Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Bet

Real Name Bet   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Bet
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On Mar 7, 2001, 10:34
Total Comments 1272 (Pro)
User ID 9253

User comment history
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Previews
1. ETQW Feb 19, 2007, 21:01 Bet

Come on, open beta, open. Come on, COME ON.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
3. Re: UT console mods Feb 18, 2007, 22:27 Bet

If things keep going like they are, Total Conversion mods are going to be extinct in the age of UT3. Wouldn't put too much credit in a sensationalist piece like CVG's. Not even as good at getting the excitement going as an Inquirer bit.

A more realistic scenario is that of removing the nails from the coffin of the modern day total conversion. With the complexity of UT3 and the effort required to make a mod that's on the same level, money might be the only motivator to get people past their inherent laziness and long-development-time apathy.

My amusing optimistic scenario is that the PC players become the mod beta testers that they've always been for mods, and the 'final' product is what's sold on the Marketplace to console players. Money really is the only thing that's going to be able to get these complex mods out the door.

Hell, the best mod for UT2004 became a retail game due to winning a license from Epic in their competition, after having a great run as a UT2003/UT2004 mod. Part of its 'best' quality was that it had players every day at all times of the day.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
6. Re: No surprise about the PS3 Feb 18, 2007, 18:43 Bet

I don't want to buy something that will die out within a year

It could take more than a year for a failed console to actually go down. Sega fought hard with the Dreamcast for years. Sony will fight 10 times as hard with the PS3. Doesn't mean it will give them any better a chance.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: No subject Feb 17, 2007, 11:05 Bet

And hell, programs that show off the new features of each series of video cards are fun. I've mirrored all the tech demos from 2000 onward, so I can go back and go 'ooh' and 'ahh' about the fancy things from years gone that are so mundane now.

That Tidepool demo for the Geforce 4 is still my favorite. Silent Hunter 3 ended up doing water better a year later, but the demo had its time in the sun.

News Comments > Company of Heroes Patch
13. Re: I have yet to get this Feb 16, 2007, 04:48 Bet

As for the rest I should be ok, with a E6400 and a 7900gt.
but still not realy expecting to max everything graphicaly.

You will max everything with that system, and with 2 gigs of RAM you can also set the Textures to Ultra even with a 256 meg 7900GT. So long as it's under 1152x864 res that is, it gives you a warning when enabling Ultra with video cards that have less than 512 megs of VRAM, but at lower resolutions, everything was set to maximum on my E6400/7900GT setup. Though when I bumped the res to 1680x1050 I had to lower the textures to High to keep the FPS above 30.

For multiplayer, with a system that fast you usually sit waiting for people to load, ranging anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, depending on how bad the hardware is for your multiplayer opponents. And then another 10-45 seconds once everyone is loaded and ingame depending on how high of settings the people with the slower matchines use. You know you're in for an awesome fight when all 6 players in a 3v3 game synchronize within seconds, since everyone has their settings right for their systems. But those happen too rarely.

As a side note, this game has excellent widescreen display support.

And apparently they added support for DirectX 10 shaders in this patch, but I can't select it. Damn you Vista!

News Comments > Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars Demo Soon
26. Re: Not Interested Feb 15, 2007, 23:55 Bet

I'd save a ton of money if I trusted anyone on Ebay :/

For the record, my top of the line machine cost about $1100 in August, not including case, monitor, or speakers. Would have been $1300 if I'd opted for the best vidcard at the time, or more if I hadn't gotten a cheaper Core 2 and just overclocked it past the X6800 speeds. If you do want to include the 20" S-IPS widescreen I got in October, then the system cost $1400. It was shocking seeing what it cost to get similar (and not even as high quality) hardware from Dell/Alienware and the like.

Building them yourself saves a TON of money. Not bad when building these things every so often IS the sometimes-hobby! Major builds every few years or so, minor upgrades like the vidcard every 1-2 years.

Edit: And I think I get games with major multiplayer on release day because the average player's skill goes up over the months. Getting a game like Quake 4 now and joining a multiplayer server would be a disturbing shock to most people, since the majority playing seem highly skilled. For popular games like Company of Heroes or the Battlefield series this isn't as much of a problem, but for some it is.
This comment was edited on Feb 16, 00:08.

24. Re: Not Interested Feb 15, 2007, 02:52 Bet

Hmm, you have very low expectations for a game yet you preorder it for $40..?

Sure, when MSRP is $50. $10 saved right off the bat helps. And when it's an automatic buy for me since EA is all but calling this Kane's game. I've said it at least a few times on Blues already, I dig Kane. He might win this one, somehow. Somehow...

But the gameplay is almost assuredly going to be weak, in these days of Company of Heroes and Supreme Commander. Generals is still fun, but it's nowhere near as satisfying a multiplayer game as CoH.

News Comments > Company of Heroes Patch
2. Tons of changes Feb 15, 2007, 02:41 Bet

So many changes in this patch it made my head spin while reading the changelog. Talk about tweaking a little bit of everything. Playing 1.5 takes some getting used to as well.

News Comments > C&C3 Demo Details
14. Re: No subject Feb 14, 2007, 20:22 Bet

C&C3 will be nothing like the original. And that is sad

It will have the corny cutscenes, complete with Kane though! Reason enough for me to buy it. Kane has been my favorite bad guy since he blew Seth's brains out.

He's due for a victory in the storyline sooner or later. Maybe third time's the charm.

News Comments > Gold - Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
5. Re: w00t! Feb 14, 2007, 13:25 Bet

Video game violence causes world wars! Er...wait.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Close Combat: Cross of Iron
2. Re: No subject Feb 14, 2007, 04:47 Bet

The sad thing is most people interested in this game probably don't care that it's overpriced considering what it is. We buy it anyway, but then it's because even with all the RTS games on the market, there's never been a series like Close Combat. Combat Mission fills a lot of the same ground, but its a completely different feeling game.

Letting me use 1680x1050 flawlessly on my Core 2 system was really all I could ask of it. It's done that, so hooray. I could hope that the next one they fix up for modern systems is CCV, but I don't actually know which is next up on the plate.

The end result if these re-releases do well, is a real Close Combat VI. No overpriced recreation then, just a new game. Seems these re-releases will be testing the ground.

19. Re: Not Interested Feb 14, 2007, 04:37 Bet

This is the same argument that most C&C fans use to bash Generals. To me, not feeling like C&C was a good thing because the C&C formula was in dire need of evolution.

No kidding. It's absolutely painful to play the early C&C games once you've been spoiled by the new king of RTS, Company of Heroes. I did the full install of the First Decade a couple nights ago, bouncing around from classic C&C game to classic C&C game. Only able to stand a couple missions at a time from the early ones. The first ones are the best overall (whoo corny cutscenes), but Generals is definitely the best GAME. Lacking Kane is its only flaw really.

Kane is the only reason I'm buying this one. Preordered for $40 from GoGamer, so it's no big loss if it's only good for the cutscenes. Will still grab the demo from Fileplanet, but my expectations for the actual game are very low.

News Comments > Site Seeing
1. Shock Force Feb 13, 2007, 00:36 Bet

Looking forward to this more than even Supreme Commander or C&C3. Combat Mission is a hell of a series, steep learning curve, but unmatched strategic action when you get down in it.

Can't wait to see their rendition of modern warfare.

News Comments > Star Trek Legacy Patch
31. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2007, 14:19 Bet

While high/low marks from reviewers do gain the attention of publishers for various reasons, it seems they look more to the weighted average aggregate score sites (GameRankings, Metacritic, etc) for the benchmark. There have been instances where they're taken issue with review sites/mags for actually blowing the average on the aggregate sites. Like with what just happened with CGW/GFW, upsetting Ubisoft with their unsually low-scoring Dark Messiah of Might & Magic review.

What is worth noting is that they had separate reviews for the PC/X360 versions. The bigname sites like IGN/Gamespot are consolidating the PC/xbox/playstation reviews, just referencing their on their respective sections, sometimes with one unique paragraph for the 2 or 3 reviews, with the same score amongst them. This speaks to the differences in quality of the releases on the different platforms.

I'd be more worried about the sales figures really. If the console version outsells the PC version 5-fold, well then. Money talks louder than reviewer words, that's for sure.

It's amazing that Bethesda hasn't just come out and announced the X360 version of Fallout 3 yet. It's inevitable. They're probably just trying to delay the death threats from angry No Mutants Allowed forum posters.

News Comments > New Half-Life 2 Eternal Silence
4. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2007, 10:19 Bet

Dystopia seems like the only mod so far to get consistently high numbers. Its first 'Final' release will be interesting. The version 4 Demo right now keeps pulling in the numbers which is surprising.

Figuring that part of the apathy to these mods is why there are fewer Total Conversions being embarked upon. I'm going to try this one, but like Iron Grip I fear that there will be no one playing. Fortunately I'm a sucker for cyberpunk so Dystopia is there when others aren't.

News Comments > Star Trek Legacy Patch
24. Re: No subject Feb 11, 2007, 10:16 Bet

The biggest problem is that the X360 fared much better in the reviews so the company suits will probably use this as an excuse to cut back further on PC releases.

64% for X360 vs 60% for PC from the GameRankings aggregate doesn't scream 'much better' to me. Marginally better, but still a failing grade no matter the platform.

News Comments > IL2-Sturmovik: 1946 Patch
7. Re: IL2 Feb 7, 2007, 09:25 Bet

I haven't played any of the other variants of the game, not sure if my aging PC could handle them.

It'll run the same so long as you use the same settings, possibly even better. The way they made the engine is that they turned things on gradually as computers got faster, but the end result is that if you could run IL-2:FB fine, you'll run this fine. And if you get a better computer, you can turn on more eye candy.

Solid way to design the game engine, really. They're apparently going to be doing the same thing with Storm of War: Battle of Britain.

News Comments > The Longest Journey Patch
1. Wow Feb 6, 2007, 11:50 Bet

I'll be damned! Time to replay TLJ.

News Comments > Darwinia Vista
4. Re: Vista Jan 31, 2007, 13:54 Bet

I'd looooove to see how parental controls affect Darwinia. The game is as nonoffensive as a game can be and still be that cool.

News Comments > Ships Ahoy - Battlestations: Midway
5. Re: No subject Jan 30, 2007, 20:39 Bet

Caused a really severe Windows issue on my machine, which is strange. Processes wouldn't die, and started taking 100% CPU in the background. Weird stuff. A shame because I really would be into this game otherwise

1272 Comments. 64 pages. Viewing page 53.
< Newer [ 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo