Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Blockbuster? Dec 21, 2007, 12:49 Jim

I didn't know they were still in business.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: No subject Dec 20, 2007, 12:57 Jim

MS has been claiming future IE versions would be standards compliant for years, and it hasn't happened yet. I'm not holding my breath.
That acid test is just ONE of many things anyway. What about CSS compliance? And last I heard, they weren't in WC3 compliance either.

I agree, as good as it sounds, its more a wait-and-see when it comes to MS browsers.

The bigger issue IMO is for Microsoft to force expiration of IE6. No matter how good IE8 will be, we will still be forced to develop to the standards (or lack thereof) in Microsoft's broken IE6 browser, which is like being stuck in 2001. Hack-arounds and different versions are not good solutions either, but having to address "why does my site look like crap in IE6" will remain with us for the foreseeable future.

Jim

News Comments > Duke Nukem Forever Teaser Video
162. Will this still run on my 386? Dec 20, 2007, 10:24 Jim

and fit on the 40 MB of hard drive space I've been reserving for it?

Jim

News Comments > Out of the Blue
23. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 15:44 Jim

Anyway, the 40D is what I want, but not for $1300. What's going on with the $499 prices I'm seeing?

Looks too good to be true. I'd be very wary. If it was $100 less then I can see it, but not for $800 less.

Jim

16. Mars closest to Earth last night Dec 19, 2007, 12:48 Jim

The weather barely held out for some spectacular viewing up at Ladd last night. If you haven't looked at it yet, the next few weeks are the best.

Also, I encourage all to ignore all the "best until 2016" and "not as good as 2003" stuff, because its close every 2+ years, and this year is especially good because Mars is so high in the sky.

Jim

15. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 12:43 Jim

I don't know anything about cameras but I work with a guy that is a camera nut and he swears the Canon 40D is the best camera ever made. And from some of his pictures I would have to agree.

I'm in the market for a new camera also, and have been reading a little bit on DSLRs. The 40D is about $1300 but from what I've read (and its widely talked about in astrophotography forums) its easy to use because of its "live view" feature. I guess I'd have to see it to know it, but it supposedly makes focusing easier when you're using your camera at the telescope, and focusing is definitely one of my weak points.

If I wasn't planning on doing astrophotography with it I'd consider the XT. Certainly not as expensive as the 40D.

Jim

14. Re: No subject Dec 19, 2007, 12:36 Jim

That's great news nin. Hopefully you didn't have to deal with any related problems such as frozen pipes.

Jim

12. Re: No subject Dec 18, 2007, 15:39 Jim

I was planning on the Samsung 226bw

Back in the day (am I that old?) when you saw "BW" in the name of TV/monitor product, it meant that it was "black & white."

Congrats Bats.

Merry Christmas.

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Precision low level flying. Dec 17, 2007, 22:19 Jim

Pretty neat, but dragging your wheels on the surface of the water is just asking to put your T-6 in the drink.

And cur the music, I'd rather hear those Pratt & Whitney's purring.

Jim

8. Re: No subject Dec 14, 2007, 14:17 Jim

We've probably got that much around here (eastern mass) - not a lot by our standards... but certainly enough to prevent my car (and a couple others) from going up the hill I live on... oh yes, commute home? I started at 2pm... got home at 9:30pm. This would normally be a 1-hour commute for me.

Yeah, WTF is that all about? Kids were on School buses until 11pm last night, from schools that let our 2 hours early! WTF. Its not like we never had a snow storm before. I don't get it.

Jim

14. Re: Okay, maybe I... Dec 13, 2007, 20:00 Jim

It started snowing about 2 hours earlier than predicted in Providence, so at about 2 I figured I'd head home and continue working from home. What is normally a 20 minute commute ended up being nearly 3 hours. It turns our I decided to go a slightly different way figuring the traffic flow would be lighter than my usual, shorter way (as is typically). After 2+ hours I finally got to a connecting street (after staring at the light go green yellow red for over an hour), cut across and reconnected with my normal route. Wouldn't you know I was home less than 10 minutes later, and traffic was lighter on my usual route than it is under good conditions. Ugh. Next time I'll just work from home from the start (like everyone else did).

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Blu-Ray Dec 11, 2007, 13:19 Jim

Blu-Ray already has the advantage as far as Im concerned. Due to the PS3 sales they have more installed Blu-Ray players. HD-DVD units sold for the XBox 360 do make up some ground, but not enough. Without the HD-DVD player being bundled, its going to be an uphill climb for that format.

I just wish one of them would croak and the other emerge the clear and undisputed winner. Until then I'm not sinking a single cent into anything HD.

Jim

29. Re: DOOM music Dec 10, 2007, 19:27 Jim

Most people never got to experience how incredible the music was in DOOM, you really needed a midi card to make it shine all those ad-lib carry overs on the Sound Blaster sucked but most people didn't know any better.

The only game I didn't turn off the music for was the original Quake. All other game music never did anything for me, and in fact took away from the game experience. The Quake I music made the game more immersive IMO.

Oh and I had a WWII flight sim that had orchestral music that I usually left on low setting while flying.

Jim

19. Re: No subject Dec 10, 2007, 15:49 Jim

aha the memories. My DX2/50 was swapped for a DX2/66 with 4Mb ram. And the ISA Tseng Labs graphics card turning into a cirrus logic card. Oddly enough I had a MASSIVE 200Mb hard drive that was originally shoe horned into an amiga. The RAM came from the amiga too (that amiga was a powerhouse I tell ya)

A year later and I have a P120 with an ati Rage 2 and an orchid righteous 3D card. I was king of the hill with that rig.

I still remember playing duke nukem 3d in uni over IPXsPX, and having full speed access using the uni's 33k pipe

that kept me going for a long time until my celeron 300 overclocked to 450 with the same ati rage 2 coupled with a voodoo 2 (And at the lan parties we borrowed other voodoo 2's to SLI them)

Yeah good times. Mine was an IBM PS2 that I got through the university store. Paid an arm and a leg for it, and as mentioned, it came with practially no peripherals or expansions. It was a screaming DX2/66 though, which I later swapped out for the Pentium "overdrive" chip, which brought it "almost" to a P90, but not quote.

I remember when someone I knew got a 100 Pentium and that was all the buzz, what a fast machine. I remember saying "we're going to have to run Doom on that to see how fast it loads.

We also ad a neat trick for quickly gaging how fast a PC was back in those days. Issue the DOS command "dir /s" at the root. How fast the directory listing whizzed by was a good indicator of how much ballz your PC had.

Jim

11. landing with no chuge Dec 10, 2007, 14:29 Jim

This spring, Mr. Corliss will attempt the first of three tests to prepare for his goal. Wearing his wing suit, he will jump from a plane, which will then execute a 270-degree turn and descend at a steep angle. He will fly down to the plane and re-enter it.

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Fly straight into the plane's propeller and take the whole plane down.

Are these "wing suits" going to come with black boxes?

Jim

6. Doom Dec 10, 2007, 11:44 Jim

Wow has it been that long?

Also of note, during that time in history:

PCs came with 4MB of RAM and 80 MB hard drive.
If you wanted anything else:
16bit stereo sound card - $200 add-on.
2x CD ROM (reader) - $200 add-on.
14.4k modem - $200 add on.

If I remember correctly, the full version of the game came on 4 floppy disks and took about 20 MB of hard drive space when installed.

You couldn't set the resolution to anything other than 320x200!

I also recall Doom being one of the few games at the time, if not the only game, that didn't require excessive tweaking to autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Jim

9. Re: Serious stuff - Dec 6, 2007, 14:42 Jim

From http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22132648/

The administration's effort is aimed at stemming a further wave of foreclosures in coming years as 2 million subprime mortgages loans provided to borrowers with spotty credit histories reset from their introductory rates of around 7 percent to 8 percent to levels as high as 11 percent. That would add hundreds of dollars to the typical monthly payment.

It would seem to me that you could probably shift most of these loans into 30-year fixed for 7-8%.

Jim

8. Re: No subject Nov 28, 2007, 11:45 Jim

Does anyone else have the problem of clicking a link in email or a document and Firefox opening two windows? Mine always opens a tiny little 1x1" window in the top left corner of my screen and then a second, full sized window. Both windows display the link, but for the life of me, i cant figure out why it opens two windows and a tiny one in the corner.

Not exactly that, but something similar. If there is a link to a SWF file (not embedded, but an actual SWF) and I click on it, I get endless tabs opening until I kill the browser, even though I have the current plug in. I haven't tried it since upgrading to 2.0 though so maybe they fixed it.

Jim

8. Re: World's First Image Taking of th Nov 8, 2007, 07:35 Jim

Boy. Those pictures sure do look crappy. I mean, really, my 5 year old digital camera takes better pictures. Sure this is HD video, but crappy HD video of nothing happening!

Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that. The film shots from Apollo were much "higher def" and I've even seen better Earth-based photography.

What, just slap a "HD" label on it, and apply an overly aggressive unsharp mask filter and its supposed to be good?

Jim

3. Scientists Find Oldest Living Animal, T Oct 31, 2007, 08:13 Jim

Mmmmm, 400 year old stuffies!

(for you non Rhode Islanders, stuffed quahogs, or "stuffies", are a delicacy here)

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo