Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bet

Real Name Bet   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 10:34
Total Comments 1272 (Pro)
User ID 9253

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: No subject Dec 1, 2006, 05:27 Bet

If EA manages to fuck up a golf game company, then they are really talented. I don't think it's possible, but EA might amaze us all.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: That ign oc thing. Nov 27, 2006, 22:07 Bet

Now if only overclocking your CPU actually made a difference in real-world gaming performance...

Oh, it definitely does. The game has to be CPU bound as much or more than GPU bound however, so we're talking flight simulations or anything that requires an assload of computations. If you have thousands of bullets flying with constantly varying trajectories over a large battlefield, an overclock is going to help it a lot.

And the easiest way to gauge 'real-world performance' is to just look at benchmarks for the processors further up the line. If you have your E6400 clocked 10% faster than the E6700 is at stock, you're looking at 7-9% better than the E6700 on that benchmark (due to the cache difference).

That IGN article is a laughable attempt and I was hoping people would ignore it, hopefully it doesn't screw anyone. The math errors are just a few of the problems. But the guy is right about one thing: these processors were made to be OC'd, at least from everyone's first 3-4 months of using them.

I'd say the most interesting (and unintentional) result of my Core 2 OC was that 1080P Quicktime trailers went from a choking 20FPS to the full 25FPS without using a third party codec like CoreAVC, just using Apple's crap decoder, with only adjusting the FSB (no voltage modifications or anything). Got this thing 25% faster than stock speed, and the damn near silent Intel fan is only running at about 70% capacity, so heat-wise there's still a ton of room if I felt like messing with the voltage.

News Comments > Black Friday Previews
4. Re: Alan Wake Nov 25, 2006, 15:29 Bet

The price you pay for the API features you get with a DirectX 10-only title. Seeing what they've done with dual- and quad-core support, it doesn't surprise me that they'd want a minimum set of technical features for an impressive looking title.

I probably won't upgrade to Vista until this game is out. Company of Heroes is getting a DX10 boost in a patch, but that game is already mind blowingly great looking even without DX10. Gotta love an RTS that looks better than the PS3's 'killer' first-person shooter.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
4. Re: PS3's so weird Nov 18, 2006, 10:42 Bet

It sure is funny as hell though. Until you sit down to think about it. Then it's just horrifying.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
8. Re: Global warming Nov 17, 2006, 14:09 Bet

Of course, leaving your drive on non-stop for 24/7 will kill it too, especially if you don't have enough cooling.

Although leaving it spinning WITH cooling all the time is really the best solution. I haven't had a hard drive die mechanically on me in the 6 years that I've started leaving my systems running all the time. Anecdotal evidence, but it's enough to satisfy me.

Plus it's an excuse to run a Distributed Computing project like Folding@Home all the time. Now if everyone did THAT when they leave their computers on, hell yeah.

Edit: Forgot to mention that that's ~6 hard drives of different makes and capacities as well. Including a pair of the dreaded Deathstars. I got some of the few good ones, apparently.
This comment was edited on Nov 17, 14:10.

News Comments > The Late Show
1. This thing Nov 17, 2006, 00:02 Bet

Could be upcoming a LOT faster if they'd just sell this over Steam already. Take the 2 weeks, translate the little that's left to be translated, and digitally distribute this bad boy.

Instead I'm left seriously considering importing this game. The best plan for this is to get a British guy to buy the game for me and ship it to North America. Otherwise there's the waiting until February 2007 thing, whereas a large chunk of Europe will have their copies by the end of this month. Damn it!

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: No subject Nov 10, 2006, 18:36 Bet

innovation? WTF this is one of the best games to come out in years hey guess what its fun and the graffics are second to none, now if they can just get this over to PC so some mods can happen well what was Halflife?

That would be pretty sweet. At first I was just glad the 360 was getting a Halo-esque treatment by Epic. Now that this game is out and the cover system and weapons are actually fun...hell, after loving the cover system implemented in Company of Heroes, I now want this game sitting alongside it on this harddrive.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Splinter Cell: Double Agent
9. Re: No subject Nov 7, 2006, 19:31 Bet

Nonetheless, the PC version and the 360 version are identical when it comes to SP, while the lesser consoles have a slightly different game based upon the same storyline, with far less graphic detail, much like GRAW.

Well that's certainly good news. I'll probably pick this up when it goes on madness sale at GoGamer.

News Comments > Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar Preorders/Beta
5. Huh Nov 4, 2006, 02:12 Bet

Strange, I preordered this at least a month ago. Oh well, it's some solace that we get something to tide us over until it ships. Actually...hell, this is as good as having it ship in November. Especially since we can join in on the commentary while the game is still in...hm. Galactic Civilizations 2 actually never STOPPED being malleable due to customer commentary, has it?

Man I love Stardock. Just ordered Space Rangers 2 with my last 2 tokens (used the first 8 on GC 2 and Dark Avatar). Great game, no more Starforce. Downloaded at a solid 800K/sec. Even Steam can't do that. Although it's coming closer to being able to.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
16. Lie to Me Oct 25, 2006, 21:27 Bet

Reminds me of that song.

News Comments > etc.
1. Liches Oct 25, 2006, 10:26 Bet

I still remember the first time I encountered Kangaxx's tomb. The developers did one hell of a funny thing putting him where he was, in a place easily accessible to a new game. And being so far beyond anything you could kill until the endgame. A dire text warning (a wise gamer quicksaved right then), and a few clicks was all it took after you found the tomb.

'Man this is a cushy tomb. I wonder how the hell this is below a busy part of a booming city. Well, let's have a look inside. Hm...hm...oh GOOD LORD HE'S KILLING US ALL'

News Comments > Close Combat Revisited
9. Re: No subject Oct 21, 2006, 02:27 Bet

Wait a minute, I thought Close Combat was real time, not turn-based.

You thought right, it's realtime. That was one of its strengths. One of many, in my opinion.

News Comments > Gold - Sid Meier's Railroads!
2. Magnate Oct 11, 2006, 13:14 Bet

Time to take over the world again, one rail at a time. Loved this series since its inception, here's hoping the 4th one has the fun of all the previous ones, while still improving it. The locomotive variety is higher than the last and it's back in Sid's hands, so that's a step in the right direction.

Pretty funny about the GameRankings note in the press release.

News Comments > IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
9. Re: No subject Oct 10, 2006, 18:01 Bet

I recently started playing these games with a friend of mine who is a veteran of the series and he says it's rock-solid now (though there's like 8 patches which have to be applied in order.) You can also get Pacific Fighters for like $10 now.

Yep, not too many bugs left in this engine, but a whole lot more aircraft added since the Pacific Fighters release. Although buying any of the other games now is silly, since this whole package, which includes everything (Forgotten Battles + Ace Expansion Pack + Pacific Fighters + Pe-2) will cost $30-40. Looking forward to it immensely, the Arado is going to be hella cool. GoGamer will be carrying it, so no worries about the USA getting copies. Not sure about Canada though.

TrackIR adds to the immersion of this game immensely as well. If you're into sims of any kind, the TrackIR is so worth it.

News Comments > GalCiv 2 Expansion Expands, Delayed
6. No subject Oct 9, 2006, 19:26 Bet

Aw nuts. Was delaying my next game until this expansion had hit. Looks like I'm playing another game or 3 without the expansion

News Comments > Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Update
22. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2006, 04:23 Bet

I like it because it leaves behind all the bad crap that's in BF2, no jetwhores, no dolphin diving or prone spamming.

Except for all the bugs, hacks and exploits. And BF2 already fixed the prone exploits.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: HD movies on a PC? Not without a fas Oct 6, 2006, 03:21 Bet

Article sucks.

You're not kidding. Talk about trash, it's like the guy doesn't even know what the state of processors are. Anyone with an HD-capable display also has the money (and most likely motivation) to have a Core 2 Duo. Best damn processor I've ever used, and they're cheap as hell, considering their performance.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: No subject Oct 4, 2006, 16:29 Bet

This battery debacle just won't go away. Remember when Sony had to recall certain power packs for the PS2 a year back? I wonder if these two are related...

Probably related, in that poor quality control habits are extremely likely to follow different divisions in the corporate structure. Saving money is an immediate tangible benefit. It's just when you allow quality to get so crap that this starts happening that you can't get away with it anymore.

If the results hadn't been so dramatic as the defective batteries actually exploding, they would have gotten away with it too. Unfortunately I don't think the industry learns from other companies' mistakes as often as they should.

News Comments > Morning Q&As
2. Re: BF Oct 2, 2006, 18:17 Bet

If DICE made cars, they'd never run.

And people would still buy them. Citroen makes some of the most unreliable cars on the world's roads. And yet people keep buying them. They never tried to sell cars here past the roadster that we banned on a bullshit headlight issue, so we've never had to deal with them.

They do however have a record-breaking rally car that has unbelievable reliability ratings though. Probably due to the team of dozens of mechanics that go with the car. Too bad you don't get those with the car you buy at a dealer.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Silent Heroes
15. Re: No subject Sep 29, 2006, 22:43 Bet

Heroes will still be worth playing 10 years from now.

Hopefully a better game that does the same thing will be out by then, but I agree with you. Playing the absolute HELL out of Company of Heroes at the moment (~100 multiplayer matches already), but I still have a lot of love for S:HoWW2. Which is why I'm surprised about this, I had heard NOTHING about it.

For $20 and from Paradox though? Damn sale, that's what that is.

1272 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 55.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo