Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

News Comments > Portal 2 Delayed
2. Re: Portal 2 Delayed Jun 9, 2010, 12:49 Jim

Cake at the Valve booth.  
Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor
37. Re: Source 2/Half-Life 3 Rumor Jun 9, 2010, 08:09 Jim

Half-Life 3 is one of the items on the very short list that would encourage me to buy a new PC.  
Jim

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2010, 14:45 Jim

I know it can't happen, but I still wish they just played the game at the home stadium of one of the teams involved.

I suppose we ought to determine the champion in a best-of-seven series too.

Jim

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 16, 2010, 13:58 Jim

Go Celtics!

Yeah I admit I'm only a fan when they're in the playoffs. For some odd reason, I can't hold an extended interest in basketball like I can in baseball.

Jim

5. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 29, 2010, 12:19 Jim

Sox swept the Jays last night. I don't want to say that its "nice" to be at .500, as we should be at the top of the division at this point, but I feel good about the improvement. The next thing we need to work on is getting a DH that can actually HIT.  
Jim

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Hulu pushes forward with $9.95 subscription service. Apr 23, 2010, 08:28 Jim

What the hell? Are they insane? A $10 fee AND a network TV commercial load? Who in the holy hell is going to pay for THAT?

Millions of cable subscribers already do.

Jim

News Comments > Silent Hunter 5 Patch Plans
15. Re: Silent Hunter 5 Patch Plans Mar 31, 2010, 08:03 Jim

Ubisoft DRM = NO buy ever!

As a fan of the Silent Hunter series I had been really looking forward to this one, until I heard about the DRM.

Jim

1. Earth Hour Mar 27, 2010, 13:19 Jim

When Earth Hour first started a few years back it coincided with the Saturday nearest New Moon, and hence also became a dark skies awareness campaign as much as an energy saving campaign. I called it "Galaxy Hour", as in shut off your lights so we can see the galaxy. However this year, unfortunately, it occurs near Full Moon, which does little to promote light pollution awareness and mitigation.

Nonetheless, I wrote tot he local authorities to try to get the obnoxious Las Vegas style lighting on a local bridge shut down for Earth Hour, but haven't heard any response. I have actually have been trying to get it shut down for months since it destroys the view from one of the local observatories (it produces a spike of light 2/3 the way into the sky due south of the observatory), and I can see the thing from my house nearly 5 miles away.

State budget is in the crapper too, so yeah we really need to spend money on an array of searchlights that is visible from the International Space Station.

Jim

14. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 26, 2010, 16:48 Jim

Has anyone noticed this is all over an article from the Onion?

Yes but the sad fact is that there ARE people that really distrust the census. I know a few myself. One friend of mine, who is deeply conservative, insisted on the fact that the census was 28 pages worth of questions with all sorts of questions relating to personal finances, and yes, even how many guns you own. I told him that I had been to the census web site and saw the sample form had only 10 questions, and he did not want to believe me. After he stressed out about it for a while I told him not to believe everything he hears on Fox news, which he quickly defended and said he consults several news sources. Just go to their web site, dude.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. for the price of an iPad Mar 19, 2010, 11:38 Jim

There was a discussion about the iPad on the astro forums a few weeks back, and I mentioned how the price range of the iPads very closely matches the price range of a well-known premium eyepiece series:

Link

I already have one of the eyepieces. I'd like to get an iPad, but debating about whether to wait for the next rev.

Hmm, but eyepieces are a better investment...

Edit: Long URL fixed by Blue.

Jim

18. NCAA Mar 19, 2010, 07:57 Jim

One of the NCAA venues, "The Dunk" is only 2 blocks from my office. Big tourism boost for Providence, but increased traffic can be a pain. And what'd'ya know, yesterday also started tax-wasting road destruction season, as yesterday I saw about 10 guys placing cones blocking off a lane and preparing to dig a hole on a section of Atwells that needs no work at all. Good timing especially with a big convention in town.

At least the weather has been nice around here lately.

Jim

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2010, 17:18 Jim

Funny I keep reading about all these Nor'easters in the news, and we have dodged the last 5 major snowstorms here in Providence. We've had a total of about 4 inches of now in the past month. LOTS of rain here this week though.  
Jim

14. Space pictures taken from garden shed. Jan 24, 2010, 09:52 Jim

He's using the same mount that I have, except that I have to haul mine a few miles down to the observatory to set it up since I don't have a backyard. It is my eventual goal to move to a darker place with a backyard to I can build my own roll-off roof shed.

Those that are not familiar with amateur astronomy may be surprised to find out that backyard observatories are rather common. I know at least a half dozen people in my area that have them.

Jim

4. Re: Classic PC Games That Should Get a Next-Gen Makeover Jan 14, 2010, 14:30 Jim

'Destroyer,' Epyx (1986)

YES!!!

Jim

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 17, 2009, 12:46 Jim

restless genital syndrome

I can't help but LOL

Jim

2. Happy [belated] birthday, Blue! Nov 22, 2009, 13:04 Jim

Jim

7. Cell Size and Scale Nov 3, 2009, 12:58 Jim

Neat Powers of 10 demo. Now we need to have one that goes the other direction into the cosmological realm.  
Jim

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 2 Preorder Demo
10. Re: L4D2 Preorder Demo Oct 29, 2009, 08:45 Jim

So you need to have ordered the game to get the demo?

Isn't the whole point of demos to "try before you buy"?

Jim

2. Mythbusters fuel economy experiment Oct 23, 2009, 11:06 Jim

I was quite surprised by this result. Makes me wonder if automakers will be looking at new ways to design cars.

Next they ought to try this on a Boeing or Airbus...

Jim

News Comments > Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Aus Ban Holds
7. Re: Uncut Left 4 Dead 2 Aus Ban Holds Oct 22, 2009, 11:00 Jim

What is the appeal of this game? I've seen a few videos of it and it is just mindless running around unimpressive looking environments blowing up zombies. I'd get bored after 2 minutes of playing this.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo