Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Tim

Real Name Tim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname VoodooV
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Apr 1, 2001, 15:53
Total Comments 712 (Apprentice)
User ID 9517

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 22, 2013, 14:58 VoodooV

I'm going back to PCs this cycle. I got a great deal of mileage out of the 360, but neither console has given me anything to be excited about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Consolidation
27. Re: Saturday Consolidation Jun 9, 2013, 13:41 VoodooV

Don't have to be paid to be a shill.

Of course who needs website shills when you can apparently get TV shows to write in Windows 8 ads into their shows like Arrow and that Elementary show, or Bones or Chuck for Subway. Or Smallville for shilling just about everything under the sun.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
23. Re: Evening Consolidation Apr 7, 2013, 00:47 VoodooV

I don't see the point of either console this cycle. Nothing has really fundamentally changed to make either compelling  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
12. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 23, 2013, 03:21 VoodooV

WinPE, ImageX, and the DISM command are all you need to create and deploy windows images  

News Comments > Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer
39. Re: Shadowrun Returns Alpha Gameplay Trailer Mar 10, 2013, 12:35 VoodooV

As far as I can tell, I can't make a donation through Kickstarter anymore, but is there any way to still contribute to the game?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 24, 2012, 23:28 VoodooV

Bodolza wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 12:49:
Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 10:41:
People despise change and hate it without giving it time to grow on them.

While true, I don't think it's relevant in this case. Just look at Windows 7. It was a major UI change from XP, but was largely embraced as a step up from XP almost immediately. Most people liked the interface redesign, like Aero and the new taskbar. People like change when it's seen as an improvement.

I think you're missing one key aspect though. XP was really getting long in the tooth when Win7 came out, that and the failure of Vista meant most people figured that 7 really was an improvement this time around.

Win7 really isn't that old compared to that, so people are hesitant to upgrade so soon, that and the meme of "every other Windows release sucks" has set in.

I'm sure Win8 does have some decent improvements, but the ModernUI isn't winning any friends and it's following a known good OS that is still relatively new.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
12. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 25, 2012, 08:28 VoodooV

I used to think I was a libertarian. But it seemed to me every time a politician claimed to be a libertarian, what he really meant was "I want to get away with selling the public things that I know are bad"

There's a reason I'm an independent now. When I was young, I thought I was a republican, but eventually realized that was wrong. I thought I was a democrat, and later realized that was wrong. You just really can't sum up the political philosophies of 300 Million+ Americians with just 2 major parties. It's ridiculous.

The founders were right be wary of parties. These parties may have been founded with good intentions, but they always seem to inevitably get hijacked by the psychopaths.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2012, 13:23 VoodooV

DOS is dead, use WinPE or SystemRescueCD if you need an alternative boot  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: New Internet Explorer 7 Tax Jun 15, 2012, 21:46 VoodooV

if you're going take such a strong stance on browsing security, why tax...just simply restrict commerce completely unless you have a modern browser.

Or are they afraid they they would lose too much business. So which is it? promoting computer safety? or promoting profit?

makes me wonder how many people will just pay the tax

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
19. Re: Evening Metaverse May 12, 2012, 09:49 VoodooV

The thing is, I sorta agree with him, but for the wrong reasons.

I love my video on demand. But I want *my* video library on demand, not *their* library.

It's pretty simple really. I still like to buy DVDs and other physical media, but I want to be able to legally rip these DVDs to my home network storage, then have the ability to cache or stream movies from my library to my laptop or mobile device.

I want my own independent library, I don't want to depend on netflix, or amazon, or any company other than my ISP to be able to access the content I buy.

And again, we run into that familiar scenario of people who want to do things above board get roadblocked by DRM and other nonsense. But the people who are willing to flip the bird to the law DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS SHIT. And we're just talking about people who want to rip only the dvds they own. I'm not talking about going to some P2P site and downloading shit you don't own.

Yeah, I like renting stuff from Netflix and watching some movies on Instant Watch, but I'd rather buy a physical dvd, rip it to my private library and then be able to watch it anywhere

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Apr 26, 2012, 13:15 VoodooV

not that he needs anyone to defend himself.

But you doth protest too much about Ms. Webb. You frame the argument as if he personally attacked Ms. Webb and that's not really what he's saying. Ms. Webb may be the exception, but she's not the general rule.

It's not just gaming media that does this, it's mainstream media that does this too or have you failed to notice the increasing amount of attractive women in news media who, generally speaking, don't know squat, but look good on camera.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 18, 2012, 00:32 VoodooV

I love Firefly...but stop trying to bring it back. It would never live up to fan expectations and it would cheapen the awesomeness of what was a great show.

apparently Fillion got fat or something too...no thanks.

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic Friends Trial Expands
12. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic Friends Trial Expands Apr 4, 2012, 13:58 VoodooV

I tend to be of the opinion that SWTOR is a fun game, it was just rushed out WAY too early. Everything in 1.2 should have been in release but the suits forced it out the door and it shows.

So if you're patient and can see long term, the game is worth it and a blast, but if you're impatient or just looking for your next fix, then you're just not going to stick with it.

And sadly, most people fall into the latter category.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 9, 2012, 11:16 VoodooV

I have no problem with this as I don't have a monthly cap, but as long as there are people with monthly caps there is going to be a backlash.

I don't see myself running out and getting the next Xbox right away anyway, but I'm a 30-something and my gaming time is ever decreasing and I still have a ton of games in my backlog for the 360.

I just want them to improve the xbox live service, even with my fat pipe, the download speeds are horrible and I just can't justify paying for gold anymore. The service needs to be free as they make a ton of money off DLC anyway I'm sure. especially if they want to compete with Steam.

But I want CONVERGENCE damnit! I'm sick of some of my games being on one platform, some of my games on another platform. If everything is going to be a service then there shouldn't be any reason I can't plug said service into my PC and play from there instead of a console or vice versa. But as someone else said, it's all about control, and you don't have control if you let people play their games anywhere or anyHOW they want to play it.

News Comments > The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial
11. Re: The Old Republic Patch Plans, Friends Trial Mar 7, 2012, 12:48 VoodooV

next evolution of the Legacy system?????

They haven't had a FIRST evolution yet, so I call BS on that.

Of course a brand new MMO still has bugs in it, duh, but yeah, It's still fun and I'm still playing it.

Yeah there are issues, every game has issues. It all just comes down to personal taste/preference. Or in other words, "Haters gotta hate" This notion that a game has failed if it goes to F2P is pretty silly. If the game failed, people wouldn't be playing it. F2P is merely a different business model.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
11. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2012, 13:48 VoodooV

both parties have been compromised by big business. The two party system needs to end.  

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 24, 2012, 14:51 VoodooV

Moore's Law was never a law in the first place.

It should have been called "Moore's very accurate speculation that has held up for a very long time" But that just isn't catchy now is it.

News Comments > The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed
33. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 20:47 VoodooV

you fail to acknowledge that crafting is not completely random. Or else blues wouldn't be so easy to craft and purples are so disproportionately harder..or broken.

and keep it up with the ad homs

30. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 20:04 VoodooV

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 17, 2012, 19:34:
I don't think your wanting to craft so much (and needing to feed that habit by farming mats and/or making enough money to pay for missions) means the game was designed for powerleveling... Crafting is completely optional, and none of the other professions are as time- and resource-consuming as armormech, so that's all on you.

Powerleveling is also optional.

I also like how you made a drug addict analogy in describing my playstyle .

see how some play styles are apparently more equal than others?

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2012, 20:11.

28. Re: The Old Republic: Rise of the Rakghouls Delayed Jan 17, 2012, 18:23 VoodooV

The problem I have with the whole "race to the cap" mentality is that it has permeated the whole MMO genre. It's not just simply a different playstyle anymore. It's become expected now so the game design revolves around the mentality that you want to level up as quickly as possible to get the most pain-free experience.

Twice now playing SWTOR I've wanted to pause in my leveling and work on crafting and gather the skills and the materials necessary to get the best armor I could for the level I was at. RE'ing a blue recipe to get a purple recipe is either broken or it's insanely difficult and the only way to make it less difficult is to increase your crafting skill, but at a certain point, you no longer get any crafting XP for crafting the items appropriate to your level and you need to start crafting stuff in the next tier to start getting experience again.

Well in order to craft the next tier of equipment, you need a new set of materials, and sure you can get those materials through missions but they are ridiculously expensive. the easiest way to get the mats is to go to the next planet, but then you'll start getting XP again and leveling up, which is what I was trying to avoid. I stopped for a week and actually paid the money to try and get the mats I need, but even though the things I was trying to RE no longer gave me XP, I was getting no success at getting the next level of recipe.

so even if you want to stop and smell the roses and and explore and work on crafting, There are mechanics in place that always egg you on to the next level. I feel I'm being punished because I stopped leveling for a week.

To me it seems me that the path of least resistance in this game is to level up much as possible and then go back and work on on exploring areas you couldn't get to earlier or can more easily get mats for crafting. The mentality that seems to infect this game is to not worry about getting good gear as you're leveling up, just keep leveling, just keep leveling until you hit cap THEN go back and get the good gear. But what about MY playstyle of not necessarily leveling up, but wanting to get the best gear for my current level. Sorry, we'll make that difficult, but we'll make it easy for you to quickly level up...oh wait, not I need more gear to match my level. It's an endless cycle and the only way for it to stop is to be at the level cap.

So IMO, you can't use the "power leveling is just the way I like to play" defense ...no, it's THE playstyle the game appears to cater to. it's not just one way to play, it appears to be THE way to play if you want the least amount of headaches and that's what I'm somewhat annoyed with. Now in SWTOR's defense, maybe that's not what they intended and all of what I've described. is just the result of a brand new game that hasn't been fine tuned and rushed out the door..then fine. I'm patient.

I don't see MMO games going out of their way to provide RP opportunities. I do see PvP balancing/tuning and Endgame content to be the focus of many if not all games. So you can't play the "it's just my playstyle" card when it's clearly the playstyle that dominates the game and gets the most attention compared to other playstyles.

It just reminds me of how religious people always seem to think that any criticism against them means that their religion is under attack and being victimized, when in reality, it's the dominating influence and in no danger of being marginalized/threatened.

This comment was edited on Jan 17, 2012, 19:25.

712 Comments. 36 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo