Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Beaner

Real Name Beaner   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Beaner
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Mar 3, 2001, 10:40
Total Comments 512 (Apprentice)
User ID 9214

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Nears
65. Re: Well tough UT2003 Sep 17, 2004, 23:26 Beaner

T:V feels like UT2003 with jetpacks. It is more about the pacing, the slow weapon speed vs player speed. It's about graphics over gameplay..

Im not going to say T.V is UT2K with jetpacks because it is far better. BUT, I have to agree with VultureMAN regarding the "feel" of the game and weapons speed etc. I know Irrational tweaked the engine a LOT, and they did well, but the game still has this heavy gravity, less dextrous feel to it compared to T1 or T2. There is just something about the Unreal engine that changed the feel of the game.

Sniping is slow and players in flight are jaggedy and shifty in the air, The jetting is worse. Sure the skiing is maxed to the extreme, but now the quick smooth jetting is gone. granted a lot of this can possibly be fixed, but one thing I can say about the torque engine used in T2. It is smooth.... whether its objects flying in the air, weapons being drawn or weapons fired.

Perhaps why many make the T.V is UTK..argument. It does have an Unrel engine feel, especially if you've been playing Tribes a long time and know how T1 or T2 feel. I have to say for massive gameplay T1 engine and Torque are still incredible even compared with todays latest games.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Nears
64. Re: Sep 17, 2004, 23:08 Beaner

I think the best thing about this game is going to be the mod scene. It's gonna rock.

I have to agree with you on the modding of the game. T.V out of the box is a bit bland and boring compared to T1 gameplay or T2. Basically Irrational has created an extensive training game in the singleplayer, and the multiplay aspect of the game although watered down may offer some extensive exciting mods that could rival many released titles to be released.

Its just a damn shame that noone can just make the base game out of the box as thrilling as the excitement that came the first time T1 was released. T2 sucked out of the box, but now with mods like classic it rivals T1 and in many ways its a far deeper and more fun game to play.

News Comments > Morning Previews
7. Re: No subject Sep 17, 2004, 02:00 Beaner

Have to agree with you on T2. Even though T2 did suck at its initial out of the box launch due to bugs and the slownesss of the game, the current patched game with classic is still even better than T.V. Its sad. T2 classic is actually one hell of a game.

T.V may improve, but sadly it will depend on mods.

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Approaches
67. Re: asdf Sep 9, 2004, 22:44 Beaner

t2 or tv have nothing to do with tribes they are just some pieces of software garbage trying to captalize on a good game.

I dont think you quite read my statement correctly. I said the T1 version of Renegades WAS BETTER. Hello.

And no I completely disagree with you about T1 being the only thing Tribes. Yes T1 was the first and the innovator. T2 added extra dimension to the game with vehicles and new weapons. The only reason you T1 only guys couldnt handle T2 was because the release out of the box was plaqued with bugs,d the hardware requirements where insane for the time, and base T2 was slow as hell.

I played T1 forever. I too disliked T2 base, but with the latest patches and mods like classic, T2 is much more modern, improved game. its smoohter, the physics are better. Not to say T1 isnt still a good game, but please.

Now that you have a Radeon (and maybe ditched the voodoo card) you may want to install the current patched game and jump on a classic server. It has all the fun elements Twitch fast gameplay of T1 and the team play, massive map strategy aspects of T2. Irrational listened too much to T1 only diehards thats still whine about T2.

66. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2004, 22:35 Beaner

Er, I think Beaner means the command screen, not the console

You are correct sir! But I appreciate Mr Levine responding =) Seriously though, I do respect Irrational devs, but It kind of shows that they didnt really play Tribes much until they actually had to work on the game. T.V isnt bad, but there are still a lot of changes that could make it much better such as adding back the command screen so at least you can set waypoints etc.

Many die hard Tribes players DID use features such as the command screen that someone new to the game, such as Irrational would think was pointless. Guys like Kinetic Poet helped bring some vet opinions in the game, but hes more the fast twitch type player from The Tribes world.

News Comments > TRIBES Vengeance Demo Tomorrow
17. No subject Sep 9, 2004, 20:51 Beaner

=( Tribes has been whored out like a commercial console Bi..

This make meh angry very angry. For the love of god, someone from the original Dynamix team please step forward and lets build the Tribes we have all been waiting for since the birth of T1. Yes T2 had a bad introduction, but you've learned, Torque needs an upgrade (the real engine for Tribes) and you now know decreasing speed is a no no.

T4 could be An uberfied Tribes with elements from t1 and T2 classic. Im tired of all this tweaking with what works crap which is T.V.

59. Re: No subject Sep 9, 2004, 03:26 Beaner

People actually used the Sensor Jammers?

Yeah, you know like people that have played Tribes longer than 1 year.

48. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2004, 23:09 Beaner

Well Ken at least you listen and we do appreciate that.

I understand that sometimes we gamers underestimate the time and work it takes to make a great game or work on a new version of a classic.

Now put back the command console, sensor jammers, beef up the jets, improve the horizontal jetting...

Ok I'll stop there...

47. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2004, 23:01 Beaner

I lubbed Renegades (not that disgusting "Ultra" version though).

This is where T1 is still better than T2. Renegades for T2 was inferior.

46. Re: No subject Sep 8, 2004, 22:44 Beaner

anyone who played alot of tribes 1 + 2 knows this has the same feel - when you are hovering above someone getting a bead on them with the disc launcher; as you ski up hills; perhaps accidental ram into a wall at 200mph... yeh they did pull out alot of the cooler obscure stuff like sensor jammers..

and why the hell do they need to tinker with standard inner workings of the game. Thats what really ticks me of the most.

Probaly because during the closed beta, they weaned themselves to the extreme left and right. The extreme left player: The newbie Tribes or console player and the Extreme right player: The lpb "Im on a lan and want to cap out the map" player. You know the folks that get angry when you put vehicles in the game.

They forgot about everyone in the middle.

but even if its not in the retail release its all going to be added in later, in a mod called "classic Tribes"

Well hopefully your right regarding classic. The classic mod for T2 turned it from a loser of a game to a better version than the orignal T1. Classic T2 rocks.

If Dynamix just had more time to weed out T2 bugs, and if T2 didnt have the extreme hardware requirments for its time, it would have actually been a great successor to T1. In its current form with the latest patch and mods like classic, T2 is a great game.

44. Re: Go ahead and polish that GotY trophy, Sep 8, 2004, 22:27 Beaner

because the best shooter of 2004 is almost here. Nothing else this year will top T:V's gameplay.

I really want to agree with you. But after playing this beta, The biggest Trophy will once again probaly go to Counterstrike for HF 2. Sure, I agree the gameplay in Tribes has more deptth, but unlike Counterstrike for HF2, T.V is not very familiar as T1 or T2. Instead of taking the best of both t1 and T2, improving on the graphics, netcode, and adding new elemnts on top, they decide they need to overhaul many of the games defining elemnts and it shows.

Its focus is for the quick twitch, console player, and most work obviously went into the story gameplay VS the mulitplayer game which is what defines Tribes as a game.

and Yes Starsiege mod looks like a hopeful saving grace for the game.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 22:29.

42. Re: yawn Sep 8, 2004, 22:18 Beaner

T:V is going to fucking rock.

Like a boulder sinking in the ocean... Actually the only way this thing is going to rock is with some serious modification. Perhaps thats why Mr Levine mentioned "it will be easy to mod". They are out of time, deadlines are to be met, and the games coming out pretty much as the beta stands with bug fixes and some slight tweaks to skiing, jetting and weapons. Thats it. If you played the beta, you pretty much played the game as is.

41. Re: blah blah blah Sep 8, 2004, 22:09 Beaner

I feel the same way. I wouldnt quite say T.V is UT2004 with jets, but the use of the Unreal Engine, and some odd tweaks to the physics and watered down nature of the game tends to make you feel this will yet be another dissapointing Tribes release only to be improved by mods.

Its just unbelieveable that a game franchise like Tribes has had so many missed opportunities, I mean honestly, I think the original crew from Dynamix should be brought back, with lessons learned and take time to build the ultimate Tribes game. The one so many have been anticipating ever since the first taste and innovations brought about when Tribes 1 made it debut.

Do you frickin realize this game innovated so much and done right could exceed numbers of those playing Counterstrike or Quake? Guess not.

Now I know how a company like Xerox could have passed up PARC, or why a company like Apple would never see the sense in liscensing.

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance - Release & Demo Soon
40. Re: UT w/ Jetpacks? Aug 29, 2004, 06:14 Beaner

The UT with jetpacks comments is because the game doesnt feel as fluid as T1 or T2 (specifically T2 classic) Yes, the jets are fast but it feels like your heavier and you have uber jets dragging you along. Also, the jetting and skiing is kind of goofed up. In T1 and T2 it was "jet" and ski downhill. In T.V its more complicated because you need to use seperate binding to slect jet, to jump jet and to ski...kind of goofy and akward.

For some reason T1 and T2 had the fluid movement that led to exciting flag chases etc. I just dont get the same thrill or feel in T.V. Its hard to explain.

I almost feeel like I would have rather waited for a rebuild of a newer torque engine etc for the next tribes game.

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance Nears Gold
69. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2004, 03:23 Beaner

Get two or three experienced players with a chain gun and theyll take your tank out in several seconds.

68. Re: No subject Aug 23, 2004, 03:18 Beaner

Vehicles only suck to lpbs who use to love doing the ski cap dominate thing in Tribes 1. Vehicles came along like tanks and bombers, and all of a sudden they couldt just stand their sniping 1 hit head shots on everyone in a stacked game. It was BOOM death from above and your poor ego gets bruised. Vehicles ad a new dimension to the gameplay and if you owned anyone in a tank througout the whole game its because you played on a server loaded with newbs.

Get on a server with me an try dominating with a tank and you'll simply become fodder for my taking.

I get so flippin tired of you elitist shitheads that think folks using vehicle to kill you, destroy your base etc are newbs.

What makes you a newb is how you use the vehicle and if your dealing tk's every 5 min to your teamates. The same way a satchel or mortar is newb if your killing your teamates in the process.

Tribes 2 was a deeper game because of the vehicles. Yes, its speed sucked in the base game, but the classic mod fixed that.

67. Tribes 2 sucks no longer Aug 23, 2004, 03:03 Beaner

For all those idiots who still play Tribes 1 and consistently call tribes 2 a piece of crap, you need to wake up from your slumber of 4 years.

Yes Tribes 2 sucked when it first came out. One because its hardware requirements were well beyond the common machine specs of the time, and secondly there were the bugs etc.

Today, however, with the latest patch and the "CLASSIC MOD" I repeat "CLASSIC MOD" Tribes 2 is actually a better and funner game to play than Tribes 1. Yes "BASE" tribes 2 is slooow. Grab your self the classic client get on and enjoy some modernized tribes 2 gameplay.

My god you actually think the klunk of shit vehicles in Tribes 1 are better then the vehicles in Tribes 2...Please.

9. Re: No subject Aug 22, 2004, 09:51 Beaner

Personally I think disc mining is as much a part of tribes as the laser rifle, jets and spinsurfer.

Take any one of those elements out and its not tribes anymore.

Hopefully the third person only in vehicles will be changed ether through a mod or before the game comes out.

4. No subject Aug 22, 2004, 06:01 Beaner

and I can tell you now it won't be a tribes2. So far I haven't had a single crash unless I did something I wasn't meant to and the frame rates are very playable and are getting better with each new release

Yeah that sounds familiar. Remember all the same supposed comments about how stable and wonderful Tribes 2 would be.

Damnit they seem to speeding up the process without any open beta. There are still many issues. disc launchers speed, third person only view in vehicles, the no disc mining ability etc etc.

Be careful. screwing up once worked out with patches and mods like classic for tribes 2. Screw up Tribes Vengeance and it will kill the game.

News Comments > TRIBES: Vengeance Open Beta Soon?
62. WOOT sign me up Aug 18, 2004, 20:57 Beaner

Awesome I cannot wait.

512 Comments. 26 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo