Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Force Unleashed on PCs
25. Re: The Force Unleashed on PCs Jul 25, 2009, 13:47 VoodooV

You'd think that a big company like Lucas arts would hire people with some technical knowledge.

See, you have to make a choice. Either you can hire people with some technical knowledge, or you can hire a bunch of yes-men to stroke Lucas's ego.

You can't have both!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Mass Effect Sequels?
13. Re: Mass Mass Effect Sequels? Jul 15, 2009, 19:16 VoodooV

Mass Effect was a shallow game to you?

That's a bit of a stretch. Far be it for me to speak for him, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that that is not what he was implying

News Comments > Mass Mass Effect Sequels?
7. Re: Mass Mass Effect Sequels? Jul 15, 2009, 17:40 VoodooV

Yeah it always seems like the publishers have it backwards. They care about marketing first, content a far far second. Whereas we want the content and want the marketing to go away

If the game has content and high quality, marketing just doesn't fucking matter, If a game is that awesome, word of mouth will do all the work they need.

IMO, the obsession with marketing just signals to me that they know that their stuff isn't that great, thus the need to market it so much since word of mouth won't do it.

News Comments > Op Ed
36. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2009, 20:57 VoodooV

No, I didn't even bother reading the article, because it's always the same ole shit. No one ever points the finger at the real culprit, Greed and laziness.

It's the quest for money that has decided that consoles are cheaper and more profitable. It's the quest for money that has decided why make a complex game to a niche crowd when you can make a simple game for the masses. You can't exactly get a publisher to be straight about something like that so the excuse always given is "PIRACY PIRACY!!! ABLOO BLOO BLOO!!! I could have been even richer than I already am, and I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling pirates!!

Your purchasing habits are nothing but anecdotal evidence. "I buy only PC games, therefore PC gaming is not in decline" A does not lead to B, son. Look, I prefer PC gaming. I only play consoles because that's where the games are going. Sure many games come out on both consoles and PC, but for the most part, it's always pretty obvious that one platform was given more attention than the other, and that's usually the console platform so the game usually just plays better on the console. Mass Effect being one of the exceptions to that rule, however.

But seriously, this article is good for nothing than to stoke the PC v Console fanboi wars. This mentality that one is obviously better than the other does nothing but soothe the fragile egos of people who feel they need to justify their purchases.

Be the better person, go where the games go. Fuck the platform. I play both PC and Console and I love both, but it's obvious where things are heading and if you're ever in doubt all you have to do to learn the truth is to follow the fucking money.

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2009, 20:58.

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed Jul 10, 2009, 20:12 VoodooV

The reason PC games are dying is because the whole gaming industry went mainstream.

Why develop for the infinite variations of PCs out there when you can develop for a small, finite, number of platforms and save a lot of money?

If a company gets bigger and bigger, they demand more profits, which means niche genres that made money, but not ENOUGH money get axed.

Piracy is not the issue, never has, never will be. It's just a convenient scapegoat. No one really wants piracy to go away, or else DRM companies would be out of a job. There wouldn't be a boogeyman to scare publishers into buying the biggest, most annoying DRM out there. Piracy is cost of doing business. If it can be built up, someone will inevitably tear it down. That's life. So piracy is not an acceptable excuse for why PC gaming is in decline. When the next evolution in gaming occurs that replaces consoles, I'm sure people will blame piracy for the "death of consoles" too. Like I said, Piracy is just a convenient excuse.

It's the search for more profits that's hurting PCs the most.

News Comments > New MechWarrior
46. Re: New MechWarrior Jul 9, 2009, 19:55 VoodooV

The problem with the Mechwarrior 4/3 stats is that they only made a difference for the AI. Which was stupid regardless of whether it was green or elite. So it really made NO difference at all. No battle I can think of was ever decided based upon whether I brought a rookie along or a vet, But it should

But otherwise you're exactly right. Almost every mech game I can think of has always been about emphasising that the heaviest mech was ALWAYS the best mech which runs so completely counter to what Battletech was about.

Battletech was always about superior tactics, strategy, and out-thinking your opponent, not superior firepower and circle strafing. Almost chess-like if you will medium mechs could almost always beat a heavy mech if you had a skilled pilot facing an overconfident foe. I've played and liked all the MW games, but there has been this slow, constant progression towards making it into an action shooter. Screw that. I agree that Battletech should have a real-time, in the cockpit, perspective because resolving the old tabletop games was tedious and boring. But I want the feel of a heavily strategic game back. The MU* ASCII text art games had the perfect mix between real time action and table-top rpg mechanics. We need a game that updates that!

Building mech loadouts in the games was always about exploiting some shooter game mechanic. My memory is fuzzy, but wasn't MW2 all about who had the most small pulse lasers loaded or something like that? It became formulaic.

I want my strategy-centric Battletech back!

News Comments > LucasArts Gets Steam Heat
50. Re: LucasArts Gets Steam Heat Jul 9, 2009, 15:54 VoodooV

Its EXTREMELY unlikely we will ever see a remake of the tie fighter or x-wing games in the forseeable future. One issue that I hadn't thought of that someone brought up earlier was the whole joystick thing, that a lot of people nowadays dont have one, and its much harder to find one. So they'd have to develope a mouse control scheme and that would upset a lot of people.

I call bullshit. There is the XBOX gamepad and it rocks. I think you could make a good X-Wing game based on that controller.

Agreed, we already had a "discussion" on how relevant joysticks were to the death of the sim genre in the last thread and I also call bullshit on the argument. The joystick issue is just a convenient excuse and can be translated to: "we don't think we'll make enough money so we won't take the risk." People act like needing an extra peripheral is the kiss of death, which is ridiculous.

But I digress.

30. Re: agreed! Jul 9, 2009, 14:04 VoodooV

But the term SIM scares the crap outta most twitch players. Many mainstreamers equate the term "SIM" as meaning not fun. Those of us who use the term SIM, we use it to describe FEEL.... not minute detail realism.

Maybe those twitch players need to learn to broaden their horizons and not be scared of a stupid video game.

I'm sorry, but everyone has their favorite genres, but to ignore so many awesome games just because it isn't your favorite genre is just fucking stupid and you need to grow a little.

Just earlier today I was chastising a coworker of mine because she complains about how she doesn't have enough games to play. I told her that maybe she should try playing something other than just RPGs.

Fuck, I'm not a huge fan of RTS games, but if you ignore stuff like C&C or Red Alert or Dune just because of that, you're just shoving your head in the sand.

27. Re: New MechWarrior Jul 9, 2009, 13:59 VoodooV

If they can implement some solid RPG elements to this game and have it not be JAFS (Just Another Fucking Shooter) then I will be one happy little camper

As much as I love the idea behind the clans. I'm VERY happy they're setting this game prior to the clan invasion.

It's going to be extremely awesome to have scout mechs play a role other than fodder and like they said, to have the object of the game to just get the biggest baddest assault mech. That shit gets tired very quick.

Still VERY skeptical about this game, but cautious optimism has risen.

News Comments > LucasArts Gets Steam Heat
34. Re: LucasArts Gets Steam Heat Jul 8, 2009, 18:35 VoodooV

Am I being too paranoid to think we're simply not going to get a re-release of any of the Xwing/Tie Fighter games.

I just can't help to think that those are THE biggest games that people have wanted Lucasarts to re-release and if they were going to do it, they would have AT LEAST released one of them, like X-wing, followed later on by TIE fighter..etc.

I just keep thinking of all the times a company has said, oh we'll release more stuff later..and haven't

Like I said, hope I'm just being paranoid.

News Comments > Mechs Education
18. Re: Mechs Education Jul 7, 2009, 20:33 VoodooV

To be fair, Btech as an MMO is the perfect idea. It's just..It can't be anything like current MMOs or else it's going to suck balls.

OMG, we gotta go on a raid to get that phat lewt drop from that elite Clan Daishi!!

One instance of that and I would drop the game so fast. Problem is that it seems like you can't make a game anymore unless it caters to the lowest common denominator.

News Comments > Mechs Education
16. Re: Mechs Education Jul 7, 2009, 20:10 VoodooV

The third mech with the JJs seemed Jenner-like. but who knows.

But anyway, I have to echo the previous opinion that I hope the game is not just another bland shooter. We got enough of those thanks. Is it too much to hope that they learned their lesson with Shadowrun?

News Comments > Old School LucasArts Announcement Monday
97. Re: LucasArts News Monday Jul 7, 2009, 13:16 VoodooV

:: How does one even respond to something like this? Should I graph it out for you? How about I just go all caps?
FLIGHT SIMS STOPPED MAKING ENOUGH MONEY, THEREFORE THEY STOPPED BEING MADE. THEY'RE INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING TO DESIGN. IF THEY WEREN'T SELLING ENOUGH, AND THEY WERE NOT, THEY WOULD NOT BE MADE. BIG PUBLISHERS ARE NOT IN THE BUSINESS OF PLEASING THE SMALLEST AMOUNT OF PEOPLE. THEY ARE PUBLICALLY TRADED COMPANIES.

Fixed the part you conveniently continue to ignore and distract away from with your personal attacks.

I don't know what's funnier, your tirades, or the fact that your responses just end up restating my points and you just try and take credit for it.

Sims made money, joysticks were irrelevant, the simply didn't make ENOUGH money, nor did they have broad appeal. There was no decline in sales, just that they weren't enough to keep the greedy execs happy. That's the problem with mainstreaming an industry. Simply making a profit is not enough, you have to make big profits or get axed.

If you're one of those people that believe the bottom line is all we should care about, then fine, different strokes for different folks. But gamers as a whole are not corporate apologists like Beamer is apparently. But hey, keep it up beamer, keep cutting up my posts, make personal attacks about the stuff that you don't agree with, only to repost the stuff you do agree with and pass it off as it was your genius idea that only you came up with. You've got a lot of growing up to do kid.

All you have to do is pull your head out of the ass aka the accounting ledger to see that your typical gamer is slowly getting more and more turned off by these supposed AAA titles that have high cost, but low content. The more companies keep worshipping the bottom line, the more gamers are going to look for entertainment elsewhere.

93. Re: LucasArts News Monday Jul 6, 2009, 19:37 VoodooV

So that's a yes to the pretentious douchebag part then?

If your job is politician, then I'd say you're doing a good job, because I know of no other job description that involves insulting anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion, none of which has been backed up by anything remotely close to these little things called facts.

People didn't just abruptly stop buying sims at coincidentally the same time companies stopped making them. It's the other way around. Companies decided they weren't making enough money out of them, not that they weren't making money, but that they weren't making ENOUGH money, and stopped making them. Leaving gamers out in the cold...once again. All because our interests don't coincide with big enough profit margins.

It has nothing to do with joysticks. Case in point, racing games. People still buy them despite the need to buy an extra controller. Anyone with half a brain knows that racing games have broader appeal than sim games, thus, more games like that get made.

Not exactly rocket science there. But there you go, a little free education for you kid.

News Comments > LucasArts Classic Rereleases
17. Re: LucasArts Classic Rereleases Jul 6, 2009, 14:21 VoodooV

Might get Starfighter and Republic Commando as I heard they were pretty good. But I was never interested in the rest.

Needs more Xwing/TIE games/DarkForces, so keep going Lucasarts.

89. Re: LucasArts News Monday Jul 6, 2009, 14:10 VoodooV

Just so we're all on the same page, Beamer is acting like a pretentious douchebag who pretends to be far more knowledgeable about the gaming industry than he actually is.

Keep it up with the ad hom attacks, cuz that will get you SO far in life.

82. Re: LucasArts News Monday Jul 6, 2009, 12:35 VoodooV

This is one of the downsides of gaming becoming mainstream. Simply making a profit isn't enough anymore.  

81. Re: Old School LucasArts Announcement Monday Jul 6, 2009, 12:04 VoodooV

Please. If people are willing to shell out hundreds of bucks for ridiculous Guitar Hero and Rock Band peripherals. They're not going to bat an eye at a 20-50 dollar joystick.

Joysticks have never been the barrier to entry for flight/space sim games. At some point, some bean counter declared that they weren't making enough money from that genre and BAM suddenly no one made them anymore. It certainly wasn't because people weren't buying joysticks. Sure flight/space sims were a niche genre that did not have mass appeal. But they obviously made some money since they made them. It's just that they weren't making enough money to satisfy the execs

So has whatever it is been announced yet?

32. Re: Old School LucasArts Announcement Monday Jul 4, 2009, 17:35 VoodooV

Amazing news coming Monday! Super excited! You have no idea how tough it is not to start yelling about it! But it's secret! Until Monday!
I don't want to tease, it is just tough not to say anything! I might be tempted, however. Have to think about it over the weekend.

Okay, we will do hints. It is awesome news for our old school fans. (anything more direct might get me in trouble)

Monday, early, actually. I suppose if the president of the company messages me to leak it I would. Til then, it is teasing. Sorry guys.

Can this guy sound any more like a 10 year girl?

News Comments > MechDuels Launches
20. Re: hmmm... Jun 10, 2009, 08:41 VoodooV

I don't play AD&D so I wouldn't know.

But how else would you play Battletech? manual turn-based is fucking slow. But on the other hand, As much as I loved MW2, Battletech as a shooter is also ridiculously boring since it just turns into a goddamned circle strafe every time which Battletech is most definitely NOT.

MechCommander was actually a pretty damned good way to play Battletech, my only complaint is that it wasn't really faithful to the battletech rules, that and I didn't care for the lack of control when it cames to RTS. *I* want to shoot the guns and make the moves, not merely point my cursor to where I want my mech to go and everything else is done by the AI.

There was a heavy strategy element to Battletech that is missing in the shooter games, but turn-based just takes way too long, If there was ever a game that was meant to be a hybrid system of FPS and RPG, it's Battletech

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo