Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

News Comments > Fury Announced
4. Fury3 May 5, 2006, 20:01 Jim

That was a fun little time-waster game that came with Win95 back in the day. 3d gaming was still pretty revolutionary back then.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. going online for savings May 5, 2006, 19:59 Jim

I've had an ING Direct savings account for about 6 years now. I think it was 6.5% APY when I signed up, it dropped for a while, but its back over 4 now.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Yellowstone wireless expansion May 4, 2006, 08:00 Jim

Since the prior state was "no phone usage at all", I don't see a huge issue.

I think if you're going to allow towers to be put up to begin with, why bother limiting calls at all? I just don't see the point, especially when a phone with no service activation can connect with 911. I suppose if it costs that much more money to allow fully functioning service from the towers, then I could see the limiting of functions being viable.

I think the reason to not put phone service in the parks is 2-fold.

1. Unsightly towers.
2. Unsightly and "unsoundly" people talking on cell phones everywhere and annoying ring tones.

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
7. road work at Blue's May 4, 2006, 07:58 Jim

Blue, it would seem that by now you have stacked up a pretty lengthy list of reasons to find a residence a bit more rural--if only you could find one near the train station.

Jim

6. Re: Yellowstone wireless expansion May 3, 2006, 16:23 Jim

If you're out hiking and suffer an injury, having a cellphone could be a lifesaver. But that's about it.

Hikers more than 10 years ago didn't have the luxury of phone service either. The chances of something that critical happening are quite slim. And if it does, let 'em find my bones out there.

Jim

2. Yellowstone wireless expansion May 3, 2006, 10:41 Jim

I think that if people can't live without out phone service for the few hours or days that they visit a National Park, then they shouldn't be in the park. If you need to make a phone call that bad, go to the ranger station or visitor center.

National Parks should be places free of all the crap that fills our everyday lives. What's next, Wifi at the parks?

I was in NM last week and it was funny to see people flipping open their cell phones at Chaco Culture NHP. "nope, no service out here!" None in Carlsbad Caverns either.

Jim

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: No subject Apr 21, 2006, 10:51 Jim

I think it was a befitting finale that Scott died while living his passion. Better then to wither away at a nursing home.

On a lighter note, I'll be taking to the skies tomorrow for our annual trek to the American Southwest- this time to the Land of Enchantment, New Mexico:

http://www.theskyscrapers.org/contentmgr/showdetails.php/id/3469

Jim

News Comments > New Games at E3
22. E3 Apr 19, 2006, 21:35 Jim

I hate to say it but I've lost all enthusiasm for E3.

Maybe Flight Simulator X will attact my interest, but nothing on this list does.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: forced ad viewing Apr 19, 2006, 12:18 Jim

You know, nobody is forcing you to sit there and watch TV. It is possible to lead a life without TV. I've been TV-free since 1998. You might not feel like much of an American anymore, but you will be free...

I know that my TV viewing has definatly decreased in recent years, and not because of commercials. There's just less and less worth watching. I've got the local news, the Red Sox channel, and the Science channel.

Even stuff I used to like watching all the time like History and Discovery has resorted to crap programming. OK they have the occasional good program, but not very often.

Jim

8. Re: Fast food healthiest in Denmark, wor Apr 16, 2006, 16:03 Jim

Food manufacturers[...]

Am I the only one who has uneasy feelings about food being considered "manufactured"?

Jim

10. Re: picture if you will, a Moron Apr 15, 2006, 10:55 Jim

He also notes that he is no longer "permitted or able to give educational motivational speeches and presentations."

Gee, I wonder why?!

"Hmm, I just discharged a pistol in this classroom. Hey, assistant, hand me that machinegun if you will..."

Jim

9. Re: picture if you will, a Moron Apr 15, 2006, 10:53 Jim

"I'm the only one in this room professional enough, that i know of, to carry this Glock .40, i'm the only...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MeGD7r6s-zU&search=DEA%20gun%20shoot%20funny

god. what an incompetent fool. just unfckingbelievable.

The video itself was amusing, but the fact that he JUST GOT FINISHED SAYING "I'm the only one in this room professional enough to carry a Glock .40"... priceless.

There's more...
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0411061foot1.html

Yeah when I saw that I thought, too bad he only shot himself in the foot and not in the skull.

Jim

26. Re: Hot water heater Apr 14, 2006, 16:16 Jim

f it makes you feel any better Blue, in the four years that I've owned my house I've had to

Replace all the kitchen appliances
Replace the oil furnace/heater
Have my septic tank reseated
Replace both garage doors and door openers
Re-side the house
Replace the deck and front porch
Rewire part of the house
Replace the water pump, the tank and the softener

Now some of these we didn't have to do right away but knew they needed to be done within a couple of years of the original purchase. However, most were needed due to failure.

Well I hope you bought the house at least knowing it was a fixer-upper.

Its stuff like this that makes me want to have the next house I own to be custom built rather than buying something existing. One BIG home "improvement" project up front rather than a bunch of smaller ones continuosly ongoing.

Jim

15. 1500 Apr 14, 2006, 13:22 Jim

What's the award for 1500th post?
This comment was edited on Apr 14, 13:23.

Jim

1. Fast climber Apr 14, 2006, 10:10 Jim

Holy crap. I would guess he's climbed that face several hundred times to know it that well.

Jim

2. Re: damn blue... Apr 13, 2006, 14:19 Jim

Everybody on vacation this week? Not much going on here.

Jim

1. iPod vending machines at airports Apr 13, 2006, 11:21 Jim

Not sure if anyone would be so desparate for an ipod that they'd spend $800 for one-- given that everything you buy at the airport costs at least twice as much as it does elsewhere.

Jim

News Comments > Ultimate Baseball Online 2006 Announced
5. Re: No subject Apr 13, 2006, 10:01 Jim

Enter BARRYBONDS while on the on-deck circle to enable the steroids cheat.

Jim

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: Into the Black Apr 11, 2006, 08:03 Jim

What? No Into the Black?

I came here to post the same question. Wasn't sure where to post.

Jim

39. browser compatibility Apr 10, 2006, 08:02 Jim

This is a good tool to check code with:

http://validator.w3.org/

As for tables, they've been around for ages so you don't have ot do anything fancy to ensure that they work with all the browsers out there. Just simple markup and style them with CSS.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 50.
< Newer [ 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo