Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. NEC, Intel and Microsoft Form Strategic Relationship Nov 12, 2010, 12:37 Jim

When I read this I only thought of two words- LIGHT POLLUTION.

When the fuck are we going to wake up and realize that it is stupid to keep pissing away energy on junk like this?

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Windows Phone 7 Nov 8, 2010, 21:30 Jim

Typical Microsoft. Take a market segment that is doing well enough on its own, and shit out a mobile device OS using a 4 year old browser that is not even close to being as capable of the Android/Iphone webkit browsers out there.

Microsoft seriously needs to stop releasing copycat products and concentrate on what made them successful in the first place.

Jim

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Nov 7, 2010, 12:30 Jim

Silicon Avatar wrote on Nov 6, 2010, 17:23:
I think Ballmer is making his way for the exit despite what he says.

MS doesn't lead anymore. They have a bunch of me-too products: Bing, Zune, GFWL, Windows Phone, etc. They need somebody with some vision and creativity to get going again.

Agreed. MSFT needs to jettison Ballmer in order to pull out of their death spiral. They are becoming increasingly irrelevant despite the ubiquity of their products. They need to scale back and concentrate on what has worked for them. Windows, server software, ans XBox. Get rid of everything else. Above all though, they need to get out of the web browser market. IE has caused web innovation to stagnate for nearly a decade, and they are going to continue the madness when Windows Phone 7 comes out. Ugh.

Jim

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. NASA EPOXI Flyby Reveals New Insights Into Comet Features Nov 5, 2010, 11:23 Jim

(registration NOT required)
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2010-373

Sorry, but I like to consume my science stories directly from the source.

Jim

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2010, 12:25 Jim

In Rhode Island, the ballots have arrows with a gap in the middle pointing to the choices. You fill in the gap with a marker to make your choice. I do miss the old mechanical machines, I saw a video (on youtube I think) about the history of them and how they worked. They were pretty ingenious devices.  
Jim

5. Plans to Send a Robot to the Moon Nov 2, 2010, 12:56 Jim

I believe this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, sometime in the future, or landing a robot on the moon and retur... ah screw it, we're going to leave it there.  
Jim

6. Re: JFK's speechwriter Ted Sorensen. Nov 1, 2010, 12:51 Jim

kxmode wrote on Nov 1, 2010, 12:27:
Jim wrote on Nov 1, 2010, 12:16:
"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth."

What's most important is that those written words were delivered by someone who says "I'll have a bowl of chowdah" and "I ran into a pahked cah".

That makes it even better. And don't forget about "any nucleah missile launched from Cuber". Those dropped "ah's" gotta go somewhere!

Jim

3. JFK's speechwriter Ted Sorensen. Nov 1, 2010, 12:16 Jim

Among the most significant words spoken by any president in US history:

"I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth."

Jim

9. no original ideas left in Hollywood Oct 27, 2010, 16:26 Jim

Indiana Jones 3d: Hasn't 3d nuked the fridge yet? 3d is just another excuse keep milking the franchise.

Batman 3: 3?! Three?!! Haven't they made 6 or 7 of these films already? Or are they now remaking the remakes?

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
13. Re: Windows 8 two years away Oct 25, 2010, 21:43 Jim

Creston wrote on Oct 25, 2010, 12:31:
Desire for new Windows 12 years away. Microsoft baffled why new version is not selling.

Seriously, do they just not get it? Who the hell wants to upgrade their OS every two years?

Creston

Just when all the users get accustomed to where all the controls are and what they are called, MS will change them all around and fuck everyone up again. It's pretty obvious that its not about the users, its about the vendors and partners.

I bought my first Mac 6 years ago, but still use Windows as well.

Jim

1. 201020102010 Oct 20, 2010, 12:01 Jim

Just after 8 pm tonight it will be 20/10/2010 20:10. Maybe I'll pop open a Samuel Adams Octoberfest to commemorate the occasion.

Jim

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. New Adobe Reader Sandboxed, Simplified Oct 18, 2010, 22:10 Jim

About freakin' time, Adobe! Last time I installed Reader 9 I felt like I was installing an OS. All I want to do is view PDFs. I always wondered why Apple's Preview app is so much simpler and faster at viewing PDF files than Adobe's own reader?  
Jim

6. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 6, 2010, 12:57 Jim

Heat? The only reason my windows have been closed this week is the rain. Although it hasn't gotten too cold around here yet, mid October is usually around the time of first heat.  
Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 5, 2010, 23:07 Jim

MSIE can't die fast enough. They've been holding back the web for years.  
Jim

2. The Comet Oct 3, 2010, 15:03 Jim

I finally got a chance to see it last night. I tried 2 weeks ago to spot it during our company retreat--brought my 80mm apo down to the dark sky site, but moon and haze intervened. Last night I called up the S&T position chart (http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/highlights/102632669.html) on my iPhone and used a friend's homemade 12-inch dob to locate it. Sky transparency was almost a 10 last night at AstroAssembly, but poor seeing drove a few people away early as we were also checking out the newly restored Clark telescope on Jupiter.

The comet will be well-paced near the Double Cluster this weekend, which is probably an indicator that it will rain.

Jim

News Comments > MoH Taliban Renamed
26. Re: MoH Taliban Renamed Oct 1, 2010, 11:40 Jim

But wait, if you play for the "Opposing Force", whom do you call the players on opposing force? Friendlies?

Political correctness run amok.

Does this game have B-52s? Because I'd really like to indiscriminately bomb the living shit out of the Opposing Force.

Jim

4. Gold ATMs Sep 29, 2010, 13:25 Jim

Silly idea. Gold is the next bubble.  
Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 24, 2010, 13:23 Jim

People still use Digg? I never got into the social sites which were just link aggregators. You click a link to something in a blog, it takes you to Digg, just so you can click through to the article, which most of the time is not even the primary source. IMO sites like Digg just add clutter.  
Jim

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: Molyneux demands Half-Life 3 NOW Sep 24, 2010, 07:38 Jim

Never heard of the guy before today.  
Jim

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. Google releases censorship tools Sep 22, 2010, 12:48 Jim

What a misleading headline. It should be "Google releases censorship monitoring tools."  
Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo