Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. snow Jan 7, 2011, 10:56 Jim

I'm beginning to wonder what an astronomy club meeting night WITHOUT snow (or rain) is like.  
Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > It Came from CES 2011, Part 3
1. Re: It Came from CES 2011, Part 3 Jan 6, 2011, 12:45 Jim

I've been also following CES coverage on Engadget. Has anyone else noticed that almost all of the new smart phones look exactly like iphones?

And when is Ballmer going to not be the keynote speaker for CES anymore? His company does not lead, and his lousy leadership is partly to blame. MS needs fresh ideas, and Ballmer isn't the guy to foster them.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 5, 2011, 11:26 Jim

Internet Explorer cannot die fast enough. Time has long been overdue for this 20th century browser to be relegated to the pages of history.  
Jim

6. Stargazing and dark sky tourism Jan 4, 2011, 11:23 Jim

I just did this a week ago down in the Everglades (Big Cypress National Preserve to be exact).

Saw an incredible display of zodiacal light, Southern Cross, Eta Carinae, and Omega Centauri.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 3, 2011, 14:17 Jim

While KB&M vs Controller is a big part of PC vs Console the other major thing is horsepower. Current gen consoles are now ages behind PC's in the relm of power and RAM. Games also have to be dumbed down because of system requirements alone.

Add to this the fact that almost all console games are third person. I can't stand third person games. It is more a contest of "how many times can I fall into this pit before I smash the controller through the television". Sure there are easy settings where it aims for you, but what's the point. I may as well fire up the Atari and play Pac-Man.

Oh yeah, and "combos." More like "mash the controller until the enemy dies" but this is the same argument of KB&M being a far superior controller.

Jim

6. More U.S. cities dimming the lights Dec 31, 2010, 20:35 Jim

Thanks for promoting this. I read it earlier today when I saw it on IDA's Twitter feed and had a sarcastic chuckle when I saw that the article reference the fact that Rhode Island is one of the states that has recently adopted dark-sky legislation. Yeah we may have an outdoor lighting control act, but damned if the state actually abides by it. Nah, we have WAY too much surplus in our budget so we can spend it on useful things such as lighting up the belly of the space station from the Iway bridge.  
Jim

2. eclipse Dec 21, 2010, 11:58 Jim

I was joking with my friends from the observatory this morning that given how we are often able to view the off-peak activity of meteor showers when the peak is clouded out, that since we were clouded (snowed) out of the eclipse this morning, that maybe we'll be able to catch some residual traces of eclipse tonight seeing as the clear sky chart shows much better conditions.

Jim

8. Moonal Eclipse Dec 20, 2010, 14:40 Jim

Clouds. Again.  
Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Geminids Dec 13, 2010, 21:24 Jim

Clouds. Again. Clouds again tomorrow, 6th Tuesday night in a row we're going to have to close the observatory. At least we've been lucky on Saturday nights, that is until it snows and shuts down the observatory for the entire winter.  
Jim

2. Antikythera Planetarium Dec 11, 2010, 15:32 Jim

I would seriously pay $500 for a Lego kit to build that!  
Jim

11. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2010, 13:58 Jim

Yeah all that "fun" setting up autoexec.bat and config.sys. I think I managed to set up a multiplayer game ONCE, then said screw it until Gamespy came out- by that time, it was Quake II.  
Jim

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
9. IE6 Usage Down Dec 5, 2010, 14:01 Jim

It's about fucking time this decade-old browser sinks.  
Jim

4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 2, 2010, 11:47 Jim

Ratty wrote on Dec 2, 2010, 11:39:
Personally I think it has something to do with that Japanese probe that came back from that comet a while ago
Nah, it's probably just about water somewhere. It always comes down to water.

"ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA"
"ATTEMPT NO LANDINGS THERE"

Jim

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
2. Re: Islamic Video Game Rating System Announced Nov 29, 2010, 22:00 Jim

I'm guessing Farmville will be rated F for forbidden since at some point you're probably required to raise hogs.  
Jim

News Comments > Rulers of Nations Patch
2. Re: Rulers of Nations Patch Nov 29, 2010, 21:58 Jim

Interesting game concept. Unless it allows cheating, hacking, and freeze-ups where you can't get anything done, it is not true to life.  
Jim

News Comments > etc.
1. 38 Studios Vows To Make Providence the Gaming Hub In 5 Years Nov 29, 2010, 21:42 Jim

Keep dreaming. Not saying it wouldn't be a good thing, but I'd be surprised if 38 Studios is even around in 5 years, nevermind the 450 (yeah right) promised jobs it is supposed to bring.  
Jim

9. Glowing trees could light up city streets. Nov 27, 2010, 11:25 Jim

If there was a Nobel Prize for Bad Ideas, these guys should be nominated.  
Jim

4. No subject Nov 19, 2010, 13:31 Jim

I just watched the ESOcast about this last night. Pretty neat, although the fact that it evolved from a dwarf galaxy, which was a building block for the Milky Way, it isn't "really" extragalactic, but neat nonetheless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GquyuDePCA

More interesting results from EPOXI mission:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0x-j1D4oJE

And finally, RIP Brian Marsden:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/skyblog/newsblog/109107254.html

Jim

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
1. The Ten Businesses The Smartphone Has Destroyed. Nov 15, 2010, 12:49 Jim

They forgot one. Flashlights. Every week at the observatory we have people come up and somehow can't cope with the red (night-vision preserving) lights we have on and use their phone screens as flash lights, which prevent anyone else from keeping their night vision.

And wow is that 24/7 Wall St. site annoying! Trying to read the page and kept getting nagging pop ups.

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo