Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bet

Real Name Bet   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 10:34
Total Comments 1272 (Pro)
User ID 9253

User comment history
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

News Comments > Spaceships Ahoy - Sins of a Solar Empire
66. Re: Stardock Feb 5, 2008, 18:08 Bet

I win.

You're mentally ill, aren't you.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gold - The Club
10. Re: kinda weird Feb 5, 2008, 18:06 Bet

Totally off topic, but I just picked up Sins of a Solar Empire on my lunch hour. Can't wait to try this out! I knew I should have called in sick today...

Just as well you didn't call in sick. Chances are you'll end up getting into a game that you refuse to quit, playing too long into the night, getting sick for real, then needing to use a sick day for actually being sick. And for playing more Sins.

News Comments > New American McGee Game Unveiled
4. Re: Hmmm Feb 4, 2008, 11:45 Bet

Is there any truth to the idea that id failed to utilize McGee to his abilities at id or is it that he has gained in skill set since then?

We might find out more when the Grimm episodes start being released.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
7. Re: Linux VS Vista Feb 4, 2008, 10:40 Bet

3) Blackthorne (The DOS version from 1995...)

Wouldn't want to run that on ANY OS outside of DOSBox. That goes for every DOS game. Not even DOS is better for games as far as I'm concerned. I'm an hq3x filter whore though.

News Comments > Sales
7. Re: Crysis sales? Feb 2, 2008, 00:20 Bet

Ditto. I have heard many in recent threads on Blues point out Crysis as a poor seller. That is obviously incorrect. 1 Million units sold and counting is damn impressive for a PC game.

Goes to show how much faith you can put in reports you read, although I haven't seen many people referencing more than the 2-week sales figures that counted for the whole month of November that was quoted around 70K copies. Crysis was sure a hell of a lot more worth the money than UT3, so I imagine that still bombed. Curious as to how many copies they're up to for UT3 now.

Wondering if The Witcher has now come close to selling its 1 million shipped copies yet. I picked up my copy after they made their million shipment press release so I helped them get closer at least.

News Comments > Sales
4. Re: No subject Feb 1, 2008, 19:17 Bet

I'm a big-big fan of DropTeam. It's a lot of fun.

Likewise. Been wondering if the newly-added-to-GameTap version of DT works online, but since I picked up DropTeam last time it was on sale from Battlefront I haven't bothered to investigate.

News Comments > Mark Rein - Consoles "Stealing" Hardcore PC Gamers
108. Re: Mark Rein Feb 1, 2008, 09:58 Bet

Mark Rein is a dip stick, at least consoles aren't stealing UT3 players from PC. Epic lost those players because they made a crap game, they can't handle that, so they are willing to blame anything they can find.

UT3 - Epic Failure

Unfortunately for once... I have to agree with Carver. Ugh, talk about a bad day. I bought UT3 the week it came out. Collector's Edition even, because it was apparently the only copy in stock at the nearest Best Buy and that was with someone checking the warehouse. And I was happy because I skipped the Special Edition for UT2004 back in 2004 and always regretted it.

So $63 later, I played for approximately 6 hours. Graphics are amazing. Optimized great for my system, framerate is constant 60 FPS with vsync on, 4xAA, 16xAF, 1680x1050 and everything else maxxed. Graphics are amazing. Yeah, that's pretty much the best thing about the game... The netcode hasn't improved at all since UT2004, hell it feels like it's gotten worse. And for a supposedly multiplayer-oriented game, that's a death sentence. The story mode they added is terrible and the people that thought of adding it to UT are terrible people.

Mark Rein can try to rationalize the disaster that afflicts UT3 sales however he wants. The 'beta demo' however showed everyone what the game was like enough for most people to steer safely clear. I made the mistake of thinking my gaming buddies were going to be playing UT3 competitively, and that's the only reason why they had a sale from me.

Turns out all those guys enjoyed talking about The Witcher more than we enjoyed playing UT3 online. Meanwhile the $30 I spent on The Witcher has already provided 50 hours of gameplay and that's still counting. Figures will likely be $0.33/hour for The Witcher vs $10/hour for UT3. GG Epic.

News Comments > Mark Rein - Consoles "Stealing" Hardcore PC Gamers
22. Re: No subject Jan 31, 2008, 12:00 Bet

Oh Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanker!!! Here boy! Here Wanker!

You might be scared of what else that's a call for besides Mark Rein.

News Comments > Men of War Announced
2. Co-op Jan 31, 2008, 11:47 Bet

Wonder how much refinement in the co-op mode there is. Thing I love most about this series is the improvement in co-op with each game. And that it's one of the few strategically minded PC WW2 games that actually HAS co-op. Hidden & Dangerous 2's expansion is the only other one coming to mind at the moment.

Also looking forward to seeing how much they've improved the 'blow apart every building for fun and games' element.

Chances are the release will be delayed until the end of the year, where it will face another Company of Heroes expansion. And then be destroyed at retail like Faces of War was in September 2006 when it competed against the original CoH. Great timing, that.

Edit: Figures they'd omit the screenshots with the buildings being blown apart from the bundle they sent to Blue. That was the only part of the game that was superior to CoH in Faces of War, aside from the co-op. This series has the worst marketing tactics associated with it. At least they have a few on the product page.

This comment was edited on Jan 31, 11:53.

News Comments > UFOs Head to SimCity Societies
1. Alien Jan 30, 2008, 14:23 Bet

The giant black spider-like alien ship attack disaster in Simcity 2000 was always the most interesting one to inflict on your city. It's such a ridiculous thing that it really should be in every game with the name 'SimCity' attached to it.

News Comments > Gold - Sins of a Solar Empire
23. Re: Homeworld Jan 30, 2008, 02:01 Bet

We are releasing a special Bonus Pack on day 1 including modding tools, more maps, more special planet content, Galaxy Forge (map editor), balance updates, and a few minor upgrades.

So awesome. So very awesome. Makes up for the lack of a beta update since v4. Then again I wanted a break from the beta so that retail really felt like a special occasion. Having the beta for so long almost made having the game on my computer feel tame.

News Comments > Valve Releases Steamworks
18. Re: ... Jan 29, 2008, 14:54 Bet

Yeah, I mean, implicit in my example is the fact that a person who bought the game (or reinstalled it) after the 3.03 patch came out, even if they turned auto update off, couldn't patch to the 3.02 version. It was either the base 3.00, or 3.03.

Actually in a case like this (where I assume you mean you're downloading the game from scratch from Steam with no copy already on your computer), wouldn't it be 3.03 no matter what?

News Comments > Valve Releases Steamworks
15. Re: ... Jan 29, 2008, 14:36 Bet

That's missing the point. If the end user has the ability to choose to install patches or not, then you can't simultaneously claim "Auto updating: Insures all customers are playing the latest and greatest version of your games."

One of those two options is wrong.

Amusingly good point here.

News Comments > Evening Screenshots
2. Disciples 3 Jan 24, 2008, 20:24 Bet

Looking good. Hopefully the gameplay doesn't suffer for the improved graphics.

News Comments > Tarr Chronicles Prequel
4. Re: will it work this time? Jan 24, 2008, 14:46 Bet

Seems like a lot of the reason the bugs exist is that they don't have the large variety of computers to test the game on like better funded developers have access to. Though if you report the problem and you send them a debug report, they seem to quite often get the problem fixed.

They fixed the multi-monitor problem within a day of someone reporting it on the forum last month. Pretty impressive, although it's still not in an official patch yet.

News Comments > Tarr Chronicles Prequel
2. Re: will it work this time? Jan 24, 2008, 14:04 Bet

Any error message or anything?

My problem with the game is that it wants to run on my secondary monitor. They've already fixed the bug, it's just that the patch containing the fix hasn't been released yet, so if I want to play the game on the monitor sitting squarely in front of me, I need to disable Dualview and go to clone output. Which isn't a problem, it's just annoying to get back into Dualview.

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Unofficial Patch
5. Light gone after loading Jan 10, 2008, 17:37 Bet

Merged light-gone-after-loading fix with MemFix

This has me curious. The traffic lights being stuck on perpetual red after a while was always what bugged me most about Bloodlines, even in the original version when I had to use the console trick to get past the cave crash.

Thinking I need to replay Bloodlines to see if this fixes what I hope it fixes. Also, widescreen tools included in 4.4? Talk about neat stuff they're adding.

Edit: Looks like it addresses this problem

http://forumplanet.gamespy.com/bloodlines_tech_support/b50391/19603011/p1/?30

Which is still a nice fix. Surprised I never noticed this.

This comment was edited on Jan 10, 18:04.

News Comments > Fallout 3 Diary, Art
3. Re: O Hell Yea! Jan 9, 2008, 22:49 Bet

After reading this dev diary on the Brotherhood of Steel...well, I agree with you, so you're not alone. I had my doubts about how they were using the Brotherhood in Fallout 3. Not anymore, although god I hope they didn't make Lyon's faction too pussy. Even in Tactics they still usually put the citizenry second unless it benefited them technologically. And in Fallout 1 it took them having their backs to the wall to do anything about the supermutant threat there.

Fallout 2's Brotherhood was shameful, and...well, let us not discuss the console Fallout. The 'Fallout' that Herve Caen went with instead of Van Buren. CAAAAAAAAAAAAEN.

Please have unexplored Department of Defense vaults. One like The Glow, where they send you in expecting you to die. Let me relive the sheer awesome 1997 feeling I had, Bethesda.

Although SMA is right. This could be dumbed down to the max. Argh ARGH.

This comment was edited on Jan 9, 22:50.

News Comments > Free Portal: First Slice for GeForce Owners
4. Re: Same maps? Jan 9, 2008, 14:06 Bet

Weird. I just added this, and the 'order' information said:

This offer contains the items listed below:

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Portal: The First Slice
Peggle Extreme

They included Peggle Extreme and didn't mention it??

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik Beta Patch
3. Re: Wow Jan 8, 2008, 14:19 Bet

1946 is pretty much the end of the line for IL-2 products. It combines Forgotten Battles, Pacific Fighters, the Ace Expansion Pack, and the 3 mini-expansions developed by RRG studios (only one of which was released independent of IL-2 1946).

The 'm' in 4.09m is for merged, which stood for the merged installation of FB + PF + AEP up until 1946's release last year. I'm pretty sure this is only able to be installed on top of 1946, but I'm not sure. Patch feedback on the 1C Maddox forum http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=2462

As far as Adwwar goes, only the rules on the Rules page have to be followed, and none of them are language-related. I can't count the number of times people were talking in Russian or German or some other language with funny characters, but it's...well, interesting. Even with the language gap, there's still a cohesion flying together just because of the harder nature of the server. Forced cockpit, no map icons, no aircraft tags, and limited supply of the more powerful aircraft.

As far as how Adwwar plays... you learn to navigate the maps by studying the rivers outside the aircraft since icons are turned off. And I landed an IL-2 M3 with my elevators and rudder knocked out TWICE because my squadron couldn't afford the losses of the M3 model. My palms were sweating both times.

Turns out ELEVATOR CONTROLS DAMAGED/RUDDER CONTROLS DAMAGED is another thing stemming from the 2001 engine, at least according to developer rumor. They never updated the damage model for the IL-2 itself to Pacific Fighters standards. Half of the time you get hit by heavy flak on Adwwar in an IL-2, you WILL lose your elevators and rudder.

Crippled flight back to base, navigating by the rivers, and then landing by throttle and ailerons alone is the most solid memory of the IL-2 series in my head from 6 years of playing. I did not want to lose those M3s, damn it! They're the only fucking versions of the IL-2 that can kill the late-war German tanks with cannon alone, and they were only available in limited quantities to my squadron.

Edit: Crap, yeah I think the only big sticking point with Adwwar is that you need to register as part of a 4 man-minimum squadron to play. My Adwwar squadron fell apart last summer as several of us got into Company of Heroes for our multiplayer WW2 kick.
This comment was edited on Jan 8, 14:31.

1272 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 38.
< Newer [ 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo