Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Play link Feb 16, 2007, 11:21 Jim

Warning, Particles is a browser bomb (opens endless tabs in Firefox and you can't get out of it).

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Woohoo Feb 15, 2007, 14:00 Jim

'm back on the grid!!

We moved three weeks ago, and I haven't been able to get any internet access of any kind, until I found some local outfit that does internet over a radio/AP signal. Seems to work fine, although it's brutally expensive.

Welcome back! Hope the move went well.

But at least I can get on again. What'd I miss? When's Supreme Commander coming out?

I was starting to get the fucking shakes not being able to get online at home

3 weeks? Hmmm, I don't know. I fell lost when Blue's goes down for half a day, can't imagine 3 weeks!

Jim

43. Re: No subject Feb 15, 2007, 07:20 Jim

I have $100 here with your name on it towards a board upgrade. With IP blocking and other neat toys.

Help me help you.

And I'd be happy to pitch in time and effort in helping with the upgrade...

Got PHP/MySQL? I'll see if I can work up a solution too.

How much traffic does this site get monthly?

Jim

41. Re: No subject Feb 14, 2007, 23:27 Jim

Blue, normally I don't complain about this stuff, but for christ sake, ban the fucker already. Enough is enough!

Jim

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: SETI Gets Guy Sacked Feb 14, 2007, 10:19 Jim

The message from the manager who sacked him is pretty funny. The guy who got sacked should have asked permission before using the company's resources overnight so he only has himself to blame.

True, but firing him without first a warning seems a bit harsh.

Jim

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. SETI Gets Guy Sacked Feb 14, 2007, 08:37 Jim

Wow. I guess they're not allowed to play games at work there either.

Jim

22. Re: Deranged Optician Feb 12, 2007, 07:39 Jim

Glad the cops took care of that jackhole.

I laughed when they showed up, and he did the same shit to them...glad they stepped in, and the asshole got what he deserved.

Yeah they should have just shot him. Problem solved.

Any why the hell does CNN video on the web (or just about any major news outlet for that matter) stretch their videos so that everyone looks like they have fat heads? I see a lot of TVs in pubs doing this also. Strange how crappy cell phone videos on youtube don't even do it.

Jim

4. Nice Feb 11, 2007, 15:33 Jim

Return to normal spacing... doesn't look so "empty" anymore.

Jim

13. Re: Spacing Feb 9, 2007, 13:27 Jim

In my humble opinion, the spacing seems to do no more than increase the size of the page without adding additional content.

It's similar to when one of my students hands in a paper that has clearly had the margin size, font size, and spacing increased enough to meet the page requirement without having to do any additional writing. It's an overabundance of blank space; In other words, it looks padded.

My thoughts the same. It doesn't really make it harder to read, it just doesn't "look" right. I guess it could be years of reading the other format, but I think it is more of a disproportional amount of space vertically, whereas in order to balance it out, other things should be increased slightly as well. The left margin could use another 10-20px, the blue headlines could get bumped up by 2-3px, and the line-height could afford another 2 pixels and it wouldn't look so bad anymore.

Edit: it should be noted that I'm in the business of web development so I tend to be highly critical of stuff like this, more so than most.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 13:29.

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Re: Anna Nicole Smith Feb 9, 2007, 10:46 Jim

ugh - and I was hoping everything would just die with her. She is so annoying. Drug OD for sure. Good riddance to bad rubbish. Hopefully the family of the old guy can now move on with their lives.

Yeah I don't like to be disrepectful when someone dies, but my sentiments are pretty much the same.

She certainly was not a role model for an upstanding American citizen.

Jim

52. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 22:43 Jim

This is because most of the industrial flushers out there swirl the water into the toilet with sufficient force and turbulence to literally aerosolize some of the fecal matter in the bowl, dispersing it into the air.

I've heard of this with the toilets in your home also. There's a recommendation out there somewhere that you shouldn't keep your tooth brush closer than 2 meters from your toilet.

Jim

39. Re: No subject Feb 8, 2007, 17:16 Jim

It's just a good time to wash your hands, period. You touch so many things on a regular basis, why not just wash them post pee? It's just good hygeine.

While I usually wash my hands after a restroom visit, I think its mostly a feelgood thing to do rather than useful in terms of hygeine. Think about what you do when you wash your hands: 1. dirty hands: open the faucet. 2. rinse/soap/rinse. Hands now clean. 3. close faucet...WAIT A MINUTE- that's the same faucet you just touched with dirty hands. So you just "undid" your handwashing. 4. Grab a towel (many restrooms have manually activiated towel dispenser, so another dirty contact point. So unless the towels have hand sanitizer on them (nearly all do not), you've really done nothing. 5. open restroom door and waslk out. Well there goes another dirty contact.

Unless the restroom is completely touch-free, you're really not cleaning your hands at all, just transferring the germs from one contact point to another. And personally speaking, I find those touch free sinks annoying. You stick your hands under them, nothing happens, so you start fiddling around under the faucet and even start touching stuff to see what activates the water- OH there it is. FIVE WHOLE MOLECULES OF WATER get ejaculated out of the faucet then it shuts off again. WTF. Hold your hands there and wait some more and see if the next squirt (when it eventually comes) is actually enough to get your hands wet. Ok, how many more shots of rediculously little water will it take to rinse the soap? Three is pretty much the minimum, SSST... wait... SSSHT... wait... ah fuck it, I'm going to dry off and get out of here already, I got better things to do, plane to catch, whatever... I understand the importance of conservation and all, but be reasonable.

Plus you're handling your dick, dude.

Well at least I know where my dick has been, which is always cleaner than where my hands have been.

Jim

11. Re: spacing Feb 7, 2007, 21:14 Jim

If you want to separate the stories more clearly, I would recommend having a very subtle but defined different background/border around each story (different relative to the page). Something like so:
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/images/snapout.jpg
Minus the extra spacing that is now there.
IMHO

I prefer the way it was yesterday. Simple, no extra spacing (spacing makes it look more disconnected).

Jim

11. new template changes Feb 7, 2007, 16:49 Jim

Am I imagining things or is Blue messing around with the CSS? I'm seeing big gaps between all the headers now.

Jim

6. Re: No money in NASCAR?? Feb 7, 2007, 08:07 Jim

I really don't "get" NASCAR either. Most exciting thing about it is when there's a smack-up.

If go-fast-turn-left by itself is so appealing, then why does no one pay attention to the National Championship Air Races in Reno? Its billed as the world's fastest motor sport and you have to go out of your way to find any info on it -www.airrace.org (and only hear about it outside of its own camp when there's a crash).

Jim

News Comments > IL2-Sturmovik: 1946 Patch
5. Re: IL2 Feb 7, 2007, 07:55 Jim

I reinstalled IL-2 Forgotten Battles a few months ago. I never play the campaign modes, just like flying around and the quick mission builder.

I haven't played any of the other variants of the game, not sure if my aging PC could handle them.

Jim

News Comments > Shooters: The Eyes Have It
4. No subject Feb 7, 2007, 07:53 Jim

"Double kill!"
"Multikill!"

"Jim is dominating!"

Its all about the awards!

Jim

5. Re: werd up Feb 6, 2007, 11:43 Jim

Oh god, they let the bitch out!
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/06/astronaut.arrested/index.html

Yeah unbelievable. I think she should be fired, period. No "suspesion from active duty", no "pending review", or even "she's going to rehab" crap. This is very unbecoming of an astronaut and we do NOT want our space program to look like an episode of Jerry fucking Springer.

Pack your shit and get out of here, NOW.

Jim

14. Re: No subject Feb 6, 2007, 07:48 Jim

Wow! How fucked is this???

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/orl-bk-nasaastronaut0507feb05,0,6104316.story

Hello! We have a loony on the shuttle!

Must be part of a new rehab program (since rehab is all the rage these days):

From astronaut to trailer trash in just 6 months!

This comment was edited on Feb 6, 07:50.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Netscape 9? Feb 5, 2007, 13:30 Jim

WTF. I didn't even know Netscape 8 existed until a couple of weeks ago when a client mentioned that their site was outta whack in it. Turns out it emulates IE6 by default, and rather poorly at that.

I don't think Netscape has had a decent web browser since version 3, so the best thing they could do would be to throw in the towel and stop shitting out lousy browsers. Who uses them nowadays anyway? People just grab Firefox or Opera if they don't want IE.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 35.
< Newer [ 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo