Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bet

Real Name Bet   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 10:34
Total Comments 1272 (Pro)
User ID 9253

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: No subject Jun 14, 2007, 17:29 Bet

Hell I didn't think MAME played NES ROMs either for that matter. Maybe he's confused about what it is.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Shadowrun
20. Re: No subject May 30, 2007, 00:56 Bet

Um yeah PHUF, I guess you forgot about the first-person XCOM game then did you?

Enforcer was so very, very terrible. I played it to the end and I have no idea why. Halfway through I was wishing for the pain to end.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. DoW Platinum May 29, 2007, 22:58 Bet

Was just wondering last week when they were going to release the big compilation. Almost bought DoW Gold by itself (without Dark Crusade). Saves a few bucks this way if you get everything. Good deal.

News Comments > Tuesday Hardware Reviews
2. Re: No subject May 29, 2007, 18:43 Bet

And yet for some reason I find myself seriously considering a 2900XT. What a bizarre review.

News Comments > DIRT: Colin McRae Off Road Demo
17. Re: Starforce = no purchase May 24, 2007, 21:36 Bet

Unfortunately Sony's SecuROM is turning into what StarForce is - invasive as hell. It's starting with the Sysinternals tools, who the hell knows where it'll stop. Gotta love a copy protection that not only tells me that I have to put it in my newly installed SATA DVD burner (what? wtf not the ROM?), but also dictates that I can't use Process Explorer.

I have at least 3 SecuROM-protected games installed right now that refuse to run until I reboot, thanks to having run Process Explorer. Rebooting fixes it since it unloads the PE dlls from memory, but the next time I run it, again it requires a reboot before I can game.

StarForce is not the most invasive copy protection out there anymore. A sleeping giant was waiting, and now we're going to be faced with ever more restrictive SecuROM. Since Sony's targetting official Microsoft tools now, it almost seems their petty console squabbles are spreading to Windows. Yay!

News Comments > Gothic 4 Announced
29. Re: No subject May 23, 2007, 16:38 Bet

Silent Storm was originally published by 1C in Russia and designed by Nival Interactive. JoWood republished it, but they republish a LOT of things.

Their republishing has gone to the next level now mostly because they own both The Adventure Company and DreamCatcher Games. Well, actually DreamCatcher owns TAC and JoWood in turn owns Dreamcater since late last year. Fun stuff.

On Gothic, I picked up Gothic 3 for cheap about a month ago and was waiting for another patch before playing. Looks like there might be no reason to wait any longer!

News Comments > No DirectX 10 Supreme Commander
25. Re: No subject May 21, 2007, 20:16 Bet

Gotta love SupCom. The battles are mindblowing, and when you've got the hardware so you can use dual monitors without killing your framerates, it really is the highest level strategic experience that you can imagine. It will most likely remain the benchmark for the genre until TA3..er, SupCom 2. Or whatever the next spiritual sequel is called.

News Comments > Black Day for the Black Box
29. Hoping May 20, 2007, 01:50 Bet

Got my fingers crossed for a $36 preorder on Steam for the Ep2/TF2/Portal combo. That's why I bought Ep1 now that it's been on sale for $10, in anticipation of a cheap combo of the new games.

News Comments > Awakening for Half-Life 2
3. Re: No subject May 20, 2007, 01:48 Bet

Opposing Force eh. Thanks for mentioning that, you earned this mod a download.

News Comments > Combat Mission: Shock Force Delayed
9. Re: No subject May 18, 2007, 17:48 Bet

I was looking forward to it hitting next month too, but would have been shocked if they'd made it on time.

News Comments > UFO Afterlight Delayed
2. Re: Strange... May 18, 2007, 00:10 Bet

Yeah really, was thinking the same thing.

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Simulator Patches
6. Re: Wow May 17, 2007, 14:43 Bet

Ouch.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Easy Financing May 17, 2007, 09:34 Bet

Blue taking potshots at the Optimus keyboard is amusing. Engadget can't seem to get tired of it, I wonder how the keyboard guys feel about that.

News Comments > On Shadowrun Pricing
25. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 22:13 Bet

there are plenty of ways to reduce "virtual clock speed".. plenty of ways around this if you know what you are doing

No kidding. Hence my initial argument of 24 year old games that "run perfectly" without any user intervention. I even referenced DOSBox in reference to the ones that don't run perfectly for crying out loud, which would be the ones without the "impeccable compatibility" I speak of. Hopefully you understand now.

The day Shadowrun hits the 48 hour special (96 hour? 118? who knows) at GoGamer it's ordered, probably to rest on a shelf until DX10 becomes a requirement for a monumental title like Alan Wake. The last time a situation like that occurred for me was when I bought a game on a CD and had no optical drive for close to a year. Man I hope Alan Wake is out before June 2008.

After playing Genesis Shadowrun again I know I have to support the first franchise entry in a decade, even if it is a bastardized version of the source material. Hell, the naysayers might be wrong and it could be fun even in the face of all adversity.

News Comments > Lost Planet PC Demos
2. Ack May 15, 2007, 21:49 Bet

Bloody hell, was expecting a multiplayer demo for some stupid reason. I should have actually read the demo announcements!

18. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 10:31 Bet

Yeah, and now? Pick a game and it runs at lightspeed, even though we're still on x86 hardware. The most common problem for all PC games really, even Fallout 2 suffers from it. And there are innumerable glitches with the majority of DOS games, which has taken a considerable effort on the part of the DOSBox team to work out, and they're still not done.

News Comments > GeForce 8800 Beta Vista Drivers
10. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 09:37 Bet

I said 6 months, not 3 weeks. I realise prices for the 8800gts model have dropped quite nicely over the last few months, but half a year ago you couldn't have picked up any 8800 model for less than $800au.

What I said still stands.

What problems are you having with the current drivers?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 04:58 Bet

A new AA mode which blurs the image including text and edges? Are they crazy? No one wants a feature which blurs the image when the last few years everyone was trying to get a sharper picture.

What's amusing is that at the high resolutions (>1600x1200) the $300 and up video cards are designed for now, anything over 4x is so barely noticeable that it's not worth running. And Nvidia keeps the anisotropic filtering crown after an ATI followup? Never thought I'd see that day happen.

I love AMD, or rather did love them until they kept prices on the X2 processors so high for so long with no further innovation. Bought a Core 2 Duo in August with no regrets as it was 5 times the value for the money than any AMD offering by my benchmarks. Considering my processors since 2000 have all been Athlons, it was an abysmal time for the outlook of the company. They had been the victors for the price/performance factor for that long. Shattered by the Core 2, with no retaliation yet.

I'm really hoping ATI can turn things around. The only thing keeping me from going the 2900XT route over the 8800GTX (aside from the current $100-150 price difference) is the fact that their Fixed Aspect Ratio scaling sucks for LCD monitors. That's it, it's the only thing. And it's still enough that I'm holding out for a $100 price cut on the 8800GTX. I hate this.

This comment was edited on May 15, 05:00.

News Comments > GeForce 8800 Beta Vista Drivers
6. Re: No subject May 15, 2007, 04:40 Bet

How about some new fucking drivers for my god damn 7950GX2. Haven't even owned this card for a year and Nvidia considers it obsolete?

There were new Vista drivers for the 7 series about two weeks ago, the same day as the latest update for the 8 series XP driver.

While I don't use Vista right now, and am experiencing no bugs with my 7900 in XP, I'd be upset if the thing had issues. But considering I'm overclocking the card by 30%, the dozens of games I've played since the last November update have been perfect. Hell, I didn't even update to the November release until a few months ago, since the 91.47s I was using were glitch-free until I tried Icewind Dale. 93.71 fixed that problem right up.

I'm more concerned that they get the Geforce 8 XP drivers polished by the time I make the jump. Considering the state of the Geforce 8 drivers, the 7 series is perfect.

This comment was edited on May 15, 04:41.

14. Re: Why are people bitching about this? May 15, 2007, 04:31 Bet

So how can developing for a machine with one hardware combination cost more than developing for thousands of computers with thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, of hardware combinations?

You'd be amazed at how easy it is (relatively) to program a game to be compatible with EVERY hardware subset. There are DOS games from 1983 you can load up right now in XP with any computer in the world and it will run perfectly because they were programmed with impeccable compatibility.

Optimizing games, on the other hand, can take some work. That's when you start to get into hacks/workarounds and other tricks, or using specific features of hardware available. That is the sort of thing that breaks compatibility, and can cause headaches for people trying to port games from one system to another. The more hardware-specific tricks they use, the more incompatible it is.

With a fixed-spec hardware (consoles) it can take a lot of effort to get things running smoothly, with a PC you can just be told to upgrade (system requirements). Which is what Microsoft wants you to do to play this game, for example.

While a lower cost to PC gamers may lure some people indecisive of the wheter or not to buy it.

It would take having a substantial price cut on Vista for gamers to make most people get the game, since buying it and not being able to run it due to your operating system doesn't jive well with spending habits.

Considering the rape of the Shadowrun license in this game, maybe it's just as well I can't play the game on any of my computers. Will just have to plug in a gamepad and load up the classic versions of Shadowrun on Genesis/SNES emulators instead!

This comment was edited on May 15, 05:21.

1272 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 49.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo