HAVE to do it at some point though, IMO

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo