Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
9. Re: Guy catches glasses with his face. May 9, 2007, 23:07 Jim

Yeah. Reminds me of the ping pong(?) ball shots video a couple of guys made... lots of takes.

haha you mean this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgDiT5xYylo

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Guy catches glasses with his face. May 9, 2007, 21:10 Jim

I call fake. I just don't see how the physics of that would work. Maybe by chance after 100 takes...

Jim

News Comments > Out of the Blue
27. Halo 2 at the Planetarium May 8, 2007, 18:11 Jim

I've always wanted to flight simulate in the Omni Theater at the Boston Museum of Science.

Jim

1. No subject May 6, 2007, 13:08 Jim

One is the boy who recited three excerpts from presidential speeches from memory ... JFK's speech about going to the moon

That's great. Besides the Gettysburg Address that was my favorite presidential speech. Its good to know at least some kids are being exposed to some good history education.

Nixon's "I am not a crook,"

Haha. Surprised he didn't have Reagan's "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" instead.

The funny part was he actually did a passable Kennedy impersonation for those quotes.

They should have casted him for the move 13 Days, where the actor playing JFK didn't sound close the real JFK.

Jim

8. Re: Broken May 4, 2007, 07:44 Jim

So how did you break it? Be generic ...

Well ya see, there was a pressure point, and one part of the bone went this way, and the other part went that way.

Seriously though, heal well Cutter, and good luck getting your legal issue resolved. Being on the 60-day DL, so to speak, this time of year has got to suck.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Optimum Apr 27, 2007, 12:18 Jim

Isn't this the third time that a ship date and price has been announced? And every time the date moves further into the future and the price moves further into the ridiculous.

By the end of the year it will cost over 2 grand. Hell it ALREADY is slated to cost more than a computer does.

Sell it for under $200 and I may be interested.

Jim

2. Happy Anniversary Blue! Apr 27, 2007, 10:41 Jim

Hope you have a good one.

If you have no plans for tomorrow you may want to go check out the North East Astronomy Forum.
http://www.rocklandastronomy.com/neaf/

I think this is pretty close to your neck of the woods. A few people from our gooup are going. I may be going as well but am not sure yet.

Jim

18. "Earth-like" planet Apr 25, 2007, 17:45 Jim

Ok this is all over the press now and as us science types know, the press often twists it a bit to make it sound like something it isn't.

Up until now, "Earth-like" has been a term used to describe a planet which, if placed in our solar system, would be closest to Earth in mass and relative distance from its parent star to make the surface temperature similar to that of the Earth.

Other than mass and distance to its parent star, we know little of this "Earth-like" planet.

In the next few years as more new telescopes such as LBT come online, we may be able to derive the spectra of individual planets (separately from their parent star), and possibly even the diameter by using stellar disk transits. This would give us a rough guess at the density of the planets. Knowing the density and contents of the atmosphere or surface will eventually give us better insight into whether or not these planets are similar to Earth or just something completely unknown.

Throwing around the word "habitable" without knowing more is a bit premature. I'm certainly not going to book my next camping trip there until I get to see a full-color brochure.

Jim

10. Re: No subject Apr 23, 2007, 14:08 Jim

I am sure everyone has heard - but "Boris is dead Jim"

They're always telling *me* when someone is dead. Dammit Batman I'm Jim not the coroner.

Anyway, sounds to me like an occation to have a White Russian or 3.

Jim

3. Red Sox 7 - Yankees 6 Apr 20, 2007, 23:00 Jim

What a ballgame!

Jim

11. Makes Your Home Like a Public Toilet. Apr 20, 2007, 09:07 Jim

When I have a house built I'm considering putting a urinal in the half-bath.

Jim

6. Re: No subject Apr 19, 2007, 11:39 Jim

Crook wins damages for injury during theft.

Blood starting to boil.....

x2

x3

Baines, who represented himself, said employees of the supermarket in a Vancouver suburb used unreasonable force when he struggled during his capture.

You want excessive force?

Click... POW! Thump. Clean-up on aisle six. There's your excessive force. Criminals shouldn't be entitled to ANYTHING, especially when they admit guilt (as in, removing any reasonable doubt that they committed the crime). Don't want to be treated with excessive force, don't F'n shoplift.

You-know-who finally gets boot on 'Idol'

Actually, "I-don't-know-who." Am I the only one that doesn't follow this American idol nonsense?

Jim

News Comments > Lost Game Plans
6. Re: No subject Apr 18, 2007, 09:46 Jim

I never watched the show, but from what I gather, if you have Flight Simulator and Far Cry you can pretty much simulate all of the interesting aspects of Lost.

Jim

13. Re: nin Apr 18, 2007, 07:40 Jim

Real nin: sig + >14000 posts.

Fake nin: no sig + ~615 posts.

Even without checking the post count, the imposter is quite obvious from the content of the messages.

Jim

5. Re: No subject Apr 17, 2007, 11:12 Jim

Blue, unless you make a hell of a lot more from this web-site than I ever thought you did, there is no easy solution. The easy solution is to do the drainage correctly when the house is built.

I've heard of more people with water in the basement during the last 2 years than ever before. I'm beginning to think that basements are nothing but a flood liability. Store your junk in the attic or build houses with bigger closets.

Jim

19. 5Mb Hard Disk in 1956 Apr 12, 2007, 18:06 Jim

Wow talk about portability. Who knew you could fit an entire MP3 in a cabinet the size of a refrigerator?

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Here we go again. Apr 12, 2007, 18:01 Jim

Why make advancements in a direction where the draw-backs are far worse then the current state of technology?

Lower energy consumption and better picture quality? I'd consider both of those to be positive advances.

I'm not an early adopter though and won't buy a new TV until my old 27" CRT craps out.

Jim

30. Re: weather reports Apr 11, 2007, 20:43 Jim

Wow, I had not looked at the price of scopes in a while. Some of the good starter sized, name brand ones, like say a 4.5" Dobsonian or Shortube reflector is starting at less then $250.

I remember my first 4.5" short tube reflector was like ~$600.

Yeah its crazy ain't it. So many choices now and lots of affordable GOOD stuff. 20-25 years ago there were maybe 3-5 choices if you had less than $1000 to spend on a scope.

Jim

29. Re: weather reports Apr 11, 2007, 20:39 Jim

Also, of course the site matters. I am sure your club goes to a nice dark dark spot. I have yet since I moved, where it is now fairly dark to look at the planets through a ~4.5 or so.
And even just near city lights and haze and pollution has a drastic effect on the view of planets. Fucking other people. How dare they all not stop living their lifes so I can have a few hours of perfect dark.

You have it the other way around though. Even though we love dark sky observing, we find it difficult to impress unseasoned observers with galaxies and nebular because unless you have a GIANT telescope (> 16") they're not likely to see much detail on anything but the brightes ones (Orion Nebular, etc).

Our site at Seagrave is relatively dark. Even though we're near the reservoir we still have washed out skies from the area of junction Rt 6 and I-295, which is only a couple miles away. Only on the best nights you see the entire little dipper, M-44 and Coma Berenices. And my best view of Saturn ever was during last season during an exceptional night at Ladd, which is in a heavily light polluted area in Providence. It is a 12" scope though, and you're right, I wouldn't expect a beginner to get anything bigger than 6", but you can still see quite a bit of detail on the planets with small scopes. I have a 70mm (2.8") Televue Pronto and can see Cassini division on a good night, and usually 4-6 belts and zones on Jupiter, and I have on rare occasion seen eclipse shadows of Jupiter's moons. Mars is tough because it's often too far away and too small, but you can see the phases of Venus with it pretty easily. And that's not to mention what a small refractor can do on Milky Way star sweeps.

Edit: and you can't forget about the moon. Its really the easiest object to observe and you can see a good amount of detail with just about anything.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 20:46.

Jim

25. telescopes Apr 11, 2007, 19:34 Jim

If price is irrelevant:

High grade reflector:
http://www.rcopticalsystems.com/20inchtruss.html

Top quality refractor:
http://www.anacortestelescope.com/product.asp?t=&pid=9848&m=35

Sore there's even further to go than these, but this is probably the most scope you can put in your average roll-off roof shed backyard observatory.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 31.
< Newer [ 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo