Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Games for Windows Boss Axed
60. Re: GFW Boss Axed Jan 27, 2009, 17:54 VoodooV

So to sum up this thread:

We all agree that GfW is a joke, but despite this apparent consensus, we're all still inferior to the wisdom of Derek Smart.

That's what I'm getting out of this thread anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, we all seem to be on the same page, yet somehow, Derek still knows...better

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Games for Windows Boss Axed
21. Re: Games for Windows Boss Axed Jan 26, 2009, 14:55 VoodooV

The program - as I predicted here on Blues - was doomed to fail from day one. Why? Because MS wanted to monetize it while giving nothing worth having in return.

Sorry, but you earn zero cred for that "prediction" as a ton of people were skeptical about GfW from the start. It's not exactly an earth shattering revelation that it was nothing but lip service.

News Comments > BioWare on PC Gaming
29. Re: BioWare on PC Gaming Jan 20, 2009, 22:53 VoodooV

Battlecruiser 3000 AD

That game so does not count! A game like that is the exception, not the rule.

Independence War, however, could fall into that category. So could a lot of space sims and flight sims...but hey, what happened to those genres, hrm? Those genres already died because your typical gamer didn't want to be bothered to learn a lot of controls or didn't want to buy joysticks. While I don't agree with that viewpoint, at least I can understand it.

But as I just said..those genres are dead, so if the games they complain about that are too hard to learn....already don't exist anymore. What exactly is the problem here?

On one hand, I don't think I can really complain since these days I do play more console games than PC, but thats mostly because I don't have as much free time as I used to. I think gamers' complaints of dumbing down because of consoles are valid because god knows console games are full of button mashing and QTE. Instead of actually learning a certain technique or skill...gasp NO! let's just make a QTE to cover that up. Hell just look at South Park and Guitar Hero. People spend hours and hours and hours playing Guitar Hero, why the fuck don't they learn how to play a real guitar? Gosh cuz that's hard? But I want to be a rock star NOW!

The problem is that the dumbing down of games because of consoles is a side effect, not the real problem. It's simply easier to code for a console than it is for PC because you're coding for one hardware configuration instead of worrying about the limitless possibilities with PCs. It's a no brainer, so now they start to code for console, oh wait, this controller doesn't have as many buttons as the keyboard..hrm...what do you do?

News Comments > Weekend Sales
38. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 11, 2009, 23:01 VoodooV

Uh...read theyarecomingforyou's posts. He's arguing that every download of the game while it was unable to be bought anywhere is illegal.

The thing is, that he's right, but the point is that it doesn't make any difference, are they going to retroactively enforce it? Are they enforcing it even now? Without that, it's completely meaningless to argue the legality of it if no one is going to back it up.

He's screaming and swearing over made up terms...gosh oh no. Not ever before in the entire English language has ever made up a term only for it later to become accepted into the lexicon.

You can split hairs over the legality of it all you want, but no one is justifying piracy here, the game will continue to be pirated regardless of anyone screaming about legality. Even the lawyers who argue this shit know the difference between law and what really goes on. As the the other poster said earlier, All the company has to do is send a cease and desist letter to whatever websites that are doing it. If they haven't, then hey, it's up to you. But don't try and give me some bullshit about how pirates are a problem, because if the company doesn't care, then they obviously aren't a problem. legality/illegality doesn't mean dick if no one is around to care. It doesn't make it right. Like I said, it just means no one of consequence cares.

Whining about legal definitions on a gaming message board falls into this category.

36. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 11, 2009, 22:22 VoodooV

For someone claiming we have a lack of reading comprehension, you conveniently ignored my last statement.

Sorry, but retroactively calling foul on games that were copied at a time where there was simply no way to get them conventionally is a dick move and you know it. You can scream legalese all you want but it doesn't make it just or enforceable. A law is meaningless without those two things. Call me up when they start arresting those who copied it when it wasn't being sold. I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you.

And again, since you're conveniently ignoring my final statements. I don't condone it. Why the fuck whenever there is a piracy discussion going on, there is always some idiot that thinks we're trying to condone it. Far from it, just trying to explain to the thickheaded that there is nothing you can do about it. Piracy is cost of doing business in the software world. Someone will always buy, and someone will always pirate. I'm not saying it's ideal, but life rarely is. You should come out from hiding behind your legal definitions. Even anti-piracy lawyers don't seem to have a problem fudging definitions together when they try to convince the world that stealing and copyright infringement are the same thing when in truth they are completely different. Reality, try it sometime.

34. Re: Weekend Sales Jan 11, 2009, 19:41 VoodooV

The publisher has every right to seek money for intellectual property belonging to them

the right to seek, not to get.

It always just annoys me because whenever someone says this, they make it sound like profit is an entitlement. It is not. The game has been abandonware for a long time. Just because it's for sale now, doesn't mean you should be able to arrest a bunch of people for pirating the game back when there was no way to get it otherwise. Companies have the right to try and get money. It's not a guarantee that they will. If you have a product that no one is willing to buy, that is no one's fault but your own. Conversely, if you want a product that is no longer sold anymore or available anywhere. and you can find someone willing to let you copy it. I'm sorry, but I just can't conjure up any outrage over such a victimless crime.

That said, I'm not condoning copyright infringement. The price of the combo pack is so small and since it's been updated with DOSBox, that to quibble over whether or not to buy or pirate is ridiculous.

News Comments > JT and the Supreme Court
12. Re: JT and the Supreme Court Jan 4, 2009, 17:18 VoodooV

gotta love how ten thousand parties all believe that their case should be heard by the highest court of the land.

conceited much?

News Comments > On Star Wars: The Old Republic's "Stylized Realism"
12. Re: On Star Wars: The Old Republic's "Stylized Realism" Jan 3, 2009, 19:07 VoodooV

I personally think the art so far is ugly. But this is an MMO. Art is the least of my worries. Odds are this is going to be another generic MMO where the grind inevitably drives me away. I'd rather they spend more time with the gameplay and make sure the game is fun rather than pretty.

I sincerely hope they spend a lot of time making sure that the process of becoming a padawan and later a full jedi is very deep...same thing with lightsaber customization. This game is going to be awful boring if everyone is running around with the same powers, same lightsabers, and same jedi robes.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Movie
17. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Movie Dec 12, 2008, 19:32 VoodooV

At least the movie looks better than the first screenshots I saw. not by much granted, but it did seem nicer.

Overall, though, I don't like the cartoony look as others have mentioned.

One thing though, I know it's dumb and adds nothing to make your character more uber or anything, but for the love of god, they had better allow players to customize their hilts to a wide degree, not just the half dozen or so that galaxies had. This MMO is going to have tons of people running around with glow sticks and silly robes. At least do SOMETHING to let players be unique

News Comments > Op Ed
18. Re: Op Ed Dec 7, 2008, 22:16 VoodooV

WTF? People still believe it's piracy's fault that games are 60 bucks?

How's that working out? Are people not pirating games anymore? What's that? they still pirate them regardless of the stupid DRM? Huh. So....why is it 60 bucks again?

Piracy is a pre-existing market condition...cost of doing business. DRM doesn't stop it..so why are we footing the ever-increasing bill for it?

Ever since games went to $60. I'm the same boat as xXBatmanXx. It's pretty rare for me to buy a full price game anymore. Mass Effect comes to mind. I bought Gears of War full price, but I think everything since ME has been bargain bin and it will continue to be that way until games come down in price again...which probably won't happen.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Hell's Kitchen: The Game
3. No subject Sep 23, 2008, 10:16 VoodooV

uhh, I've had this game for a while now. Is this a new game?

News Comments > Force Unleashed to PCs? LucasArts Says No
37. Re: ... Sep 8, 2008, 14:02 VoodooV

I'd like to support Lucasarts so that we may see a sequel to Tie Fighter

Why do people keep buying into that fallacy? You're buying a game of one genre, purely because you're hoping they'll make a game of a different genre?

It didn't work for Shadowrun, why the f*** do people think it will work for this game?

If this game were to sell well, it would encourage them to make more games of the same type, not switch over to a new genre. I love space/flight sims, but they died for a reason, not enough people played them. They aren't going to come back because of this misguided notion that we just start throwing money at Lucasarts and HOPE they get the message. If you're going to throw money at anything, throw it at the freespace SCP people so they can keep doing what they're doing. If publishers see where the money is going, they'll follow it.

News Comments > Gamer's Bill of Rights
67. No subject Aug 30, 2008, 10:15 VoodooV

unless #3 means updates that allow you to run the game on newer OS (or maybe an older OS) Or updates like higher resolution graphics down the road or whatever.

otherwise, I'd agree with everyone else that not all games need extra content. If so, they'd probably just sell it as an expansion pack.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. No subject Aug 22, 2008, 08:15 VoodooV

The Stargate franchise has been run into the ground the last few years. The stories are shit and usually focused around looking for some ridiculous technology to save the day. Ark of Truth was the worst. A device that instantly convinces an enemy to be a good guy? Little convenient don't you think?

Its pretty fucking sad that The writers have two galaxies to work with and they STILL get axed because they can't come up with some decent stories. The Wraith and Ori are about the worst bad guys I've ever seen.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Consumers donít want Blu-Ray Aug 12, 2008, 19:40 VoodooV

Well, I'm a consumer, and I *want* Blu-Ray, but I'm not gonna spend $300+ for one. I'm gonna wait for "Black Friday" and score one for hopefully much cheaper ...

Thusly, you do not want BluRay, because it is too expensive, at this time.

I think a lot of us are in that boat. If the cost difference between DVD and BluRay was a lot more reasonable, a lot more people would get it, but its not because they *want* Blu-Ray, it's because they would probably consider the extra money worth it for being set for the future.

If iphones were a lot cheaper, I'd want them too, but they aren't, so fuck 'em. Same for Blu-ray, fuck 'em till they get cheaper.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Jul 21, 2008, 22:08 VoodooV

your bitterness is showing, manic.

death to fanboy-ism

News Comments > Star Wars MMOG Trademark Speculation
1. No subject Jul 12, 2008, 16:16 VoodooV

don't you mean: May the Grinding be with you.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. No subject Jun 17, 2008, 10:14 VoodooV

Wait...didn't we just have an article about how they didn't have any Xbox3 plans?

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. No subject Jun 7, 2008, 00:30 VoodooV

I think MS has it backwards. We tell them what we need, not the other way around.

News Comments > BioShock - The Trilogy
25. No subject Jun 6, 2008, 11:26 VoodooV

1. Make standalone game
2. If standalone game is successful, announce that it's actually just part one of a trilogy and imply that they had always planned it to be a trilogy
3. ????????
4. Profit!

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo