Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 1, 2009, 18:05 Jim

just tried to go to the local Stop & Shop.

couldn't even get in the parking lot. On the way home I remembered that today is the first of the month.....food stamp day (aka "Mothers Day"). Combine that with last minute Super Bowl food shoppers and you get chaos.

I went to my local Stop & Shop earlier today and noticed the dame thing. I've never seen it that busy. Add to your list an unspecified "significant" winter storm on the way for Tuesday (gotta get yaw milk and bread), and you get supermarket madness.

Go Cardinals.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Get ready for high-def voice. Jan 31, 2009, 09:21 Jim

A concept that's about 60 years overdue.  
Jim

News Comments > AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!
7. Re: AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! Jan 31, 2009, 09:09 Jim

Wait for the sequel

BbbbbBBbbbBBBbbBBBBbBBBBB!!!

Jim

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 23, 2009, 14:26 Jim

Only a 4 point spread? That's more optimistic than I would have thought.

Go Cardinals.

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 23, 2009, 12:25 Jim

They should have a 25% off sale to commemorate. I need a new Mac.  
Jim

5. POTUS44 Jan 20, 2009, 08:40 Jim

Hail to the Chief

Cheers

Jim

News Comments > Tabula Rasa Retrospectives
15. Re: Tabula Rasa Retrospectives Jan 18, 2009, 12:03 Jim

I think a game's name has a lot to do with it's success, whether we like it or not.

And it's box art.

The first time I had ever heard of this game (you can tell I don't follow MMORPGs) was in last week's OotB image of a shitload of copies of this game in a dumpster. There's something to be said about a product that is manufactured, packaged, but never to be used and only sent directly to the landfill.

Jim

9. light pollution Jan 18, 2009, 09:14 Jim

Its nice to see this issue finally getting more publicity after all these years of just astronomers griping about it.

I think that National Geographic article really helped to push the issue to the forefront, and aided by the "green" movement people are starting to take notice of our obliteration of the night.

I have an RSS feed of Google news search results for "light pollution" and have been following a lot of news like this since that article came out.

This is not just a problem in cities anymore, the countryside has been lit up in recent years as well, all part of ill-planned developments. Its as if lighting is just an afterthought, with little consideration to how the lights will even aid visibility. Most of the time it seems to be that the attitude of "the more lumens, the better" prevails, with absolutely no concern about glare and light trespass.

Its about time people realize, it is supposed to be dark at night. I remember growing up in a rural area how prominent the light from a full moon was, it was almost like daylight. Now in suburbia, the light from a full moon is barely noticeable, drowned out by all the artificial light. And to see the Milky Way you have to go many miles away from cities and towns. It is really sad to see outdoor lighting as yet another way that we continue our march to obliterate the natural world.

Jim

News Comments > DOOM 4 Writer Revealed
9. Re: DOOM 4 Writer Revealed Jan 15, 2009, 11:19 Jim

Does this imply that there will be more to the story then "run around like mad and blow up monsters"? That IS what Doom is all about afterall.

Admittedly, Doom 3 had an almost engaging storyline, but it was really just part of the background scenery to the "run around like mad and blow up monsters" bit.

Jim

12. Re: baseball card Jan 11, 2009, 08:36 Jim

And its a Red Sox card too!

No Jim, it's not. Sorry

Cincinatti is one of the only two teams to stay in their own town since their inception. (IIRC. The other one's the Cubs.) The Red Stockings later became the Cincinatti Reds.

I knew that. Notice I highlighted the words "Red Stockings" before my comment.

I still wouldn't part with it.

Jim

6. baseball card Jan 10, 2009, 21:43 Jim

Wow. I didn't think baseball cards were made back then.

The card she found was made in 1869 and featured the “Red Stocking B.B. Club of Cincinnati,” the sport’s first professional team.

And its a Red Sox card too!
If I found something like this I'd be reluctant to sell it, no matter how much it was worth.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. flat screen TVs Jan 5, 2009, 12:37 Jim

WTF?

When LCD monitors first started coming into the mainstream a few years ago, I recall reading that they are up to 4 times as energy efficient as comparable CRTs, so no one felt guilty about junking their CRTs... save desk space, save the ecovironment.

Now LCD TVs require MORE power than CRTs? I always knew plasma was not very energy efficient, but always thought LCDs saved power over CRTs. Now I don't feel so out of date with my old Sharp 27" Tube. I save on my electric bill and save the ecovironment.

This is really idiotic that the new revolution in display technology, originally touted as being more energy efficient, is worse of than what we had. I hope that they aren't slapping "Energy Star" labels on these like they started doing with PCs a few years ago, if so, what a joke Energy Star has become.

The first thing that needs to go is "standby" or "vampire" power. If its off, its OFF = no power consumed.

Jim

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. Pay-to-use patent smacked down Jan 4, 2009, 14:49 Jim

Pwn3d!  
Jim

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 25, 2008, 18:43 Jim

Merry Christmas to all!

Cheers

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black Dec 19, 2008, 12:28 Jim

wonder if her ashes will also be taken up to space.

That was my first thought as well.

We can just stuff them into a toolbag on the next ISS spacewalk.

Jim

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 18, 2008, 10:38 Jim

The point was that the word "blue" appears in the titles of those songs unrelated to blues music, not whether rock music is based on the blues, which is a pretty inarguable point.

What about Blue Danube? While technically not a "song", one of my favorites.

Jim

23. pirates Dec 16, 2008, 18:18 Jim

Its time to launch a couple of AGM-114's and pwn these sonsofbitches already. All they need to do is sink 3-4 of their skiffs over the period of a day or 2 and sustain a posture of an active search-and-destroy campaign, and that ought to be enough of a deterrent to keep them at bay for a long time.  
Jim

10. Re: RE: Shoes Thrown at Bush Dec 15, 2008, 14:00 Jim

Those are some serious reflexes!

No kidding! Dude busted out the Matrix moves and popped right back up to assess the situation. Freakin' cool in a weird way.

Agreed. GWB gets points for dodging the headshot.

As for the Iraqi journalist who did the shoe-launching, he couldn't come up with an original idea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCbQqsRm41s

Jim

News Comments > Safety Dance
1. Re: Safety Dance Dec 13, 2008, 15:56 Jim

The company recommends setting the Internet zone security setting to "high" and using access control lists to disable Ole32db.dll to provide the most effective protection against an attack.

Or, more simply, use a different browser.

IE has been nothing but a liability for Microsoft (and the Internet in general) for years. Time to move on.

Jim

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Dell raises cost of Windows XP downgrade Dec 11, 2008, 13:19 Jim

WTF. Comment #2 says it best.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo