Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Mar 28, 2012, 13:03 Jim

They're doing a remake of Total Recall? WTF?

But LOL @ the 1st comment on that site!

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
10. Re: National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 20:38 Jim

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 25, 2012, 12:00:
Um.. why is the Space Shuttle absent from the History of Aviation?

There was a lot of stuff missing from that "History of Aviation" video. I wouldn't call it any kind of comprehensive set of technological firsts (although it seemed to start off that way).

One of the most puzzling aspects was mentioning the wreck of the Hindenburg (the end of the rigid airship era) while never mentioning rigid airships to begin with, which were already fairly well developed flying machines back in the Wright Brothers era.

As for the Space Shuttle, it did what it was designed to do, allowing its pilots to land it on a runway like any conventional fixed-wing aircraft after spending up to 16 days in "flight". I would say that is worthy of mention in any list of technological achievements in aviation.

Jim

2. National Day of Unplugging Mar 25, 2012, 11:22 Jim

I had no idea that was going on either. Maybe next time they can schedule it for when the sky is clear. Oh well, I got a lot of work done yesterday so it wasn't a waste.  
Jim

4. NASA fires a BB into water Mar 20, 2012, 11:45 Jim

Pete Schultz, the guy featured in that video, is a regular participant at our observatory annual convention. He always has some great high-speed camera footage of smashing things with that gun. He was also involved with the LCROSS and Deep Impact missions.  
Jim

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2012, 17:58 Jim

Not too bad so far, except that I had Connecticut going into the championship.  
Jim

11. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 12, 2012, 13:11 Jim

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 12, 2012, 10:25:
GMT all the time, everywhere! Screw time zones and DST!

I could live with that.

Jim

10. Venus and Jupiter Mar 12, 2012, 13:08 Jim

Here's a video I took 2 weeks ago, when the Moon was also nearby. http://youtu.be/yItmuk0agtI?hd=1

Jim

News Comments > id on DOOM 4 Images
40. Re: id on DOOM 4 Images Mar 2, 2012, 12:31 Jim

Those screen shots look a lot like City 17, better than the cramped and dark spaces of Doom 3. I'll be watching this one with interest. Hopefully they can pull off a good game (no one seems to be talking much about Rage).  
Jim

19. Woeld Record Paper Airplane Mar 1, 2012, 08:25 Jim

I'm surprised that the record distance was that short. I have made paper planes that had longer time aloft than this, but they generally apex just after launch and then slowly spiral downwards. If I had a venue to fly them in I'm sure I could tweak them to fly straight. I think the world record duration is something like 27 seconds, so given the proper environment something like that could probably go quite far.  
Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. 'The Bodyguard' Pulled From Netflix to Prop Up DVD Sales Feb 21, 2012, 11:56 Jim

When are they going to start charging admission to the skeleton farm to view her grave site? Money! Money! Money! Money! Money! Money! MONEY!

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 16, 2012, 13:16 Jim

I'm still on Snow Leopard. I haven't really seen the need to upgrade yet.  
Jim

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2012, 13:03 Jim

Pitchers and catchers report to Fort Myers for spring training in 3 days...  
Jim

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. RealPlayer Feb 9, 2012, 20:59 Jim

That's still around??? That was one of the intenet's first true pieces of crapware, and I though it went away a decade ago.  
Jim

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 6, 2012, 12:19 Jim

Yup, the Patriots seem to think that waiting for the opponent to make a critical mistake at the right moment is a winning strategy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Is it baseball season yet?

Jim

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 3, 2012, 10:57 Jim

2 more days until the Big Game. Go Pats!  
Jim

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2012, 20:50 Jim

Cutter wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 12:05:

Wow, you must be a lot of fun at parties and a real hit with the ladies too! And why does anyone need to justify getting drunk? Arbitrary is arbitrary, so Xmas is more family orinted and popular than groundhog day, it's still entirely arbitrary supersistious nonsense and has just as much shenanigans and drunkeness going on if not more. February always has the highest rate of suicides in northern climes give the post-holiday blues/stress, SAD, etc. so yeah a silly reason to get drunk, blow off steam, have some laughs is actually a good thing. You sure sound like you could use a ton of that yourself.

Let's just say I have an overwhelming preference for quality over quantity, and when I gather with family and friends, getting drunk is generally not the order of the day (although I do enjoy more than my fair share of [good] beer). If it weren't for family gatherings, Christmas would be as meaningless to me as groundhog day.

If "partying" and getting drunk is what you need to get by, all the better for you I guess. I prefer not to follow that lifestyle and I do have enough things going on in life to sustain me, with zero stress and zero depression.

Jim

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2012, 11:39 Jim

Overon wrote on Feb 2, 2012, 11:29:
Sad thing is that there are people actually believe groundhog nonsense. What's the justification for the ground hog seeing his shadow meaning anything? What's the justification for the groundhog seeing his shadow at all? How do we know he saw his shadow? Does he know what a shadow is? Does he know it's his shadow? Why would we believe that the groundhog knows anything about weather forecasting?

I sincecrely hope most people do this for fun and I cringe at people who think that the groundhog has any forecasting ability at all. I do think those groundhogs look adorable though.

That is the main reason why I dislike the whole notion of "groundhog day." It is just a meaningless superstition and people seem to get too caught up in it. Sure other holidays are based on superstition, but they usually have bigger components of family tradition, social gatherings, actual historical events, or other festivities. It is for a similar reasons why I never thought much about new year's day, which is just some arbitrary date when we decide to change the calendar. It has become nothing more than a justification for idiots to get drunk.

I read a survey recently stating that somewhere around 40% of Americans believe in astrology, so yeah I wouldn't doubt that there are significant number people who believe the groundhog day nonsense as well. This is the most important reason to do away with it.

Jim

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2012, 11:19 Jim

America's dumbest "holiday" is upon us, and be prepared to see the same crap here again tomorrow.

Sorry I just can't get into this "groundhog day" nonsense. Bah humbug

Jim

News Comments > Happy Birthday id Software
6. Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 1, 2012, 22:25 Jim

How times have changed. The company that pretty much created the 3D FPS gaming industry, is now practically irrelevant in said industry.  
Jim

News Comments > etc.
1. video games that support good math learning Jan 30, 2012, 12:50 Jim

I'd love to see a modern day remake of The Halley Project.  
Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo