Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Star Trek Online Trailer
19. Re: Star Trek Online Trailer Oct 18, 2009, 10:21 Jim

I find it amusing that all of these space combat sims have HUGE, BRIGHT NEBULAE EVERYWHERE. I know they do this because large expanses of black space can get boring, but why not just show the Milky Way and enhance it for effect? The movies and TV shows are mostly black space with a smattering of stars (which all seem to be the same magnitude) and usually only show huge, bright nebulae when they are near some astrophysical phenomenon.  
Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. IL-2 Oct 1, 2009, 20:08 Jim

I just can't imagine dumbing down this sim enough to make it flyable with a PSP.  
Jim

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Bank of America Sued for 1.784 Sextillio Sep 28, 2009, 12:41 Jim

If you're going to sue for that much, why not just go for the googolplex?  
Jim

News Comments > Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Trailer
2. Re: Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising Trailer Sep 21, 2009, 10:47 Jim

Looks nice, but what I'd like to know is if you can blow shit up? Meaning, if I fire an RPG into a wooden shack is it just going to sit there without taking any damage?  
Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
3. MNF Sep 14, 2009, 22:20 Jim

How 'bout them Patriots! That was one wild fourth quarter.  
Jim

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 Trailer
6. Re: Silent Hunter 5 Trailer Aug 18, 2009, 12:23 Jim

Cool, but why aren't they speaking German? It ruins the immersion factor that they're all speaking American.  
Jim

News Comments > IL-2 Patch Status
1. Re: IL-2 Patch Status Jul 29, 2009, 15:14 Jim

Very cool. I had no idea this venerable old sim was still being worked on.  
Jim

1. "We choose to go to the moon..." Jul 16, 2009, 10:29 Jim

This was certainly one of the greatest achievements of mankind, and sadly today there is barely a fraction of the interest in space exploration as there was 40 years ago when the nation and the world was captivated by it.

Even among my friends at the astronomy club, many of whom remember the moon landings (for which I wasn't even around), there is little enthusiasm for returning to the moon.

At least the space shuttle launches are still mentioned on the news, but only in brief passing. I recall when all programming on the 3 networks (yeah there were ONLY three networks back then) would be interrupted for a space shuttle launch. However now the news plays up things that go wrong more often then when three is success. For example, the bits of foam that fly off the ET during almost every launch now, are mentioned on the news. A coworker came in this morning and first thing he said to me was "foam hit the shuttle, do you think it will make it back?" I give him credit for knowing that the launch finally took place.

The news made no mention of a space first with STS-127. We now have 13 astronauts in space, a record-breaking number.

I only hope that public interest in space exploration doesn't wane to the point where it loses public funding. There's a lot of important stuff being done, not only with manned spaceflight, but with the robotic missions as well, and in fact, we are truly in the golden age of space exploration when it comes to the unmanned missions.

I wish I could have witnessed the Apollo missions, but I treat what we are doing today with as much enthusiasm as most Americans treated the Apollo missions 40 years ago. I've seen every space shuttle launch and landing for the past 8 years (via NASA TV), and watched nearly the entire STS-125 mission. STS-127 will have 5 spacewalks that will be interesting to follow, and then there are only 7 more shuttle flights.

As for our future in space... we choose to go the moon!

Jim

10. Re: Nazi Stealth Jet Could Have Won War Jul 1, 2009, 16:20 Jim

I dunno that his stealth bomber would have been all that great. It's harder to spot anything on radar that's flying as low as they said that bomber would have had to fly. At that altitude I'd think an anti-submarine destroyer's radar would have spotted it instead of anti-air radar emplacements.

It had been suggested long ago that a few dozen more Me-163 Komet rocket fighters could have made a significant impact in the outcome of the war by decimating Allied bomber formations, bringing daylight "precision" bombing raids to a halt. At that point though, it became less a matter of how many advanced fighters could be fielded, but the experienced pilots to fly them. It was around the same time that the Nazis began resorting to unmanned aerial weaponry (V1 cruise missiles & V2 ballistic missiles).

Jim

4. Nazi stealth jet Jul 1, 2009, 11:20 Jim

There was a program on NatGeo Sunday night about this. Pretty interesting, but I would have liked to have seen a flying replica.

It was interesting at the beginning of the show they talked about how wood was chosen as a building material probably for its radar-absorbing properties, but it was probably more for practical reasons: wood was more readily available toward the end of the war, and it was much faster to build a prototype from wood than it would have taken to build the structure from aluminum.

Jim

1. Looks like things are back to normal... Jun 30, 2009, 09:58 Jim

...the RIPs are people I've never heard of.  
Jim

News Comments > QUAKE(s) & More of id's iPhone Plans
5. Re: QUAKE(s) & More of id's iPhone Plans Jun 29, 2009, 21:33 Jim

I know someone who used to get into Quake and play it so vigorously that he'd occasionally smash his mouse. The iphone is much easier to fling across the room, I wonder how often iphones are going to become victim of intense gameplay.  
Jim

9. Madoff sentenced to 150 years Jun 29, 2009, 16:46 Jim

http://money.cnn.com/2009/06/29/news/economy/madoff_prison_sentence/index.htm?postversion=2009062909

Ugh! Why don't they just kill him?

After all the people he fucked over, now he's going to get free food, free housing, and free health care for the rest of his worthless life.

For fuck's sake thirteen feet of rope is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Jim

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2009, 15:37 Jim

So now we're doing fours? I thought these things happened in threes. Not that I'm comparing Mays with the last three RIP's but come on, enough is enough.

Well, if you count David Carradine's accidental suicide by autoerotic asphyxiation a couple of weeks back, that makes five. Doesn't 5 constitute a spree?

I was reading that Mays was hit in the head by falling luggage on a recent rough landing. Didn't this happen to someone else recently? I knock on the head not immediately apparent that it caused damage, and the victim later died or became brain-dead? I can't recall who it was though.

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
17. They say they always go in threes... Jun 25, 2009, 23:15 Jim

RIP Ed McMahon
RIP Farrah Fawcett
RIP Michael Jackson

God Bless America
Cheers

Jim

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 25, 2009, 18:42 Jim

Farrah dead, Michael Jackson possibly dead (TMZ says dead).

edit: Dead.

He's going to be in the skeleton farm for a long time cuz plastic don't decompose.

Jim

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Ghostbusters
26. Console versions? Jun 16, 2009, 15:41 Jim

Does that include Atari 2600 and ColecoVision?  
Jim

7. E3 Jun 1, 2009, 17:17 Jim

I can't remember the last time I was even remotely interested in anything coming out of E3. How long has it been since Valve first showed off the Half-Life 2 physics engine?  
Jim

5. NASA loves to Nom Nom Jun 1, 2009, 09:10 Jim

Its good to see that more people are paying attention to this stuff. I don't get NASA TV over my cable service (have requested it multiple times) so I watch over the web whenever something interesting is going on.

Since STS-125 I found that I have been watching (or listening) to it a lot more. In fact, I had to turn it off to watch this video.

Today Atlantis is going to fly back to KSC on the ferry flight, possibly the last time this happens. Yesterday watched Endeavor move down to 39A, over the weekend watched the welcome from the first 6-man crew at ISS and checked out a press briefing with animations of the upcoming spacewalks for STS-127.

Jim

18. STS-125 May 19, 2009, 19:09 Jim

Has anyone else been watching NASA TV all week? Really exciting stuff. With the primary mission objectives accomplished, there's not too much going on the next couple of days, the astronauts get a well-deserved 2 days off, and landing is currently scheduled for 14:03 GMT Friday at KSC.

The sad thing is that this was the last great hurrah for the Space Shuttle. No longer will there by any missions where we push the bounds like this, and it will be very many years before we can match this capability again. I see it as the Apollo 17 of the Space Shuttle program.

Job well done guys, and happy landing! Cheers

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo