Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2012, 12:46 Jim

I tried watching the Pro Bowl a few years back, and found that I would rather watch a National League match-up in late September between teams that had both been eliminated from playoff contention more than a month earlier.

Go Pats!

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Re: Into the Black Jan 25, 2012, 22:49 Jim

First time I had heard about the pitch drop experiment was here on Blue's several years back, although I thought pitch was pine tar, not a derivative of coal.  
Jim

News Comments > etc.
1. Minecraft Lego Jan 25, 2012, 12:16 Jim

Cool, Lego is going back to basics! I really think Lego has gone too far in recent years with all of the branded themes and highly customized parts. I liked it better back in the day when you just got a bucket o' blocks, although the Technic sets are pretty cool.  
Jim

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 19, 2012, 13:07 Jim

Stargazing viewer in planet coup

Now there's a WTF headline that I had no idea what it meant until I started reading the article. I guess you can get lost when the BBC doesn't quote random words and phrases.

Light pollution- Is there a solution?

Thanks for promoting this. I recommend anyone go to a screening of "The City Dark" http://www.thecitydark.com/ to get a better understanding of light pollution.

Jim

7. Re: Out of the Blue<br> Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2012, 15:52 Jim

Star Trek 2 filming has begun.

I thought they filmed Star Trek 2 30 years ago.

Kaaaaaaahn!!!

Woot! First scene had lens flare! :)

I have to say that I did enjoy the first "remake" Star Trek movie, but those lens flares were annoyingly distracting and way overdone.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Apple retail Jan 13, 2012, 12:29 Jim

I didn't realize that article was 7 months old until I read the last line.  
Jim

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo
13. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 14:17 Jim

jimnms wrote on Jan 7, 2012, 00:10:
Looks interesting, but the lack of control customization means it's going on my wait list. I can't stand WASD, I've tried it, it's clumsy and I don't like it.

I hadn't noticed that, thanks for pointing it out. WASD-only controls is definitely a strike against me enjoying a game.

Jim

News Comments > Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo
12. Re: Steamships Ahoy - Q.U.B.E. & Demo Jan 7, 2012, 14:12 Jim

This looks interesting. Too bad there isn't a Mac version, but PC only means it is not dumbed-down for consoles either.  
Jim

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 6, 2012, 13:17 Jim

No snow on the ground here, which is fine by me. I think it went down to 12 degrees or so here on the night Blue is talking about. No snow means we can still get to the observatory, but the funny thing is now the older guys are talking about "how cold is too cold" for us to be open. Turns out they can't take temp+wind chill less than 20F. It is going to be in the 40s-low 50s here over the weekend, so it looks we're good for at least one more week.  
Jim

13. Re: LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 21:32 Jim

Cutter wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 14:18:
Jim wrote on Dec 19, 2011, 12:34:
This is not necessarily a good thing. There has been much discussion of this article in the dark sky preservation community over the past few days.

It is amazing how much detailed thought and planning goes into building just about anything these days, but yet when it comes to lighting, the naive and simplistic "more is better" attitude still reigns supreme. This can be very bad. We lose much more than just our night skies. For an enlightening view of just what happens when we destroy our night, see http://www.thecitydark.com/

So go live in the country then. I never understand people that live in cities who bitch about living in cities, noise, pollution, lighting, etc. No one is forcing you to live in them. You do have choices.

I'm working on that, but the problem is even the country is getting light polluted these days. The small town I grew up in is becoming almost as brightly lit as near the city where I live now. People moved out there from the city and put up dusk to dawn floodlights in their yards that make them look like prison yards or big city parking lots. Completely unnecessary. My argument is similar to yours, if people are afraid of the dark, don't move out of the damn city.

Jim

7. LEDs offer a brighter future Dec 19, 2011, 12:34 Jim

This is not necessarily a good thing. There has been much discussion of this article in the dark sky preservation community over the past few days.

It is amazing how much detailed thought and planning goes into building just about anything these days, but yet when it comes to lighting, the naive and simplistic "more is better" attitude still reigns supreme. This can be very bad. We lose much more than just our night skies. For an enlightening view of just what happens when we destroy our night, see http://www.thecitydark.com/

Jim

3. Mysterious planet-sized object spotted near mercury Dec 8, 2011, 12:56 Jim

I didn't realize that Yahoo news had become a tabloid. This "news" story links to a Youtube user that I am all too familiar with due to the whole Comet Elenin fiasco a few months back. They take actual JPL data and spin it in such a way as to make themselves appear to know what they are talking about, keyword it to attract the lunatic fringe and get a million views on Youtube.

Someone needs to educate themselves in the basics of solar dynamics and not take antiscience so seriously. If there were a physical "planet-sized" object near Mercury, you'd be able to detect it from the ground with minimal effort (Mercury itself is a naked-eye object afterall).

Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. How Facebook is ruining sharing Dec 5, 2011, 13:02 Jim

That article couldn't be further from the truth.

I only noticed this in use this past weekend when a friend had "shared" about a half dozen stories from Yahoo News. I found one of the headlines intriguing so I clicked on it, only to be rudely interrupted by a request to install a [cr]app. No thanks. I lost interest and didn't even bother to go look up the story on my own. What is the point of "sharing" if you're going to let some mindless apps log everything you do?

If FB continues promoting this, Google+ will certainly get a boost.

Jim

8. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 21, 2011, 12:43 Jim

Happy Birthday, Blue!

And in regards to eating, to quote Peter Griffin (Family Guy) before sitting at the Thanksgiving dinner table:

"This all looks so delicious, I can't wait to poop this out."

Jim

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 17, 2011, 17:38 Jim

There really isn't any mystery why Congress has a 13% approval rating.  
Jim

1. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2011, 14:46 Jim

Go Pats!  
Jim

News Comments > etc.
1. Montana town's arcade machine Nov 1, 2011, 18:35 Jim

What a great read. This brings back memories of the old Penny Arcade at Spring Lake. I hope they keep their machine despite all the pressure to sell it.  
Jim

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
7. Google Street View Oct 30, 2011, 12:55 Jim

How about improving the resolution of the current street view imagery so that you can actually read the names on the signs OUTSIDE of the businesses.  
Jim

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2011, 12:44 Jim

Fall lasted exactly 5 days here. It was still t-shirt weather last weekend (low 70's is still "summer" to me).

Fortunately we're not in the typical post-snowstorm cold snap here, and what little we did get is almost gone now. Temperatures are also going to be back to seasonally-expected normal this week.

Jim

32. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 24, 2011, 22:32 Jim

Blue wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 10:23:
nin wrote on Oct 24, 2011, 10:19:
Techno Cat Barf.

Really, Blue?

I dunno, I LOLed...

I thought it was hilarious.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo