Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. German schoolboy, 13, corrects NASA' Apr 16, 2008, 12:15 Jim

More bad science writing. OK maybe the kid re-figured the odds of an impact, but what is stated in the article makes no sense.

If the asteroid strikes a satellite in 2029, that will change its trajectory making it hit earth on its next orbit in 2036.

How does an impact, ANY impact, with ANY artificial satellite GUARANTEE an impact with Earth on the VERY NEXT ORBIT, especially considering a 10 order of magnitude difference in mass?

Both NASA and Marquardt agree that if the asteroid does collide with earth, it will create a ball of iron and iridium 320 metres (1049 feet) wide and weighing 200 billion tonnes, which will crash into the Atlantic Ocean.

How does a "ball of iron and iridium" get "created" during a collision? Doesn't said "ball" already exist before the impact? And the ball, which is created during the collision, collides AGAIN with the Atlantic Ocean. I guess they meant the ball is created when the asteroid strikes the ATMOSPHERE, then it hits the ocean.

At first I thought this was a fake news site since the writing is so bad, but unfortunately I found the story syndicated elsewhere.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Suit Says Toy Kit Contains Asbestos. Apr 14, 2008, 21:05 Jim

Its about time someone came out with a new toy toxin. Lead toys are so 2007.

Jim

6. Orbital Patent Apr 11, 2008, 13:47 Jim

Newton rolls over in his grave as patent madness takes another giant leap into stupidity.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Airports Apr 3, 2008, 11:30 Jim

Just remember as airport security throws out your shampoo in case its a Prell bomb that there are minimum wage employees with apparently unsupervised access to the contents of the baggage compartment.

Feel safer now?

You're not suggesting that the same people who handle my sack could also be working for "al['s] Catering" are you?

I know someone who is a Continental baggage handler (PVD). I usually bring it to her attention whenever there's a news story about something out-of the ordinary regarding Continental (or the time they stranded me in Newark by saying "your plane is no good").

Jim

25. Galaxy Hour Mar 30, 2008, 13:56 Jim

We were at the observatory last night during what I called "Galaxy Hour". Although a spectacular night (2 clear Saturday's in a row? Holy crap!), all the neighbors lights were blaring as usual.

Galaxy Hour = shut your damn lights off so we can see the Galaxy!

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
11. Chattanooga house Mar 15, 2008, 09:07 Jim

has appeal for enthusiasts of outer space

Um, not really. I clicked on the link thinking someone was selling a nice piece of property with a back yard observatory included.

Its in an area that has good views, but doesn't say how much acreage. I'll take the land, you can fly the UFO away thank you very much. I always though these "futuristic" things were pretty tacky and lame.

Jim

9. Kansas woman sat on toilet for 2 years Mar 13, 2008, 16:26 Jim

Wow, talk about an extreme case of "shit or get off the pot!"

Or would this be considered "squatting"?

This comment was edited on Mar 13, 16:26.

Jim

4. 10 Myths they won't bust Mar 12, 2008, 12:37 Jim

I don't see the issue with #6 and #2. Both of them are plausible and fairly easy to test. #6 you really don't need to dig a well .

Jim

6. Chuck Norris? Mar 11, 2008, 07:38 Jim

Ok can someone explain to me what all the Chuck Norris buzz is about lately? I knew who the guy is, basically he's a has-been actor form more than a decade ago, but what's the big deal? Why now?

Jim

22. Re: Space Shuttle Mar 10, 2008, 18:34 Jim

Celebrating the roomies b-day today, and early tomorrow morning (3am) going to see the Shuttles first night launch in quite a few years (and my first shuttle launch).

Hopefully will have some pics to post when I get back

Very cool. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Good luck with the weather.

Jim

21. Re: **shakes head** Mar 10, 2008, 18:33 Jim

The Catholic church trying to tell people what's right and wrong is laughable at best.

Yeah, and something tells me they didn't consult the Queen Spider before changing the Holy Document of Vatican Law.

Jim

6. basement Mar 9, 2008, 00:25 Jim

Sorry to hear about your water woes Blue. I had a friend who had a problem recently and had to redo his partiallyefinished basement (library/office). Luckily he had insurance for flood damage. Here's hoping you can get your problem permanently rectified.

Jim

1. ring around Saturn moon study Mar 6, 2008, 22:11 Jim

And here I thought it was going to mention Iapetus, as I think that would best explain its equatorial ridge.

The weather finally cooperated for us to get out to the observatory last night and have a look at Saturn. Seeing was pretty good so we cranked up the power on the old Clark.

Jim

News Comments > Red Baron Returns
1. Demo? Mar 6, 2008, 22:05 Jim

Does no one release demos anymore? I know its just an arcade-style sim, but the screens look neat and I think it would be worth a free flight.

Jim

7. Re: whoooo boy Mar 5, 2008, 09:19 Jim

well that stupid bitch stole my state

Rhode Island?

Jim

29. Driving through 500 fluorescent bulbs Mar 4, 2008, 12:25 Jim

AKA, how to turn a park into a superfund site in a fraction of a second.

Jim

1. 11 planets? Feb 27, 2008, 21:56 Jim

Yeah that was shocking news to me when I first read it this morning as well. I sent out to a few of my astronomer friends and they were all WTF. At last count there were 8, now we're going to reinclude Pluto as well as Ceres and Eris.

And the mnemonic is a bit lame anyway.

Jim

14. booze test Feb 25, 2008, 12:46 Jim

I scored 150 proof. Surprising that I even knew that much about booze when I rarely venture outside the realm of beer for the occasional White Russian.

Jim

5. Nanotechnology Is Morally Unacceptable. Feb 23, 2008, 09:43 Jim

WTF??!!

This country is becoming so anti-science it makes me sick.

I think all this "moral" crap is immoral.

Jim

5. Long Nights, 90 Below. Feb 20, 2008, 12:36 Jim

mall telescopes and cameras on a bump known as Dome Argus, which is 13,000 feet high and about 700 miles east of the South Pole

How in the world can you be EAST of the south pole? Isn't any direction away from the south pole north?

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 23.
< Newer [ 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo