Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > 2008: The Year in Lists, Part 4
4. Vote for your GotY Dec 11, 2008, 13:14 Jim

Its a sad day when I haven't played ANY of the contenders on this GotY list (probably the first time in over 10 years that's happened.

Mainly because I don't have the rig to run the ones I'm interested in getting, and when the budget comes up I need to get a new iMac first.

Of the games on that list, I was most interested in Crysis, STALKER, and Far Cry.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
4. Re: Used sales... Dec 5, 2008, 10:58 Jim

Yeah, anyone who perpetuates ideas like this seriously need to wake up and read the papers. We're in a recession that was caused by greed like this.  
Jim

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Happy Birthday Nov 21, 2008, 08:13 Jim

I raise a pint in your honor. Beer  
Jim

9. Top n Lists Nov 19, 2008, 14:25 Jim

OK I'm really getting annoyed with the top 25, top 10, and now top 7 lists that we can't seem to figure out how to get through without having to click next next next next.

Give me one bloody page that I can scroll dammit.

Jim

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Commodore? Nov 19, 2008, 08:23 Jim

Now all they need to do is offer an exclusively 64 bit system and call it the Commodore 64  
Jim

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: spore Nov 14, 2008, 16:41 Jim

Spore isn't worth the effort to play. There's nothing really innovative about it aside from the creature creator. There's no evolution, and the design of your creature makes little difference in the game. It's all about collecting the most powerful "creature parts" and slapping them on your creature to replace weaker parts. That's it. That's the game. Sure, you eventually move on to building tanks and spaceships instead of creatures, but the exact same principles apply. The endgame gets pretty tedious too. I was bored and gave up on it.

Wasn't the whole idea, originally, that you started from a spore and evolved? I guess its not worth a bother based on what I've seen and heard about it. It sounded neat when they first announced it and showed off the teasers.

Jim

5. planets Nov 14, 2008, 08:42 Jim

Usually when these new planets are found (we're not up to 326 known: http://planetquest.jpl.nasa.gov/), a few of them may be orbiting stars that may be bright enough to be seen naked eye, but you'll need to cross reference its catalog number or coordinates with a good star atlas to find it.

One of these new findings however, orbits the bright star Fomalhaut, which is due south from northern latitudes this time of year.
http://www.skymaps.com/skymaps/tesmn0811.pdf

Jim

News Comments > etc.
1. spore Nov 13, 2008, 12:45 Jim

When I first heard of Spore about 2 years ago it was supposed to be this neat, new-concept evolution & survival of the fittest kinda game where if you survive long enough you can travel around the galaxy in little spaceships and abduct players on other planets and such.

Is this still an evolution game or is it just another "social network" time-waster like it looks like it has become?

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
5. World Series Oct 29, 2008, 22:33 Jim

Congratulations to the Philadelphia Phillies for winning the 2008 Fall Classic in the longest game in baseball playoff history.

I really wanted the Rays to win, even though they beat the Red Sox out of the ALCS, but it surely was a memorable baseball season.

Jim

13. Earth's core getting colder (ScienceAle Oct 28, 2008, 13:47 Jim

Its global cooling!  
Jim

3. Top 10 Worst Video Game Movies. Oct 22, 2008, 08:32 Jim

Wow TIME is getting into the top 10 (or shall we say "bottom 10") lists. If you were still in need of a conclusive verdict on the fact that most movies based on games suck, TIME has spoken.

Jim

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 21, 2008, 08:29 Jim

I think I could make a very compelling ad in the vein of the "I'm a Mac" ads.

*ahem*

Hi, I'm a Mac.

And we're the rest of the world.

Mac OSX has alot of cool new featur...

We don't give a shit.

Thank you, thank you

If you take games out of the equation Mac becomes a viable platform. I have both a Mac and a PC. The PC is for games and the Mac is for when I want to get some work done.

Jim

12. Re: No subject Oct 17, 2008, 12:20 Jim

uh oh, they went really young for the Star Trek pre-quel. Looks like it is made for the pre-teen and MTV crowd. Bummer.

Yeah that's the first thing I noticed as well, I guess they're trying to make Trek appealing to the younger crowd so that the franchise can survive, as I'm sure the demographic is aging.

Jim

News Comments > Far Cry 2 Movie
29. Re: No subject Oct 12, 2008, 11:25 Jim

I talked to this dude who went to their offices and was allowed to play the final version of the code. He said he was able to finish the game in 15 minutes by driving his jeep around the game world until he just happened to run into the Jackal, at which point he killed him. Fifteen minutes of game play? That fucking sucks.

Yeah but why would you do that when it looks like so much fun to go through the entire game world and blow everything up?

I'll probably take a pass on this game since I don't have the hardware to run it.

Jim

News Comments > Sierra Server Closures Planned
5. SWAT 3 Oct 8, 2008, 14:23 Jim

Well I haven't played the game in over a year, but its sad to see that one go. Lots of fun times playing co-op multiplayer.

Jim

1. Telescope detects odd-ball object. Oct 8, 2008, 09:39 Jim

As always, cool stuff.

Using its 27cm aperture telescope, it is observing many tens of thousands of stars, looking for the slight drop in light caused by the transit of a planet.

Of course one of the more exciting aspects of this stuff is that it is being done with a telescope no bigger than this:

http://www.telescope.com/control/product/~category_id=cassegrains/~pcategory=telescopes/~product_id=24330

One caveat is that the sensitivity of the CCD detectors used means that your camera is going to cost a good deal more than that scope. But its exciting nonetheless that cutting edge research can still be done with amateur equipment.

Edit: the "Follow Up" link is redundant. CNN never posts good images (too low res and compressed) for this kind of thing.
This comment was edited on Oct 8, 2008, 10:04.

Jim

News Comments > Cal Ripken's Real Baseball Offline
6. rain delay Oct 3, 2008, 10:19 Jim

Jim

4. bye week Sep 28, 2008, 19:12 Jim

Yup, Pats have the week off too. Seems we always get the bye early in the season. Ah well, other games going on, plus a Yanks-Sox doubleheader at Fenway as we close out the regular season in anticipation of another postseason. Should be interesting this time with the Rays having won the AL East.

Jim

9. someone keeps pooping in the pool Sep 26, 2008, 09:05 Jim

I don't know abut these people, but I wouldn't go swimming a half hour after someone shat in the pool. Give the filter and chemicals a good half day to clean that out.

Jim

News Comments > Safety Dance
2. Re: Fake popup study sadly confirms most Sep 24, 2008, 13:41 Jim

When I read the article I thought the same thing. MS has successfully trained its hordes, like monkeys, to press the button to get the banana.

I'm in the same category, except that I always click the X, not anything that says OK. When it comes to those "pop-over" web ads, I don't even trust the X and generally slam the refresh button as soon as I see one of these (I have an extra mouse button mapped to F5).

You would think that people would be tipped off by seeing the browser status bar on one of these fake alert messages though.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo