Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. bye week Oct 24, 2011, 12:34 Jim

Pats were on bye as well, but I did watch a a little bit of the other games. I wish the Denver/Miami game was on locally, as that was the game to watch. And yeah, I knew that the Colts were going to lose in New Orleans, but that huge disparity just proves how one-dimensional the Colts are.  
Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
14. top 10 DOS games Oct 23, 2011, 11:06 Jim

I didn't see Wing Commander on that list. And WOW we sure put up with shitty graphics back in those days. I remember asking someone once why I needed a separate "video card" when I was thinking of upgrading my PC. Then the thought of running games in Windows seemed unpure. You're wasting resources, just boot to DOS using your custom autoexec.bat and config.sys  
Jim

20. Texas agency censors scientific report to remove references to reality Oct 19, 2011, 15:37 Jim

Which is why I think Rick Perry should go pound sand, and Go Cardinals.  
Jim

16. the movie camera Oct 14, 2011, 13:22 Jim

It always saddens me a bit to read about another long-established analog tech being relegated to the history books. While a small part of it is nostalgia, my biggest concern is that the more stuff we create on digital medium only, the more likely it becomes that it will be lost since there is no physical record of it. Hence I worry that we are heading towards an inevitable "Digital Library of Alexandria" scenario unless we can find ways to mass-archive a lot of this stuff.

Jim

49. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 13, 2011, 22:02 Jim

Dades wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 21:24:
Firebug and a copy of notepad++ are probably more compliant and fully featured than using Frontpage. I can't even remember if Frontpage had basic CSS support or not, its so outdated that Microsoft won't even support it anymore. There has to be better WYSIWYG editors these days too. Sometimes its worth switching tools when it benefits your workflow in the long run and allows you to save time.

I've been using EditPlus for about 8 years. It's not WYSIWYG but I have amassed a lot of template code over the years that I can quickly paste in. I have occasionally had to deal with code produced in Front Page (it's been a long time since), but the absolute WORST WYSIWIG editor used to be Dreamweaver. From what I gather newer versions are improved, but I recall having to debug code that produced a site even simpler in layout than Blues News that consisted of a 20 column table, custom tags and all. The web has certainly become a much kinder place since then, but now it's Microsoft that is the most despised player on the web by leaving their antiquated browsers festering for eons.

Jim

44. Re: Chrome Oct 13, 2011, 19:33 Jim

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 14:45:
Blue wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 14:08:
Jim wrote on Oct 13, 2011, 14:01:
Blue, I had mentioned this a couple times in the past, but could you kindly remove link underlines in your CSS? This would make this site much easier to read in Chrome and go a long way in getting me to finally ditch Firefox.

Thanks

I'm sorry, but there are no plans to do this. For most users underlined links are considered standard, so removing them is a problem for more people than leaving them. If there were something I could add or remove from the CSS to make underlines optional, I would gladly do that.

Also, the underlining makes it easy to read for colorblind users who may not pick up the color changes, and while links are bolded, a lot of other text that aren't links is also bolded.

No colorblindness here fortunately, but extremely near-sighted. I guess I'll have to keep Firefox around just for reading Blues News.

This is the only site that I visit regularly that forces them, and as a web developer (13 years) I don't recall one incident where this became an issue.

Jim

24. Chrome Oct 13, 2011, 14:01 Jim

Blue, I had mentioned this a couple times in the past, but could you kindly remove link underlines in your CSS? This would make this site much easier to read in Chrome and go a long way in getting me to finally ditch Firefox.

Thanks

Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Microsoft attack campaign Oct 12, 2011, 12:43 Jim

The irony is that it is Microsoft that is perpetuating the use of obsolete and unsafe browsers by not offering upgrades to users on XP. Firefox and Chrome keep you up to date automatically regardless of OS or version.  
Jim

News Comments > id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms
69. Re: id On RAGE "Cluster!@#$" and Lead Platforms Oct 8, 2011, 01:09 Jim

id's heyday is long over. They can keep their console crap. I won't be buying it.  
Jim

News Comments > Portal 2 Free DLC Released, Midweek Sale
15. Re: Portal 2 Free DLC Released, Midweek Sale Oct 4, 2011, 19:24 Jim

elefunk wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 16:01:
Fibrocyte wrote on Oct 4, 2011, 14:56:
Hmmm... This is a good deal. I've been waiting for a sale on Portal 2. I wonder if it is worth this price...
Portal 2 is the best game released all year and is well worth full price.

So true.

I was hoping the DLC would be single player missions though.

Jim

News Comments > RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers
51. Re: RAGE Reviews - PC Users Raging - ATI RAGE Drivers Oct 4, 2011, 12:57 Jim

Does it run on Mac OS?  
Jim

News Comments > John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release
39. Re: John Carmack at Mesquite Midnight RAGE Release Oct 1, 2011, 22:54 Jim

How times have changed. This will be the first id game I'm not buying on the day it comes out. I guess it's a combination of not getting overly excited about game releases anymore and the fact that I no longer spend crazy $$$ to keep a gaming PC up to spec in order to run the latest.

That being said, I did buy Portal 2 the day it came out.

Jim

10. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 1, 2011, 22:03 Jim

October and still feels like August. At least it didn't rain on our annual AstroAssembly party at the observatory.  
Jim

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 13:21 Jim

Blue, I do have a site improvement suggestion, if you could update the CSS to add this:

a{text-decoration:none;}

When I switched to Chrome I found that all of the links on this site have underlines, which adds much clutter and difficulty in skimming. Unfortunately Chrome doesn't give me the option to disable them in the preferences, like every other browser does.

Jim

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 29, 2011, 13:11 Jim

I think I mentioned this in the past, but I'm a "bottom-up" reader when it comes to reading this site. I start with OotB and scroll up. Please don't change a thing.  
Jim

News Comments > AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! Sequel Revealed
10. Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! Sequel Revealed Sep 28, 2011, 09:27 Jim

Bludd wrote on Sep 28, 2011, 08:29:
Game is not fun, next!

Do you mean it is ZzzzzZZzzzZZZzzZZZZzZZZZZ???

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
17. Re: Into the Black Sep 28, 2011, 08:47 Jim

I tend to skim the gaming headlines, and am more likely to read the tech news stories.

Thanks for your continued efforts keeping this site up, Blue!

Jim

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 17, 2011, 12:19 Jim

If MS is simplifying the Windows interface, this is long overdue. I was once a PC geek, but not so much anymore (still a geek in other fields though). When I turn on the computer, I just want to get my work done, not fuck around with settings or try to sift through all of the control panels, which seem to be getting more convoluted each version of Windows MS puts out. The screen shots of the Win8 control panel look nice. FINALLY they get it, simpler is better. Also nice to see they got rid of all the gaudy icons and 3D/translucent crap.

What concerns me though is that I still haven't seen much in the way of application interfaces and managing the file system. Stuff that I'm spending 99% of my time doing. I don't care if you put facebook on the start screen, is file management any better? The article implies that it will be more or less hidden and use of the term "classic" doesn't make me feel confident that they will fix any of the longstanding annoyances I've had with it.

This comment was edited on Sep 17, 2011, 12:25.

Jim

14. A Gallery of Underwhelmed Onlookers in Video Games Sep 16, 2011, 11:52 Jim

Wow, nothing says awesome user experience on the web like waiting 10 seconds for a page to load so you can look at 2 images, then clicking a next button and waiting 10 seconds for the next 2 images. I would love to see their analytics reports to see what percentage of users actually make it past page 2...  
Jim

38. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2011, 15:01 Jim

The Wing Commander series was great, but I have found that in nearly all cases when I had gone back to play a game from yesteryear, the replay experience didn't even come close to living up to the nostalgia of remembering the first play all those years ago. I'll pass.  
Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo