Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bet

Real Name Bet   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 10:34
Total Comments 1272 (Pro)
User ID 9253

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 27, 2012, 04:36 Bet

I don't think Avery Brooks wants Microsoft Surface..  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 16:29 Bet

nin wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 16:27:
Reading scifi like a normal nerd now, but good lord is reading more fun than I remember.

It gets mentioned here from time to time, but if you're not read Altered Carbon, go grab it now.

I haven't, so I will!

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 22, 2012, 16:16 Bet

Beamer wrote on Oct 22, 2012, 11:43:
Doesn't look splotchy to me in those pics, and most reviews say it's much less splotchy than competitors.

But I haven't purchased one, either. I would love the light, but even though reviews say that the touch page turning is much easier than before I'm still not bought in. I typically read with one hand (haha, sounds pervy, but typically the other hand is supporting my head as I recline) and having to move my thumb to turn the page seems like a way to drop the device. Just pushing my thumb in a bit is easy.

Seems like just another example of people freaking out over physical buttons. I prefer them. Hate the touch buttons on my phone that are too easy to accidentally swipe and would hate not having physical buttons on my Kindle.
The competitors are built more cheaply, I think (they're named Kobo Glo in all territory but the US). I read the same way you do (I think it's pretty terrible for our spines, but whatever), I've found that with the last-gen keyboardless Kindle (with hardware pageflip buttons) and a kickass cover for it http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Lighted-Leather-Paperwhite-Keyboard/dp/B004SD1ZPY/

well, with that combo I've been having more fun reading than when I was a teenager and enjoyed the overly emo WoT series. Reading scifi like a normal nerd now, but good lord is reading more fun than I remember.

Definitely fun because e-ink kicks all ass.

News Comments > Obsidian Hopes Project Eternity is a Series
6. Re: Obsidian Hopes Project Eternity is a Series Oct 20, 2012, 15:52 Bet

Axis wrote on Oct 20, 2012, 15:06:
Considering they were behind what many consider to be the greatest PC RPG's of all time, I'm already convinced of it's coming greatness.
I just hope they don't abandon post-apocalyptic games. Considering so many of their lead devs were Fallout-related.. oh well, maybe after PE3.

News Comments > GOG.com's Interplay Sale
7. Re: GOG.com's Interplay Sale Oct 19, 2012, 21:25 Bet

jacobvandy wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 20:05:
And isn't Interplay only one guy now, who holds the rights to all those old games and is just getting royalties from the sales? It's not like they're going to be able to take an infusion of cash like this and make something worthwhile. Why do they deserve the fundraising over anybody else? What's the point?
Pretty much. His name is Herve Caen. You pronounce it like Kirk pronounces his famous scream from Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. Coincidence?

News Comments > GOG.com's Interplay Sale
3. Re: GOG.com's Interplay Sale Oct 19, 2012, 19:44 Bet

Nucas wrote on Oct 19, 2012, 19:42:
i actually find it somewhat pathetic how interplay manages to barely hold on to life, year after year.
Modern medicine has machines to extend a life no matter the problem - brain, kidney, or corporate!

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 18, 2012, 01:09 Bet

jimnms wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 23:34:
sliv wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 18:52:
Oh Ricky, you're so clever! Yeah, cause, it's a fact that all religious people want to shoot children and, like, support other religions who shoot children.

I originally thought that Twitter was useless, but apparently it has this unique ability for people to show just how dumb they really are.
Arkansas Legislative Candidate, Endorses Death Penalty For Rebellious Children
That's one way of dealing with children who have high-functioning autism/asperger's, I guess... bit heavy handed though.

News Comments > Gone Gold - Tropico 4 Gold Edition
3. Re: Gone Gold - Tropico 4 Gold Edition Oct 18, 2012, 01:03 Bet

LittleMe wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 22:43:
I found T4 to be very stable in the post-campaign stages with expansive island developments, unlike T3. I like continuously developing and improving my island in sandbox mode so T4 was a big step up from T3.

Agreed, I thought it was quite a lot more in the spirit of Tropico 1 than 3 was. Haven't touched the expansions, but the base game is a home run.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Raises $5M
14. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 20:28 Bet

Flatline wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 18:00:
Keith wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 12:43:
I don't think the game is solid or fun at this point. My take is that some are so invested in seeing a successful mech game that they are willing to dismiss obvious and glaring problems. That is just my opinion. The graphics, the 'mech set up, the maps, the teams, the weapons, everything I see needs major tweaking. There is some inherent fun in knowing you are blowing some nameless face on the other side of an internet connection up, but beyond that MO isn't even as smooth or playable as some of the most basic FPS shooters. I don't get the sense that I am in a 75+ ton machine of death, striding over the battlefield to kill and be killed. I want to feel like those missiles are going to blow some shit up, or my PPC is going to make you think twice about popping over that ridge.

Well originally all the mechs had their tabletop armor values, but people were complaining that they died quickly, so they doubled the armor values of all mechs and only did slight weapon damage tweaking. That's why missiles and PPCs feel like spitwads.

It's been a very, very long point of contention with a lot of players ever since the choice was made.
It's going to get even more complicated with Endo armor being added. I kind of pity the devs having to make the hard choices. They get a lot of hate no matter what they do.

Pushing the open beta back was a very wise decision. Unlike people that are willing to throw down money on Founder's, the open beta public aren't going to be as favorable, in general. Good word of mouth out the gate from 'the rest of the world' would do this game wonders in the long term.

News Comments > Project Eternity Kickstarter Concludes
17. Re: Project Eternity Kickstarter Concludes Oct 17, 2012, 15:25 Bet

nin wrote on Oct 17, 2012, 14:54:
They posted a small bookface update with more coming soon...

The light from whatever device they used to post that probably sent them into a migraine so bad that development will be delayed a week. That drinking game was insane. I really hope someone switched out a few bottles of water in those vodka bottles. Otherwise we have a visual log of an unprecedented number of valuable developer brain cells being destroyed on the eve of their opus.

News Comments > MechWarrior Online Raises $5M
7. Re: MechWarrior Online Raises $5M Oct 17, 2012, 15:14 Bet

This doesn't seem possible. 40,000 people shelled out $120 for the legendary founders? 20,000 people did legendary founders, and 43,000 people did elite founders. 63 thousand takers?

That's would make it one of the most successful Kickstarter equivalents for games, in the top 5. And this game has a lot of problems for the mass crowd that will 'lone wolf' it like Thundr says.

If they had a proper matchmaker that had fair games for everyone and not just groups, they would have doubled this count. As it was, there was so much grumbling about the matchmaking in-game while Founder's/the NDA was going that I'm really worried about the monetization sustainability, if new players are scared off by pre-made mechs with better armor and weapons than anything the trial mechs can handle.

The good news is, with 60,000 people (sounds like a proper estimate to me, let me know if I'm wrong), that's easily enough to keep a playerbase by itself. F2Pers would just be an infusion of new blood to keep things interesting.

I want this game to do well enough so they can do a Campaign mode of some sort, co-op or otherwise. This is the best mech engine ever.

News Comments > Indie Royale Fall Bundle
1. Re: Indie Royale Fall Bundle Oct 16, 2012, 13:52 Bet

First 3 listed are all recognized as good. Reprisal looks exactly like the game I wanted to play earlier this summer and had no idea it existed (Populous-like). Bundles like this are a good time.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 16, 2012, 13:50 Bet

I know this tune...yeah...can't dance to it though.  

News Comments > Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow
15. Re: Diablo III Version 1.0.5 Tomorrow Oct 16, 2012, 00:56 Bet

eunichron wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 00:43:
LaxerFL wrote on Oct 16, 2012, 00:09:
Where did you get the idea that I spent 200 hours playing? I said I couldn't even finish Inferno. I think I played about 60 hours total. 55 on my WD and maybe 5 hours on the other bullshit boring classes.

I'm just confused why you would think I played for hundreds of hours?

Whoa settle down. I didn't mean you specifically, but players in general. Like Ozmodan down there who claims to have put 400 hours into it but says the game isn't fun . To which I reiterate, if one does not enjoy the game, why would one invest so much time in it?
Masochism.

News Comments > Project Eternity Q&A; $3M Goal Reached
32. Re: Project Eternity Q&A; $3M Goal Reached Oct 15, 2012, 00:28 Bet

Having the content of of both of the large cities from BG1 and 2 in the same game would give this game an average playtime of 120 hours as a rough guess.

Makes me wonder what they'd do with the $20 expansion addon you can tag on already. If they hit 3.5, would they add a third city in the expansion? A second continent? Hot damn.

News Comments > Roberts Space Industries Website Back
14. Re: Roberts Space Industries Website Back Oct 15, 2012, 00:21 Bet

Aside from my love for Starlancer and Privateer, this game is incorporating a lot of the best elements from Allegiance, and the internet is finally fast enough to pull off that game. Most excellent.

Mechwarrior Online has already made me fall in love with the vehicular combat capabilities of CryEngine 3. The first time I hopped into an Atlas in MWO (which was after about 20 games as a heavy-class Catapult), it really felt like I was piloting an Assault mech. The firepower it unleashed was astounding compared to the pair of PPCs and medium lasers I was used to.

Thus, I cannot wait to be piloting a frigate in Star Citizen with the turrets manned by people I know enough to trust will keep the pirates at bay while running high-profit cargo in the border worlds. Knowing that there are no tariffs at the cost of getting raided by pirates, unlike the inner-system worlds with high tariffs and police to keep people relatively safe, except from the exceptionally thrill-seeking pirates. Knowing that they're human pilots will make it all the more tense, which Privateer never quite attained at its best. Will be flashing back to Allegiance days when it was in its prime, hoping that my gunners can shoot if I line them up on target. Or sneaking around trying to get a solid ore base going to support the war effort on the front lines.

Damn I miss Allegiance, haven't had that pang in what feels like a decade. This will definitely fill the void nicely.

Also, for anyone who hasn't played it, Starlancer is AWESOME in co-op. Hard to convince friends to re-attempt a hard mission just to get a better ending in it though.

Add in mod capability, private servers, the people that made Freelancer multiplayer mods that rocked the house are going to have a field day with this game. Most of that was hacked in, and this is going to have support out of the gate. CryEngine makes that all the easier. I'm giddy.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 11, 2012, 15:32 Bet

Firefox just updated to 16.0.1 when I checked what version so that was a rather rapid hotfix. Some new features are apparent as well, since it didn't push the 16.0.0 to me yesterday.  

News Comments > Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced
50. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 16:32 Bet

Even the backup site is down now, wow. Both sites hammered to oblivion. Lots of love for this genre.  

28. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 13:36 Bet

ItBurn wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 13:34:
dj LiTh wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 13:32:
...20million to fund and +5million for there to be 'privateer like gameplay' and multiple systems to explore? ....at +3 million we get a storyline? I'm hoping they get all the money they need but they cant do those things with 20million, they need 22/23/24/25 million?

Woa there skipper. 2 million.
They should probably add commas, this can't be the only time someone's made that mistake already.

19. Re: Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Announced Oct 10, 2012, 12:29 Bet

Tumbler wrote on Oct 10, 2012, 12:26:
it comes out in Nov 2014?
Sounds like the Alpha/Beta are arriving much sooner, if that's some consolation. It is to me.

1272 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo