Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2009, 16:48 Jim

4. over use of the lens flare effect, but this points back to #1

That was my biggest gripe about the film. WAY too distracting.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

3. pizza box of the 21st century May 1, 2009, 12:27 Jim

When I saw the title my first thought was "here we go, some whiz-bang electronic crap that twitters the temperature of your pizza and tells you when it goes stale and rots in the dump for 10000 years, etc etc".

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. Ironically this isn't really "21st century" but rather 19th century tech.

Jim

9. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 19, 2009, 22:24 Jim

Hey Blue,
I spent the day up in our neck of the woods. The Northeast Astronomy Forum and Telescope show was at Rockland Community College in Suffern. You should stop by next year. Cool people from the astronomy equipment world and lots of neat toys if you're into that sort of thing.

What a nice day it was too.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Virtual reality will come from inside ou Apr 13, 2009, 14:48 Jim

"Get your ass to Mars!"  
Jim

14. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2009, 19:18 Jim

http://www.videosift.com/video/Lord-of-the-Rings-Groaning-Voiceover

WTF! Why has it not only become acceptable, but commonplace for videos placed on the internet to grossly distort and stretch human faces? Even CNN is doing it for crying out loud. I know it has been going on for quite some time but the fact that no one talks about it seems to imply acceptance. I wrote CNN and complained about it last year and mentioned how unprofessional it was of them to post videos like this, but never received a reply, and they still post videos like this. Stop the madness already.

Jim

12. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2009, 14:30 Jim

GOTY

http://www.videosift.com/video/Video-Game-Consists-Solely-Of-Shooting-People-In-The-Face

Nah, the graphics look a bit dated (how do you tell brain tissue from eyeball tissue- it all looks the same), and besides, there's no longer a sense of accomplishment when you score a headshot.

Jim

News Comments > DOOM 3 Source Patent Issue
28. Re: DOOM 3 Source Patent Issue Apr 8, 2009, 14:20 Jim

Creative is still around?  
Jim

24. Re: Orion CEV Mar 31, 2009, 15:21 Jim

Space exploration is about a lot more than just planting flags. If we could mine resources and energy from sources outside of Earth, that would benefit this planet greatly. Setting up self-sustaining colonies on other planets and moons could eventually alleviate overpopulation issues which are going to become more pressing as time goes on. It also eliminates the "all your eggs in one basket" scenario which will ensure the survival of the species.

Space exploration (especially unmanned missions like the many active ones going on right now) also greatly increases our knowledge of the universe which we are part of. This knowledge pays dividends over much longer time periods than people are generally accustomed to dealing with. Another issue is that people often try to monetize this knowledge and ask what we get for sending $400 million to Mars or some other robotic exploration mission. If that is the case, how much "money" was lost when the Library of Alexandria was burned down? You just can't quantify stuff like that.

Jim

20. Orion CEV Mar 31, 2009, 13:28 Jim

I take credit for submitting the NASA link, so I'll explain some of the stuff.

This is NOT the intended crew vehicle for going to Mars. It is not capable of sustaining a crew for a trip that long. What this CEV is designed to do is replace the manned spaceflight function of the Space Shuttle (replacing the cargo-carrying function of the Space Shuttle will be handled by a different system). This services the ISS and other LEO flights, but also has the capability of shuttling astronauts to and from the Moon, which the Space Shuttle does not have the capability of doing. The Moon is only a 3 day trip away, whereas Mars is 5 months at best, so its feasible to fly this vehicle to the Moon. This is more-or-less a stepping stone to Mars, as once we establish regular flights with a vehicle that is more flexible than the Space Shuttle, we will be able to start working towards manned Mars flights.

Why go to Mars? Why not? Its a better way to spend our money than continually bailing out banks and insurance companies. Imagine all the great stuff we'd be able to do if we invested a trillion dollars in space exploration? Maybe we could get to Mars in just 3 days...

Jim

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Re: Legal Briefs Mar 30, 2009, 22:58 Jim

Jack Thompson continues his effort to constrict one of the few US industries that continues to thrive in the midst of recession. Ain't that treason?  
Jim

15. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2009, 21:11 Jim

There are 2 main factors that contribute to "postholing": 1: your weight, and 2: the size of your foot print. I used to be able to walk on the crust but it has been many years since I've been able to do that. True there are ways you can "tread lightly" to minimize the likelihood of postholling, but if you have a high mass-to-show-size ratio like me, you're probably going to go through.

Fortunately I'm usually not dealing with snow more than knee deep around here, else I'd buy a set of snow shoes.

Jim

1. solver dollar Mar 28, 2009, 13:43 Jim

I bought a few of the Lincoln bicentennial silver dollars when they went on sale a couple of months ago. Even the non-proof version sells for over $30, so I definitely wouldn't advise using them as legal tender.

http://tinyurl.com/dbf5fj

Oh yeah, and tonight is Galaxy Hour. Shut off your lights so we can see the galaxy.

And Blue, where you are up in Maine, I'm sure that Earth Hour or not, you'll be able to enjoy a fine view of the Galaxy. Have a great trip.

This comment was edited on Mar 28, 2009, 13:44.

Jim

News Comments > Metaverse
2. Re: IE8: Make that two steps forward Mar 21, 2009, 09:54 Jim

"CSS tables"???

True IE8 has much improved (and loooooooooong overdue) CSS support, but a major problem remains-- IE6 continues to occupy a large slice of the user base, so until IE6 dies, much of these improvements cannot be taken advantage of.

Jim

18. Re: My own pet peeve Mar 1, 2009, 11:27 Jim

I don't mind dubya-dubya-dubya, except that it would actually be shorter to say the entire words that it stands for. World wide web has three syllables. Dubyadubyadubya has six. Double u double u double u has nine! The abbreviation takes three times longer to say than what it stands for!

I've often thought the same thing-its far easier to speak out the whole thing than the abbreviation. I've heard someone once say "triple-dub" to shorten it.

If you have your web server configured properly, the www is not necessary, but people still do say and type it out of habit. I think most browsers will default to www subdomain if not provided as well.

Several years ago I commonly heard people only give 2 doubleyou's when vocalizing a URL "doubleyou doubleyou dot site-address dot com. I don't know why (perhaps they lost count?), but people would say this on TV and radio and it drove me nuts because this would obviously end up in a site not found.

Now I occasionally hear people saying (again, TV and radio) "visit site-address dot com FORWARD SLASH directory" instead of "visit site-address dot com SLASH directory. I think this is just going to confuse people, because people know what a slash is, and if you start saying "forward slash" it sounds like something different.

Jim

22. Satellite Will Track Carbon Dioxide. Feb 24, 2009, 17:10 Jim

Last I heard it sleeps with the penguins  
Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Yeager Feb 14, 2009, 11:53 Jim

You have to give credit to a guy who became the first to break the sound barrier in a challenging to fly test aircraft after busting a couple of ribs falling off his horse drunk the night before. They just don't make 'em like they used to.

Cheers

Jim

News Comments > Safety Dance
2. Re: Safety Dance Feb 14, 2009, 11:51 Jim

250k bounty? Someone call the Dog! You need to find Christ, brah! You can go one way or the other in this life, know what I mean, brah? Want a smoke, brah?

I have no idea what on earth you're talking about but it made me laugh

Jim

24. Hero on the Hudson Feb 4, 2009, 21:30 Jim

The game is biased. It doesn't let you play the role of the flock of geese.  
Jim

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2009, 13:02 Jim

Even though I was routing for the Cardinals, I found this to be a very enjoyable Super Bowl game. The ads were ok, though I usually don't watch for that. The best one was the Hulu ad. Even the half-time show was good this year.  
Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo