Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
30. Re: This is how the History Channel died Aug 9, 2010, 20:30 Jim

mch wrote on Aug 9, 2010, 11:31:
Funny, I decided yesterday that the History channel had died when I checked On Demand and the only programming they had available was reality TV shows like fucking Ice Truckers.

Agreed. 95% of what is played on History Channel is NOT history. They ought to go back to being the World War II channel. I think the last good show I've seen on History was Wild West Tech. Now its all UFO's, Nostradamus, and Monster Quest. WTF does that have to do with history?

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Date Aug 9, 2010, 20:26 Jim

This site is usually my source of what would normally be unnoticed coincidences with the numbers representing the current date.

That being said, Blue didn't mention that today is 8/9/10, but I guess I'm a bit late since it would have been more appropriate to have posted this at 11:12.

Jim

7. Captured- America in Color from 1939-1943 Jul 30, 2010, 13:31 Jim

Amazing images.  
Jim

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 29, 2010, 14:58 Jim

Yeah NASA is a shadow of its former self. Im one of those who thinks its not just because the Cold War ended. Maybe Im naive or something but man's (and woman's) ambition for the stars was supplanted somewhere along the way by other things. Im thinking the internet had a lot to do with it....the pursuit of money as an end instead of a means to an end is probably another big reason.....

Sadly, I have the same feelings. During the 1960's (I wasn't around to see it), the astronauts were celebrities. Now society celebritizes (is that a word?) these 15-minutes-of-fame and no-life hollywood types who almost always end up either in jail or in rehab for the umpteenth time.

I also agree that the pursuit of money is holding back progress on many fronts, not just space exploration.

Jim

5. I'm Just Walkin' Jul 28, 2010, 15:05 Jim

I've been following this guy since Memorial Day--and with a bit of envy--since I have always thought about how awesome such an adventure would be.  
Jim

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2010, 15:03 Jim

I hadn't noticed any disruptions or downtime, Blue, and there is certainly no need to apologize for needing to take care of family first.

Here's hoping the issue is resolved soon.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Firefox 4 beta Jul 15, 2010, 12:57 Jim

I only have a couple of developer plugins that were disabled while I was evaluating the beta.  
Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Firefox 4 beta Jul 15, 2010, 12:32 Jim

I tried Firefox 4 beta. After a day of crashes, lockups, not restarting after a crash, and wouldn't launch Youtube videos full-screen properly, I went back to 3.6.  
Jim

News Comments > Legal Briefs
1. SCO Jul 14, 2010, 12:19 Jim

There's no better example of beating the pulverized skeletal remains of a dead horse than SCO. I didn't even think they were still around. They may as well be suing Microsoft at this point.  
Jim

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2010, 23:53 Jim

Holy crap the National League won the All-Star game.  
Jim

News Comments > Legal Briefs
2. Star Wars Jul 8, 2010, 12:16 Jim

Title could read "George Lucas Provides Free Publicity to Wicked Laser."

Really though, anyone who produces a cylindrical hand-held device could be accused of mimicking a lightsaber. The argument against Wicked Laser I'm sure will have no merit.

Jim

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2010, 10:49 Jim

Given the high temps in the Northeast today, its funny to hear people's reactions when I mention that Earth is at aphelion today: at no point during the year are we farther from the sun than we are today.

Keep that in mind when we are closest on January 4th.

Jim

News Comments > Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters
7. Re: Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters Jun 28, 2010, 23:24 Jim

The graphics look nice, but how can they get away with calling that a Jane's combat simulation? Third person console crap is what it is. Last time I had a Jane's combat simulation it came with an inch thick manual on how to operate the instrumentation and weapons systems.  
Jim

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 28, 2010, 21:06 Jim

It does make a difference, but I still wouldn't do it again. I think it got up to 117 one day, which felt similar to 95 or 100 here in OK, where we have nasty humidity...

I spent a couple of days/nights at Death Valley during the third week of July a few years back. Hey, if you're going to visit Death Valley, you may as well go and experience it when it's 128 degrees in the shade.

Jim

5. Kuiper Belt world measured in star pass. Jun 17, 2010, 12:55 Jim

is the topic of our July meeting:
http://www.theskyscrapers.org/content5838.html

Jim

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. iPhone Jun 16, 2010, 12:56 Jim

I have never owned a cell phone in my life, but recently decided that I need to have one. After much thought, I decided that the iPhone 4 was the one I wanted to get, so I figured, instead of the midnight campout madness that usually accompanies Apple product releases, I would pre-order it then go pick it up at the store on the day it is available.

Needless to say that plan didn't pan out at all. The Apple pre-order system was fubar, apparently because AT&T's registration process was completely hosed (is it a bad thing I'm beginning to dislike AT&T even though I don't even have their service?).

Now they have "sold out" of pre-order iPhones and they won't be available next week afterall. I guess I'll wait until the dust settles and go pick one up when the crazy rush dies out.

Lesson learned, never try to get anything Apple on the day of release, even if the promise of a "pre-order" is supposed to bypass the madness.

Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Jun 15, 2010, 08:17 Jim

Hoop wrote on Jun 15, 2010, 01:14:
We have had a storm filled start to winter.
No snow just shi@% loads of cold rain.
Im actually enjoying the storms. Raincloud

The cool, damp spell finally broke here. It is clear and temps approaching 30 degrees by the end of the week, it is seasonable again. And finally. I already missed a close conjunction of Jupiter and Uranus, a bright comet, and a good stretch of dark-of-the-moon. Hopefully this weekend I'll get my DSLR out and try some Milky Way photography from my dark observing site.

Jim

12. 2 airbag explosion Jun 14, 2010, 19:35 Jim

Davidsfarm is one of the most entertaining channels on Youtube. I subscribed about a year ago and have since watched almost everything he has put up.

Also, today is Flag Day.

Jim

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 12, 2010, 17:58 Jim

I noticed the buzzing sound this morning too when I tuned into ESPN. At first I thought it was a badly compressed audio signal, as sometimes I notice a faint background buzz though digital cable, but later figured out it was the fans' noisemakers, and I do hear these (or something similar) occasionally when the Red Sox are playing away games, kinda like the Trop has the cowbells. I guess you get used to it after a while.

I didn't catch the UK/USA game (was at my weekly telescope mirror-making workshop) but did catch the ending, and I'd have to say that my biggest annoyance with soccer is that games are allowed to end in a draw. All games should be played until there is a victor.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. massive solar storm Jun 9, 2010, 13:41 Jim

Good to know some people are still paying attention to stuff that goes on above the surface of the Earth. If one does hit, maybe it will whack the electric grid out long enough for us to see the wicked auroras that would result.  
Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo