Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bet

Real Name Bet   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 10:34
Total Comments 1272 (Pro)
User ID 9253

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > Valve and id Afoul of the GPL?
52. Re: No subject Aug 9, 2007, 18:41 Bet

So your accusation of no credit being malicious is almost certainly stupid. Why don't you try and read your own damn posts before trying to insult me for not reading them. If I'm not mistaken, you don't even have to include that file via the licensing agreement. If they were as offended as you are, then they should've released their own license.

So that means you're the kind of guy that condones Ubisoft's company-wide policy of not including developer credits in the game manual, even the electronic PDF one. Fantastic, I was wondering when one of you would pop up. Didn't think there were sympathizers among the gaming populace. Not wanting to read the credits is one thing, but wanting them removed entirely? Extraordinary.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: No subject Aug 7, 2007, 05:21 Bet

"and that no one will catch it" was your words, not mine.

That was referring to the simple text files, which were omitted in the original release. I've got a hangup with publishers screwing people that do the hard work by not giving them credit by name. As such, AUTHORS.txt is the only file of the 3 that I care that was left out in this situation. GPL be damned.

In a hurry to make a few bucks on legacy titles, id or Valve left out credit to the people that make it so that the games can be played easy as pie on modern systems? That's what was classy about the whole situation.

41. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2007, 22:15 Bet

Do you really think they were trying to hide it based on the belief that no one would try alt + enter ever? Don't be ridiculous.

Golly gee whiz mister, you sure insinuated a lot of things based on my post. You're a winner!

26. Re: No subject Aug 6, 2007, 17:17 Bet

I think their explosion over at Slashdot is more about hating "the man" than enforcing what the GPL stands for.

I love id and Valve games, and don't have any fondness for Slashdot. But the idea of anyone using DOSBox's code (or any other GPL protected code) without giving credit is disgusting. Valve is no doubt going to make sure that people know it was corrected, but it's hilarious to think that they screwed up something as simple as credit where credit is due and that no one would catch it. Sleazy to the extreme.

Still tempted to buy the pack, but bah. Kind of takes all the wind out of the sails for doing it. Guess I'll wait until the 9th and see what Valve and/or id has done to acknowledge that they're dumbasses.

Edit: And if you think Valve and id fanboys aren't bashing DOSBox right back for being giving, you're not reading enough forums. It's disgusting how STUPID people on forums like halflife2.net are. Wow. Well, maybe more hilarious than disgusting.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 17:19.

News Comments > Left 4 Dead in 2008
1. CHET Aug 3, 2007, 21:23 Bet

This news sucked until I saw that it was Chet from Old Man Murray being quoted. Awesome presenter presenting irritating news for zombie game fans. Curious emotions.

News Comments > Site Seeing
4. Re: Fallout Site Aug 2, 2007, 23:18 Bet

I'm a Fallout fanboy and all I focus on are the vaults, which are looking sexy. So yeah, I'm happy. As long as there's enough vault action. Don't stiff us on that Bethesda

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 23:19.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
2. Torment Aug 2, 2007, 22:49 Bet

I'll be damned. Interviews with Planescape: Torment devs. Especially weird since I just started replaying the game again. Nice timing! Only play it once every few years so very good timing.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Haha Aug 2, 2007, 15:34 Bet

New York Post and Uwe Boll burns in one very short sentence. Bam.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
4. Re: The blog is... Aug 2, 2007, 14:41 Bet

Reminds me of the Sikhs getting angry at Io Interactive for Hitman 2.

News Comments > Codemasters and GameTap
6. Re: starforce? Aug 1, 2007, 21:59 Bet

I was talking about GameTap. All of the games that have had Starforce before coming to GameTap, the protection was left out in the GT release.

4. Re: starforce? Aug 1, 2007, 18:56 Bet

Wasn't in Soldiers: Heroes of WW2, so it's probably safe to say they have to (or choose to) leave it out. Every single file related to the game is encrypted via the client that GT uses to distribute the games, so it does the same thing as Starforce anyway. Doesn't need root access like SF though, since you have to communicate with GT's servers to play the game.

1. It continues Aug 1, 2007, 17:32 Bet

GameTap just keeps pulling in the publishers. My investment in a yearly account for easy (and legal) access to older games is really starting to pay off.

Which is confusing, because this doesn't make business sense to me. How can they be pulling in games that cost $30-50 onto a subscription service that's at most $10/month, and often much less than that? Considering bandwidth costs, licensing fees, and that sort of thing.

Overlord coming tomorrow. Thursdays were already my favorite day of the week, but this is just solidifying it! Sega Channel could never touch this.

News Comments > S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Patch Update
17. Re: ... Jul 31, 2007, 20:56 Bet

I found it to be all 3 of those things Prez, and then some, especially with the dynamic lighting on. The lighting sets the mood, as they say. With it off it still looks as good as HL2 (and runs as fast on my system), but definitely not like the DX9 game it is.

News Comments > Supreme Commander Patch
8. Re: No subject Jul 31, 2007, 16:02 Bet

Yeah I've been reading that on the forums. Interesting stuff. Can't wait to see the chaos brought about by the expansion.

News Comments > Combat Mission: Shock Force Ships, Demo, and Patch (Updated)
3. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2007, 23:34 Bet

More than that, bought it and played some. Massive facelift from the CMX1 engine, while retaining the same realism and strategic complexity from the previous Combat Mission games. Modern combat seems to move at lightspeed compared to WW2 combat though, and modern weapons are like a slap in the face. Loving the game so far.

News Comments > Evening Q&As
2. Re: No subject Jul 26, 2007, 22:21 Bet

It's definitely a lot neater.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
3. Re: quotes Jul 26, 2007, 18:39 Bet

Undecided.

News Comments > Red Orchestra Patch Plans
3. Bloom Jul 26, 2007, 15:48 Bet

The bloom in the first version of RO:O was aggravating. Looks like they might have actually fixed it so that it actually DOESN'T make the game look like you're playing as a nearsighted person with cybernetic eyes. Even at 1280x960 the digital blurring was intolerable. Seems fixed from the screenshot posted though.

News Comments > Sam & Max: Season Two Announced
1. This fall? Jul 25, 2007, 17:33 Bet

Excellent, just excellent. Nice that non-GameTap subscribers are no longer going to be penalized, but I'll keep playing them on GameTap. And then if the season is good enough (like Season 1 was) I'll sneak in the last few days of the season pass and still get it cheap(er) through TellTale. Then all the good parties involved get rewarded. Excellent stuff.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: No subject Jul 25, 2007, 17:10 Bet

Not better service though. Cingular's (AT&T whatever) network is a joke.

1272 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 47.
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo