Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > MechDuels Launches
8. Re: MechDuels Launches Jun 9, 2009, 23:33 VoodooV

dude, let's not turn this into another stupid war of the fanboys

What really needs to happen is a hybrid like the text based MU games did back in the day. everything is done in real time, but all the dice rolls are done behind the scenes and hits/misses/hit location is all calculated in the background

I sunk so much time into those addictive MUSE/MUSH games back then.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 18, 2009, 20:01 VoodooV

Does anyone remember when, not too long ago, Ballmer was on his pulpit trying to warn everyone still on XP not to wait for 7 or else doom and gloom would result.

So seeing this article made me laugh.

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2009, 09:12 VoodooV

That's not expensive

Uh, yeah, 185 dollars for a just a refurbished player IS expensive.

News flash, some people aren't willing to spend as much on entertainment as others. You don't exactly get to make a value judgment on others if they don't meet your standards on entertainment technology. I don't have to get blu ray. DVDs entertain me the same amount as Blu Ray does. It's the same shit as when LCDs first came out. "Oh you HAVE to have them, they're superior!" No, I don't have to have them. My experience is not diminished because I don't have a flat panel. However, when the price dropped on LCDs to the point that they were cheaper than CRTs, then the discussion was rendered moot.

So call me when BR are equal or cheaper in price to DVD. I'm not drinking the kool-aid till then. I know its shocking, but some people place value in things other than higher resolutions

The arguments on this thread haven't really equated to more than "well, *I* have one, therefore they are worth it." And if you can't see that, well...

This comment was edited on May 16, 2009, 09:16.

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 15, 2009, 23:41 VoodooV

I'm with Creston on this one. Sure BR is nice, but currently, it's just not worth the extra cost. We're starting to get into the realm of diminishing returns when it comes to 2D video technology, IMO. You can keep increasing the resolution, and sure, it looks prettier, but so what? BR doesn't fix crappy dialogue or patch up plot holes.

Haven't we learned anything from the explosion of 3D graphics technology over the last 15 or so years? Better graphics does not equate to a better game. Likewise, better visual quality does not equate to a better movie.

I'm just not spending the money until the price comes down a LOT further.

News Comments > EVE Online Turns Six
19. Re: EVE Online Turns Six May 7, 2009, 14:04 VoodooV

I played the trial once and I loved how deep the game is.

Sadly, I just don't have the time for MMOs, nor will I pay the monthly fees.

News Comments > The Old Republic & Word Filters
13. Re: The Old Republic & Word Filters Apr 29, 2009, 12:57 VoodooV

If discussions of sex have no place in an MMO, why are they stopping with just gay and lesbian then? why isn't the word "straight" or "hetero" censored then?

either it's all OK, or none of it is OK

For every one idiot who uses G/L terminology in a hateful manner, there are a 100 who don't. Why are we catering to that one idiot?

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2009, 13:00.

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: Op Ed Apr 26, 2009, 20:10 VoodooV

Yeah, it does depend on the game. IIRC, There are a ton of missions you can do that usually get you all the way through to the next level (or at least it did back when I played it earlier in its life)

but yes, the problem is that the missions ARE tedious, the story is adequate I suppose, but the actual gameplay grind of taking on the mission is tedious. That and the whole solo player vs multiplayer aspect. If you solo, or only group very rarely, then oh yeah, be prepared for tedium aplenty. But on the other hand, if you have even a modest group, you tend to level up so quickly that you miss a lot of the content.

But then there are the powerlevelers who apparently don't even care about the content, they just want to get to the maximum level for its own sake. To me, it seems like the game itself doesn't even matter, just find a game and get to the level cap as fast as possible. How anyone considers that fun is beyond me, but hey, they paid their money to play the game so whatever.

News Comments > Weekend Sales
15. Re: Weekend Sales Apr 24, 2009, 18:39 VoodooV

Wow, I already own HL2 and Portal, but 9.99 for the rest is still an awesome deal.

Thanks Steam, please continue educating the masses that lower prices for games means everyone wins!

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 24, 2009, 00:34 VoodooV

I'll be the first one to admit that I don't follow the DD-WRT community so I guess I don't understand the "controversy" but I can't help but to wonder if this is one of those articles where it's trying to manufacture a controversy when there isn't necessarily one.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 20, 2009, 23:39 VoodooV

I do like how they used the word "only" in some lame attempt to make it appear that MS is just barely managing to scrape by while the mean ole pirates keep picking on them.

aww...poor MS. I do hope they don't go bankrupt

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 17, 2009, 16:04 VoodooV

no, they're not the same...not one bit.

We're talking about basic crowd safety here.

They KNOW that these are popular items, they KNOW people fight over them and trample over people to get them, but few do little, if anything to prevent that.

You obviously can't stop people from fighting each other, but they can do something about the crowds because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that bad shit might occurr if you crowd a bunch of people together who want a popular item in small supply.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 16, 2009, 23:24 VoodooV

I just completely fail to understand why more stores don't establish a reservation or waiting list for popular games and consoles.

The whole business of standing in line at all hours is just ridiculous and flat out dangerous, people have fucking died over this shit. Companies need to step up and take some goddamned responsibility

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
59. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 22:09 VoodooV

I have to admit, that so far, the only real benefit of DD is that it's bringing old Abandonware games back into the market. Though on the other hand. Games that old shouldn't even be 10 bucks or 5 bucks...they really need to be even cheaper IMO. But anyway, really, what's the point of DD if a new game costs the same as a physical copy? I want DD to succeed, but they really need to start sweetening the pot a bit more than they have so far. I can patch a game myself and all the online extras they put in for multiplayer only benefit you.....if you even touch the multiplayer component..which a lot of people still don't do.

What I can't stand is all the fanboys of any given game that go "gee whiz, I would pay EVEN MORE for <insert game here> because I love it so much" Honestly, are you fucking retarded? I don't give a shit if the game comes with special electrodes that induce orgasms every time you level up or score a kill. Common Sense 101: Never pay more than you fucking have to!

Any consumer with half a brain should be arguing for lower prices regardless of how good a game is. It encourages competition, higher prices encourage greed and laziness and shortchanging consumers on content, nickle and diming people on DLC. The gaming industry can take care of itself, we don't need some apologist coming along and saying, "but gosh, if we don't throw money at them indiscriminately, they won't make any games" Gaming has been a niche market for a helluva lot longer than it's been mainstream. So we know the demand is there. All someone has to do is provide it..and they'll make money. People are starting to finally wise up and realize that better graphics don't necessarily make a better game, so that argument is crap too.

News Comments > Warren Spector on Game Prices
29. Re: Warren Spector on Game Prices Mar 30, 2009, 13:38 VoodooV

You are not going to get AAA quality for $20.

You will if it sells three times as much. And the data seems to be pointing to the idea that this will, in fact, happen.

I know I'm not alone when I say my gaming purchases have been severely curtailed since the move to 60 dollar games. I haven't bought a new game in a little over a year, and I plan to keep it that way for the forseeable future (with the possible exception of Mass Effect 2)

Higher prices also force me to research my games more so that I make sure I'm going to get my money's worth. let's face it, ever since games went mainstream, there has been a lot more crap out there as well as good games, not to mention games are apparently getting shorter and much less content.

If games were 20 bucks. I'd take a lot more chances and in all likelyhood, spend a lot more money.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Footage
29. Re: Mass Effect 2 Footage Mar 28, 2009, 23:14 VoodooV

dude, I think we all want that. But it is a wee bit soon to judge I think  

News Comments > Stardock's DRM Goo
8. Re: Stardock's DRM Goo Mar 25, 2009, 14:13 VoodooV

once again. Derek posts the obvious, then tries to claim credit for "calling it"  

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Details
20. Re: Was not impressed Mar 24, 2009, 00:42 VoodooV

success depends on loyalty eh?

Guess the influence system is back

News Comments > Assassin's Creed 24 Hour Sale
18. Re: Assassin's Creed 24 Hour Sale Mar 23, 2009, 14:03 VoodooV

How are the mouse and keyboard controls? Or does it play better with a gamepad?

I'd like to know this too, I've been thinking about buying the 360 version for a while now and i've always gotten the impression that the game was designed for the 360, but later ported to PC and I'd rather have the version the game was originally designed for.

But 9.99 is a steal

News Comments > Mass Market Makes Majesco Money
5. Re: Mass Market Makes Majesco Money Mar 13, 2009, 14:32 VoodooV

I'm glad they have some money. Because they owe us two more Advent Rising games  

News Comments > Newell on Piracy, Pricing, TF2 Comics, and More
69. Re: Newell on Pricing Feb 19, 2009, 15:19 VoodooV

If all games were bargain bin priced, I would be vastly more willing to "experiment" more with my gaming purchases. It wouldn't matter if a certain game wasn't in my favorite genre, because hey, it's cheap, if the game sucks I'm only out 15-20 bucks..big whoop.

But the way the games are now. I am force to wait for prices to come down, I am forced to scrutinize games more closely to find out what my peers (notice I didn't say reviews) think of the game before I consider buying because, guess what, I just lost a lot more money if the game turns out to stink.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo