Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: what orbits the earth? Feb 4, 2007, 16:09 Jim

ROFL

No kidding...the results when he polled the audience were a riot...

WOW!

Yeah, the human race is fucked if we don't even know something so simple. And it was the $1500 (euro) question too, not the 100 one.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. The Big Game Feb 4, 2007, 11:41 Jim

My pick is for the Colts, 27-24 (by a Vinatieri FG in the last minute of the game).

Jim

3. Nobody tells this wookie what to do Feb 3, 2007, 18:16 Jim

lol

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
4. O2 baloon + microwave = BOOM Feb 2, 2007, 08:09 Jim

Now they need to scale this experiment up to Mythbusters level by filling a weather baloon with O2 and taking the magnetron out of a high power microwave and setting it off at that abandoned airfield.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 08:09.

Jim

50. Re: Boston Publicity Ploy Leads to 2 Ar Feb 1, 2007, 17:08 Jim

see people like that constantly when I'm going to fly, both in the terminal and on the plane. So what, now I have to assume that some security guards are going to swoop down and scoop some of them up because they look "suspicious."

On a recent flight I took, I was seated next to a young woman. She was very nice and polite, but she was obviously afraid to fly; probably the worst I've seen is person (not a cliche character from TV, but still full-fledged frightened).

She later admitted to me me that she's afraid to fly, but she's trying to get over it. We spoke a fair bit on the long flight, and I have to say it's the first time I didn't mind the person next to me talking to me on a flight. So what, now a friendly and kind woman has to have even more stress put on her while trying to fly?

Reminds me of a funny thing that happened during my trip to New Mexico last year.

There are 24 in our group going on the trip, and we're flying Southwest. Some people sat together, others (like me) just grabbed a window seat. Wheels up at 6:30am, we're basically the first flight out of Providence. I'm on vacation, going to spend a week in one of the most beautiful parts of the country, and I'm going for a plane ride. What could be better? I plan to order a Heineken when the flight attendant comes around, as I usually do when I'm flying somewhere-- hey, I'm on vacation, ANY time is fair game to have a beer, right? Funny thing was a couple came in and sat next to me, and during the pre-flight announcements, when they mentioned "beer and cocktains available, yadda yadda yadda" I could hear her say to him "If anyone wants a drink this early in the morning..." I chuckled a bit and couldn't wait to hear their reaction when the time came. So we take off and a few minutes later I'm ordering a beer. She leans over and whispers something in his year, but unfortunately I couldn't hear. I'm sure they knew I heard them talking about it before we took off because they weren't trying to be too discreet about it.

Edit: They never said a word to me the whole flight (well, it was only a 1.5 hr flight anyway-layover in Chicago).

This comment was edited on Feb 1, 17:21.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Vista has speech recognition hole Feb 1, 2007, 13:11 Jim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6320865.stm

It turns out all that eye candy really didn't fix the security problems after all.

Jim

24. RIPs Feb 1, 2007, 12:53 Jim

Lots of RIPs lately. Besides Barbaro, I've not heard of any of the last 2 weeks' worth before their passing, and one was even an astronomer!

Jim

22. Re: Boston Publicity Ploy Leads to 2 Ar Feb 1, 2007, 12:33 Jim

Caution and being careful is different from blatant stupidity and handling the situation wrong. This is becoming so absurd I

I agree. For pete's sake the things didn't even look like bombs. They looked like lite-brite, for anyone who is old enough to remember that art toy. If I was walking around Boston and saw the things, I would have just shrugged it off as nother prank my them crazy MIT students.

In the same vain, last night on NBC Nightly News they were talking about passengers being vigilant in airport terminals and mentioned that people should speak up if they see someone sweating or looking nervous or unvomfortable because they could be terrorists. Has the phobia of flying suddenly disappeared, or changed the way people react to it? I know a few people who don't like flying, or the whole travel experience in general. No, now they're terrorists. WTF.

Jim

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. idsoftware Jan 31, 2007, 13:12 Jim

Wow, I can remember the days when idsoftware.com was one of my almost daily website visits. I can't remember the last time I had been at their site now. Strange how they're barely relevant in PC gaming nowadays. No one even talks about Doom 3 or Quake 4 on the boards here, and Q3A used to be THE game everyone played.

Somewhere between Q3 and D3 they jumped the shark, but I wonder what exactly did it in for them...

edit spelling
This comment was edited on Jan 31, 13:13.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Apple payout lifts Creative's Q2 earning Jan 31, 2007, 13:08 Jim

Creative Technology, one of Singapore's top electronics firms, has said it returned to profitability in the second quarter to December from a first quarter loss, lifted by a 100-million dollar patent payment from US rival Apple

To summarize, SELL!

Jim

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
1. Stalker Jan 31, 2007, 13:04 Jim

Screenshots are great and all, but how 'bout a DEMO?

Jim

News Comments > Site Seeing
9. No subject Jan 30, 2007, 09:01 Jim

has received a frame-off restoration

By that I assume that means they ditched frames from their site (been years since I've looked at their site so I don't remember), but if that's the case- welcome to the 21st century.

Hopefully in the next update they get rid of those annoying dots (as in S dot T dot A dot L dot K dot E dot R dot) and just call it STALKER (or better yet, Stalker).

Jim

6. weekend Jan 26, 2007, 12:02 Jim

Have a good trip. Hopefully you're off to someplace warmer than it's been here (I think they said it was 3F in Providence this morning).

Jim

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Patriots
15. Re: Terrorists? Jan 24, 2007, 07:53 Jim

Please. Anyone that feels more threatened by "terrorists" than their own government obviously isn't paying attention.

Um, don't you mean "tur'rists"? I believe that's the correct pronunciation, its only 1 and a half syllables.

Jim

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Patriots
2. :( Jan 23, 2007, 21:51 Jim

Unfortunately the only shipping ahoy the Patriots are doing is not to Super Bowl XLI.

Edit: It was a good game tho.

This comment was edited on Jan 23, 21:51.

Jim

15. Only in Rhode Island... Jan 23, 2007, 13:46 Jim

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/01/23/talking.trees.ap/index.html

BOSTON, Massachusetts (AP) -- A bookkeeper for a construction materials company embezzled $6.9 million and used the money to go on a shopping spree that included a 104-acre ranch and a half-dozen talking trees like those in "The Wizard of Oz," federal authorities said Monday.

Prosecutors say Angela Buckborough Platt also bought eight show horses; a fleet of motor vehicles including a 1964 Ford Thunderbird; a house on five acres in Rhode Island; Hollywood-grade cinematic props to decorate her home for Halloween; and a life-size ceramic statue of Al Capone.

Samantha Martin, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office, said that when friends or relatives asked Platt about her wealth, she told them that she was the CEO of a corporation or that she and her husband had won the lottery.

Platt, 43, of Wyoming, Pennsylvania, was charged Monday with one count of interstate transportation of stolen property. She has agreed to plead guilty in a deal subject to court approval, Martin said.

Platt, formerly of Cumberland, Rhode Island, worked as a staff accountant for J&J Materials Corp. in Rehoboth from 1999 to 2006.

Authorities say that in June 2000, Platt began to write checks from company accounts to herself. The weekly deposits initially ranged from $2,000 to $5,000 but eventually neared $50,000, prosecutors said.

Her theft was discovered in June by another bookkeeper who had been newly hired to assist her.

"I'm not going to say anything one way or another, other than to say there is a plea agreement," said Platt's attorney, R. Bradford Bailey.

Martin said the agreement calls for Platt to spend between 46 and 57 months in prison.

J&J owner John Ferreira said he has received about $2 million in restitution so far, most of it in real estate, cars, horses and other items. He said Platt always seemed like a good employee.

"I'm angry, disappointed," Ferreira said. "She hurt a lot of people."

Jim

15. Re: Jan 21, 2007, 10:49 Jim

Go Pats!

Jim

3. Cake printer barfs up error-messages Jan 20, 2007, 10:05 Jim

LOL

Edit; Post 1776!
This comment was edited on Jan 20, 11:38.

Jim

1. winter weather Jan 19, 2007, 11:23 Jim

We were supposed to get a relatively light snow-to-rain mix overnight into this morning. Roads were practially dry this morning. I don't think we've seen more than 2 inches of snow total this season, but it certainly has been cold lately. I think we had 10 degrees F for the first time in nearly a year the other day.

Jim

12. Re: damn - Jan 19, 2007, 11:16 Jim

Go get a 25 ft snake - hmmm, wtf? Won't go very far, but it isn't hitting anything that will unclog.

After lots of assemble disassemble of the trap under the sink (and tons of plunging) I finally got pissed enough to figure it was ok to burn the motor out of my shopvac if it didn't suck it out.

A good solid 1.5 minutes on the downspount under the sink, and I hear a nice schlurp and the hose on the shopvac shakes like crazy.

It wouldn't snake out, plunge out, but could be vac'd out? Never hard of that before. I figure if the snake won't do it, nothing would.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 36.
< Newer [ 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo