Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Jim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://www.theskyscrapers.org
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 16:59
Total Comments 2493 (Senior)
User ID 9255

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
59. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 10, 2013, 20:19 Jim

Wow, 20 years since DOOM. How the world has changed since then. And yes I wasted way too much time playing that game. I still remember blasting through the shareware version and eagerly awaiting the install-o-meter as I loaded the full version from the 4 floppy disks. Creating and downloading pwads was as much, if not more fun than playing the original game itself. And the graphics, wow in all of their 320x200 pixel glory (or would that be gory ). DOOM pretty much started me as a PC gamer, and also the creative aspect of playing with WorldCraft to create my own pwads... ah the good old days. Now where did I save that custom config.sys and autoexec.bat?

On the very same day, the Hubble Space Telescope became viable after a restoration conducted by spacewalking astronauts on STS-61.

Jim
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Todd Hollenshead Leaves id
5. Re: Todd Hollenshead Leaves id Jun 26, 2013, 21:40 Jim

Many good memories of playing id games so many years ago. I remember coming to Blue's News when it was essentially a Quake-only news site.

Now that Todd is out of the company is there anyone original left? Their website doesn't seem to contain a lot of info, and in fact doesn't even mention Rage (which I never played).

Oh yeah, and for those who remembered me as long-haired Jim back in the day, I actually cut it all off about a month ago--a first in over 2 decades.

Jim

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 17, 2013, 16:49 Jim

Twitter shut down their old API last Monday. They're forcing everyone to update to API v1.1, which is what I spent a good amount of time 2 weeks ago working on to update our projects.  
Jim

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 11, 2012, 12:25 Jim

Nice to recognize the Apollo 17 landing, although it's a good thing the command module didn't make the actual landing or else they'd still be there (the CM stays in orbit while the LM separates and lands). This reminds me of an interview with Jim Lovell during the 40th anniversary of Apollo 8. Someone asked him if his crew had considered executing an unplanned landing. I think his response was simply "no, because we didn't have a LM."

And speaking of lunar landings, we will be making 2 of them next week, as Ebb and Flow (the twin GRAIL probes) reach the end of their mission and will be deliberately crashed into the lunar surface.

Jim

37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 30, 2012, 12:37 Jim

Good to know that a power outage is the only issue you've had in the storm, Blue. You deserve the day off.  
Jim

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Sep 28, 2012, 13:48 Jim

The sudden and unexpected falling apart of 38 Studios...

Bullshit. EVERYONE knew this was a bad deal from the start. Everyone but the morons at the EDC that is.

Jim

21. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 18, 2012, 22:02 Jim

Collective Soul rocks. I made my own "Shine" video from my trip to Mount Wilson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLL7BnTcio

Jim

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2012, 13:34 Jim

Wow, I've been so busy this is the first time I've been to Blue's in over a week. What'd I miss?  
Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
6. Re: Into the Black Aug 14, 2012, 23:39 Jim

lol @ Ghost Tits  
Jim

News Comments > Into the Black
3. Half-Life 3? Aug 14, 2012, 08:59 Jim

Trending topic on Twitter right now.  
Jim

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 17:48 Jim

So if you have clear skies tonight (not here) the Perseid meteor shower peaks. This is the best one of the year where you don't have to deal with -10 degree temperatures.

http://www.theskyscrapers.org/2012-perseids

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2012, 18:09.

Jim

News Comments > Rhode Island & Mellon Bank Taking Possession of 38 Studios
9. Re: Rhode Island & Mellon Bank Taking Possession of 38 Studios Aug 10, 2012, 19:41 Jim

LightAssassin wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 13:14:
Which can take weeks to complete... What the hell... Who is taking weeks to copy files or image hard drives then wipe them???

Must be a gov. organization

It's not any ordinary government, it's Rhode Island! Actually, I expect nothing to be gained from retrieving the assets. In fact, I don't expect the assets to be retrieved at all. The computers will probably end up in storage somewhere after they hire an intern to sift through the data, file a meaningless and inaccurate report on what is there, and that will be the last we hear about it.

Jim

News Comments > Rhode Island & Mellon Bank Taking Possession of 38 Studios
8. Re: Rhode Island & Mellon Bank Taking Possession of 38 Studios Aug 10, 2012, 19:38 Jim

DarkCntry wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 11:26:
I eagerly await the products of the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, I'm sure they'll be stellar AAA titles! Thinking

They already did, it's called Grand Theft: Taxpayer.

Jim

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Jul 26, 2012, 13:19 Jim

That is one of the most poorly written articles I've seen in quite a while. Spelling and grammatical errors galore, and WPRI (not WRPI) is a television station, not a publication.

Here's the source article.

Jim

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2012, 13:43 Jim

I don't think it's a required upgrade. I'm still running on 10.6 with no issues.  
Jim

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 23, 2012, 12:35 Jim

FPV quadricopters are becoming quite popular in the hobbyist market. These are essentially "personal drones." I'd love to get one, not that I want to use it to spy on someone, but they give a unique perspective to familiar surroundings and would be fun to take on trips to exotic locations. (Look at Team Blacksheep on Yourube or do a Youtube search for "TBS Discovery".)  
Jim

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 15, 2012, 13:11 Jim

Sites like Digg never did anything for me. It was one of the first content aggregator sites that really add nothing to my web experience other than adding another click to get what I want to read. Just give me the source link and skip the middle man. Same goes for Reddit, Boing Boing, Videosift, etc.  
Jim

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
16. Re: Infographic Jul 6, 2012, 20:31 Jim

Bet wrote on Jul 6, 2012, 17:16:
20,000 years is not when the dinosaurs were here, wtf.

Bad use of dino. Bad. Unless...ignoring science...

Heh, that's the first thing I noticed too. Reminds me of a recent trip I took to La Brea, where their oldest fossil was around 32,000 old ago and they have a sign specifically saying that "no, we do not have dinosaurs"

Maybe the people that created the infographic were part of the "young earth" movement or whatever it is called.

Jim

News Comments > Independence Day Metaverse
4. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 12:55 Jim

Ratty wrote on Jul 4, 2012, 12:34:
I guess I use iGoogle. I just like a bunch of news feeds on my google start page. I think I started doing that a few years back then they started calling it iGoogle or something and now they're not. Big whoop de doo.

If iGoogle is what they called the customized start page, than I guess I have heard of it (and used it occasionally until Google+ was introduced).

Jim

News Comments > Independence Day Metaverse
1. Re: Independence Day Metaverse Jul 4, 2012, 11:55 Jim

Mini = never heard of it
Video = thought it was killed off years ago
iGoogle = never heard of it

Jim

2493 Comments. 125 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo